edited July 9, 2004
    5952332-S.jpg

Just right, IMHO.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Went verticle. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I agree with Rutt tml, nice shot, pretty spider just don't let it come out here..yelrotflmao.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    Spider phobia, here
    lynnma wrote:
    I agree with Rutt tml, nice shot, pretty spider just don't let it come out here..yelrotflmao.gif

I was thinking something along those lines, too. In fact the large photo almost had me jumping from here.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

I was thinking something along those lines, too. In fact the large photo almost had me jumping from here.

g
    But Thomas don't listen to Ginger on this. When and if you do submit it, make it LARGE as possible (smugmug L or 800 pixels on the long side.) Monsters should be BIG.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    Monsters all around us..........
    rutt wrote:
    But Thomas don't listen to Ginger on this. When and if you do submit it, make it LARGE as possible (smugmug L or 800 pixels on the long side.) Monsters should be BIG.

I can get cockroaches here, I am sure I could have a big one photographed and worked up in LAB by Monday.

Good spider, I did do a little fear take, must mean the thing is good.

g
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    hihi folks
    Well its just been ages since I've posted. I've been sitting on the side, reading every post for the past 4-or-so months. Lost my digital so I've been shooting 35 for a while now. I'm trying to buy an f828 off ebay and would love for you guys to tell me how legit you think it is. Grey market eh?? Theres also a little backround on me included (very little). So of you guys who want to hear why I've been sitting back and watching for so long, or to help me out with a new cam purchase, then go there: rolleyes1.gifhttp://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=18854#post18854

giraffewide.jpg

Anyway, not sure how much QOL I'm really getting here, I guess what does it for me is that big black eye against his soft fur. I've popped in pretty late, but I'll do what i can to participate. Its just such a hassle - shoot, develope, scan, upload, post, and on top of that, I'm hosting through a site that really limits my uploading. Too much right now with the current schedule. So, that is why I'm trying to score this f828 (finally got the $$$!!!). There is only 8 and a half hours left, so anyone whos got their online-camera-purchasing down, give it a peek and let me know what ya think. Try to get more going for QOL once I'm in the mood for some more scanning. Thanks folks!

I also want to add how much progression I've seen in you guys the past few months. Lynn, Ginger, stunning shots, great to see how much youve progressed lately (that goes for everyone too.) Great little community and I cant wait to visit and actually leave some input of my own, just gotta get this camera first!
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    And one more
    The original product was simply horrible! Thanks to Andys 'getting the most our of post' photography thread, I was motivated to work on some pictures that were feeling pretty lonely. Heres one of em (three versions of it) Which do ya preffer?

East 41st St. Around the United Nations area.

Sunrise.jpg
    Not so sure about this one [above]. The black covering the right building has gotta go.

sunrise2.jpg

sunrise3.jpg

1, 2 ,or 3, QOL??
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    10:30 PM, Commercial Warf
    I've surprised myself with this one. Thanks to Andy for pushing the night shooting idea and thanks to Pathfinder for some good suggestons.

5955706-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    Nicccce
    Rutt I like it alot. Although my personal favorite from this expedition would defintaely have to be-
    5950306-S.jpg
    Any Post-processing time put into this one so far?
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    Damon - You are welcome to disagee anytime...
    damonff wrote:
    Oh, I disagree Snappy. I think the blown out exposure creates a better expression. A properly exposed photo wouldn't show the wonder of the child's face. But then, I tend to like over-exposed photos. I also think the black line in the background adds a lot to the framing.

Anyone is welcome to disagree with me anytime. In fact, I encourage you to do so if you so disire. Seriously, that's why we're here. Just remember to disagree "constructively" (smile). I love your ideas. I see your point of view. I may still stick to my opinion. Or not. :) I'm not a professional photographer, so my opinion may not be worth much. But, I know what I like and I can critique a photo from a viewers point of view at the very least. Take my opinions with a grain of salt if you like. :)

As a matter of fact, I would appreciate some critique (especially since Andy's not available) on my "People in our Neighborhood" shots in the "People and Pets" section. I promised those manicurists I'd bring in prints. Go ahead, be brutal. deal.gif
    Snappy
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    Thanks Damon...
    damonff wrote:
    Snappy, I like the second poppy picture - I think it's really good.

Now I have a delema. The poppies or the bench. Which has a better chance for the challenge?
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    There's garden furniture and then there's garden furniture
    Since we are posting garden furniture, here is an offering of mine - Everyone PLEASE feel free to offer constructive criticism re this shot which is not as nicely lighted as Snappy's but I kind of like the repetition

5936896-S.jpg[/QUOTE]

rolleyes1.gif (Laughing at myself) I don't know what I expected when I read your comment, but when I scrolled down to the shot I was surprised. It is soooo different from my shot. It's a different mood. But, a great picture! The light is great. The repitition is great. It's cool.
    I like it. mwink.gif

A thought: What if you blacked out all the speckles in background and cleaned up all the spots and cracks on the chairs and made it real sharp? It might give it a more "modern art" look. Just a thought. Take it with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    I'M BAAAACK and so is The Storm
    Very good, Rutt, I like it! Yours I mean, this is going to be tough! g

I was checking this out, just like it is I LIKE it! I don't think it pops, I think it is just beautiful. And it definitely has the qualities, again, that were found in paintings of my grandmother's generation. I opted, so far, for this frame. It is simple, but I think it brings the picture, that is how I think of it in this state, a picture, and I think the frame brings it together and sets it off as an entity in itself. I went back to my Elements and put a drop shadown on a very small white "frame". I just love it. Thanks Rutt. ginger

5957617-L.jpg
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    The bench photo is nice but I think the second poppy picture is just gorgeous.
    snapapple wrote:
    Now I have a delema. The poppies or the bench. Which has a better chance for the challenge?
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    Arachnophobia!
    ginger_55 wrote:

I can get cockroaches here, I am sure I could have a big one photographed and worked up in LAB by Monday.

Good spider, I did do a little fear take, must mean the thing is good.

g
    I'm glad one of my photographs evoked some kind of emotional response. Maybe I'll change the name to "Arachnophobia".
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I've surprised myself with this one. Thanks to Andy for pushing the night shooting idea and thanks to Pathfinder for some good suggestons.

5955706-S.jpg

I read the other thread of this picture, this crop and tone, changes the feeling of the shot completly. The cold tungsten colour has made the picture less friendly and the tighter crop with less information, makes the viewer ask questions about what the figure is doing. An excellent sinister shot clap.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 10, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    The original product was simply horrible! Thanks to Andys 'getting the most our of post' photography thread, I was motivated to work on some pictures that were feeling pretty lonely. Heres one of em (three versions of it) Which do ya preffer?

East 41st St. Around the United Nations area.

Sunrise.jpg
    Not so sure about this one [above]. The black covering the right building has gotta go.

sunrise2.jpg

sunrise3.jpg

1, 2 ,or 3, QOL??

I think something intermediate in the color/tone of 2 and 3. I prefer 2, but maybe it is just a little too cool and needs just a touch of wamth, but 3 is too warm to my eye. I dolike the Gaussian blur effect. Nice QOL too!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 10, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Since we are posting garden furniture, here is an offering of mine - Everyone PLEASE feel free to offer constructive criticism re this shot which is not as nicely lighted as Snappy's but I kind of like the repetition

5936896-S.jpg
    rolleyes1.gif (Laughing at myself) I don't know what I expected when I read your comment, but when I scrolled down to the shot I was surprised. It is soooo different from my shot. It's a different mood. But, a great picture! The light is great. The repitition is great. It's cool.
    I like it. mwink.gif

A thought: What if you blacked out all the speckles in background and cleaned up all the spots and cracks on the chairs and made it real sharp? It might give it a more "modern art" look. Just a thought. Take it with a grain of salt.[/QUOTE]

I am so grateful for your response, Snappy - I was beginning to think that maybe my image was not worthy around all the sturm und drang we have been viewing on this thread.Laughing.gif This is just a simple little repetition theme with garden chairs that caught my eye as I was wandering around on another cloudy grey day.

I was aware of all the defects in the chairs and considered cloning them out, but that would be a long involved process and that is the way they truly look - they ARE old and beat up - maybe they would be better if they were in B&W???? or cleaned up color? You pick for me please....

5965111-L.jpg

or cleaner color?

5965112-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    Still trying Lynn, up with the sparrows this morning...

5968171-L.jpg
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    This is beautiful Gubbs...wow.

5968171-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Rutt I like it alot. Although my personal favorite from this expedition would defintaely have to be-
    5950306-S.jpg
    Any Post-processing time put into this one so far?
    Thanks. I think I'll have a hard choice to make come Sunday night/Monday morning. I've liked quite a few of the things I've shot. I liked all the shots I posted in "Nothing But Fog". I also liked:

5648737-S.jpg

5687764-S.jpg

5786136-S.jpg

5851322-S.jpg

5893120-S.jpg

5886972-S.jpg

5912475-S.jpg

But right now, I'm think about this one:

5955706-S.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    hehe
    Judging by the lack of response to meh Camel, I'll give it a go with another little animal friend. :D This is my freshest material, and there isn't much of it. Such a pain to go through the 35mm process to get my submissions on the web. Cross your fingers for a good deal on an f828 for me!

Kane1BnW.jpg

Or how about these little guys??

birdiessizedUSM.jpg
    Its one busy backround headscratch.gif

QOL Critique??
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    5955706-S.jpg

Actually Rutt, with the changes youve made to this one, I'm now liking it better than 'Broad Street Grill'.

Definately more suitable for the current challenge too. Great submission!
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    oh and BTW,

Damon where'd you score your 828 for $720? Private seller?? GJ! rolleyes1.gif
    Help me out, where do i find MY new 828 for $720?
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    This is beautiful Gubbs...wow.
    Thanks Damon
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Still trying Lynn, up with the sparrows this morning...

5968171-S.jpg

I like this one Gubbs! Specially the pose of the man..like he's waiting for something, somebody? Did you think of it in B&W?
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I like this one Gubbs! Specially the pose of the man..like he's waiting for something, somebody? Did you think of it in B&W?
    Thanks Simone, here's a bw, what do you think?
    5969933-M.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    i'm back ....
    everybody okay? any probs?

here's where i was