Options

The Coupons Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    TheOnlookerTheOnlooker Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    chickc1 wrote: »
    I have a question regarding coupons added to a customers order. When I charge a sitting fee, I include (1) 8x10 and (2) 5x7's. If I charge $15 for an 8x10 and $8 for a 5x7, should my coupon be $30 off the total amount? Or should it be handled differently. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks. :D

Hi,

When you are dealing with coupons, there is not a way to specify what prints are going to be ordered when offering the coupon. In a case like this, you would want to let your customer know that they would be getting the 1 - 8x10 and 2 - 5x7 prints for free using the $30 coupon. If they order something other than what is being offered, there is some back up...

If you have a customer who wants to use this coupon for something like 10 - 4x6 prints, what you can do is make sure your orders have a Proof Delay set so you can catch this in time, have us cancel the order and make sure they know that they will NEED to order what you have specified. You can learn more about proof delay here:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93355

Let us know if you have further questions. thumb.gif

-Kevin
  • Options
    chickc1chickc1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2011
    Thank you so much Kevin!!!!

Hi,

When you are dealing with coupons, there is not a way to specify what prints are going to be ordered when offering the coupon. In a case like this, you would want to let your customer know that they would be getting the 1 - 8x10 and 2 - 5x7 prints for free using the $30 coupon. If they order something other than what is being offered, there is some back up...

If you have a customer who wants to use this coupon for something like 10 - 4x6 prints, what you can do is make sure your orders have a Proof Delay set so you can catch this in time, have us cancel the order and make sure they know that they will NEED to order what you have specified. You can learn more about proof delay here:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93355

Let us know if you have further questions. thumb.gif

-Kevin
  • Options
    JJNYCJJNYC Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    for now, yes.

TWO years latter... and STILL Screen Grab only... ok... SO ANY idea IF and when this is going to change..
    Also... It would be GREAT if you could make coupon templates.. I have to recreate the same coupons over and over again.. COme on Smug mug.... fix this.. its tedious. .. and wastes everyones time.

Its ALL I want for Christmas... you have 12 weeks!
  • Options
    mhedstrommhedstrom Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2011
    I'm new to coupons, and can't figure this out. Can I have a coupon without a coupon code? I create a new coupon for a percent off a couple of my galleries. If I don't enter a code, I get a "please enter code" error when I try to save the coupon. I just want a straight 10% off without entering a code - is there a way to do that?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    mhedstrom wrote: »
    I'm new to coupons, and can't figure this out. Can I have a coupon without a coupon code? I create a new coupon for a percent off a couple of my galleries. If I don't enter a code, I get a "please enter code" error when I try to save the coupon. I just want a straight 10% off without entering a code - is there a way to do that?

Sorry, every coupon needs to have a code.
  • Options
    Prettym1k3Prettym1k3 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Andy,

I have a client who is making their Christmas cards through my site. I have provided them a code, but apparently the code does not work for these particular items. Can you tell me why?

I'll fire off an email to customer support as well.
    Michael
    Michael James Photography
    http://www.michaeljamesphotostudio.com
  • Options
    seanhoytphotoseanhoytphoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    mhedstrom wrote: »

Don't use a coupon for this. Got to each gallery individually and select Set Prices. I believe you can do a filter at the top to the effect of something like "reduce ALL With prices by [%]" then later do the inverse to reset.
    \\\ Sean Hoyt \\\
    /// www.affinityseattle.com /// <-yes, you want to check that out.
  • Options
    seanhoytphotoseanhoytphoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    I have to say, Coupons are a huge feature that still feels very limiting.

1. Coupons still can't be specific to a product, not even a category such as "only prints" or "only downloads". That would be a useful step. I can see the difficulty tying it to, say, Metal Prints, as you can attach multiple galleries to a coupon that offer differing products. This doesn't mean it's impossible and, really, it's just a series of database queries to find the products that overlap and then allow us to choose from those results.

2. By now I expected coupons to be smart enough to be multiuse but limited to one use per email/address/IP. The info is entered by the customer, it just needs to be connected to the coupon.

3. Admins should be able to spawn a new coupon from a gallery and see what coupons are attached in the Galley Settings.
    (same goes for Events)

4. Users should be able to add the coupon to the cart, not make them wait until the last screen at checkout. Right? Isn't that pretty much SOP for the whole Internet? If I give someone a 35% discount, they are going to want "live" feedback in the cart as to what that discount means in dollars.

5. Why is the coupon (and Event) back end showing them so huge and graphical? It would be much easier to manage in a sortable table view. Quick deletes, sort by type, date... See # of uses... In a compresses view.
    \\\ Sean Hoyt \\\
    /// www.affinityseattle.com /// <-yes, you want to check that out.
  • Options
    vegaguyvegaguy Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    I have to say, Coupons are a huge feature that still feels very limiting.

1. Coupons still can't be specific to a product, not even a category such as "only prints" or "only downloads". That would be a useful step. I can see the difficulty tying it to, say, Metal Prints, as you can attach multiple galleries to a coupon that offer differing products. This doesn't mean it's impossible and, really, it's just a series of database queries to find the products that overlap and then allow us to choose from those results.

2. By now I expected coupons to be smart enough to be multiuse but limited to one use per email/address/IP. The info is entered by the customer, it just needs to be connected to the coupon.

3. Admins should be able to spawn a new coupon from a gallery and see what coupons are attached in the Galley Settings.
    (same goes for Events)

4. Users should be able to add the coupon to the cart, not make them wait until the last screen at checkout. Right? Isn't that pretty much SOP for the whole Internet? If I give someone a 35% discount, they are going to want "live" feedback in the cart as to what that discount means in dollars.

5. Why is the coupon (and Event) back end showing them so huge and graphical? It would be much easier to manage in a sortable table view. Quick deletes, sort by type, date... See # of uses... In a compresses view.

Agree agree agree!!! Send this to the "Smug Make It Happen Forum" (or whatever its called. Analytics on coupons would be awesome but my biggest desire would be product specific coupons.
  • Options
    lpphotographylpphotography Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 20, 2011
    OK really need help with this one..

I just created a coupon for a customer and they were so excited they got online and tryed to use it BUT it says its not valid untill the 20/11/2011 ... well im in australia and it is the 20/11/2011 ... what is going on??

EDIT: i got it to work i typed the date 19/11/2011 or sorry usa 11/19/2011 instead of using the calender to select .. it worked but will i always have to do this or am i missing something?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Hi, the coupon times are in California time, so that's why - I'm really sorry we don't have a better way for international coupons right now.
  • Options
    smargitasmargita Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    I need help with setting up a coupon.
    I am taking photos for the local swim team. All photos are for sale on my site to any of the parents.
    I have agreed to allow the organization to be able to use *some* of the photos in their yearbook (their choice).
    So, I am trying to figure out a way to allow the organization to have the ability to download (up to a set number of images of their choice) for free.
    If I give them a print credit, I am charged 15% of the profit. If I let them download at cost, they can download any and all photos.
    How can I setup a method to allow someone to download a set number of images of their choice while not charging me anything.
    I would like to do this without copying/moving images into a whole new set of galleries. I would prefer to use my existing galleries.
    Thanks,
    - Steve

- Steve
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Hi - you've got it pretty straight. A print credit is used by the holder like a gift card. They see and are 'charged' the retail prices and can apply a credit of $X toward that purchase.
    We calculate your profits as though this is a regular sale from your site at retail pricing. Therefore, your profit is equal to (total sale - cost of prints)*85%. In most instances, pros use a print credit to give customers product that has already been paid for, either through a sitting fee, or booking fee, or a presale at an event.

ann

This is the problem I have when using print credit as implemented with Smugmug. I shot a wedding for 750, and issued a 650 print credit based on my retail pricing. I got billed somewhere around $70. If I had played the system, I could have set the gallery prices at default pricing and made more money. The idea of using print credit is to let the photographer show the customer the value of their photography, but the photographer leaves money on the table by doing it this way. The way the print credit is executed, it doesn't "pay" to put a value on the pro's photography. Losing around $50 per wedding can add up quickly over the course of a few weddings or jobs. I think there should be some kind of way of writing code to lower the precent smugmug takes when using a print credit coupon. It will help the customer and the pro.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Another point about the print credit coupon. I have a friend who is looking for a website that will handle his printing needs without him having to fulfill the orders himself. He wants the customer to be able to place the order online and get it printed without him having to take orders himself and then order the prints . He uses print credit as his business model and has some of his weddings are strictly print credit, and they can be above 3K. The way print credit is issued and the big hit on taking 15% of a huge order is a big turn off to using smugmug.
  • Options
    mdruizmdruiz Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    I have set up a Print Credit coupon to a bride that paid me for a certain amount of print, I also put the coupon to be able to cover shipping. The coupon was for $400 but she said, that here order is for $381. And its still asking for Credit Card info. Is this normal?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    mdruiz wrote: »
    I have set up a Print Credit coupon to a bride that paid me for a certain amount of print, I also put the coupon to be able to cover shipping. The coupon was for $400 but she said, that here order is for $381. And its still asking for Credit Card info. Is this normal?
    Yes, we require a valid credit card for any order at this point. You can assure your customer that there's nothing to worry about. Her info is safe with us.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    mdruizmdruiz Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Thank you sir....
  • Options
    akkphotoakkphoto Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    You should allow people to apply coupons to only certain tags/keywords.

For example, I am going into dog show photography but I am also a breeder and exhibitor of Alaskan Klee Kai. I would like to apply discounts to all the photos I take of Alaskan Klee Kai so that my friends who are also Alaskan Klee Kai breeders and exhibitors don't have to pay the full price that I will be charging everyone else. So I would like to discount all photos tagged as "alaskan klee kai".
  • Options
    photosbydrphotosbydr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 25, 2012
    New coupon types wanted
    I'm hoping that you'll implement a number of additional coupon types:

1. Cost + a fixed percentage; so I can mark up all items by the same percentage of cost
    2. Cost + a fixed $ amount; so I can mark up all items by the same fixed amount, like 50 cents or $1
    3. Each of the above, but with mark ups that can be bracketed. For example, all items that cost between 0-$5 are marked up by 10% or 50 cents, while all items that cost $5.01-$10 are marked up by 15% or $1, etc.
    4. It would be nice to have coupons apply to only certain items so that we can run a promotion that only applies to certain items.

I know this isn't the forum for price lists, but I'd like to see price lists be uploadable so I can figure them out in excel and then upload them
  • Options
    DreamshooterDreamshooter Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 26, 2012
    Maximum use grayed out
    I need to set a maximum use per customer on my coupon. But the Maximum use check box is grayed out. Help! It is a print credit coupon. I dont' want her to use it 2 or 3 times!
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    I need to set a maximum use per customer on my coupon. But the Maximum use check box is grayed out. Help! It is a print credit coupon. I dont' want her to use it 2 or 3 times!
    A print credit coupon is intended for one customer only. It works like a gift card and once its amount is used up or it expired, it can't be used anymore. That's why you can't set a maximum use - you do that by setting the amount it's good for.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    visionsontherunvisionsontherun Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2012
    printing coupons
    does anyone know how to actually PRINT a coupon? is it possible?? i can not find anything on the forum about printing. Thanks!

never mind- i just figured it out. in case anyone else needs to know- pull up the coupon and right click! presto!!
  • Options
    JackAZJackAZ Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 27, 2012
    I'm hoping I'm missing something in setting up a coupon so I'll walk you through what I thought/did and see where we end up. What I need to do is deliver digital files to a client at no cost. I know, sounds crazy but many of my clients are charities and I shoot their events and provide digital files at no cost to them. I set up an at-cost coupon under the assumption that there was no base cost for delivery of digital files. What I've discovered is my clients are being charged .49 for each digital file. How do I set up a coupon so they can acquire the necessary digital files at no cost? I don't want to issue a 100% off coupon since I can't prevent someone from using that for prints. All help is greatly appreciated. I've been using multiple solutions and was hoping Smug Mug would solve the problem of having to send them to one site for the digital files and another for prints.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Coupons and Loxley - not calculated correctly
    There's definitely something funny going on with coupons and Loxley prints. At first I thought it was because I was doing an extreme case of offering 95-100% off prints (little giveaway to promote being able to offer prints through the site) but I'm getting problems on lower numbers too.

e.g.

10% coupon, (shipping costs not covered)

Print order of £13.95
    Discount applied is £1.35, not £1.39

it's only pennies, but a 10% discount becomes a 9.7% discount.
    Trying the same with a 50% discount and it applies a 48.3% discount.

It looks like I'm ripping people off and not fully honouring their coupons. I raised a ticket when I had problems with the 100% off coupons and apparently that wass to do with it not being applied to VAT.

The same coupons work correctly when applied to US lab orders, even if they are in UKP. Also £x off works ok, until you get close to around 90% of the value of the order.
  • Options
    JackAZJackAZ Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 5, 2012
    Am I to assume by the lack of response that support for coupon issues is non-existent? I notice lots of replies and help for other topics in the pro support forum but the 'coupon help' thread seems to be collecting cob webs, at least from anyone who can provide answers.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Hi Jack

There are a couple ways to do this, depending on your exact situation.

The print credit coupon is like a gift card. The customer has a total value to spend, and you cover the cost of the product that they buy. You could create a print credit coupon, and only offer the digital products for sale to prevent purchase of prints via that print credit, since coupons cannot be product specific.

The other way to deliver free downloads is via the gallery rather than the cart. So you could leave your image security settings off, and only share the gallery with the client that you want to get free downloads to. They could then use the save button to download the files one by one.

If your intent is to provide a certain client with all of the files in that gallery then the way to do so is to request the gallery back up zip file, and forward that to the client. You can then protect and price the gallery for viewing/purchasing by others.

I hope that helps.

JackAZ wrote: »
    I'm hoping I'm missing something in setting up a coupon so I'll walk you through what I thought/did and see where we end up. What I need to do is deliver digital files to a client at no cost. I know, sounds crazy but many of my clients are charities and I shoot their events and provide digital files at no cost to them. I set up an at-cost coupon under the assumption that there was no base cost for delivery of digital files. What I've discovered is my clients are being charged .49 for each digital file. How do I set up a coupon so they can acquire the necessary digital files at no cost? I don't want to issue a 100% off coupon since I can't prevent someone from using that for prints. All help is greatly appreciated. I've been using multiple solutions and was hoping Smug Mug would solve the problem of having to send them to one site for the digital files and another for prints.
  • Options
    HCSewellHCSewell Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2012
    smargita wrote: »
    I need help with setting up a coupon.
    I am taking photos for the local swim team. All photos are for sale on my site to any of the parents.
    I have agreed to allow the organization to be able to use *some* of the photos in their yearbook (their choice).
    So, I am trying to figure out a way to allow the organization to have the ability to download (up to a set number of images of their choice) for free.
    If I give them a print credit, I am charged 15% of the profit. If I let them download at cost, they can download any and all photos.
    How can I setup a method to allow someone to download a set number of images of their choice while not charging me anything.
    I would like to do this without copying/moving images into a whole new set of galleries. I would prefer to use my existing galleries.
    Thanks,
    - Steve

- Steve

Steve,
    Did you ever get a response to this? I'm trying to do something similar for an end of the year slide show with a baseball team and haven't found a good way to do it......

Thanks,
    Howard
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    Steve and Howard,

This is a way to accomplish what you are looking for. I had to walk some of my customers through the event process. I am not sure why it seemed so confusing to folks.

Create an event and include the galleries in it that you want people to choose from.
    Require people to register under event settings. This way they can pick favorites.
    As folks pick their favorites from the various galleries, a new personal favorites gallery will be created.
    After they have finished their selections, go to the gallery and "download all". You will be sent a link to download a zip file of the images.
    You can send the link to anyone you want.
    The link lasts 2 weeks.
    If the gallery changes (i.e. added or removed images), the link will become invalid.
    So if anyone adds another image to the favorites before downloading the .zip file, the link will be invalid.

I hope this helps.
    Dee
  • Options
    vinceau0vinceau0 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 23, 2012
    Hi,

Is it recent that coupons are no longer stackable (i.e. applying 2 coupons for 1 order)

When I try to apply the second coupon (in this case for free shipping in addition to a print credit coupon) I get:

"A coupon for this pro is already applied. If you wish to use this coupon, you must remove the other coupon first" ...

Thanks,
    -Vincent
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    vinceau0 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it recent that coupons are no longer stackable (i.e. applying 2 coupons for 1 order)
    For most coupon types you can check the "Allow this coupon to cover shipping costs" checkbox and with that allow the coupon to cover shipping. It's been like that ever since we introduced coupons as far as I know - one coupon per Pro can be used on an order.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero