Options

Heads up, all! We're changing Dgrin's signatures rules on February 15th, 2011.

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    lol3.gif I was contrasting it to something like this:

325353_bTPv4-S-1.jpg

(my Dad's IBM Portrait from 1980)

Oh! No, that's not allowed.:D
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    I think the feedback has been received from certain individuals. Can we keep the negativity in the can for now? Voice has been voiced. Now mute it? please? It's really ruining the entire good vibe of this forum.

Try to keep a positive attitude towards negativism...please.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 3, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    yes you are...and funny little cartoon character painted faces are a great facade to hide behind......

Give it a rest Art.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited February 3, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Try to keep a positive attitude towards negativism...please.

rolleyes1.gif You may have a great future as a mod, Ric.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gif You may have a great future as a mod, Ric.

...and lose the love of the masses?! oh no, not me.:D

BTW if it wasn't 5° out and 20" of new snow.....I think I'd be using my time otherwise right now. :cry

Take care, Richard.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    So much angst over signatures. In the past 24 hours I spoke with a close relative about his impending divorce & received news that a close friend passed away from his widow. The folks I spoke to were handling those situations with a lot less pyscho-drama than I'm seeing here.

If you are really are a "non-conformist" its a state of being and you do not need to be announce it. Trust me folks will notice it w/o colors or 22 line signatures. If its an issue of "creativity" there's this thing called photography and I hear that's a real good way of being creative.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Settle down everyone, conformity or not, if this is the rule then it's gonna stay that way. I don't think it's wanting to "exercise control," but I just wonder how many people have said "this thread is too hard to read because of these signatures." Ostracized, no; limited, yes.

I agree that this forum is VERY WELL MODERATED and after this change is still much better than a poorly moderated forum with signature freedom.

And as a side note, shooting with a Konica Minolta DSLR is VERY different (I know nothing about the cam).

No one's signature has EVER gotten on my nerves, signatures just show personality. I agree, words and photos do too.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    So much angst over signatures. In the past 24 hours I spoke with a close relative about his impending divorce & received news that a close friend passed away from his widow. The folks I spoke to were handling those situations with a lot less pyscho-drama than I'm seeing here.

Not to be disagreeable, Harry...but I'd rather talk about these silly things than my real problems. Perhaps it's a welcomed distraction to others too.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    yes you are...and funny little cartoon character painted faces are a great facade to hide behind......

Art, there's a big difference between expressing your individual creativity and being an argumentative person slinging accusations. Please stop.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Not to be disagreeable, Harry...but I'd rather talk about these silly things than my real problems. Perhaps it's a welcomed distraction to others too.ne_nau.gif

The discussion is fine and to be expected. The drama and the angst is just a tad over the top.

I mean we are just talking about signatures here. If you want to get excited about something there's a lot of better options available. Just off the top of my head there's this overlooked issue of the squirrel menace. Now that is something to get serious about.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited February 3, 2011
    Just off the top of my head there's this overlooked issue of the squirrel menace. Now that is something to get serious about.

New rule: no signatures at all for squirrels. deal.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    ... signatures just show personality.
    Unfortunately not. Some just show bad taste, and obstruct and distract the purpose of the forums, which is to share information.

The purpose of these boards has nothing to do with 'showing personality'. Anyone wanting to draw attention to their 'personality' can put on a silly hat and stand on a street corner.
    We go out of our way to be transparent, Art. I'm sorry you're so upset about this change
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, with the greatest of respect, while Andy can't and shouldn't say so, Art's signature is a perfect example of what needs to go - IMHO.

Those resisting the change will continue to protest until 15 February (and perhaps after), but the change will happen on that date - just bring it on! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Art, there's a big difference between expressing your individual creativity and being an argumentative person slinging accusations. Please stop.

Have not slung 1 accusation on this forum......I do believe the pained face on here are supposedly SUPER HEREOS not cartoons faces...right????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    The discussion is fine and to be expected. The drama and the angst is just a tad over the top.

Okay...I'll be completely honest...when I first heard that sigs were going to be changed it bothered me a little bit. I consider my sig to be in good taste and a reflection of who I am. Now...is it a big deal?...well, hell no!

I think anyone who argues too vehemently pro or con to be foolish. But...because this is the WWW things can be perceived to be overwrought when in actuality they are not. Prejudices and all that, ya' know.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Okay...I'll be completely honest...when I first heard that sigs were going to be changed it bothered me a little bit. I consider my sig to be in good taste and a reflection of who I am. Now...is it a big deal?...well, hell no!

I think anyone who argues too vehemently pro or con to be foolish. But...because this is the WWW things can be perceived to be overwrought when in actuality they are not. Prejudices and all that, ya' know.

So far one member is on vacation and I have seen some statements made that were ridiculous.

I wasn't thrilled to lose my smiley in my signature or to drop deadsquirrel and Rehab is for Quitters from my sig but that the way it went. If that's the worse thing that happens today the it should be a fine day. Of course I went out in 70 degrees today and did some shooting so I'm in a good mood. Unlike some folks who I hear have low temps and this snow stuff.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Of course I went out in 70 degrees today and did some shooting so I'm in a good mood. Unlike some folks who I hear have low temps and this snow stuff.

Since I know it will make you feel better...here is what I think of those statements: FLIPA.gif and :cry
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Since I know it will make you feel better...here is what I think of those statements: FLIPA.gif and :cry

can i use that first smiley in my signature?
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    dtw78 wrote: »

rolleyes1.gif

Well...it must be in good taste since it's available for use.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    I think it's A Good Thing. I get so tired of wading through acres of fonts of every shape and hue informing me of not just each piece of photographic gear but a complete inventory of hardware and software! (as if I give a damn!) Brevity is The Soul of Wit!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    dtw78 wrote: »
    ian408 wrote: »
    These changes include (but are not limited to):
    • Please, no smilies.

I just hope this will not be discretionary but will be enforced, in the same way as fonts, font colours and sizes will be!
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    I just hope this will not be discretionary but will be enforced, in the same way as fonts, font colours and sizes will be!

yes it was a joke cause of the whole middle finger thing
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011

It's a tick box. Once checked, no more smilies :)
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    It's a tick box.
    So it's an option? Who's option?
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    So it's an option? Who's option?

forum software option.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    forum software option.
    ... which will be set by SmugMug to 'no smilies'? nod.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    ... which will be set by SmugMug to 'no smilies'? nod.gif

That's what I'll be setting it to. Yes. There'll be no smilies :D
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    It's up to Dgrin - and to the point of a few other posters - it's not SmugMug making any such decisions, it's the volunteer Admins and mods. Thanks.

I have had no interest in creating a signature for myself. But. . . the way this is being done grates! The first post in this thread starts with "Heads up, all! We're changing Dgrin's signatures rules on February 15th, 2011." This was the FIRST sign I saw that this was even being considered. And then the quote above refers to "volunteer Admins and mods". What about the USERS having any voice? This comes across as an edict from on high with NO INPUT FROM USERS — that we are being told with no voice in if it is going to be done or not! I get the impression that regardless of what anyone posts this is a FINAL decision that will not be changed!
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Jane B. wrote: »
    I have had no interest in creating a signature for myself. But. . . the way this is being done grates! The first post in this thread starts with "Heads up, all! We're changing Dgrin's signatures rules on February 15th, 2011." This was the FIRST sign I saw that this was even being considered. And then the quote above refers to "volunteer Admins and mods". What about the USERS having any voice? This comes across as an edict from on high with NO INPUT FROM USERS — that we are being told with no voice in if it is going to be done or not! I get the impression that regardless of what anyone posts this is a FINAL decision that will not be changed!

What's the issue with that? Hey, they gave warning! Many places just change things with no notice. Really now.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011

When I first signed up for Dgrin I never thought it was a democracy. We always value and give serious consideration to constructive input from the Dgrin community but the forum administrators and mods do make the decisions. Having participated on numerous forums I have never seen any forum decision that was made via a vote. From what I have seen over my years of activity in online communities is that Dgrin is much more responsive to user input than any other forum I have participated in.

This is a very minor change that was done after a discussion about it. We had some signatures that covered over 15 lines. You had one line responses that were taking up over 20 lines because of the length of some signatures. Once the decision was made we announced it and this thread was established to get feedback and to respond to any questions.

So far the majority of the users responding have been positive about the change. If there had been an overwhelmingly negative response to this change I know that I would be open to reconsidering or amending it but that hasn't happened.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    I have had no interest in creating a signature for myself.
    (Thinks) great - this should be a brief post. But wait, there's more (and it seems like steak knives are out) ...
    But. . . the way this is being done grates! ... This comes across as an edict from on high with NO INPUT FROM USERS — that we are being told with no voice in if it is going to be done or not!
    What are you proposing, a binding worldwide referendum? SmugMug is not charitable society, it's a business in a highly competitive environment! The business owner has made a decision. But the good news, for you, is you have options!
    I get the impression that regardless of what anyone posts this is a FINAL decision that will not be changed!
    I'd bet money your 'impression' is spot on! The sun will come up (somewhere in the world) on 15 February and Dgrin, with or without you, will continue to be very popular and successful! It can't come soon enough for me.