Options

>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks. I think I'll have a hard choice to make come Sunday night/Monday morning. I've liked quite a few of the things I've shot. I liked all the shots I posted in "Nothing But Fog". I also liked:

But right now, I'm think about this one:

5955706-S.jpg
    Rutt, John, all of you, and the bitch (dog), your thought processes are right on here. IMO. I also saw your "discussions" re this photo, interesting. Even with having gone behind the scenes myself, I like it. It is a photographer's photo, IMO. Some of the others were, uh, interesting, and did show place, others were beautiful, could go on a post card, more commercial. This is one for photographers, and I would be proud that you can do that and go with it.

Good, morning everyone,
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks Simone, here's a bw, what do you think?
    5969933-S.jpg

I like it a lot! But more important; what do you think? :D
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    re the buildings and getting it out of post
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think something intermediate in the color/tone of 2 and 3. I prefer 2, but maybe it is just a little too cool and needs just a touch of wamth, but 3 is too warm to my eye. I dolike the Gaussian blur effect. Nice QOL too!!

I will go along with the majority opinion on choosing........... but I am going to find Andy's thread on "getting the most out post".

Nice shot now. Beautiful shot. And I thought the last challenge would be a nightmare for the judges. Laughing.gif

ginger
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks Simone, here's a bw, what do you think?
    5969933-S.jpg

I'm sorry Gubbs, i was a bit in a hurry, but that wasn't much of a comment eh? So; I thought the color didn't add much to the picture..the only color really visible is that from the trees. Now in B&W it's more timeless or something, it adds to the atmosphere. I very much like the composition; the line from right-down to the man further up into the picture; nice! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    re Gubb's blk and white shot
    I like it, too.

ginger
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 10, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Poppies
    5862867-S.jpg

And another one of the Poppies:

5904588-S.jpg

I'd appreciate comments even though they are not as fantastic as what I see here. I'll try to go for a drive and come up with more later, but so far this is all I have. Boring I suppose.
    :snore
    I would like to see the original image of these - On my screen they are both oversaturated to the point that the colors are blown out and yet I like the composition quite a bit, but I think the tonality needs softer touch for the floral image. More a delicate pastel perhaps, than the heavy oversharpened images I see here.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 10, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I've surprised myself with this one. Thanks to Andy for pushing the night shooting idea and thanks to Pathfinder for some good suggestons.

5955706-S.jpg
    Rutt, I enjoyed our discussion and am pleased that you found some of my suggestions helpful. I think this is a great picture. I do prefer the cooler tonality of the light. Kind of a colored Henri - Cartier Bresson type of image, non?lickout.gif

I am struck by the fact that with the challenge being "Quality of Light" almost all of the submissions have been outdoors and natural light, not studio or artificial light shots. (I consider your image an outdoor shot, the tungsten lighting notwithstanding).

It would seem to me that Quality of Light would be ideal for studio work where you have complete control of the light, but that has not been the case for submissions to date. With that in mind, I want to submit these images of a statue for your opinion and suggestions - good or bad. Do you prefer the first or the second and do you have any other suggestions for improvement or should I just deep six the project?

5936897-L.jpg

5939533-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    It would seem to me that Quality of Light would be ideal for studio work where you have complete control of the light, but that has not been the case for submissions to date. With that in mind, I want to submit these images of a statue for your opinion and suggestions - good or bad. Do you prefer the first or the second and do you have any other suggestions for improvement or should I just deep six the project?

5936897-S.jpg

5939533-S.jpg
    It's a good idea. The object is interesting and contrast is interesting. I'm not sure what it's saying. That's the problem of taking pictures of artwork, like mine of the sculpture in the tree. What are we adding? What if you had some smoke or dust to make the light more visible? Or use colored lights and a colored image? They are a little like something from a museum show catalog the way it is.

I like the second image better and I like both better than the trees. The composition of the second image is very nice.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Rutt, I enjoyed our discussion and am pleased that you found some of my suggestions helpful. I think this is a great picture. I do prefer the cooler tonality of the light. Kind of a colored Henri - Cartier Bresson type of image, non?lickout.gif
    Well that's about the best compliment I could get. Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    re statues and lighing indoor
    I like the second image best. I also would prefer the composition of the first picture with the lighting on the second picture. I just have a thing about balance and sometimes I like to see the legs..........I am sure there are exceptions, but that was my thought here.

Uh, I would mess around with the lighting a bit more, too.

ginger
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    I have two more photos for critique, comments / suggestions please.

5889665-M.jpg

5976827-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    5889665-S.jpg

Nice composition. How did you get this shot. Looks like it was taken from a helicopter. Did you sharpen it? Looks like a tad too much in the highlights, maybe try a higher threshold? But the effect is striking, maybe it's fine the way it is.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    Rutt it was shot from the pier into the water where there were surfers. I use a 3100 P & S and many of the shots were too blue so I toned it down a bit. I think it was because I forgot to change the light setting on the camera's manual mode. This is more true to the color of the ocean. Is this better?

5978616-M.jpg
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Rutt it was shot from the pier into the water where there were surfers. I use a 3100 P & S and many of the shots were too blue so I toned it down a bit. I think it was because I forgot to change the light setting on the camera's manual mode. This is more true to the color of the ocean. Is this better?

I like the first "bluer" version best
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    5968171-S.jpg

That is lovely gubbs. I love the foreground, the shadows lines and curves.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:

I like the first "bluer" version best
    Me, too. I think the sharpening I was talking about is in-camera sharpening on your P&S. If there is a way to turn that down or off, you should consider it. You'll do a better job yourself later when you post process.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    Pathfinder - The COLOR for me!
    I am so grateful for your response, Snappy - I was beginning to think that maybe my image was not worthy around all the sturm und drang we have been viewing on this thread.Laughing.gif This is just a simple little repetition theme with garden chairs that caught my eye as I was wandering around on another cloudy grey day.

I was aware of all the defects in the chairs and considered cloning them out, but that would be a long involved process and that is the way they truly look - they ARE old and beat up - maybe they would be better if they were in B&W???? or cleaned up color? You pick for me please....

5965111-S.jpg

or cleaner color?

5965112-S.jpg[/QUOTE]

Happy to offer my opinion, such as it is. I prefer the color. It grabs my attention more than the B&W.
    May I ask a favor? Would you comment on my revised images posted in a thread called "people in our neighborhood" in the "People and Pets" section. I want to order prints for the girls at the nail shop, I think. But, which are the best? I do think they are improved now. Thanks, Snappy
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    Gubbs, Nice, Nice, Nice...
    gubbs wrote:
    Still trying Lynn, up with the sparrows this morning...

5968171-S.jpg

Oh, this is beautiful! It made me sigh out loud. And, right on for the challenge.
    Snappy
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    Yes, I agree.....
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks. I think I'll have a hard choice to make come Sunday night/Monday morning. I've liked quite a few of the things I've shot. I liked all the shots I posted in "Nothing But Fog". I also liked:

But right now, I'm think about this one:

5955706-S.jpg

I like this one the best. It pulls me in. Makes me think. Mmm hmm, I really like it. Like the way you edited it too. It's great to see the process.
    Snappy
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Judging by the lack of response to meh Camel, I'll give it a go with another little animal friend. :D This is my freshest material, and there isn't much of it. Such a pain to go through the 35mm process to get my submissions on the web. Cross your fingers for a good deal on an f828 for me!

Or how about these little guys??

birdiessizedUSM.jpg
    Its one busy backround headscratch.gif

QOL Critique??

Did I miss a previous shot? What was it? Of these two, I prefer the birds. Yes, It is kind of busy. Maybe you could try a little Photoshop on it. Soften the background maybe - sharpen the birds? I like the light. Love the bright colors.
    S.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am struck by the fact that with the challenge being "Quality of Light" almost all of the submissions have been outdoors and natural light, not studio or artificial light shots. (I consider your image an outdoor shot, the tungsten lighting notwithstanding).

5936897-S.jpg

5939533-S.jpg
    Pathfinder, thanks for the comments on the poppies. I'm going to find the original for you.
    I like the second shot of the statue. It's a representation of a family and I think the second shot brings out all three people. I like the crop that puts the focus on the faces.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I like it a lot! But more important; what do you think? :D

I like it as well in B&W. Nice composition. How did you convert? Lately, I have been using the channel mixer method with good results. I have also used Andy's selective color method to add some punch to the blacks. Great shot!
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    Glad to have you back, Andy...
    andy wrote:
    everybody okay? any probs?

here's where i was

Hope you had fun in SF. I love that town. I go back and forth from San Diego to San Francisco frequently. My husband does a lot of work in SF and I tag along sometimes. You got some great pics. I envy your ability in IR and night shots.
    I'll put this note here because you'll be most likely to see it. Would you take a look at my revisions on the manicure pictures? They're in a thread called "People in our Neighborhood" in the People and Pets section. I tried to learn from your comments on my challenge entry. Comments please? Thanks.
    S.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    I toned the sharpness down with a slight gausian Blur. The Nikon 3100 has another annoying problem, that is when you take the camera out of the case the mode dial has shifted and I find myself taking videos instead of photos.

rutt wrote:
    Me, too. I think the sharpening I was talking about is in-camera sharpening on your P&S. If there is a way to turn that down or off, you should consider it. You'll do a better job yourself later when you post process.
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    The previous one Snappy -

Boy was he the model. He had me laughing hysterically by the end of it. His movement and the way he carried himself was very cool. Once I broke out the camera, he turned on the charm full blast. it was a great session. :D

giraffewide.jpg
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    The original...
    pathfinder wrote:
    I would like to see the original image of these - On my screen they are both oversaturated to the point that the colors are blown out and yet I like the composition quite a bit, but I think the tonality needs softer touch for the floral image. More a delicate pastel perhaps, than the heavy oversharpened images I see here.

Pathfinder, I took a lot of shots of these flowers. I believe this is the original. To what you see here: I rotated it a bit to level the horizon line and cropped. I adjusted the hue to more red. Then I hit unsharp mask. I may have cloned out the house on the upper right or lost it in the crop. I think that's about it. The flowers were backlit, so they had that glowing effect from the start. They are orange, not pastel, so I don't think I can get a pastel effect. It was late afternoon getting near sunset. I sort of expected a blown out, backlit effect. On the second one, I darkened it to get more of a silouette effect.

5984310-L.jpg

Oh well, if this doesn't work, I'll go with the bench. I actually didn't do anything to that except hit the auto contrast. I didn't change the color at all. I liked the warm light as it came off the memory card. Oh yeah, I had to clone out a piece of drip tubing that was under the bench. I actually liked the bench picture a lot.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    re indoor lighting shot
    5936897-S.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I like this one best now. Did you change the lighting, or did you just put a white line around it?

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    Sorry when I get the The Challenge mixed up with this list.
    I am sorry that I messed up again and posted a comment on the official site for
    The Challenge. I was looking through there, saw that bench, in all its beauty, and I thought, OH NO, tell me I didn't. I know I did, and I thank whoever took it off. I do love that picture.

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    The Challenge. I was looking through there, saw that bench, in all its beauty, and I thought, OH NO, tell me I didn't. I know I did, and I thank whoever took it off. I do love that picture.

ginger
    No problem Ginge.. and I've nearly done the same many times and yes I love that picture too.
    Lynn
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    30 lashes with a wet noodle
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger

no prob ginger i'll fix it. :whip