Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #29: They're Playing Our Song (Exclusive Monthlong Challenge)

Comments

• Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Ha, but I made the darn thing work. For how long, I don't know. Funny what you can accomplish when you lose a connection. :D

Yep, Donna.. when one is under fire, and their addiction is on the line, well it is amazing what you will come up with.. so how is the duck tape holding out?

:lol4:lol:lol:lol
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Some reason I don't think my choices so far will have any issues with that (a link to the song might be needed though)

What era are you digging from? lolrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Yep, Donna.. when one is under fire, and their addiction is on the line, well it is amazing what you will come up with.. so how is the duck tape holding out?

:lol4:lol:lol:lol
    :lol
    well, it took a can of air to blow all the moisture out of the box. I had been trying that all day, but I guess I hit it just right this time.
    Duck tape is a good idea for the NEW box the phone guy WILL be putting up. No rain will get in there if I Duck it!mwink.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    I gotsa feeling there is going to be a lot of doubling up on this..

We need a dibs thread..

first posted in the gallery gets first dibs.... a Toto tune comes to my mind....[now heading for the camera]heheheheheheeeeee, whaaaaahahahahaaaaaaha.

j/k....I think i have my idea, i just need to see if it turns out....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    Ohhh. This is tricky. Do you take a picture first, and then find a song title to fit it. Or do you think of a song title, and then compose a shot? If you go with the latter, purer, approach, you'll really have to be careful on the song title. If you choose Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World," how do you do this justice with a single picture. So you'll have to choose something more obscure. There are some classic, silly country song titles (e.g., "Your Wife is Cheatin' on Us Again," and "It's Hard to Kiss the Lips at Night that Chew Your Ass Out All Day Long"), but I think the punk band The Cramps might have some songs well-suited to literal, photographic interpretation:

"Eyeball in My Martini," "Naked Girl Falling Down the Stairs," "Don't Eat Stuff off the Sidewalk," "Bikini Girls With Machine Guns."

shoot with your vision in mind...if it does not turn out change your vision to what the camera gave you...:D thats what i do.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    first posted in the gallery gets first dibs.... a Toto tune comes to my mind....[now heading for the camera]heheheheheheeeeee, whaaaaahahahahaaaaaaha.

j/k....I think i have my idea, i just need to see if it turns out....

ohhhhhh, no ya don't.. Toto is grandfathered in Aaron.. deal.gif

I wish.. ........where on earth would I get the elephants and giraffes to pull that off? Then there is the issue of Aborigines.. haha.. you pull that one off and I will eat my camera lens.. mwink.gifwinkmwink.gifwinkmwink.gifseamus
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    well, it took a can of air to blow all the moisture out of the box. I had been trying that all day, but I guess I hit it just right this time.
    Duck tape is a good idea for the NEW box the phone guy WILL be putting up. No rain will get in there if I Duck it!mwink.gif

Well being American, I am sure you have some sitting right there in the old junk drawer ready to go..... Good Luck with it............Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    ohhhhhh, no ya don't.. Toto is grandfathered in Aaron.. deal.gif

I wish.. ........where on earth would I get the elephants and giraffes to pull that off? Then there is the issue of Aborigines.. haha.. you pull that one off and I will eat my camera lens.. mwink.gifwinkmwink.gifwinkmwink.gifseamus
    ooooo Kat, be careful there. That glass could hurt going down.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Well being American, I am sure you have some sitting right there in the old junk drawer ready to go..... Good Luck with it............Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Have some, it's a matter of which color to pick! :D
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Have some, it's a matter of which color to pick! :D

That figures.. HA HArolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

Glass? Naw... I don't think I have anything to worry about.. There is no way Aaron could pull off the Aborigines.. lol
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    That figures.. HA HArolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

Glass? Naw... I don't think I have anything to worry about.. There is no way Aaron could pull off the Aborigines.. lol
    you never know with Aaron. He is the same one that gave us a giant foot stepping on a mountains a few challenges ago. http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/7665489_5MDks#496044326_HaWaT
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    What era are you digging from? lolrolleyes1.gif

I listen to alot of more "indie" music which have alot of really crazy song titles/lyrics they are mostly NYC and Boston bands, as well as a few from random countries around the world that could be added to my song/photo idea list. (some titles might need translation)

I already started to make calls to set some of these up, this is going to be a great month!!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    On a related note, I'll be around intermittently during July (leaving on a jet plane), so the fabulous Greensquared has agreed to help answer any questions you may have during my absence. clap.gif Of course, supermod Erik will be lurking in the shadows. mwink.gif

So continue on as you were! Emily's words are better than mine anyway. thumb.gif

Have a great vacation Kerry - well deserved!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    many many of my DSS shots are with a P&S... you cant tell me you left without one of those did you?

Actually I didn't bring a camera of any kind, I do have a camera on my iPhone, but its not the same lol. Where I am at your not allowed to have them. Sucks!!!!

michswiss wrote:
    Being half-way around the world is a good thing. Being there without a camera is BAD! Where's half-way for you?

Half-way is Afghanistan!! Gonna be here till August... So yeah I basically just get top watch all the wonderfull stuff you all come up with!!! But I'll be in on the next one!!
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:
    UGH!!!!!! I wanna play in this one sooooooo bad!!!!! Darn, why do I got to be on the other side of the world with no camera... :cry This should be a good one! My two favorite things music and photography!! Somebody take a shot for me!!!

You have a month to borrow a camera....even point and shoots are great especially if you have PS. lol

Would that be a Shot of the man Jose Cuervo, No Training Wheels??mwink.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Can't wait to see what everyone does with this one! I'm always stunned by the creative variations on the theme people put together for these challenges. For this challenge theme the possibilities are endless.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    This is going to be a tough one. I've been thinking how can i do this? and what song?

how in the world does someone present a photo that somebody can derive a song from it?

its like...ok, get an America Flag for the back ground, then a farmer with a John Deer hat held to his chest covering his heart and i have the "Star Spangled Banner".

ok, thats a easy one.... but now how would i do a Metallica song? ne_nau.gif

seriously i wonder how important it will be in the voting, that the voter knows the actual song we are trying to present...

so maybe i better stick with notorious songsne_nau.gif OLD MCDONALD HAD A FARM...E I e i o
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    This is going to be a tough one. I've been thinking how can i do this? and what song?

how in the world does someone present a photo that somebody can derive a song from it?

its like...ok, get an America Flag for the back ground, then a farmer with a John Deer hat held to his chest covering his heart and i have the "Star Spangled Banner".

ok, thats a easy one.... but now how would i do a Metallica song? ne_nau.gif

seriously i wonder how important it will be in the voting, that the voter knows the acually song we are trying to present...

so maybe i better stick with notorious songsne_nau.gif
    You realize we probably did this to ourselves... posting all those links to songs. We gave her the ammo and she used it!
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009

I know, I was thinking the same, and cannot stop laughing about ghinson's post: rolleyes1.gif
    Ohhh. This is tricky. Do you take a picture first, and then find a song title to fit it. Or do you think of a song title, and then compose a shot? If you go with the latter, purer, approach, you'll really have to be careful on the song title. If you choose Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World," how do you do this justice with a single picture. So you'll have to choose something more obscure. There are some classic, silly country song titles (e.g., "Your Wife is Cheatin' on Us Again," and "It's Hard to Kiss the Lips at Night that Chew Your Ass Out All Day Long"), but I think the punk band The Cramps might have some songs well-suited to literal, photographic interpretation:

"Eyeball in My Martini," "Naked Girl Falling Down the Stairs," "Don't Eat Stuff off the Sidewalk," "Bikini Girls With Machine Guns."

.... and it will be very fun to watch all the entries too... :lol4 :lol :lol4 :lol
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    You realize we probably did this to ourselves... posting all those links to songs. We gave her the ammo and she used it!

naughty.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009

seriously i wonder how important it will be in the voting, that the voter knows the actual song we are trying to present...

On a serious note, I think this is likely to happen on the same level as the Emulation Challenge. There's an aspect of trust. I've been thinking about what musical artist would inspire an image and wondered whether anyone would even know the artist.

I've also wondered about the need for this to be a month challenge. Longer challenges seems to bring out more PS work than photography. No problem with that, but it's not my forte. I think my solution is going to be select an album and take a thematically consistent series of shots for each track. Maybe one will be good enough to submit.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    ... I think my solution is going to be select an album and take a thematically consistent series of shots for each track. Maybe one will be good enough to submit.

Wow... this requires some serious knowledge of music...headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    naughty.gif

ohhhhhhhhh... confirmed... See, she is listening...eek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Yep,,, we stepped in it for sure this time Donna...:Drolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    A moo-moo here and a moo-moo there..
    so maybe i better stick with notorious songsne_nau.gif OLD MCDONALD HAD A FARM...E I e i o

Awww, that's so cute Aaron..

there ya go, E-I-E-I-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HA:giggle:giggle:giggle

wait, wait.. I got one for ya...She'll be coming around the mountain...wings.gif

Metallica huh? hmmmmmmm... seeing you pull that off will be interesting indeed,,, so if ya decide to go with that one >> I get front row seats :D
    I wanna watch.. ha ha ha..

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Kat
    Kat, with all of us, don't ya think we should change that "moo moo" to
    ....a cuckoo here and a cuckoo there...?
    :Drolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Kat, with all of us, don't ya think we should change that "moo moo" to
    ....a cuckoo here and a cuckoo there...?
    :Drolleyes1.gif

Your right Donna.. much more fitting... :D
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    I listen to alot of more "indie" music which have alot of really crazy song titles/lyrics they are mostly NYC and Boston bands, as well as a few from random countries around the world that could be added to my song/photo idea list. (some titles might need translation)

I already started to make calls to set some of these up, this is going to be a great month!!

Looks like your hot on it... Good Luck.!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Aaron you just have to plaster someone with sand and have them walk through the a door or entrance. Enter Sandman.
    Just have to talk someone into the karo syrup and sand sprayylsuper.gifsuperylsuper.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    There's an aspect of trust. I've been thinking about what musical artist would inspire an image and wondered whether anyone would even know the artist.

Well, since the title has to be the song, it's easy enough to google it.... :D

I dunno - I keep trying to figure out how I can do "Che gelida manina" or "Winterstuerme" or something. Unfortunately, it seems that opera really digs winter instead of summer.... rolleyes1.gif (And would the artist be the composer or the singer.... hmmm..... ):lol4
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    For musicals, operas, or other stage/film songs, composer would be more helpful. thumb.gif