Options

The Coupons Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I would like to be able to provide my clients with gift certificates for specific amounts that can be applied to their orders, rather than a coupon. Any chance of making this possible?

Just use an "amount off" coupon and print up your own gift certificates with the coupon codes. Gave out some of those for christmas a couple years ago. The annoying part is that smugmug doesn't offer a "once per customer" option so you need a unique code for each gift certificate. They also don't offer a way to quickly make multiple similar coupons. Would be nice... hint hint!

Dave
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    colorist48 wrote: »
    I want to sell a first image (any) at cost to Friends and Family. If I use the At Cost coupon, the logic appears to set my At Cost to $0 (free) for Personal and Commerical downloads. I really don't want to give away Commercial licenses for free! How do I fix this part of the Coupon pricing. I cannot set the default pricing for Digital Downloads to non-zero. Thanks.

Hi

When using an at cost coupon, you set your prices to be above cost, which for digital files is $0 (since you, as owner, can always save your own files from your site). So enter the price for downloads that you want your customers to see. If you do not want to sell commercial licensed files, leave those priced at $0.

Then the people with the at cost coupon will be charged your cost, on any items and products offered in that gallery, while your pricing for customers will remain intact.

Does that clear things up for you? You set your pricing as per usual. The holder of the coupon code will be charged your cost for the items they order. If they buy digital files only, they are charged $0.

ann
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    mrfizzed wrote: »
    i appreciate your response....if i give them a code for at cost though wont they then have to "pay" the cost pricing? how can i get them to get them for free?

You want to provide the customer with a print credit. You are correct that the way that the SmugMug 15% is calculated is different with a print credit than with an at cost coupon, but this is the tool to use to keep the customer aware of the value that they ar buying, which I believe is what you want to do.

A print credit works like a gift card, in that the customer has $X to spend, and your retail pricing. The 15% for SmugMug is calculated the same way that it would be on a straight sale for that value: Total (price - print price)*85%= your profit.

ann
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    mr peas wrote: »
    Ok

#1: (To check if my train-of-thought is correct)
    My plan is to charge a certain amount to shoot an event, for example a wedding. I want to charge $XXX.XX amount of dollars for the entire wedding, but to alleviate my time for picking out prints that they wish to print from their wedding package, I'd like to give them a chance to order from my site using my prices (and not at cost from SM). Let's say I want to give them $100.00 in print credits. And my prices for an 8x10, is $10 when SM's cost is $1.99, they order 10 so that's $100.00 total from me, but cost from SM is ~$20. They pay for the shipping (~$5) total is out to $105. From what I read, I will not be charged for the shipping, but I will get charged $15 from the credit + $20 for the prints = $35. Am I calculating this correctly? I'd like to make sure I'm calculating this right before I start handing out credit like candy :)

Hi - you've got it pretty straight. A print credit is used by the holder like a gift card. They see and are 'charged' the retail prices and can apply a credit of $X toward that purchase.
    We calculate your profits as though this is a regular sale from your site at retail pricing. Therefore, your profit is equal to (total sale - cost of prints)*85%. In most instances, pros use a print credit to give customers product that has already been paid for, either through a sitting fee, or booking fee, or a presale at an event.
    #2: (May be a suggestion)
    If instead, I give them an 'at-cost' coupon, and they buy (10) 8x10's @ $1.99 each, that would be ~$20 + $5 shipping = ~$25 for them total, no charge from SM's 15%. My question is, is there a way that I can limit the amount they can spend using this coupon? This would be a great feature if it is not already on there. This way, I can control the amount they spend.

At cost coupons are designed for you to give to family and friends, really. They are going to show your customer your 'cost' for prints, and while most people out there know that they are paying you for more than paper and ink, this isn't the best business method. You can set both an expiration date and a maximum # of uses for these coupons.
    #3: (Same reason as #1, diff coupon)
    This concerns if and when I disperse an 'Amount Off' coupon. Let's say I still want to give a $100 'credit' through one specific wedding gallery, and instead I do this by giving a "$100 Amount Off"-coupon. My prices are the same, $10/8x10 print, they order 10, total is $100. They pay the $5 shipping. $105 total for them. They get $100 off. Do I get charged $20 for the prints sold plus $15 for the 15% SM cut? Is my math correct?

With $ off and % off coupons, you are charged 15% after the coupon is used. You have to be sure that your coupon is not so generous that the customer is not paying the cost of the print - because if they aren't then you will be!

In your example, the customer is not providing any cash of their own, to cover the cost of the prints. You would be charged the cost of the prints.

The SmugMug 15% would only be calculated on the after coupon total, which in this particular case is $0.

#4: (Billing)
    Let's say on #3, they spent $150 in prints instead, then they utilized the $100-Amount-Off coupon. I get charged $22.50 for the 15% SM cut (for the entire order), leaving $50 I made in sales. Let's say within this $50, the cost for prints were just $10 (at-cost), yielding me $40 in profit. So, $40 - $22.50 = $17.50. So, will instance yield me $17.50 in profit and not be charged on my credit-card for the $22.50 from SM's 15% from a $150 order?

The math would be done like this, when a coupon is used:

$150 sale - $100 coupon = $50 - $10 print cost = $40*85%= your profit $34
    #5:
    Can customers use more than one coupon? For example, a $100-Off-Coupon + 10% off coupon. OR.. can they mix a current "pre-made package" + any coupon; for ex, a package they pay for, $65 + a $50 off coupon, so they only pay $15. How much would I be charged for this instance from SM's fees?

There is a limit of 1 coupon per pro order (some orders can come from multiple pros, and in that case the customer can use a coupon from each pro), so the above instance isn't applicable.

I hope that helps,

ann
  • Options
    EphemeralPhotographyEphemeralPhotography Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    We've finally unveiled a fantastic, beautiful coupons feature for our pros. Our help pages are the first line of defense against confusion, so check there for lots of great info.

Got questions or problems that we didn't cover? Post right here in this thread.

I always want to offer people a coupon for free digital downloads. To do this I make an "At Cost" coupon. However, I always worry that if they order downloads AND prints at the same time, the coupon will be applied to the whole order. I would like to see an option to where you can specify exactly what types of items get discounted in a purchase e.g. only downloads, only 4x5's, only downloads AND canvas prints, etc. etc.

Other than that, the coupon function is great. Thanks
  • Options
    TheOnlookerTheOnlooker Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I always want to offer people a coupon for free digital downloads. To do this I make an "At Cost" coupon. However, I always worry that if they order downloads AND prints at the same time, the coupon will be applied to the whole order. I would like to see an option to where you can specify exactly what types of items get discounted in a purchase e.g. only downloads, only 4x5's, only downloads AND canvas prints, etc. etc.

Other than that, the coupon function is great. Thanks

I LOVE IT!

If you don't mind, vote on that here. This will help get a feature request like this added in a future release. I assure you we are listening and try to accommodate as much as possible. :0)

-Kevin Wilson
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    BCinDCBCinDC Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2011
    MAJOR BUG: NO Sales Tax collected for items purchased with Print Credits
    This is a real problem that I suspect many pros are unaware of. Over six months ago, I sent messages to the help team on this, and after a week or two of back and forth received a final response that might surprise many pros who issue print credits: SmugMug does not calculate or collect sales tax on purchases made with Print Credit coupon codes. These codes are repeatedly described as being like "gift cards", however, I know of no retailer that charges sales tax when a gift card is issued...because, it is not a sale! The taxable sale occurs when a gift card, or print credit, is redeemed, IF it is used for taxable items (digital downloads are not taxable in VA, and I assume many other places given that SM asks pros whether to collect sales tax on them).

Because of this, pros either have to:

A) treat the issuance of a print credit as a taxable sale and collect sales tax from the customer when issued (which, again is different than what other merchants do AND which presumes that all of the items actually purchased with the credit will be subject to sales tax), or

B) eat the sales tax themselves when items are purchased.

Also, because no sales tax is collected by SM, the sales reports by SM are wrong, and pros need to go through all their orders to carefully, and time-consumingly, manually calculate sales tax.

This is a real problem that needs to be fixed immediately. Correctly handling sales tax isn't a "feature" to be requested and eventually addressed.

Bob
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Bug?
    I did a brief search for "shipping" but didn't notice anything...

I think I've uncovered a bug? I issued a customer a Print Credit coupon for $10. I checked the checkbox to "Allow this coupon to cover shipping". He tried to use it on an order where the shipping came to $4.95. It applied $4.95 to the shipping, and NONE to the prints. I logged out and was able to recreate the issue.

I thought checking that box would simply extend a print credit to cover shipping charges. For example, if my customer ordered $7 worth of prints and the shipping came to $3, he could apply his $10 print credit and pay nothing out of pocket. As it is, smugmug is asking him to pay $7.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Check on the coupon in question, and see if you have limited that coupon to apply to only certain galleries on your site. If this is the case, and the customer shopped and purchased items from other galleries than what you had listed for the coupon, then the coupon wouldn't have been applied to the print portion of the order. It would have only covered the shipping.
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    nope, the coupon is not limited in any way. only thing is I have since learned he was trying to buy a mousepad. is merchandise not covered by coupons??
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    goofeephotogoofeephoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2011
    coupons
    We've finally unveiled a fantastic, beautiful coupons feature for our pros. Our help pages are the first line of defense against confusion, so check there for lots of great info.

Got questions or problems that we didn't cover? Post right here in this thread.

Is there a way to show the packages and the coupons as the cutomer opens there photo pages? This would be an insentive for them to use them and spend more.
  • Options
    sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    I've noticed that the email notification I get when someone places an order doesn't show that they used a coupon, but it's there in my Control Panel. It used to show the coupon amount in the email...is there a new bug?

*sorry if this has been asked, but there's eleven pages in this thread :)

Sam
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    sellis wrote: »
    I've noticed that the email notification I get when someone places an order doesn't show that they used a coupon, but it's there in my Control Panel. It used to show the coupon amount in the email...is there a new bug?

*sorry if this has been asked, but there's eleven pages in this thread :)

Sam
    This is a known issue and has been reported but it has not been fixed yet. Sorry but I don't have a time frame for this getting fixed but I did bump the bug.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
  • Options
    psycchic1psycchic1 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Coupon feature requests
    These may have been mentioned before in this thread, but I know from working in the software industry myself that each new customer request for the same feature is much like a "vote." I guess I'm voting! :D

1. Printable (and HTML code embeddable) coupons for web viewing or emailing (HTML) with the code embedded. I love the display we see online when creating the code. Let me use that type of display with customers.

2. Item-specific/product-specific codes. I would like to feature a specific product, print, etc. with a discount coupon code or offer as a "free item." I can't do that currently. Gallery specific works for event photographers, but is cumbersome when we just want to feature a type of product (e.g., canvas prints, t-shirt, 8x12, or whatever) as a free or discounted item to customers.

3. One coupon with multiple codes. Rather than duplicating a coupon "x" times, can SmugMug have an auto-generated list of codes for the number of 1x instances (or more) that I want it used?

For example, if I want a 10% off coupon that can be used by 100 of my best customers, but I don't want each of them to get the same code (in the case it gets in the wrong hands and used by hacks who found the code), I have to create a coupon for each of them separately now, with my own defined code, on a one-on-one basis.

As an example, It would be great if SmugMug could let the Pro define the following variables (emboldened):

1. Name of discount: 10% off for my top customers
    2. Discount: 10%
    3. Number of unique codes SmugMug should create for this discount: 50
    4. Expiration: 12/31/2011
    5. Product(s) and/or Item(s) with which this code may be used: (user defines)
    6. Print certificates / embedded HTML for each? yes/no

Once created, it would provide the SmugMugger with 50 unique coupon codes that may be sent, one per customer.

That way, I don't have to create coupons, each separately, to retain security of the coupon code.

Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks for all the things you do for us---I love SmugMug and the new Dr Grin site!
    Lisa Langell
    LangellPhotography.com
    Honorable Mention (2010) National Wildlife Federation
    "Photographing the world isn't simply documenting that you saw it...
    ...it's capturing how you experienced it!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    psycchic1 wrote: »
    These may have been mentioned before in this thread, but I know from working in the software industry myself that each new customer request for the same feature is much like a "vote." I guess I'm voting! :D

Thanks for posting such a great, detailed feature request. If you don't mind, we'd love it if you would put your feature requests here: http://feedback.smugmug.com

Thanks!
  • Options
    E L DavisE L Davis Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2011
    Marketing with Coupons
    I will soon have a month-long exhibition of my work in a local camera store. To drive traffic to my site, and hopefully some sales, I decided to have some business cards printed solely for distribution during the exhibit. The reverse side of the business card was printed as well, with my "$10 off" coupon offer valid through the end of the month following the exhibit. When I hand out the card, I will say "Here's my card" and hand it to them COUPON SIDE UP so it's what they see first. I'll report later, after the exhibit, on how successful this effort has been.
  • Options
    TheOnlookerTheOnlooker Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    E L Davis wrote: »
    I will soon have a month-long exhibition of my work in a local camera store. To drive traffic to my site, and hopefully some sales, I decided to have some business cards printed solely for distribution during the exhibit. The reverse side of the business card was printed as well, with my "$10 off" coupon offer valid through the end of the month following the exhibit. When I hand out the card, I will say "Here's my card" and hand it to them COUPON SIDE UP so it's what they see first. I'll report later, after the exhibit, on how successful this effort has been.

That is such a great idea! Can't wait to hear how it works out for you. :D
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    I created a Family at cost coupon. For digital downloads the cost is free, but the shopping cart still requires a credit card. This would bother me as someone getting a free digital download.
    Is there some way around this?
  • Options
    DVanrompayDVanrompay Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    Coupon Help, Please!
    I have never used the coupon feature and I am a bit confused. I want to have a "Refer a Friend" coupon (15% off or something). If I just keep one active coupon with a "REFER" code or something, what's to keep one customer from using it on their next 10 orders? And if I limit it to one use, is that once per customer? Is the coupon code entered after the customer's puts in their info? Or is it just once, period? And if that's the case, do I need to set a different coupon code for each customer? And what if one customer refers someone, then refers someone a few months later, can I allow them to use the same coupon code?

... Or would it just be easier to set a "Refer a Friend" pricing portfolio and set that to the customer's gallery if I know they have referred someone or have been referred by someone?

I am confused just writing that all! :D Any help would be appreciated!
  • Options
    E L DavisE L Davis Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2011
    DVanrompay wrote: »
    Coupon Help, Please!
    I have never used the coupon feature and I am a bit confused. I want to have a "Refer a Friend" coupon (15% off or something). If I just keep one active coupon with a "REFER" code or something, what's to keep one customer from using it on their next 10 orders? And if I limit it to one use, is that once per customer? Is the coupon code entered after the customer's puts in their info? Or is it just once, period? And if that's the case, do I need to set a different coupon code for each customer? And what if one customer refers someone, then refers someone a few months later, can I allow them to use the same coupon code?

... Or would it just be easier to set a "Refer a Friend" pricing portfolio and set that to the customer's gallery if I know they have referred someone or have been referred by someone?

I am confused just writing that all! :D Any help would be appreciated!

Andy should probably answer your questions. I do not have alot of coupon experience myself, but I can offer the following advice.

Generally, you need to make a specific "single use" coupon each time you wish to reward a customer for a referral. The standard rule you should have is that the customer being referred must place a minimum order (say $25) BEFORE the customer referring him/her gets the reward. You don't want to reward getting a list of 10 names (which could be bogus) when none of those names become actual paying customers. This will prevent any sort of cheating by existing customers just to generate a discount coupon they can use.

Coupon codes should be random and unique so that no customer can "predict" or "guess" a valid coupon code and use it on an order. In other words, DO NOT keep a single active coupon for this purpose as it will lead to abuse, as you have suspected. Create a unique "single use" coupon as necessary. It's more work for you but safer and prevents abuse.
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    So I made my 25% off coupon for an event. Where is it? The specif gallers is:
    http://www.charlesdalyphotography.com/PortCredit/ Saturdayaugust27/PortCreditSaturdayEven
    I sure can't find it?
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    So I made my 25% off coupon for an event. Where is it? The specif gallers is:
    http://www.charlesdalyphotography.com/PortCredit/ Saturdayaugust27/PortCreditSaturdayEven
    I sure can't find it?

Control Panel > Pros tab > Coupons to see your coupons thumb.gif
  • Options
    konajack1konajack1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2011
    Needs
    Maybe you could fix it so we can attache the coupon to e mails sent through the system. You have it now so you can send the "discount code" via e mail.
  • Options
    laurenmaclaurenmac Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2011
    coupons for prints for fund raiser
    I have never used coupons before. I am doing a fundraiser event at which I will be taking some very quick photo shoots for those who donate to the cause. For a $5 donation I want to provide them with a 4x6 print. I am wondering how best to do this using coupons so that they can get the free print and free shipping. Or, I would love to hear if someone else has a better way to go about it. Thanks!
  • Options
    psycchic1psycchic1 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    Thanks for posting such a great, detailed feature request. If you don't mind, we'd love it if you would put your feature requests here: http://feedback.smugmug.com

Thanks!
    Andy, thanks and I apologize for the mis-post! Still learning where everything is supoosed to "go" in DG! :)
    Lisa Langell
    LangellPhotography.com
    Honorable Mention (2010) National Wildlife Federation
    "Photographing the world isn't simply documenting that you saw it...
    ...it's capturing how you experienced it!"
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    laurenmac wrote: »
    I have never used coupons before. I am doing a fundraiser event at which I will be taking some very quick photo shoots for those who donate to the cause. For a $5 donation I want to provide them with a 4x6 print. I am wondering how best to do this using coupons so that they can get the free print and free shipping. Or, I would love to hear if someone else has a better way to go about it. Thanks!
    It depends on how many persons you have and how much concerned you are about a one person trying to use a coupon multiple times.
    If you're concerned about the latter, you would have to create a separate amount off coupon for each person and give each person a separate coupon code for the desired amount. With the coupon set to just one use, you can be sure that they don't place another order with that same coupon.

If you have lots of people and don't mind the occasional person trying to order twice with the same coupon, you could create one amount off coupon for all. Just set the maximum use value to how many uses you wish to allow. After the maximum uses is reached, the coupon expires (even if it's before its expiration date) and no further orders with it could be placed.

Read more on coupons here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93347-managing-coupons

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    discidisci Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 14, 2011
    maximum discount amount
    Sorry for the dumb question, but can I please get a bit more info about the "maximum discount amount"? Does this mean maximum discount for a single transaction / order; or does it mean a total / cumulative discount amount over the entire life of the coupon (or something else??)? Does that question make sense?

Thanks

Regards

Des
  • Options
    PhyxiusPhyxius Registered Users Posts: 1,396 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    disci wrote: »
    Sorry for the dumb question, but can I please get a bit more info about the "maximum discount amount"? Does this mean maximum discount for a single transaction / order; or does it mean a total / cumulative discount amount over the entire life of the coupon (or something else??)? Does that question make sense?

Thanks

Regards

Des

Hi Des,

There's no such thing as a dumb question. :)

The "maximum discount amount" is an option you can set for percent off coupons and it is the total discount your customer can achieve for that single order. So, let's say you offer a 20% off coupon but, you want to set a maximum discount of $100. Your customer will get 20% off of their order up to $100 off. This sets a cap for you. If you didn't have that maximum discount amount and your customer placed an order worth $700 they would get $140 off.

You can set a maximum number of uses as well which will determine how many times a coupon code can be used.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, we are always happy to help.

Best Regards,
    Christina
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
    Christina Dale
    SmugMug Support Specialist - www.help.smugmug.com

http://www.phyxiusphotos.com
    Equine Photography in Maryland - Dressage, Eventing, Hunters, Jumpers
  • Options
    chickc1chickc1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 26, 2011
    Coupons
    I have a question regarding coupons added to a customers order. When I charge a sitting fee, I include (1) 8x10 and (2) 5x7's. If I charge $15 for an 8x10 and $8 for a 5x7, should my coupon be $30 off the total amount? Or should it be handled differently. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks. :D