>> challenge 15 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    It was so difficult making a choice.
    AltPro wrote:
    Ginger...
    I really like the color and movement of these two... the lime-ish green, softened by the movement, against the white... The added texture of the screening in the top one... They remind me of spring. Fun images.
    Really nice. I've enjoyed watching your work.
    ginette
    Oh, gosh, Ginette. I, too, like that screen in the top one. And there is one I love the colors in, as the ball fell, it was just a blur, so it just adds a tint on green on the way down, no ball, just the nice pastel look. I went with the one with three balls, as I thought the movement was more obvious. However, they look a bit less like tennis balls, it was a difficult choice, but it was about movement.

Would you go look at the one I submitted and get back to me, the balls are yellow, we see them as yellow, I have never in my life seen a green tennis ball. Something in their makeup makes them photograph green, it is a pretty green, it was just that in the one shot I could change it to the way it really looks. Yes, I felt it was a very spring like look. I loved the colors. I was the only one there today, it is soooo nice, it really is, better than the photograph even. I will probably keep photographing challenges there, if it is appropriate. It would be very good for lighting.

But would you go see if you think I made a mistake going with the yellow rather than the greenish cast, please. I can change it.

ginger (I didn't know that was your train, I love it. I think Andy should, well, I would hate to be Andy. A lot of very good stuff.)
    Did you notice, I got me a new avatar out of that assignment. Love the avatars.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    I like this one Ginette. It's cool that you were in the middle of craziness and you saw a photo opportunity. That's a sign of a true photographer...always ready...
    Thanks Damon, Thanks Sid...
    I greatly appreciate the comments.
    This one was my favorite, and unless I can get something else today, it will be the "one," but here are the other two I considered of the lot of 8...
    What do y'all think? Did I put up the right one?
    ginette

5535790-L.jpg

5535822-L.jpg

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Hmm, tougher call than I thought it would be, Alty. Each has something going for it. The bottom one shows a gap below the train, which I like because for some reason I get a sense of the wheels. The middle one has the best composition, IMHO. But I think I vote for the top one, because of the contrast between the sharp barrier and the blurred train.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    Tougher by the moment
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Would you go look at the one I submitted and get back to me, the balls are yellow, we see them as yellow, I have never in my life seen a green tennis ball. Something in their makeup makes them photograph green, it is a pretty green, it was just that in the one shot I could change it to the way it really looks. Yes, I felt it was a very spring like look. I loved the colors. I was the only one there today, it is soooo nice, it really is, better than the photograph even. I will probably keep photographing challenges there, if it is appropriate. It would be very good for lighting.

But would you go see if you think I made a mistake going with the yellow rather than the greenish cast, please. I can change it.

ginger

Ginger,
    If you are asking MHO regarding the two photos, I honestly prefer

5525784-M.jpg

over

5528132-M.jpg

I like the "Lime-ish" cast, against the aged white paint and the crevaces in the wood. I would (perhaps)just brighten the first one a tad...

5536637-M.jpg
    When I brightened the first photo a bit, what I noticed is the reflection of the lime-ish color cast on the white paint in the upper right of the photo, which is very realistic. Like holding a buttercup under a childs chin... I sort of like that... But like I say, this is just a thought, a mild opinion at best. I really like the concept and the shot, overall. And now that I see them all, I am even more at odds... The first has a sort of whistful feel... The second and third more tied to reality, if you can see what I am saying... Sorry, if I made it worse? Maybe when they are all posted, in a row...
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hmm, tougher call than I thought it would be, Alty. Each has something going for it. The bottom one shows a gap below the train, which I like because for some reason I get a sense of the wheels. The middle one has the best composition, IMHO. But I think I vote for the top one, because of the contrast between the sharp barrier and the blurred train.
    Sid... It's really tough for me but I still think I may prefer my first one, titled "My Life." But what I like about 2152 is that about mid-frame, far right, you can see the opposite sides "Train Signal" between the cars of the moving train. This would have been my choice, except that in

"My Life"

5526691-M.jpg

there is more clarity-less blur in the crossing gate, which fixes the image more, in my minds eye. I also liked the reflection of the gate lights on the roadway below...
    Decisions, decisions... I am appreciative of all comments...
    If the rain holds off, I may try again today,,, but the weather is not looking good...
    ginette
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    Decision, comments?????
    Called Summertime.

5548779-L.jpg

5556443-L.jpg

5556439-L.jpg

5551316-L.jpg

I went with this one. I combined Ginettes advice with David's. I went with the yellow, for me, I like yellow tennis balls. I was thrown a bit since everyone liked the green cast, so I went with that for awhile. And I figured that there was a point somewhere to that. Everytime I looked at the yellow balls, I would think that the photo didn't seem to have the softness that the other ones did. So, I lightened it a bit, as Ginette had suggested lightening the green a smidgen, so I did that with the yellow. I like it better.

I would like to point out some good things I see in the photo. The rule of thirds with the wall, it goes 2/3 of the way over then does a jig jag. There are three tennis balls. On the far right at the top, triangled over to what looks like it might be plywood, over on the bottow left, and then up to the window sill. So that color is actually in a triangle of three. When I was working on the photo, I noticed that under the window sill there was a bit of yellow, or the butter cupping effect that Ginette talked about.

The picture is very high key, an effect I really like. The balls are blurred, but retain the fact that they are tennis balls by the banding that is seen. There is definite movement, a prime consideration in which of the tennis ball shots I chose.

And,I just want to point out for the reader's info that the photo does not look terribly much in focus anywhere, but when I enlarged it to do a bit of work, I could see the hairs on the tennis ball.

Oh, Those look like good new balls, I could hit those, but being on that porch, I would be more apt to be sitting in a rocking chair with a soft drink in my hand, watching a tennis match on the courts in front of me.

ginger
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

5545396-S.jpg

5528132-S.jpg

I am trying to decide between these two.

I prefer the second for the simple reason that in the first the balls band from yellow to green, and I find the way that looks distracting. If the balls were continuous green, that would be fine, too. I do think they need to be one color or the other, so that the photo as a whole can be appreciated without the distraction of that color banding.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    Three to choose from now, HELP? COMMENTS, more?
    DavidTO wrote:
    I prefer the second for the simple reason that in the first the balls band from yellow to green, and I find the way that looks distracting. If the balls were continuous green, that would be fine, too. I do think they need to be one color or the other, so that the photo as a whole can be appreciated without the distraction of that color banding.
    Thank you, David, I am so confused, just hyper by now. I did post a third one, the thing has hardly been worked at all.

I think everyone has a point. And I would imagine that our benevolent leader is off, and would not say anything about anything. If I were he, I would not even look until time to decide.

But there seem to be differing opinions. I don't know what you mean by banding. I see the white from the blur fading into the green, and with the yellow the same, but substitute the word yellow. Either way.

Everyone??? Maybe I should have a poll, lol

ginger (I guess there is always the tennis girl, but she seems static to me now.)
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thank you, David, I am so confused, just hyper by now. I don't know what you mean by banding. I see the white from the blur fading into the green, and with the yellow the same, but substitute the word yellow. Either way.

Maybe it's a monitor calibration thing, but here's what I'm seeing/talking about:
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Thanks Damon, Thanks Sid...
    I greatly appreciate the comments.
    This one was my favorite, and unless I can get something else today, it will be the "one," but here are the other two I considered of the lot of 8...
    What do y'all think? Did I put up the right one?
    ginette

Yes, in my humble opinion, and it was a difficult decision for a moment, then I knew in my mind. I do not like #2152 at all. I like the wheels on 2155, but it doesn not look like it is converging in the right way with the other thing. They need to look like they would meet somewhere, vanishing point, that is what it is called, and 2155 does not have it, IMO.

So I do think you made the correct decision with My Life, or "your life", smile.

Ginger (AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!)
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    carousal nightmare...
    I finally got a little time off work, and went out shooting for this challenge. I didn't have much time, so I didn't have a chance to visit many locations and try out my ideas. I'm happy with the shots from the carousal, but the people running the ride were not easy to work with. I could only take pictures while on the ride, and I couldn't be on the same side as any children. So there I was...waiting for the rush of kids to settle down before I got on.

I've narrowed my submission down to just a few, and would like a little feedback before entering it in the challenge.

What are your thoughts on these three shots?

5554178-M.jpg

5554686-M.jpg

Thanks!
    Dave
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

What are your thoughts on these three shots?
    Thanks!
    Dave

David, I only see two shots, but I like this one over the other... Something to be said about the conflict that goes on within the mind when thinking of a child's ride, that might look so frightening? (Makes you realize what it is about these things that make some children shreik in fear...)
    I also like the way the focus and depth of field lend to accentuate the movement.
    ginette

5554686-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

David, I only see two shots, but I like this one over the other... Something to be said about the conflict that goes on within the mind when thinking of a child's ride, that might look so frightening? (Makes you realize what it is about these things that make some children shreik in fear...)
    I also like the way the focus and depth of field lend to accentuate the movement.
    ginette

I had started out w/ 3, but after some thought, I had deleted one on my own. I just forgot to change the count in my post.

I agree with your thoughts on the close-up photo. My girlfriend likes the other one better because thats the image that comes to mind when thinking of a carousel. I think of the second. There were two things that scared me growing up, clowns & carousels. I think today was my first willing ride on a carousel in my life.

I think that will be the picture I submit, but its always nice to get others opinions.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Dave
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Today was Atlanta's Gay Pride parade. Seemed like a good opportunity to get people in motion. Great bunch of people, not one objected to having their shot taken, in fact most seemed to enjoy it. Heckuva downpour, dangerous lightning, interrupted it. But not before I got a little motion.

5566772-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    There were a couple of horses in the parade. They moved, too.

5567238-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Today was Atlanta's Gay Pride parade. Seemed like a good opportunity to get people in motion. Great bunch of people, not one objected to having their shot taken, in fact most seemed to enjoy it. Heckuva downpour, dangerous lightning, interrupted it. But not before I got a little motion.

5566772-L.jpg

Thats a great shot. It was the gay pride parade here in San Francisco. I've never been to one before, and it was crazy here today. My GF & I couldn't get close enough to the parade route to get any good pictures.

Dave
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    After the rain, a couple of kids found some fun in the puddles in the park.

5567805-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Thats a great shot. It was the gay pride parade here in San Francisco. I've never been to one before, and it was crazy here today. My GF & I couldn't get close enough to the parade route to get any good pictures.

Dave

Thanks. I got there late, and went to the very end of the parade, at the park. It was pretty easy to get close to folks there.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    After the rain, a couple of kids found some fun in the puddles in the park.

5567805-S.jpg

You just posted my favorite movement shot. Love the feeling and the semse of movement.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    You just posted my favorite movement shot. Love the feeling and the semse of movement.

Thanks David. I'm torn on which shot to submit: the kids, the queen or the fish. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks David. I'm torn on which shot to submit: the kids, the queen or the fish. headscratch.gif

well, that's a no-brainer for me. love the kids
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Sometimes choosing can be so hard!

Here's another colorful character.

5568981-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

I'll put another vote in for the kids, but the queen is a close second.

Dave
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Dave and David, thanks for the suggestions. I had been leaning towards the queen, but there's something about kids that strikes a note with folks. Ah well, I still have a few hours to decide.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Dave and David, thanks for the suggestions. I had been leaning towards the queen, but there's something about kids that strikes a note with folks. Ah well, I still have a few hours to decide.

I can relate. My choice for this project was a photo that appealed to me for a number of reasons. I'm sure it won't be a favorite among the members/voters, but thats not why I take pictures. You have to think about what you like, what you want. It is a contest, but in the end you have to be happy with the decisions. I think this is something that Andy is trying to show with limiting the entry to 1 per person.

Hope this helps.

Dave
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Funny you should say that. Those were pretty much my thoughts: the photo I think is the best, or the photo I think would be most likely to make the cut and get the most votes. Not always the same thing.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Funny you should say that. Those were pretty much my thoughts: the photo I think is the best, or the photo I think would be most likely to make the cut and get the most votes. Not always the same thing.

Exactly. I'm not sure if you've seen my carousel entry yet, but I'm sure it could give some nightmares :)

Dave
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    Ginger I just read this post. Thank you for your comments. It took a few hours, I used the clone stamp to clean up the baseball background. I really get lost in PS and will spend hours. It is a process that I really enjoy and I learn something new from each assignment.

ginger_55 wrote:
    The lady with the flowers, the Degas shot, it is really growing on me.
    I like it a lot by now.

Also, I would love to know how the baseball background and ball were done.
    (was it a whole lot of work?) (I get impatient at a lot of work)

Rutt, I like what you did with the cropping a lot.

(I just have to straighten out the facts on my husband and me re your shot, Rutt. I have to take all the credit there. Immodesty requires me to take all the credit. My husband just thought it needed more space on the right side, so I guess you would have had to throw it out. His comments are always taken by me as a challenge, so I worked on it, knew it would work, even my husband then admitted it did (always happens). I will say your cropping was the best.....I think. I did not think you would want me messing with your photo, so I never told you I had.)

ginger (went to sleep early and couldn't wake up, til now 7 AM EDT USA)
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    Lynnesite, great picture
    5568047-Th.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    I Love my picture
    I woke up this AM, came on the computer, checked on dgrin, The Challenge, and when I came to my picture, I did not have a sinking feeling or anything else. I feel about my picture, like Andy said, I love it, and of course it would be nice if others like it, but that has ceased to be the main point with that picture.
    I feel so good.

Thanks to all who helped me, particularly David and Ginette, who logged on last night giving me valuable suggestions. I am going to use it as my screen saver.
    I don't think I would feel so good about it, if I had not borrowed the suggestions and implemented some of them in my way.

I am so happy. Thanks to all!
    ginger

Oh, I love all the pictures that were on and that had been put on overnight. They are all great. I cannot imagine being in Andy's shoes, or eyes, or computer or whatever. I could not pick finalists without including way more than 5 pictures. We done good! All of us!