Options

>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Like this
    5786136-S.jpg[/QUOTE]

Rutt: I like this one. Love the expression and the fact that the boat is yellow and matches the reflection. :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    Ginger: I likethis a lot...
    5838156-S.jpg

I like the way rutt worked with it to bring out the yellows. May I suggest cropping out the frame. It may take several attempts to get all the sides out if you don't get your dotted lines lined up, but I've had to do it myself when I didn't save the unframed version. It worked for me. It's a wonderful picture.

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    Lynn: I like the window...
    lynnma wrote:
    I hopped out to dinner last night at my friends house and saw this.. any good or shall I trash it....
    http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1816&stc=1

The window in your friends house is really nice. The soft light creates a tranquil mood. It's a different "quality of light" than the stairs or some of the others, but it's still beautiful. It's like chosing between apples and oranges. I guess the judges have a tuff job ahead of them.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    Feeling good!
    lynnma wrote:
    How are you feeling snap? are you still getting tired? I expect it's nice to get back to somewhat normal. Hope you are feeling good.
    clap.gif lynn

Thanks Lynn. Feeling pretty good. I've been walking every day. Still only on the flatland, no hills. But, no chest pains. I only worked a short day today. Spent a lot of time on the computer. Just sitting. I'm going to try to upload and link a couple of photos I took this week. They're not great, but the best so far. I may get out again later on.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    OK, here's a couple of shots for my contribution...
    Poppies
    5862867-L.jpg

And another one of the Poppies:

5904588-L.jpg

I'd appreciate comments even though they are not as fantastic as what I see here. I'll try to go for a drive and come up with more later, but so far this is all I have. Boring I suppose.
    :snore
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    I hope the last of Patriot's Point, and Ginette's flowers
    Ginette, I absolutely love your flowers, they are not just flowers, they are light, itself, IMO.

My computer was crashing, and I managed to save another picture of Patriot's Point. I think it is it, or it is the head shot. I did, Ginette, take the other version of that picture out of the frame the same way you suggested. I did it earlier today, but it is too overworked for me to like it, and I think, at this point, it is the main thing. I can see areas that are very wrong. I hope this works. I planned on doing something else to it, one last thing when the computer went, and I can't remember. If anyone thinks of one little last thing I need to do, please let me know.

ginger

5931765-L.jpg
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    By George I thinks she's got it....
    5931765-L.jpg[/QUOTE]

Ginger: I think you really have it right now? I love it. You've really been working hard this week. I'm sorry, I've been out of it.
    Was the comment about the flowers for me? It says Ginnette, but you mentioned removing the frame by cropping, I think. My flowers, the poppies, were the last ones on this thread, so I thought, maybe. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    Is this a contender or not?
    Is this better than the Poppies?
    5862858-L.jpg

I like the light here. But, it's one of those "soft light" types. It's almost sunset, but not as bright as the day of the poppies. It doesn't POP, but I like it. Too me it says, "Relax and enjoy the sunset." It does have a definite quality of light. Gee, I don't know.
    Snappy
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Snappy, I like the second poppy picture - I think it's really good.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Comments, critiques?
    Here is a different crop of an earlier post. did'nt get much feedback. I keep going back to this shot for some reason. Hopefully, the new crop gets rid of the packman effect.

5907517-M.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    Comments please.
    "Worm in Hand"

5907514-L.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    This is a cool cloud...
    5907517-S.jpg[/QUOTE]

Yes, it gets rid of the Pacman ffect. I like the rays of light on the right. It doesn't have a real "Wow" effect, though IMHO. It's sort of growing on me though. I think the black and white is good.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    "Worm in Hand"

5907514-S.jpg

Nice expression here. I think the light may be too bright though, a bit blown out. Maybe you could work with that. And I find the black line distracting, what could be done, I don't know. Soften it maybe.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Oh, I disagree Snappy. I think the blown out exposure creates a better expression. A properly exposed photo wouldn't show the wonder of the child's face. But then, I tend to like over-exposed photos. I also think the black line in the background adds a lot to the framing.
    snapapple wrote:
    Nice expression here. I think the light may be too bright though, a bit blown out. Maybe you could work with that. And I find the black line distracting, what could be done, I don't know. Soften it maybe.
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Here is a different crop of an earlier post. did'nt get much feedback. I keep going back to this shot for some reason. Hopefully, the new crop gets rid of the packman effect.
    5907517-M.jpg
    Nice cloud, but I find there's nothing to reference it against. Is it horizon, straight up etc....
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    "Worm in Hand"
    5907514-L.jpg
    On this one I find the white background too distracting. I'm OK with the line, it's just the white background grabs my eye, not the boy.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 8, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    5862858-S.jpg

I like the light here. But, it's one of those "soft light" types. It's almost sunset, but not as bright as the day of the poppies. It doesn't POP, but I like it. Too me it says, "Relax and enjoy to sunset." It does have a definite quality of light. Gee, I don't know.
    Snappy
    Snappy - I think this is just outstanding - the light is just lovely - very nicely done. This just might be the prize winner.Laughing.gif

Since we are posting garden furniture, here is an offering of mine - Everyone PLEASE feel free to offer constructive criticism re this shot which is not as nicely lighted as Snappy's but I kind of like the repetition

5936896-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    There are so many beautiful potential entries this challenge, that I am thoroughly amazed at some of them. I look forward to next Monday, and being able to view each entrants individual choice.

Ginger... I think that you may have written to me, intending Susan Apple? Though I heartily agree... the poppies are spectacular!

Here is one of the many that I shot with the boys today... Taken in Portsmouth's Old Town, facing North to the piers on the Elizabeth River, near the Naval Hospital, closing in on 8:30 pm. The sun was setting off my shoulder, a storm brewing to the NE made for some beautiful clouds and warm lighting... Now if only some of the photos prove well.

ginette

5940468-L.jpg

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    http://snapapple.smugmug.com/photos/5862858-S.jpg
    snapapple wrote:
    I like the light here. But, it's one of those "soft light" types. It's almost sunset, but not as bright as the day of the poppies. It doesn't POP, but I like it. Too me it says, "Relax and enjoy to sunset." It does have a definite quality of light. Gee, I don't know.
    Snappy

Snappy, for some reason I thought you were Ginette, and now I am confused, who is Ginette????
    Anyway, yes the comment was for you, I love those flowers, and I love this photo of the bench. I tried to copy it as a small and it didn't work. Those are the kinds of things I think of when I say that I never think of light when I shoot, and I wish I could learn to. I like this one best, just because I think there might be some people who are inherently prejudiced against flowers, Seemoon has a flower, too, but no one has a photo like this that I remember.
    Since I seem to be having a problem with names, who knows what I remember, smile. And others can chime in on this, as I could be way off on the flowers.
    g
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    re names and photos
    AltPro wrote:
    There are so many beautiful potential entries this challenge, that I am thoroughly amazed at some of them. I look forward to next Monday, and being able to view each entrants individual choice.

Ginger... I think that you may have written to me, intending Susan Apple? Though I heartily agree... the poppies are spectacular!

Here is one of the many that I shot with the boys today... Taken in Portsmouth's Old Town, facing North to the piers on the Elizabeth River, near the Naval Hospital, closing in on 8:30 pm. The sun was setting off my shoulder, a storm brewing to the NE made for some beautiful clouds and warm lighting... Now if only some of the photos prove well.

ginette

I love it, fast glance as I am on the run as usual. Now I know who Ginette is, and I wonder how I got so confused. I am going to set aside a few pages of my address book to devote to "names" and names. Seriously, I am. Hope I get to it soon. I am terrible with names.

ginger

• Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    re cloud shot and boy with worm
    damonff wrote:
    Oh, I disagree Snappy. I think the blown out exposure creates a better expression. A properly exposed photo wouldn't show the wonder of the child's face. But then, I tend to like over-exposed photos. I also think the black line in the background adds a lot to the framing.
    Someone disagreed with me once, and I was just crushed, very inappropriately, but it bothered me, so I disagree with no one, Laughing.gif.
    I just want to say that I do like the boy with the worm best. It has interest, blown or not. Who knows, if it had a lot of background, unblown, the background might be very distracting. The line I just see as a design element.

I did not comment on the cloud, as very simply, I, unless it were a specific exercise, book or whatever, on clouds, I do not like clouds by themselves. I think of them as something to save to put in photos where they are needed, a tool so to speak. And someday, Cletus being willing, or Andy giving the assignment, I will learn to do that. I like your cloud, but I do not see it as a good entrant.

I don't know about the boy and the light theme, but I love the shot, the blown part could be said to be an effect of light, which I am sure it it, and the expression in the boy's face is a nice light in the world today.

ginger, IMHO
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

I love it, fast glance as I am on the run as usual. Now I know who Ginette is, and I wonder how I got so confused. I am going to set aside a few pages of my address book to devote to "names" and names. Seriously, I am. Hope I get to it soon. I am terrible with names.

ginger

Ginger...
    Thank You for the comments.

ginette,
    aka: altpro, through the lens, ltd & fulload
    Zuni, Virginia
    wave.gif
    biggrinbounce2.gifOh, Ginger... People disagree with me all the time... Don't be crushed... Just remember it's tends to be "survival of the fitest..." and we've survived longer than many... :rollbiggrinbounce2.gif
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

Snappy
    Snap I love the summer evening bench, it's beautiful. Lovely shot. Glad to hear you are getting on with it all. I can't WAIT to walk!! when I can I'm gonna hike all over this land, all over this land la la la.

:D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Here's a shot I took today in rubbish light. It was slinging it down with rain, the sky was ash grey and there was nothing to enhance the pic at all... surely that is a quality of light rolleyes1.gif
    Hi stan.. nice pheasant..glad you did'nt let the rain stop you:D
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Someone disagreed with me once, and I was just crushed, very inappropriately, but it bothered me, so I disagree with no one, Laughing.gif.
    I just want to say that I do like the boy with the worm best. It has interest, blown or not. Who knows, if it had a lot of background, unblown, the background might be very distracting. The line I just see as a design element.

I did not comment on the cloud, as very simply, I, unless it were a specific exercise, book or whatever, on clouds, I do not like clouds by themselves. I think of them as something to save to put in photos where they are needed, a tool so to speak. And someday, Cletus being willing, or Andy giving the assignment, I will learn to do that. I like your cloud, but I do not see it as a good entrant.

I don't know about the boy and the light theme, but I love the shot, the blown part could be said to be an effect of light, which I am sure it it, and the expression in the boy's face is a nice light in the world today.

ginger, IMHO
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I believe I may abandon the clould. Here is another attempt.

5945744-L.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    5945744-S.jpg

Very nice spider. I took a lot of spider pictures and never got one nearly as good. Composition is good, but I'd like to see more of the spider's legs.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    To Frame or Not to Frame
    I am only asking as there is a beautiful framed shot of fireworks on The Challenge. It is the "red" fireworks shot. I didn't even like the picture, then it was framed, and I went "wow", the framing gave me a whole new and better look at the picture, which I now like.

There is another fireworks shot on the same site, I loved that up until it was put up on The Challenge. It kind of looks naked, now, IMO, and lacks the pop that the other shot has. I think it is in the frame???

I am only posting on those shots here, and if it is unethical, or illegal, tell me, but I am only posting on them as a "framing" issue.

I know how some of you think about frames, but does anyone have anything that they could add to bring some sense to me out of the whole subject.
    Some of you might remember that I used to frame heavily, then I was not going to, now I am a bit confused, especially after seeing the affects of the frame on a shot I previously did not like, but now I do.

ginger

My thoughts on this are, I will just tell you why I have been framing and what my thoughts are. I think that digital photos in a contest, or being presented, not for purchase, but just presented, to me they are the same as a selling campaign. Presentation comes into play, in my mind, in a way that it might not have in the days of film, though we did mat in the only club I belonged to.

Are frames an enhancement in something like The Challenge, or in any digital presentation, or are they a distraction? That is my question exactly. Another factor would be are they a waste of space that could be better used by the size of the photo itself?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    Spider v2.0
    rutt wrote:
    5945744-S.jpg

Very nice spider. I took a lot of spider pictures and never got one nearly as good. Composition is good, but I'd like to see more of the spider's legs.
    Thanks Rutt. Here is the almost full frame version. Do you like it better? Perhaps, somewhere in between?

5949893-M.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    5949893-S.jpg

Why not crop left? Keep the whole spider and lose the blur on the right. Maybe crop on the right edge of the golden vertical band?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    5949893-S.jpg

Why not crop left? Keep the whole spider and lose the blur on the right. Maybe crop on the right edge of the golden vertical band?
    Went verticle. Thanks for the suggestions.
    5952332-M.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com