Options

>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    Here are a few hours of work done along the Elizabeth River, Old Town, Portsmouth. The big question is always. are any worth the effort?

5989309-L.jpg

5989280-L.jpg

5989071-L.jpg

5989034-L.jpg

5989027-L.jpg
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    And one more from the other night...
    5990901-L.jpg
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Here are a few hours of work done along the Elizabeth River, Old Town, Portsmouth. The big question is always. are any worth the effort?

5989309-S.jpg

Oooh, Ahhh, number one is my favorite, I think. I like the detail in the sky and the ripples in the water. Also like number 3 and the last one. Number 2 could use some LAB curves like ginger was doing for the sky. It seems a little grey or indestinct or something. But, they are definitely worth the effort. Certainly number 1.
    clap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

I like No. 2 the best. What do you think about cropping a little off of the left side and the bottom. It makes the reflection a little less dramatic, but I gives the sky a little boost and helps the overall compo IMHO. This shot has a calming quality about it, I like it.

Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 11, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Pathfinder, I took a lot of shots of these flowers. I believe this is the original. To what you see here: I rotated it a bit to level the horizon line and cropped. I adjusted the hue to more red. Then I hit unsharp mask. I may have cloned out the house on the upper right or lost it in the crop. I think that's about it. The flowers were backlit, so they had that glowing effect from the start. They are orange, not pastel, so I don't think I can get a pastel effect. It was late afternoon getting near sunset. I sort of expected a blown out, backlit effect. On the second one, I darkened it to get more of a silouette effect.

5984310-L.jpg

Oh well, if this doesn't work, I'll go with the bench. I actually didn't do anything to that except hit the auto contrast. I didn't change the color at all. I liked the warm light as it came off the memory card. Oh yeah, I had to clone out a piece of drip tubing that was under the bench. I actually liked the bench picture a lot.
    I played with your image of the flowers quite a bit and found that the orange and greens were highly saturated with a magenta cast to the sky - Per Rutt, I changed the slopes of the a and b channels to decrease the magenta some, I blurred the foreground to make it less distracting, and desaturated the flowers some and then added a Gaussian blur to soften the light a bit -

5996114-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    5996114-S.jpg

Very nice pathfinder. The biggest impact for me was the crop of the house and the tree on the right - I think without it the flowers stand much taller. They now have full control of the scene. Beautiful crop from an already beautiful shot.
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    I'll give a 3rd vote for 2 alt. Lovely shot.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    Soft Light -

287943884.jpg

brooklynsized.jpg
    My Niece Brooklin. She's my favorite little model.

Taken this weekend at my parents marina with an N70. Going to get the full marina post up in a few.

Marshall
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    This one seemed like a swan in ugly duckling's clothes:

5989034-S.jpg

So I tried a crop to lose the ugly building right and some LAB curves to increase contrast in the most interesting parts of the image and add some blue/pink drama to the sunset. It still might not be the best of the set, but a similar LAB treatment might be good for the others as well.

6000474-L.jpg

Here are the curves:

6000478-S.gif

6000477-S.gif

6000477-S.gif
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    andy wrote:
    no prob ginger i'll fix it. :whip
    I fixed it Andy and I did'nt need the whip...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    but ....
    lynnma wrote:
    I fixed it Andy and I did'nt need the whip...

i have been waiting for a reason to use that smilie!
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    This one
    6002984-L.jpg

or this one?
    6002983-L.jpg

Or toss them and hope for a miracle with this eve's light?

Tim
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    6002983-L.jpg

Tim
    Tim, I am really drwn to this one! The mist, the warm tones on the log, to soft colors in the sky. Beautiful.
    ginette
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    Don't toss, never neglect a miracle
    I am with the lighter one, too, or me too,
    as I try to get to church, I really love it, actually.

All I can say is Me Too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    5936897-S.jpg
    I like this one best now. Did you change the lighting, or did you just put a white line around it?

ginger[/QUOTE]
    I don't think I changed anything - sorry Ginger.lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Soft Light -

287943884.jpg

brooklynsized.jpg
    My Niece Brooklin. She's my favorite little model.

Taken this weekend at my parents marina with an N70. Going to get the full marina post up in a few.

Marshall
    I can't see the image. Can anyone else?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    Hmmmm. I think its time for a smugmug acct. But I'll try one more time before that happens.

Again - My niece - Brooklin. Soft Light.

15158.jpg

15159.jpg

Someone let me know if they still dont work. I'm on a students budget and I've been image hosting for a while now through a friend. Now that his site is down I am stuck roaming the net for free hosting. Theyre working on mine, but it wouldnt supirse me if they dont for you.
    Marshall
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    Marshal, a comment for you...
    Again - My niece - Brooklin. Soft Light.

15158.jpg

15159.jpg

Someone let me know if they still dont work. I'm on a students budget and I've been image hosting for a while now through a friend. Now that his site is down I am stuck roaming the net for free hosting. Theyre working on mine, but it wouldnt supirse me if they dont for you.
    Marshall[/QUOTE]

I see them now. Great eyes! I think I like the second one best. I don't care for the composition in the first one. The stuff on the right detracts from the girl. I like the reflections in the eye on number 2.
    Sorry, I couldn't reduce the size of the pics in this post like we're supposed to. There is no L or M in the URL. I guess it doesn't work the same if you don't have a smugmug site. You really should get one. It's so inexpensive, you can't go wrong. Makes life easier.
    Snappy
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    Thanks Pathfinder..
    5996114-S.jpg[/QUOTE]

I love what you did. I don't know if I could do that. I don't have Photoshop. I only have Photoshop Elements. I really didn't spend much time on that photo. Looks like I could have done better. I'll try it and see if I can learn something. Sometimes Photoshop Elements has the stuff. (It does not have LAB curves though.) I am trying to learn to work with layers. Still not doing too well.

Thanks for your help. This will be a lesson to work on after this weeks contest, I think. I don't have much time now.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    5996114-S.jpg

Very nice pathfinder. The biggest impact for me was the crop of the house and the tree on the right - I think without it the flowers stand much taller. They now have full control of the scene. Beautiful crop from an already beautiful shot.

Gee, FreeUps, I had cropped out the house and straightened the horizon in my original post. Give me credit for something! :cry
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    re Poppies
    Hi, Snappy, I liked the poppies in the first place, before anyone played with them other than you.

Is that a rainbow, or is it the sun, to the left of the tree?

This whole contest is leaving me very sad.

ginger

I think you did great stuff, Snappy. In fact, I think a lot of people did.
    But you are one of the outstanding ones, IMO.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hi, Snappy, I liked the poppies in the first place, before anyone played with them other than you.

Is that a rainbow, or is it the sun, to the left of the tree?

This whole contest is leaving me very sad.

ginger
    Why is it making you feel sad Ginger? it's supposed to be fun! it's such a great place to learn and experiment... please don't be sad :cry
    lynn
    :sweet
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    Hi, Lynn
    Thank you.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    Prayers and My Prayer, too
    6021964-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    Nono snappy. I didnt mean it like that. It is an absolute beautiful photo, and I was just suprised about the minor crop which made it that much stronger. Full credit goes to YOU snappy. Or I guess we could call it 99% snappy , 1% path. But his crop really did do a good number on it. Great shot snappy, great crop Path!

Awesome awesome awesome :D

And hey, at least people are showing your shots attention, I on the other hand have had very little critique provided. umph.gif If people are commenting on your photo, positive of negative, then you know you're at least catching eyes

Marshall
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    :sweet
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thank you.

ginger
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    Wow, Ginger, that's an awesome shot. clap.gif Nice job. Sorry I've been away, not been able to comment on folks' shots, it's been a busy week. Grabbed this, this afternoon.

6031785-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I played with your image of the flowers quite a bit and found that the orange and greens were highly saturated with a magenta cast to the sky - Per Rutt, I changed the slopes of the a and b channels to decrease the magenta some, I blurred the foreground to make it less distracting, and desaturated the flowers some and then added a Gaussian blur to soften the light a bit -

5996114-S.jpg

Lovely work, Pathfinder. That looks really nice.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    A black and white version. Wow, there are some excellent shots in this thread. Rutt's fog man is amazing.

6032800-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    Wow Sid.

6032800-S.jpg