Options

Heads up, all! We're changing Dgrin's signatures rules on February 15th, 2011.

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Art is gonna have to make his sig 5 lines (he has 8 lines of text now) and one color... that will take away personality and individualism. It would be better if he could at least keep the colors like R, G, B and stuff that works with all schemes. Do signatures make posts better? Of course not. But they identify us as members. They add personality. I think most of us have signatures with less than 5 lines anyway. It won't be too hard to change that.

Personally if I were in charge I'd keep things as they are. But if the mods want to cut down on clutter, I can live with that. I think we should be able to use bright colors tho, for the plethora of reasons I just stated. They don't add clutter.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I cannot believe so many are so up in arms over a sig line. I am certain we all have ways we see things, ways we remember things and ways we prefer to categorize things too. I admit to enjoying reading the banter about it all though.

I am all for Mods, especially considering Volunteers (at that!), in deciding how it is that we could improve the forum. This forum is well moderated and THAT is what makes it work and makes it worthwhile to post/reply to threads.

Personally I am tickled each day when I awaken to find that the forum still exists, that the Dgrin Challenges still exist, and new threads and posts continue to be published.

You allow me a sig line where I can 'stamp' my name and not have to write it over and over is enough for me~

And gear lists...I only know when a newbie posts and asks a question about a camera or lens prob and doesn't have gear or EXIF incl. that we need gear lists in threads.
    tom wise
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I think the problem with larger signatures is yes, they're nice to look at the first couple of times, after a while it's just another thing to skip over.
    I too would like to see at least some of the colors to stay, but if not, I'm not going to leave the forum because of it.

I see the mention of removing a person's creativeness.
    How often do people change their sig's? Not very often.

I maybe change the little slogan twice a year, other than that, it stays the same, and then I just quote someone else. I'm not very creative.

So, I did have a bit of color, I did have a different size font (smaller), and I did have a smiley face icon.
    I've changed it to reflect the new rules. Sorry, I don't see the big deal.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    and it is MY signature.......not something that some corp., mod. or other entity told me I had to have......
    it looks perfectly fine on black...very nice and colorful.......so change your background/theme to black....it will be fine....
    and no need to psuedo apologize...you have said more than once you do not like the GARISH colors.....
    but see that is simply INDIVIDUALISM....and as individuals we should have our siggys any way we want..
    OUR Individualism is what separates us from a lot of other ............................................................................

I don't care for your sig, Art...but I agree with you...it's an extention of yourself as you want it. Your vision is just that and you are entitled to it.

I can't believe there aren't better things to worry about here.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 2, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    ...I had to modify my own signature...

me too. no biggie!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    Angelo wrote: »
    me too. no biggie!

I even dumped my link to deadsquirrel.com :cry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I am not sure why all the flap. I have frequented other forums where the rules are similar and I can say, not once have I thought, "Dang, I wish I could have more lines of text and colors to expand my signature". My signature is just that a way of signing that I wrote the post and putting a few pieces of information. I look at it like signing a letter or a check, would I put lots of information in the signature? I would put the information in the content section. If I want to go crazy and list lots of things, I have my own domain to do that stuff - I can just put a link to it in my signature.

Also remember that not everyone has a huge monitor with high speed internet, I have been known to read this forum on a Blackberry while delayed on a plane. Having shorter signatures is something that will help make that easier.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 2, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    I even dumped my link to deadsquirrel.com :cry

now THAT'S just wrong! eek7.gif

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    The people here who don't mind this are the people who don't have unique signaturesne_nau.gif
    I was kinda sad to see Harry's smiley go, it was totally him ;~).

Dgrin's a photo sharing site and our goal is to help the photos stand out by reducing the amount of clutter on every page. That means keeping it trim down there.

It's not just a photo sharing site, it's much more than that. We talk gear, technique, business, and buy and sell.
    Signatures will be limited to 5 lines or less.

For some that will be a problem, for others it will make the sig cramped. If that's how you guys want to reduce clutter then I can live with that.
    We'll be standardizing fonts, font size and color keeping them the same as the forum default. Going forward, FONT, SIZE and COLOR tags in signatures will be ignored.

I've stated my opinion about color, and I don't think I've seen anyone with too big a font size.
    Please, no smilies.

I can see how some people might think they're distracting, but I've never noticed this.
    We suggest adding your gear list in the 'Equipment' field in your profile rather than in your signature.

I don't think most people visit profiles; it's not as convenient; it's normal for people to list their gear in their online signature, photo forums or not.
    These updates make a huge difference and allow better focus on your posted photos and discussions.

Maybe for some, but I have never been distracted by a signature. For me, it's a negative difference.
    I am all for Mods, especially considering Volunteers (at that!), in deciding how it is that we could improve the forum. This forum is well moderated and THAT is what makes it work and makes it worthwhile to post/reply to threads.

Absolutely! But this change is not "improving" the forum. It's making it less interesting. Just think: everyone's signature will look almost exactly the same.

And for us Canonians/Canonites, having the red Ls in our signature has for years been the classy, "pro" thing to do. It looks professional. It indicates *often*, but certainly not always, that you're a pro. And I'm sorry, but that's another sweet thing about getting a new L: adding another red letter to your signature.:Dmwink.gif

That's more of an issue for some of us than others. But, those of us who have the more unique signatures are the ones "protesting" here.

As with any decision by authority, there are gonna be people who disagree, complain, find faults. I'm trying to state my opinion rationally here, and possibly get part of this changed.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I strongly support the upcoming changes. This area has been a mess and I'm pleased to see that unnecessarily oversized, crass and ugly signatures are about to be reined in. thumb.gif
    ian408 wrote: »
    We'll be standardizing fonts, font size and color keeping them the same as the forum default. Going forward, FONT, SIZE and COLOR tags in signatures will be ignored ... If you use a signature, please take a moment to look at yours and, if necessary, tidy it up.
    At present we can't see how the new standardised signature formatting will look, or can we?

As a guide, can I presume Andy's present sig will continue to be displayed as at present, i.e. with a smaller font size used in subsequent lines after the first?
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I don't visit this forum nearly as often as I used to, but when I do I have a difficult time reading a lot of signatures because of the white text (I use the white background).

I fully agree with keeping the gear in the sig line, or for those of us with a lot of gear a link, because in all my time here I don't think that I ever looked at a profile.

Are some sig lines over the top, yeah, but Dgrin is often over the top. In my opinion, limit the space but let the creativity stand. Just keep in mind that some of us like the choice in backgrounds, so if you are going to be creative let all of us see it.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited February 2, 2011
    Thanks for the support WWW! We're really wanting to bring more attention to photos and comments in the forums proper rather than personal equipment inventories, etc.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    Reading this is definitely more fun than the rolling blackouts we're having today from the Winter Storm from Hellinback.

+1 on the new sig rules, but I also believe in the "more is less" philosophy, although you wouldn't believe that from my desk. :)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 2, 2011
    dtw78 wrote: »
    I think colors like red, green, blue, orange, etc. should be allowed since they can be seen on all the schemes. Why not just eliminate the colors that don't work on the layouts?

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. I wish it were but it's an all or nothing thing and that's not to say a new skin won't come down the line later and cause us to edit the color scheme again.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited February 3, 2011
    At present we can't see how the new standardised signature formatting will look, or can we?

Sure you can. Go to You->Signature->edit and remove whatever size and color tags are there then hit Preview.
  • Options
    JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    dtw78 wrote: »
    Our signatures have become our forum personalities and digital identities.
    yeah all our siggys need to look just alike....no creative freedom.......
    I agree that our signatures add individualism... as I said when I think of a member I think of his signature.
    but see that is simply INDIVIDUALISM....and as individuals we should have our siggys any way we want..
    OUR Individualism is what separates us from a lot of other ....

...etc

Your forum personality and digital identity shine through loud and clear in your posts. Express your creative freedom in your photographs and the work you share here. Don't forget you also have your username, your avatar, and the caption above your avatar to further define you who are.

I'm strongly with Andy and the mods on this one. I don't want to scroll through 16 lines of your double-spaced signature to read your one line post (sorry Art, don't mean to single you out). If you feel 5 lines will crowd your signature, try to focus on less content that is more important to you.
    and it is MY signature..........so change your background/theme to black....

...and is it MY background/theme.
    sorry, couldn't resist.

-J
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Jzazzi wrote: »
    Your forum personality and digital identity shine through loud and clear in your posts. Express your creative freedom in your photographs and the work you share here. Don't forget you also have your username, your avatar, and the caption above your avatar to further define you who are.

clap.gifclap

None of the greatest writers in history needed colors, font sizes or smilies to express their genius. The main use of these typographical contrivances is advertising, that is, to call attention to itself. Frankly, it seems egotistical and a disservice to others. Want to express your creativity? Pick up your camera and create some stunning images. deal.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Jzazzi wrote: »
    (sorry Art, don't mean to single you out).
    doesn't bother me...I have dared to be different all of my life....as I said this is simply to show control...99.9% of the human race a re followers and a few us us are not, we do walk and work to the bat of a different drum and others cannot stand us to buck the syetem
    ........I was told mor e than once that my colors are garish and "I" do not like them....the hillbillys around OARK Ark did not like my tye dyed clothes or my paisley prints either....it is the exact same mentality ......dare to be different and you get ostracized .....go look at the list of powers and then check to see how many make at least 85% of their living from photography or any artistic creative outlet........you might be amazed at what you find......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    No one is being ostracized. Its just a simple rule change. You can still march to the beat of a different drummer with your art and your verse.

I too have tried to march to a different drummer down here in Florida. Just because I overlook their speed suggestions they keep pulling me over and give me those darn tickets.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    doesn't bother me...I have dared to be different all of my life....as I said this is simply to show control.

Showing control is when a Moderator censures your post or thread. That is a Show of control.
    Otherwise Control is what Mod's do. If they didn't I would have never made my first post, or perhaps quit in a short period of time. You've(?) seen those forums where Mod's are not active, right? They SUCK!

..99.9% of the human race a re followers and a few us us are not, we do walk and work to the bat of a different drum and others cannot stand us to buck the syetem
    ........I was told mor e than once that my colors are garish and "I" do not like them....the hillbillys around OARK Ark did not like my tye dyed clothes or my paisley prints either....it is the exact same mentality ......dare to be different and you get ostracized

Are you saying you feel ostracized? Sorry to hear it! I for one think of you just this way: Colorful, opinionated, Sigma-lover, doesn't believe in Chimping in front of clients, knows about Reiki, has DM, and most of all participates whether 'you' like it or not!

I've never noticed anyone attempting to ostracize you via verbiage/text here. From what I have seen many folks around here trust that you'll chime in about given things. Always with an experienced eye, and often with a refreshing point of view, however different. Anybody worth beans knows they have to hear as many sides or facets to an issue or problem to truly be in heuristic form.

I think many of us truly march to a different drummer...when we put it all together, they call it a band, right?
    tom wise
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    .dare to be different

Yeah we're all a bunch of conformists lol3.gif

Our company portraits:
    http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559_f3ta9#131487110_FdKeW
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    It's been so long since I've posted I wanted to see what my sig looks like.
    *oh ya, never had one......

fyi, I haven't been gone, I just enjoy lurking dgrin nowdays so FWIW, I back this new policy simply because many sig's simply get on my nerves.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

Our company portraits:

Looks like conformity to me.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Showing control is when a Moderator censures your post or thread.
    oh it has happened..more than once...right in this thread...3 times......and my emailing directly to one power got me a vacation.........so yes it has happened.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Looks like conformity to me.

lol3.gif I was contrasting it to something like this:

325353_bTPv4-S-1.jpg

(my Dad's IBM Portrait from 1980)
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

Our company portraits:

yes you are...and funny little cartoon character painted faces are a great facade to hide behind......

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    I think the feedback has been received from certain individuals. Can we keep the negativity in the can for now? Voice has been voiced. Now mute it? please? It's really ruining the entire good vibe of this forum.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    yes you are...and funny little cartoon character painted faces are a great facade to hide behind......

Heh. I don't think in 9 years we've ever, ever hidden anything. We go out of our way to be transparent, Art. I'm sorry you're so upset about this change :(
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    I'm all for the new sigs but wonder if it would be possible to make it easier for new users to create an acceptable one. At present there is a very big white space for the sig with numerous options for font, etc.
    Instead, can you offer a 'simple version' with prompts for Smugmug page, Facebook, Twitter, Blog, Other and then make those into simple links with the appropriate symbol or text? Before I realized how to do this, my sig was fairly garish with 4 lines of links spelled out rather than neatly tucked in as below.
    E
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I'm all for the new sigs but wonder if it would be possible to make it easier for new users to create an acceptable one. At present there is a very big white space for the sig with numerous options for font, etc.
    We're pretty much at the mercy of how the vBulletin software works, so I don't think we can add prompts. However, the options for font, color, etc. should go away once we make the change.