Options

Heads up, all! We're changing Dgrin's signatures rules on February 15th, 2011.

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
edited March 29, 2012 in Dgrin Forum Support
Heads up, all! We're changing Dgrin's signatures rules on February 15th, 2011.

Dgrin's a photo sharing site and our goal is to help the photos stand out by reducing the amount of clutter on every page. That means keeping it trim down there.

These changes include (but are not limited to):
  • Signatures will be limited to 5 lines or less.
  • We'll be standardizing fonts, font size and color keeping them the same as the forum default. Going forward, FONT and COLOR tags in signatures will be ignored.
  • Please, no smilies.
  • Do refrain from 'advertising' in your signature. It's OK to point to your photo site, Facebook or Twitter account but endorsing products or vendors is prohibited.
  • We ask that you add your gear list in the 'Equipment' field in your profile rather than in your signature.
These updates make a huge difference and allow better focus on your posted photos and discussions.

If you use a signature, please take a moment to look at yours and, if necessary, tidy it up.

And if you need a hand, please post in the "Request to Moderators" thread found here.

Feb 15th update:
  • A number of users have requested smaller text in signatures. To accommodate that request, we've allowed SIZE tags with a size of 1 to allow the use of [noparse][size=-1][/size][/noparse] tags.
  • The maximum field length has changed to allow for longer URL's.
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    This is a good idea in a way... my only complaint is I know lots of people make the Ls in their signatures red... that's the only downside. I know on other forums you're allowed to do that...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    This is a good idea in a way... my only complaint is I know lots of people make the Ls in their signatures red... that's the only downside. I know on other forums you're allowed to do that...

Gear gets listed here in your profile http://www.dgrin.com/member.php?u=4
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    Yeah but most of us like to do it this way... it's more convenient to not have to go to a profile... but, I'm just talking about cams and lenses (and flashes), the accesories and misc stuff would go in the profile or in the "link to your gear" thread.
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    I think limiting signatures to 5 lines and reducing spam links is a good idea but to restrict color and equipment is a bad idea.

Our signatures have become our forum personalities and digital identities. If the purpose is to save room on a page and reduce spam than what does the color and equipment have to do with that?

I never go to profile pages on this forum and i will continue to not do so. The equipment listing in the signature is helpful to get a quick reference on what the photo posts have been shot with.eek7.gif
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    Example of why we need to fix things, I can't read your signature completely:

20110201-hs12gmwxgpx3knpjsq37x3t78.jpg
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    I think this is a bigger deal than some people realize because of the choices in colors available to different people. If everyone had to view the forums with the same color scheme then having white text in a post or in your signature may not matter, but to Andy's point since he views it with a white background he cannot read our sig.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    ok, good point with the color i did not realize that it wouldn't reverse like the rest of the text but the equipment?
    My Website
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    yeah all our siggys need to look just alike....no creative freedom.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »

no offense Art, but I don't think it is about creative freedom. Your siggy is not the place for creative freedom, it is a place for people to get a link or a small bit of information of where they can go to see your creative freedom. On your website you can guarantee how someone is going to see your content. On the forums because of the choices in themes there is no way to do this.

Just my 2 cents! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011

20110202-d4kgjm6tstfmikui5srprhcqhs.jpg

Classic example (sorry Art), but your signature is 9/10s of the space in this post. And it's visually blinding. You can see how this can easily take up a lot of page space in a thread you are posting in.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    Andy, will things like Bold, Italics, Strike-through, etc... still be allowed?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    and it is MY signature.......not something that some corp., mod. or other entity told me I had to have......
    it looks perfectly fine on black...very nice and colorful.......so change your background/theme to black....it will be fine....
    and no need to psuedo apologize...you have said more than once you do not like the GARISH colors.....
    but see that is simply INDIVIDUALISM....and as individuals we should have our siggys any way we want..
    OUR Individualism is what separates us from a lot of other ............................................................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    I think signatures should show some creativitiy, it's what identifies each member (in a way). When I think of Art, I think of that signature... same with others here. I do see Andy's point about the text color. The only thing that I don't like about this, is the text color. Yes, white is invisible on white. But red is visible on white, gray and black. So is green, yellow, etc. Maybe we could outlaw just balck and white text; everything else is visible on each color scheme.

From what I understand, we will still be allowed to list our gear... as long as it's 5 lines or less and default color.

edit: Ya' know, I just posted and was kinda disappointed at how my new boring signature looked... the old one was TOTALLY me :D Just saying. I do understand where the mods are coming from. But I don't think I had any white or black in the old one...
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    yay!

:hide
    Chris
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    Rhuarc wrote: »

It's up to Dgrin - and to the point of a few other posters - it's not SmugMug making any such decisions, it's the volunteer Admins and mods. Thanks.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    I think a minimal equip list is useful - especially when in the Camera forum from people w/ questions who forget to mention WHAT they are shooting with :) but the FULL list and wishlist and lines and lines and lines .... GOOD RIDANCE.

And thank you :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback folks.

All personal attacks will be deleted (and have been). thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 1, 2011
    personally I'd rather see members' personalities shine through in their photos.

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    All,

We're interested in constructive feedback. No need to be snarky about it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    I was kinda disappointed about the smileys also, but I can see the mods' point: they can be distracting and take away from the actual post. Like I said before I think colors should be allowed since they're visible on each scheme.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    and the words "don't do it" don't qualify as constructive criticism??????

I am going to have to look at other image hosting options and stop frequenting this forum.

Now Dgrin has resorted to eliminating my posts, so much for freedom of speech even when it does not violate the rules of the forum!

Shawn, your many posts in the past few minutes just got to be really distracting. Please make calm, clear, passionate arguments, in a civil manner, and you can post anything you like. Really. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    I was kinda disappointed about the smileys also, but I can see the mods' point: they can be distracting and take away from the actual post. Like I said before I think colors should be allowed since they're visible on each scheme.

white and light grey is very much NOT visible quite often. I use the whitewash and have to highlight text just to read it at times. Not fun. Nothing wrong with standarizing the format. It's what we WRITE that really counts around here :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    I know it's what we write... I'm talking about blue, red, green etc. Maybe they choose which swatches to ignore (like white, black, and shades very close to those)?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    simply put it is a control issue......what next limit emoticons to one per post? ............... and no more ellipses, in reality it is not saving server space or any such thing....it is control.

• Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    do colors and emoicons make a post 'good'?

I think that's really the key question. It does not. Nor does huge color fonts with information that isn't needed.

Now, the CONTENT of those posts ... that's what makes this place awesome. I'd gold plate all Ziggy's posts if I could :P
    //Leah
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    simply put it is a control issue......what next limit emoticons to one per post? ............... and no more ellipses, in reality it is not saving server space or any such thing....it is control.

We didn't wake up in the morning and say "hey lets exercise some control". Its just that some users' signatures were getting a tad extreme.

I had to modify my own signature. I didn't feel any pain at all. If that's the worse thing that happens today then it should be one fine day.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    do colors and emoicons make a post 'good'?

I think that's really the key question. It does not. Nor does huge color fonts with information that isn't needed.

Now, the CONTENT of those posts ... that's what makes this place awesome. I'd gold plate all Ziggy's posts if I could :P

maybe not but it makes for more fun reading and adds individualizm.....other wise why have a signature at all.........there should be no restrictions on siggys unless it is harming someone....colors and size do no harm........but in reality it makes no difference...the powers are going to do what ever with out our considerayshun....

sorry to see Shawn go............

• Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    I agree that our signatures add individualism... as I said when I think of a member I think of his signature. I can see the other side, yes the signatures are long sometimes. I'd be ok with 5 lines max. Mine looks a bit crowded now, but I can live with that... it didn't ruin my day:D That said, I think we should be allowed freedom of colors that can be seen on all three. Look at my sig. Is the red L distracting? I don't think so, esp. after the other changes I made. Having just one color doesn't reduce clutter. It...gives our signatures less personality.

Can people be more specific and say what exactly they're unhappy with? No smileys? 5 line max?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator
    edited February 2, 2011
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    Yes, bold, underline and italics will be allowed.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2011
    I think colors like red, green, blue, orange, etc. should be allowed since they can be seen on all the schemes. Why not just eliminate the colors that don't work on the layouts?:Dmwink.gifrolleyes1.gifhuhne_nau.giflustheadscratch.gifclap.gifrolleyes:crythumb.gifivarwings.gifdealbowdown.gif
    My Website