Options

>> challenge 15 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    This is my first challenge entry, and although I know the water droplet thing has been done before, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks
    Movement.jpg
    Nice shot. Maybe better in black and white. The color blob at the top is a little distracting. What do you think?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    bham wrote:
    Thanks Wolf and DavidTO. I wasn't sure if it was too much motion.
    I like the third one as well. The motion is just right IMHO. Very cool shot.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Love the subtle silhouette, Thomas. Nice work.
    Thanks Damon.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Ok.. a few more
    5491340-L.jpg
    This is my favorite of yours so far.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    Whirlie #1 is my favorite.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:

I agree
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    Thanks.
    lynnma wrote:
    Thats a lovely shot tml, haunting and beautiful...
    Thanks Lynne. Do you think it qualifies as enough movement for the contest theme? It is my favorite, but not sure about the theme. "Beach Combing" is my other choice. Any advice would be appreciated.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Thanks Lynne. Do you think it qualifies as enough movement for the contest theme? It is my favorite, but not sure about the theme. "Beach Combing" is my other choice. Any advice would be appreciated.

They're both great shots. I think that it the bird qualifies for the theme. To tell the truth, I think that finding ways to imply movement without relying on blur is a good thing, and more difficult. No offense to me or any other photographer that uses blur to imply motion, but anyone can use a slow shutter speed to show movement. It's much harder to use a slow shutter speed and get a good shot, to be sure, but I think the hardest thing of all is to get a good shot implying movement without blur. Movement is very tough, maybe especially for me, since I'm a film editor, and every day I use movement itself to show movement. Movement is one of the most important things I have to pull from in my work. Finding it in still images is a good and expanding challenge for me.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    You're right about the train...
    gubbs wrote:
    your right, there's no blurs but you know the train has just left???
    I just liked the shot and wanted it sharp TBH I didn't think about movement and was lucky to get the train

Yes, I can tell the train has just left. This is one you have to look at for a while. You really don't have to use blur to show motion. It's just the most common way. We don't have to be "common" do we? Anyway, it is a nice shot. The contrast and sharpnes are good. Tough to decide what the judges will think about the motion. This "one shot" thing makes it soooo hard. -- Snappy
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Very cool shot Sid. I like it alot. I would clone out the power lines in the upper right corner, otherwise I like it as it is.

Yikes, I can't see them! Thanks for the suggestion. I think I got them.

5507948-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Yes, I can tell the train has just left. This is one you have to look at for a while. You really don't have to use blur to show motion. It's just the most common way. We don't have to be "common" do we? Anyway, it is a nice shot. The contrast and sharpnes are good. Tough to decide what the judges will think about the motion. This "one shot" thing makes it soooo hard. -- Snappy

Between you and David, I am feeling a bit challenged here. Don't know if I have the time or the talent. Can't think of a good theme right off hand. I keep thinking of the darn hawk, and that wouldn't be bad enough, but there is the glove................. I don't got me one of those. I have been toying with the idea of taking my cat up to the roof and dropping her off, but that might show blur. If I got me an aggressive appearing dog...................... I wonder, I laugh to think that I could make one of my dogs look dangerous, but........ I can't do it until tomorrow, as I don't have my assistant, he is off reading mags at work and stuff, you know real photography. g

(good pictures)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    Which one shall it be........?
    gubbs wrote:
    your right, there's no blurs but you know the train has just left???
    I just liked the shot and wanted it sharp TBH I didn't think about movement and was lucky to get the train

I like the one through the dirty window. I can't figure out what everyone else likes on about three photos here, and I suspect that we don't agree....
    Such is art, smile.

Yes, the beach runner, I would try something.............and cropping would be what I would try.

The last one with the car and whirlie, I think I like the whirlie, but not crazy about any of them.

If I am not crazy about any photos here, please don't take it personally, I am tired of my own photos, don't much like them anymore, and I used to think they were the bomb, or whatever expression is in now.

I keep telling myself to leave it be, we start a new Challenge next week.

ginger
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    Here are two I got last night that I like
    This is the roller coaster at California Adventure.

5508598-M.jpg

and a swing ride

5508599-M.jpg

What do you think?
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    Choices............
    Bryan wrote:

and a swing ride

5508599-M.jpg

What do you think?
    I like the swing ride better, though I would have really, really liked the roller coaster if you could slow it down a bit, so we could ID the roller coaster.
    Any chance you might be going back tonight? I love the picture of the swing ride, but I don't ID that very well, either. I just don't go to fun parks much.
    In order to show motion, I think the subject "moving, or meaning to move, or whatever" I think that subject needs to be able to be identifiable even if blurred, that is my opinion, not the most important one. I love the reflections. I think it would be more difficult to catch this and the swings so that I knew what it was, than it would be with the roller coaster. I would go back, if I could. It is a very good idea, IMO.
    ginger
    ginger
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    Bryan wrote:
    5508599-S.jpg
    What do you think?

I really like this one, and think you might try something different, if you can get back there.

Make your exposure longer, so that the moving parts appear to be solid. I've seen it done, and it looks very cool. (Maybe frame it horizontally, too? ne_nau.gif)

This is the shot I've been aching to take for this challenge, but we don't have a fair or a moving device that I can think of that would work.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    Thanks for your thoughts on the swing, It was tough, I had no tripod, But it was shot at iso 800, could have dropped it back to increase the exposure, but I was afraid of the shakes, I used a rail to help support the camera, but the ferris wheel would vibrate the rail. The joies of the unprepared photog.

Here is a different Roller Coster, Ginger my like the movement capture more on this... But the ride is so busy with all the steel. I still like it. I like the face on the far wall on the middle right, it about sums up the faces on the ride.

5510726-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    Thanks
    tmlphoto wrote:

Thanks for the input, Thomas. I like #1 also, but do you think it's better than car #2? Of course these are nothing compared to all the other great shots here, but I just want to join in. It's fun to think about the challenge as I go about my daily life. I keep forgetting to bring my camera when I go out. This morning there was a roadrunner in the yard! Oh well.
    Snappy
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    I like this one too
    wxwax wrote:
    Yikes, I can't see them! Thanks for the suggestion. I think I got them.

5507948-M.jpg

It looks great now!! The fish demonstrates motion as much as the man walking. The contrast is great too.
    Snappy
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    Gubbs, I like this one too.
    tmlphoto wrote:
    This is my favorite of yours so far.

http://gubbs.smugmug.com/photos/5491340-L.jpg
    I think it's my favorite too.
    Snappy :D
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    I like the swing ride best!
    Bryan wrote:

5508598-M.jpg

and a swing ride

5508599-M.jpg

What do you think?

Yes the swing shows great motion, has terrific color and textures, good night shot, motion in the water too. Good all around. :D
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    In the spirit of it...
    ginger_55 wrote:

I like the one through the dirty window. I can't figure out what everyone else likes on about three photos here, and I suspect that we don't agree....
    Such is art, smile.

Yes, the beach runner, I would try something.............and cropping would be what I would try.

The last one with the car and whirlie, I think I like the whirlie, but not crazy about any of them.

If I am not crazy about any photos here, please don't take it personally, I am tired of my own photos, don't much like them anymore, and I used to think they were the bomb, or whatever expression is in now.

I keep telling myself to leave it be, we start a new Challenge next week.

ginger

Ginger, some days we're excited, and some days we're not. It just shows how hard it is to judge these things. The styles are all so different. I'd say we have to look long and hard at each picture. First does it answer the challenge question? Movement, blurred or not. Then, is it a good photo? Good composition, technique, etc.? "People" shots are great, but a completely different idea from something that shows design or pattern, colors or contrasts. In a way, it's like comparing apples and oranges. We have to take each on it's own merrit, not compared to the others.
    So, I just want to participate. I havn't been out doing active things lately. Not much "movement" in my life. I'm just sticking to my "cardiac walking program". Photography is a great diversion, keeps me from lapsing into depression. I really enjoy looking at all the great contributions here. A great learning experience! If we're not crazy about the pictures we took this week, we can still try to pick the best of the batch and join in for the fun of it. Let's keep enjoying (challenge) photography! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    Just for fun.

5519488-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    keep up the great work! ....
    i'm really enjoying watching everyone helping each other. this is great stuff, we can all learn from this.

so nice to see everyone playing in the same sandbox so nicely mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    So shoot me.... 'nother version. naughty.gif

5522383-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    So shoot me.... 'nother version. naughty.gif

took me a while to see what you did...prefer the original
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Comments, please...

When we were given this assignment, I sort of knew just what I wanted to do... But the boys had to be driven to camp, and we were in someone elses car... Then the cats, and picking the boys up, and ex-son-in-law in the hospital tonight... Finally... on the way back the opportunity arose... I jumped out of my car... ran up, camera in hand and shot off 8 frames until the gate lifted... and the traffic began to move...
    The end product rings closely to:
    "My Life"
    5526691-L.jpg
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Great color.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Tennis Balls on the Window Sill

5525552-M.jpg

5525784-M.jpg

Ginger...
    I really like the color and movement of these two... the lime-ish green, softened by the movement, against the white... The added texture of the screening in the top one... They remind me of spring. Fun images.
    Really nice. I've enjoyed watching your work.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    I like this one Ginette. It's cool that you were in the middle of craziness and you saw a photo opportunity. That's a sign of a true photographer...always ready...
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    Ginger, ypou wouldn't happen to be fond of that picture of the girl playing tennis, would you? rolleyes1.gif I too like the colors of the lime against the white.

Altpro, I like your idea. I saw a postcard last week that made me envious. Same scene, daylight... and a kid sitting on the barrier watching the train go by. Perfect.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    Yes, I made a choice........
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginger, ypou wouldn't happen to be fond of that picture of the girl playing tennis, would you? rolleyes1.gif I too like the colors of the lime against the white.

I love that high key old fashioned wood and tennis ball look, so I went with it.
    I chose the one with three balls, as I thought it showed movement best. One of my favorites, I thought was a shot more for a "light" driven Challenge. I did have a picture of those tennis balls that I had managed to make yellow, and I used that. The darn balls are yellow, and the camera turns them green. They definitely must have a green cast as it is very difficult to get out. But we perceive them as yellow. So I chose that.
    The composition was good, rule of thirds, plus three balls, the white wood, well I loved that, so I went with it. I was there this afternoon taking the pictures. The place was closed up, except that porch, no one else was there. Rocking chairs, and everything, wonderful feeling.......... After tennis, or while there are matches going on it is the place to sit in the shade, rock in the chairs, watch the tennis and talk. They are public courts, but are not free.

I am glad someone else likes that high key look, too. I hope "yellow" tennis balls don't confuse people who have only seen them as our cameras do.
    ginger, smile