Options

>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2004
    She Never Wanted to Come Down
    Ceramic sculpture installed in a willow tree, Nantucket.

5907395-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 7, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Ceramic sculpture installed in a willow tree, Nantucket.

5907395-S.jpg
    I like this one - I think it is a natural for a Gaussian blur overlay - even tho Andy said not PS'ing for this challenge. But all the green leaves seem to do nicely in Gaussian blur and I think the staute could masked out to minimize the blur there.. Just a thought.

And Oh - Jeff H came through for me - arrived today - still trying to figure all the dials and wheels out. lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Todays....new stuff...stopped at the Pacific Design Center

5909967-M.jpg

5909966-M.jpg

5909965-M.jpg

5911151-M.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Re Photoshopping.........
    pathfinder wrote:
    I like this one - I think it is a natural for a Gaussian blur overlay - even tho Andy said not PS'ing for this challenge. But all the green leaves seem to do nicely in Gaussian blur and I think the staute could masked out to minimize the blur there.. Just a thought.

And Oh - Jeff H came through for me - arrived today - still trying to figure all the dials and wheels out. lickout.gif

As I sincerely understand it, Andy did not say no ps for this challenge. He said no ps for the next challenge. Someone correct a bunch of us if we are wrong.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

As I sincerely understand it, Andy did not say no ps for this challenge. He said no ps for the next challenge. Someone correct a bunch of us if we are wrong.

ginger
    I just reviewed Andy's comments at the beginning of the challenge for Quality of Light" and I think you are correct, Ginger, he did not specifically state that the images could not be post-processed in PS. But he did state that all the previous contest rules apply including that they must be fesh or current which is too bad bacause I might have submitted this image from just a few weeks ago - nothing like this around home for me and no sea shore eithersad.gif

5910613-L.jpg

I guess I'll have to get up tomorrow and go out and see what I can find....

• Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    WoW!!!!!!
    rutt wrote:
    It's dawn, but yes, I'd like something besides just another sunset/sunrise shot. In addition to cell phones, we have nothing but sunsets and sunrises here on Nantucket. I shot this a few days ago:

5893120-L.jpg

I've shot a lot of dawn and dusk pictures, many times as fodder for a panorama obsession which seems to have subsided. Take a look, if you like.

So, I'm still hoping to for a different kind of shot, so I can feel I've risesn to this challenge instead of reaching into my old bag of tricks (though LAB curves and the golden mean thing are a relatively new tricks.)
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    Moss on the Live Oak Tree
    5910916-L.jpg

by ginger
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    John.... John..... Am I seeing dust motes on the sensor of your new beast from Canon? Please tell me it isn't so......

• Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    Moss anytime is my one of my favorite things
    These were around dinner time, and it was still very hot outside walking.
    This tree is right down the road from me, it is the landmark by which we know it is time to turn into our little area.

5910866-M.jpg

5910871-M.jpg

5910867-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 8, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I just reviewed Andy's comments at the beginning of the challenge for Quality of Light" and I think you are correct, Ginger, he did not specifically state that the images could not be post-processed in PS. But he did state that all the previous contest rules apply including that they must be fesh or current which is too bad bacause I might have submitted this image from just a few weeks ago - nothing like this around home for me and no sea shore eithersad.gif

I guess I'll have to get up tomorrow and go out and see what I can find....
    I just love the canyon shots...

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I just love the canyon shots...

Ian
    lickout.gif

• Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    rutt wrote:

This one is beautiful and more than just another boring sunset or sky shot. The foreground gives it scale and makes the thunderhead really immense. I love the sun on the top of the cloud and the contract to the darkness on the ground and bottom of the cloud.
    Thanks Rutt. I am very impressed with your entry. The glassiness of the water is awesome. Someday when I get a "real" camera not just a $250.00 one, I hope to do as well as the rest of you. These contests and critiques are invaluable in allowing me to see what others see. As my skills and eye for appreciation grow, I will be better suited to comment and offer opinions. Rgds:D
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I agree..where's Gubbs? And what did you do to him? :D
    wave.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Thanks Rutt. I am very impressed with your entry.
    Which entry? I've posted a lot of them, even a lot with glassy water. I haven't actually entered anything yet. Still enjoying (challenge) photography.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    re cheap digitals. I am going to send you a photo
    spockling wrote:
    Thanks Rutt. I am very impressed with your entry. The glassiness of the water is awesome. Someday when I get a "real" camera not just a $250.00 one, I hope to do as well as the rest of you. These contests and critiques are invaluable in allowing me to see what others see. As my skills and eye for appreciation grow, I will be better suited to comment and offer opinions. Rgds:D

I only got my Rebel in Feb. I have used a Canon Elph for years. Mostly photos of grandchildren, not exciting. But "good" pictures.

I have alwasy said, am I old enough to preach?, anyway, it is true, IMO, that a photographer can take a good photo with whatever he is handed, camera/and/or lens.

In fact, If I had another storm, etc., I would buy a disposable at Wal-Mart. I have never used one, but my theory would be that if I got grain I would take that, if my photos were soft, I would try to figure out why and take photos where it didn't matter, or in such a way.

My Canon Elph, my first one, was a 100, the next was an S230, not a lot of pixels, I loved it.

So, Spockling, hehehe............you could give us the second best picture yet.
    But don't beat that horse, you hear. (I will give you a 10.00 if you do)

ginger

3326605-S.jpg

That is my brother on an infrequent trip to Charlotte NC last fall, dinner time.

When I picked up my new puppy, last fall, I had a Canon Elph S230. I handed it to my daughter. She has a good eye and is swift, though she did not own, or use a digital.

Now there has been nothing done to these photos, the things that we do now. Levels, layers, curves, LAB? hehe (no one does that). This is a photo taken by an amateur with 3.2 megapixels (I still have it, so I just looked).
    I think it is good here, but a little cropping, some things here and there. Now I have been looking for this kind of light.............. I don't have it, camera or not. g

5506491-S.jpg

At that time, I was putting the smaller sized pictures on smugmug so as not to have the longer upload time. I still had a dial up and really had no reason to go larger. g
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Anyway, did you, who used to live here, did you go to Bert's Bar on the Island, it is still there.

ginger
    Ginger, wave.gif

I just PM'd you so we don't bore folks with SC talk on this thread. :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Sorry Rutt!11doh.gif , got you and Brian mixed up. Bad me!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

I only got my Rebel in Feb. I have used a Canon Elph for years. Mostly photos of grandchildren, not exciting. But "good" pictures.

I have alwasy said, am I old enough to preach?, anyway, it is true, IMO, that a photographer can take a good photo with whatever he is handed, camera/and/or lens.

In fact, If I had another storm, etc., I would buy a disposable at Wal-Mart. I have never used one, but my theory would be that if I got grain I would take that, if my photos were soft, I would try to figure out why and take photos where it didn't matter, or in such a way.

My Canon Elph, my first one, was a 100, the next was an S230, not a lot of pixels, I loved it.

So, Spockling, hehehe............you could give us the second best picture yet.
    But don't beat that horse, you hear. (I will give you a 10.00 if you do)

ginger

That is my brother on an infrequent trip to Charlotte NC last fall, dinner time.

When I picked up my new puppy, last fall, I had a Canon Elph S230. I handed it to my daughter. She has a good eye and is swift, though she did not own, or use a digital.

Now there has been nothing done to these photos, the things that we do now. Levels, layers, curves, LAB? hehe (no one does that). This is a photo taken by an amateur with 3.2 megapixels (I still have it, so I just looked).
    I think it is good here, but a little cropping, some things here and there. Now I have been looking for this kind of light.............. I don't have it, camera or not. g

At that time, I was putting the smaller sized pictures on smugmug so as not to have the longer upload time. I still had a dial up and really had no reason to go larger. g
    Ginger, I have taken some "good" pictures with my A75, but I am realizing the limitations that I ahve to deal with in regards to having to "get in close" to get the picture as I don't have the telephoto capabilities nor the higher MP to fully "appreciate" landscape shots. For me this is a learning experience and I am glad to be using this size camera to start with so I can learn the basics of composition etc...before spending the big bucks on a DSLR. "Just don't my wife that anyway"rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    LAB curves and the Turner sky.
    I couldn't stand it anymore and I posted a tutorial about LAB curves based on this image here.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Another very long exposure...
    RuTT...I really like your three latest challenge images... The two sunrise shots taken from the rooftop, and the beautiful sunset on the water, all the yellows and oranges.

Ginger, you have really done a lot of beautiful work for this challenge.. I am really impressed with what you are doing, really like the harbour shots.

Lynn... Your window is beautiful, but still, for me at least, it is your sink shot. I am not sure i can really lay a finger on the reason, other than to say I am drawn to it somehow. Perhaps because I long for that sort of peace and serenity in my kitchen.

Yesterday the boys turned twelve. A birthday meant another trip into Busch Gardens... OF course, just as we arrived the heavens set forth and the rain that fell was acompanied by 80+ mile an hour winds back home in Zuni. Still, we opted to sit it out at the park, and wait until it blew over, which it did after about an hour and a half, although the day remained gloomy and damp... No photo at the park... We left the park shortly after 11:00pm and headed home. It didn't take long for the boys to fall asleep in the backseat, and about 30 minutes into the drive I noticed the stars were out, and yet in the distance there was a huge thunderhead, raging with color from the electrical activity within it, and surrounded by all the stars. As we pulled onto one of the quiet roads along the farm land at the end of the drive, I decided to pull over and give it a shot, (pardon the pun...). I clipped off 10 in about 10 minutes, and found two of them of interest... They were long expsoures, 22 seconds for this one... therefore grainy in appearance...
    I just adjusted levels, brightness & contrast.
    What do you think?
    5919194-L.jpg

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    RuTT...I really like your three latest challenge images... The two sunrise shots taken from the rooftop, and the beautiful sunset on the water, all the yellows and oranges.

Ginger, you have really done a lot of beautiful work for this challenge.. I am really impressed with what you are doing, really like the harbour shots.

Lynn... Your window is beautiful, but still, for me at least, it is your sink shot. I am not sure i can really lay a finger on the reason, other than to say I am drawn to it somehow. Perhaps because I long for that sort of peace and serenity in my kitchen.

Yesterday the boys turned twelve. A birthday meant another trip into Busch Gardens... OF course, just as we arrived the heavens set forth and the rain that fell was acompanied by 80+ mile an hour winds back home in Zuni. Still, we opted to sit it out at the park, and wait until it blew over, which it did after about an hour and a half, although the day remained gloomy and damp... No photo at the park... We left the park shortly after 11:00pm and headed home. It didn't take long for the boys to fall asleep in the backseat, and about 30 minutes into the drive I noticed the stars were out, and yet in the distance there was a huge thunderhead, raging with color from the electrical activity within it, and surrounded by all the stars. As we pulled onto one of the quiet roads along the farm land at the end of the drive, I decided to pull over and give it a shot, (pardon the pun...). I clipped off 10 in about 10 minutes, and found two of them of interest... They were long expsoures, 22 seconds for this one... therefore grainy in appearance...
    I just adjusted levels, brightness & contrast.
    What do you think?

ginette
    Hi Ginette,
    thanks for your comments on my shots.. I guess my kitchen is pretty serene, my little garden courtyard too. I've rushed and run about all my life and decided to stop.. so we did.
    I like your shot. I think I would have cropped out the bottom more to focus more on the sky.. it's quite dramatic is'nt it. Unusual, a thunderhead with stars!
    :D
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Bryan wrote:
    5791838-M.jpg

Any good?
    Very nice. Excellent light and the quality of the water/ reflection is really cool. Good composition also. Definitely a keeper. I wouldn't change anything.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    5789804-M.jpg

Thoughts?
    Great shot, possibly a winner!! What do you thing about straightening out the horizon? Otherwise, looks great.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    My first comments - better late than never
    To Steve:

5754663-S.jpg

This is my favorite. I think it is a perfect example of the challenge topic. I would buy it. I would hang it on my wall.

I went back to work this week. Good to start on a short week. I've been too busy to do much photography, but spent a little time looking at what you all have been doing.
    Great stuff - I can't compete with that. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Glad you got out, Lynn
    lynnma wrote:
    I GOT LET OUT.. took a couple from the car and one from the ole' chair...

I like the light in the woods a lot. But, the stairs is more the contest type of feeling.
    Actually, the light in the sink shot is quite nice too. Like I said, you've all been doing great stuff this week. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    To Steve:

This is my favorite. I think it is a perfect example of the challenge topic. I would buy it. I would hang it on my wall.

I went back to work this week. Good to start on a short week. I've been too busy to do much photography, but spent a little time looking at what you all have been doing.
    Great stuff - I can't compete with that. thumb.gif
    How are you feeling snap? are you still getting tired? I expect it's nice to get back to somewhat normal. Hope you are feeling good.
    clap.gif lynn
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    The light was a bust
    Mary Elizabeth Spencer

5926638-L.jpg

by ginger using LAB
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    5926638-S.jpg

Oh, good God in heaven, I've created a monster! Ginger, I like this as much as the PP image. Well maybe not quite as much. But it is really arresting. Composition perfect. Subject interesting. Lighting very interesting and very much a part of the image. Did you remember to try USM on the L channel only after your LAB curve correction? There is more Durer than Turner in this image, so you should if you didn't. Looks pretty sharp, so I guessing you did.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I think I am getting punchy.......................
    Ginger, let's do everyone a favor and take the discussion of processing this image with LAB curves to the thread I started here. I'd like to contiue with it, as I think it really isn't dead yet, but I think it's probably overwhelming people who just want to post and see some fresh images. What I want to say is really going to bore people who aren't into it.

Lynn (or some other moderator), assuming it's OK with Ginger, please move this message to this thread. Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Here's a shot I took today in rubbish light. It was slinging it down with rain, the sky was ash grey and there was nothing to enhance the pic at all... surely that is a quality of light rolleyes1.gif