Options

Heads up, all! We're changing Dgrin's signatures rules on February 15th, 2011.

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Click on the top right button in the Edit Signature box, I think it has an A on it. You'll see the html code. Remove the COLOR tags around your name thumb.gif

I was thinking along those lines, tried it, but I get an error message - it leaves me with a dull gray signature and says, "bb font not allowed."
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    This is an example of why I sometimes feel like running away to a Pacific island where there is no electricity, no computers, no cell phones - nothing.

A simple thing - attempting to writing my name properly - a task that should take 10 seconds, is now approaching 30 minutes.

And every day it's something - video up-loading issues (that took up all of Wednesday); a cell phone that freezes up routinely; video conferencing programs that don't work properly; and even the washing machines in my building that can't be counted on. Every day I pray, dear God, please let all the gadgets in my life work today.

Geesh, I don't know about anybody else, but I'm really tired of all this time-wasting nonsense.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    This is an example of why I sometimes feel like running away to a Pacific island where there is no electricity, no computers, no cell phones - nothing.

A simple thing - attempting to writing my name properly - a task that should take 10 seconds, is now approaching 30 minutes.

And every day it's something - video up-loading issues (that took up all of Wednesday); a cell phone that freezes up routinely; video conferencing programs that don't work properly; and even the washing machines in my building that can't be counted on. Every day I pray, dear God, please let all the gadgets in my life work today.

Geesh, I don't know about anybody else, but I'm really tired of all this time-wasting nonsense.

Ah, you're using the WYSIWYG editor. I don't care for it, and I forget what about it might confuse people. Anyway, I fixed your signature for you. I removed the color and the font, so you should be able to make any changes you want without getting that error message. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Ah, you're using the WYSIWYG editor. I don't care for it, and I forget what about it might confuse people. Anyway, I fixed your signature for you. I removed the color and the font, so you should be able to make any changes you want without getting that error message. thumb.gif

Thank you! Okay, I guess I'll cancel my flight.:D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator
    edited February 19, 2011
    If anyone else is having a problem editing their sig, just put a note in the Request to Moderators thread and we'll be glad to help.

Thanks to all who have modified their sigs. I think threads are easier to read already. We had hoped that we could modify existing sigs automagically, but the process did not work as well as expected. We're still working on it. If your sig doesn't conform to the new rules, please take a moment to change it.

Cheers,
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Personally, I think that the new limits are an improvement - but just 2 lines would be even better, imo - not 5.
    One used for various links and the other for name, some pithy comment (if desired), + (maybe) a pointer to the fact that there's oodles more goodies in the profile etc.

sara505's is an excellent example of getting multiple chunks of info over in a neat, tidy, efficient manner that's easy to read (not all caps) - again, imo.

Having any form of a gear list in the sig is one of the biggest turn offs (for me) I can think of.

pp
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Having any form of a gear list in the sig is one of the biggest turn offs (for me) I can think of.

pp

when people are asking specific questions about gear it is a real time saver not to have to go clik on their name and go to their profile to see what they have....................

same as when people are asking about specifics on pricing without knowing where they are from doesn't help as pricing is area specific......it is hard to charge NYC or SF prices if you live in Red cloud Ok with a POP of 15000.....and yes I realize that location is with avatar.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Personally, I think that the new limits are an improvement - but just 2 lines would be even better, imo - not 5.
    One used for various links and the other for name, some pithy comment (if desired), + (maybe) a pointer to the fact that there's oodles more goodies in the profile etc.

sara505's is an excellent example of getting multiple chunks of info over in a neat, tidy, efficient manner that's easy to read (not all caps) - again, imo.

pp

Thank you.

I already like the new look - so much less clutter for the already over-burdened mind to have to process - and can't understand what all the anger is about.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    Thank you.

I already like the new look - so much less clutter for the already over-burdened mind to have to process - and can't understand what all the anger is about.

Thanks, Sara, and sorry about the bumpy ride! We're getting there. clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Thanks, Sara, and sorry about the bumpy ride! We're getting there. clap.gif

Interesting, my intention, and the way I wrote out my signature was two lines: one line for my name, one line for my smug sites and blogs, but it really depends on how one views the page. If you're viewing on a wide screen, it appears as described above, but if you're viewing on a narrow screen, it's five lines.

I never thought of that. Glad it still fits.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    when people are asking specific questions about gear it is a real time saver not to have to go clik on their name and go to their profile to see what they have....................

Have seen this response before - and - from my pov, I'm not convinced.

If an individual is contemplating a reasonable response to a posted Q, I'd suggest that the time required to have a shufties at the profile - compared with the time required to think what to write - and actually write it (assuming it's worth writing in the first place) is somewhat insignificant.

If there's a link to said gear - whether via the profile or an actual link in the sig - only those people who actually *want / need* to see said gear will use whatever route(s) exist.

For everyone else, they get an even less cluttered forum experience.

Having a gear list only informs what gear the user has got - not what has been used with whatever (pic) they're having issues with - so they have to explicitly state said info - in which case the list is redundant.

Can't believe I'm the only one who reads profiles - if that's the case, scrap 'em :)

pp
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Having a gear list only informs what gear the user has got - not what has been used with whatever (pic) they're having issues with - so they have to explicitly state said info - in which case the list is redundant.
    15524779-Ti.gif I wish we had a way of automatically including full EXIF data.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited February 19, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif I wish we had a way of automatically including full EXIF data.

You could use one of the many browser plugins to read it. Which would be more accurate (assuming it wasn't stripped) than reading a gear list.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    You could use one of the many browser plugins to read it. Which would be more accurate (assuming it wasn't stripped) than reading a gear list.
    I haven't seen any that work for Smuggy links, which account for most of the pics we see here. I believe SM stores those data separately from the images.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    I haven't seen any that work for Smuggy links, which account for most of the pics we see here. I believe SM stores those data separately from the images.

This one works for me: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fxif/
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    I wish we had a way of automatically including full EXIF data.

Just out interest, how would this be presented to the viewer - immediately by hovering cursor over the image - or having to click on it - or some other way ?

pp
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Just out interest, how would this be presented to the viewer - immediately by hovering cursor over the image - or having to click on it - or some other way ?

pp

I disagree with "automatic". It's as annoying as ad-words when you hover over them--the last thing I want to see is a pop-up every time the mouse crosses a link (there's a plug-in to get rid of that too :D).

If you use the browser plug-in, just right click on the image and select EXIF info from the menu.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011

I have 2 of them added to my FF....Jeffry friedl's (sp?? ) is great....it shows a turned down upper left corner
    of the pic...... get cursor close and clik on it and it takes you to the exif.....if no turned down corner I usually use the one from fireFox add-on's those are my favorite ones....anymore so many people are stripping the exif, and I am sure they do not realize that using the "save" button does that and that they must use the "save as" to retain their exif.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    wings.gif Finally. Thanks for that, Ian. Seems to work well.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    I disagree with "automatic". It's as annoying as ad-words when you hover over them--the last thing I want to see is a pop-up every time the mouse crosses a link (there's a plug-in to get rid of that too :D).
    15524779-Ti.gif. Mouseovers are nice when you are learning a new program and don't understand the cryptic icons on tiny buttons, but after that, they are annoying. Right-click context menus are the way to go, IMO.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Only just come across this thread but would like to add my thumb.gif to the new signature rules. Personally I found line after line of this and that, colors etc very annoying and distracting - thanks for dong this.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Now to ban the use of full caps, which are considered to be 'shouting' in web etiquette, and which are totally unnecessary in a signature. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    Now to ban the use of full caps, which are considered to be 'shouting' in web etiquette, and which are totally unnecessary in a signature. thumb.gif
    The curious thing about full caps is that since they are harder to read, they defeat their own purpose of calling attention to themselves. Karmic justice, maybe? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    The curious thing about full caps is that since they are harder to read, they defeat their own purpose of calling attention to themselves. Karmic justice, maybe? lol3.gif

Indeed ... and a similar thought crossed my mind when I (briefly) mentioned same in my first post here.

Considering we only have 2 means of communication available - pics / text - you'd have thought that std 'readability' guidelines for the latter would apply - in the same way that we (attempt to) fine tune image composition to only include what we actually want in frame - before pressing the shutter release?

pp
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011

Uh oh....
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Ha, i dont seem to be able to get rig of my smiley, it keeps coming back as :jfriend, help

:jfriend:jfriend:jfriend:jfriend

Fixed it thanks, it woun"t save untill you fix all the errors....
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Thanks guys! Love the new "Siglite" look. Got really tired in the past when signatures (especially those from a few) were so stuffed with links, smug mug codes and praise for various products it appeared that their signatures made up 70% or more of any post they made. Really sucked when browsing from iphones and such. Really, thank you!
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Speaking from browsing from iPhones (iTouch), in Tapatalk you can turn off signatures, so you don't have to see them at all, if you wish! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Speaking from browsing from iPhones (iTouch), in Tapatalk you can turn off signatures, so you don't have to see them at all, if you wish! :D

Don

You can do that on the forum, as well.

Upper left, click on You!>Edit Options>Thread Display Options>Show Signatures
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    You can do that on the forum, as well.

Upper left, click on You!>Edit Options>Thread Display Options>Show Signatures

Well, it does look a lot cleaner, but I do check out peoples sites from their signatures. Guess I'll just check their profiles. Thanks for this tip. Didn't know that!