>>> challenge 17 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    A couple more, if my computer allows.

6488625-L.jpg

6488626-L.jpg

I assume that the difference in tone, between these two pictures, is the setting I chose in levels. I liked one one way, the the other the other way, smile. Preferences and choices.

I compose mostly in the camera, I try to totally. I used to shoot slides, and "competed" with them a bit in the early seventies. Also there was some snobbery about blk and white photos being full frame back when I was involved with that, too. So I learned to compose in the camera. I rarely crop extensively. It is a real handicap when prints are involved: They don't come in those sizes, usually, and if they do, the frames don't.

Just some more info on where my prejudices lie on manipulation. Straightening a horizon is a real pain, but I will do it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I really like this one and your original wthout having a clear favorite. Critical for me is the inclusion of a human being. I think that adds tremendously. The second shot has more action and that is a plus while the first has a quieter light range. I think I would prefer the 2nd if the white-balance was set not to be quite so warm and the picture was 1/3-1/5 stop under-exposed. You can fix both of those in s/w or in a retake. I understand how you feel about shooting vs photoshopping because I have similar feelings, except my threshold is further ou the scale. I am happy to play with light and saturation and colour, but not cloning and such.
    Dugmar, I like the first one, the one with you, I assume it is you, reflected. Of all of them I like that one. Did not like your first showing this AM at all, could not see what the round thing was. I agree here that the human element makes the picture complete.

I do like it.clap.gif

ginger
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Dugmar, I like the first one, the one with you, I assume it is you, reflected. Of all of them I like that one. Did not like your first showing this AM at all, could not see what the round thing was. I agree here that the human element makes the picture complete.

I do like it.clap.gif

ginger
    Thanks,

Yes, that is me. I still didn't come up with what I was after. Someone mentioned the white balance, but the warm, orange-ish lighting is really what these machines give off, so I think I captured the mood of the gameroom as far as color goes.

I love shooting pinball machines. A slice of Americana and art that is unfortunately gone the way of the dinosaur. Having my own machines a nice luxury - to be able to take the glass off and remove the glare is huge when taking photos.

Doug
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    What do you mean by cloning? Not that I don't know exactly what the cloning tool is, and I know pretty much how to use it.

But there are degrees in everything.

I have "resorted" to cloning (an annoying extra step for me on an easy picture), but I have used it to get rid of a dust spost 1/4 or less the size of a smiley.

I don't see that on the "level" of "sins" as extensive use of play with light, saturation and colour. And composition. Etc.

Purists drive me nuts, because it is so inflexible. (And my best photographer friend is a purist which is kind of nice balance)

But everytime someone mentions the "sin" of cloning, I think of the little tiny dust spots, better to be removed, don't change the photo in general, or in looks really.

Do you include that type of thing with cloning? I have never used cloning extensively, I find it tedious, am constantly redoing it, but what is extensive cloning?

Why cloning?

g
    Cleaning up imager defects like dust spots or bad sensor pixels is ok. Changing the picture is not. But there are shades of grey for me so it is not a rigid thing, instead being more of a strong preferance.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    Thanks for the input.
    cmr164 wrote:
    Agreed on the above.

I might wish the tree was a little less fleshed out or that the saturation was toned down a little. I would like to see the image be a little more subtle with the repetitive but markedly individual tree pattern in each droplet being the riveting element.

Charles and everyone, (boy a lot has been going on here while I went out to dinner and slept.)

6471427-S.jpg

I completely agree with you about wanting the tree less fleshed out or less saturation. I feel the same. I started over from the original picture because I had just done a "quick and dirty" for the first post. Then when people actually liked it, I thought it deserved some careful consideration. I would like to see the tree stay soft and the drops be sharp. But, somehow it doesn't work. When I do the USM everything gets darker. I can't seem to do anything else without using masks.

I tried a vertical shot and that was in my first post, but everyone seemed to pick the horizontal. I like this composition best because the branch runs from the left corner and I feel like it pulls the eye in. (people usually look from left to right.) The large end of the branch is at the right third line and I think that is a stabilizer in the image. I don't like it flipped over, like a tree as it grows. This way it looks more like the reflection that it is or looking up at a branch in a tree. It is very "modern art", with no real focal point, a study in circles, if you will. But definitely not chaos. There is a large drop in the lower right (focal point spot), a happy accident, but I think it helps to keep the eye moving around the picture. It's not static and it has interest.

6438212-S.jpg

The escalator is similar in style in that there is no real focal point. It is definitely a study in lines. It probably would be a good subject for "lines and curves". The intersection point is on the right third line (a sort of focal point). This helps it to not be static. Your eye can follow the lines through the picture. You don't get bored. I don't see it as confusing at all. I see this shot as very precise and balanced. I actually see it as quite mellow. The colors are deep and soothing. I would not want to do this shot in black and white. I feel the colors are important to the composition. I did very little to the original shot. Just had to straighten it a bit so the vertical lines were exactly vertical and cropped a bit off the right side. I made sure the demensions were 16 x 20 so I could frame it. I plan to hang it on the wall in my husbands office. :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    Very nice, ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Is this stuff considered reflections? I have books that include stuff like this as reflections, Andy said something that made me think he considered it a reflection. Except for the silhouette I have in one of my photos, I don't think he likes those, except in a silhouette Challenge. I was on the beach, alone, well other people, but I was with my dogs. Of course I took my camera. I have dog pictures, scenics and some that I would think might be reflections. On whatever level, you all can comment. (The sand was a b to deal with) g

6488624-S.jpg

ginger

Ginger,
    Yes these are definitely reflections off the water. But, I do think Andy would say that it probably would be better as an entry for silhouettes. He's said it before. It's still a great shot. :D
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    This one is great!
    dugmar wrote:
    It's pouring out, so I am determined to get something worthy of this challenge out of one of my pinball machines today. Here are a couple more, this time using a longer lens. Please send comments my way... Thanks.

-Doug

6486432-S.jpg

Doug,
    This one just jumped out at me. The colors are fantastic. And, the reflection of a person in the ball is a definite +++. I feel that my pictures don't get much recognition because they don't have people in them most of the time. The ball is in the right spot for composition and the whole subjest is very imaginative. Yes, I definitely like this one. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    Cool composition...
    Ginger, this is kind of cool,

6488626-S.jpg

I love the way the sky and water run together in the same soft color. I like the tall vertical. Unusual for a landscape. I kind of find myself looking for some kind of object in the beach area on the bottom. Like a bird or boat or something. Of course if it's not there it's not there. That's the problem a photographer has as opposed to the artist. :D
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger, this is kind of cool,

6488626-S.jpg

I love the way the sky and water run together in the same soft color. I like the tall vertical. Unusual for a landscape. I kind of find myself looking for some kind of object in the beach area on the bottom. Like a bird or boat or something. Of course if it's not there it's not there. That's the problem a photographer has as opposed to the artist. :D
    That looks more contrasty at the bottom than I remember it, I will have to go back and look. Did you see the one with the dog, no bird, but lots of dogs. I actually thought that the vertical with the dog was a fantastic shot, if I say so myself. I took about 6 shots of that dog coming out of the water, I only went vertical on that one, and I think it is just right.

i wasn't looking for a bird, there weren't any, some seagulls in the sky. But the way I do it is to shoot what I see, I handhold my camera, sit down for a while, on the beach, or where ever, let the place soak in, take a few shots.
    Then take some more. At some point I thought I could let the dogs run, so I walked just a bit. I had all three of my working lenses on the camera at some point, was happiest with the 28-135 IS. But that photo, I called it tranquility, and the one with the dog, were probably shot with the 75-300, how far extended, that can vary by the second, am always changing the zoom.

So I shoot what is available to me, I am always watching. I did want a good shot of the dog who turned one yesterday, so I was watching for that. I was about an hour late for the really moody sunrise.

My skills, if I have any, is one, I see well, and compose well, I think. The other thing is that I often choose well, leave something on my camera someone else might not.

I do not have your imagination. I could never have done that mirror shot, could have done the escalator, but really, I never, hardly ever, plan. Well, sometimes I go to get one thing, and I have learned that I usually get something else and to go with the flow, so that is the kind of shooter I am.

When I got home was the first time I could get a good look at my pictures. I didn't take that one with "no bird" off, and when I saw the thumbnails, it had a peaceful feeling to me, kind of like your escalatorsrolleyes1.gif , I guess. I had to put a laugher in there, because the shots are so different, but you feel peace with the escalator. And I think it will look wonderful in your husband's office.

I would like the "no bird" picture very simply matted in white with whatever is the most simple frame these days, it used to be black with large white mats.
    And I would like it to be in a gallery or something. I can't see it in my house.
    A beach house maybe.

The dog picture is more commercial, but also limited to those who like dogs.

Anyway, just got started talking to tell you how I shoot, I will upload a picture of what I call my camp, a small one. And that was all I took, my backpack bag of lenses, my billfold and the leashes for the dogs, no tripod or anything.

I am thinking of skipping lines and curves, as I have never used the sunpak flash for my camera. The flash on the Rebel is too small for doing the baby shower for my kids. I have no clue on how to use it, and I guess I only have two weeks to learn. So instead of lines and curves, I might be doing that.

It will drive me nuts, I will be on here all the time........ I don't know what I am going to do, as I need to spend time on that, then my husband is having radiation things put in the week after Aug 7th, when we get back from Charlotte and the shower. Don't see how I can do lines and curves. I wonder, do you think I could do it with the Sunpak???? I hate flash. Hate useless photos even more.

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    Hi all, I'm back from another trip to Maine and am now somewhat mobile, new cast and crutches and I'm desperate to get some shots up for the challenge.. I've missed so many. Looks like everyone has been so busy whilst I've been away.. good work all.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    just a tinsy bit of blur and I kicked up the saturation a tad..thats it
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    whoops!! read the rules again and went back and removed the blur.. only cropped, sharpened, saturated a tad and curved a tad.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    not doing anything with Photoshop is killing me.... it's killing me I tell you...

this is just cropped sharpened and curved... agghhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    not doing anything with Photoshop is killing me.... it's killing me I tell you...

Gotta break that addiction.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    6500493-L.jpg

Cropped, contrast, saturation.... and clone tool. So I won't be submitting it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    I tried changing the levels on the tree...
    I tried making the tree a little less contrasty. I made it very, very light before applying the USM. This kept the branches lighter. Now I feel like it needs more color. I've always liked more contrast in my pictures. Sometimes I even adjust the camera for more contrast and more sharpness. That's just me. mwink.gif
    Comments appreciated.

6502555-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    Only one day left...
    lynnma wrote:

Hi Lynn,
    It's good to have you back. We missed you. Well, I did anyway. You must have had a really nasty break in that leg. It has taken so long to get you up and around. Glad to hear you're mobile now.

All of the pictures are great. I like the mist and the mood in the first one. I actually like the airplane one sharp and not blurred. The reflections are more distinct. I think I like the last one because of the people. Shots with people are always more interesting, I guess. It seems they appeal to the judges. At least you won't have to agonize over the choice for very long. There's only one day left. I think my brain is tired. I'll have to look at these again later.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    Snappy, I redid the dog vertical for you in the same way, in levels, allowed all you purists, the color was phenomenal this AM, all in the air, did not need to be manufactured, but different parts of the color could be brought out and emphasized, I usually did the warmer colors. In the one, "no bird", I used cooler colors, in levels, Snappy, do you like it better now.

I am only putting up here, so far, photos with reflections. I am not planning on entering them, but I would still like thoughts and critiques.

Here is the dog, vertical, at the same time as the serenity photo, might put it up again.

6503939-L.jpg

Here is the photo, now named, "No Bird"
    See how similar they are, but one has a dog.

6503937-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    Another crop on the escalators...
    One last change here. I remember one of my art teachers saying it's good to have your design run off the page. And, I wanted to move that orange line up a little bit. So I cropped the top. I think I like this better.

6503890-L.jpg

So now I have a final version of each. The last day is coming up. I have to chose.
    Comments appreciated. :D
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    That dog from a different perspective. Pretty neat, huh? Or not? ginger
    Oh, we gotta get this toy thing!

6503932-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    Great ginger...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Snappy, I redid the dog vertical for you in the same way, in levels, allowed all you purists, the color was phenomenal this AM, all in the air, did not need to be manufactured, but different parts of the color could be brought out and emphasized, I usually did the warmer colors. In the one, "no bird", I used cooler colors, in levels, Snappy, do you like it better now.

I am only putting up here, so far, photos with reflections. I am not planning on entering them, but I would still like thoughts and critiques.

Here is the dog, vertical, at the same time as the serenity photo, might put it up again.

6503939-S.jpg

Here is the photo, now named, "No Bird"
    See how similar they are, but one has a dog.

6503937-S.jpg

Photography by ginger

You're right ginger, they are the same. I do like the dog, now that you pointed it out. I guess I liked the serenity of the "no bird" shot. The dog changes that. I noticed a speck in the sky of the first picture. It may be a bird or just a speck. I don't think it adds anything though, too small. There is also a spot on the lens just off to the right. It's in both pictures. You could clone it out. I love the colors in both pictures.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    This is a fun picture...
    ginger_55 wrote:

6503932-S.jpg

It even has a reflection. Not as good as your entry, but it's a cool shot. I love dogs.
    :D
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    Snappy, I put a couple more up, too. Do you like the dog picture better when it is in the same color family as the "no bird" picture? Also another dog picture, still not my dog, and reflected, not a silhouette.

Now on yours, could you put them both up together, on the same page, at least a medium, but probably a large, go ahead and use the space. You have your pictures memorized, I don't.rolleyes1.gif

I like the idea of running out to the left, I don't think I have heard that one before, that part looks good to me, if it is where I think it is.

ginger

(I really followed all the rules in the pictures I am putting up, Levels, guys, Levels, and not even different color adjustments, the whole page. You can duplicate the results.)bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    Good gosh, you are right about the specks, hope they are temporary. I cloned one out already from both of those shots, so there are two. There is a whisp of cloud at the top of one. Purist that I am (not, but lazy), rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I did not want to clone that out, the little cloud.

The dog is a different color now, if you have free time you could go back and look, on options on ps 7, you can choose between 3 adjustments. I usually choose the top one, in "no bird" and in the most recent similar "dog" one, I chose the middle option. Funny the sand was not affected.

ginger

I was exhausted, and I did a bunch of dog shots, my dogs, a whole bunch. My computer was aweful, had to reboot and lost photo workups constantly, I ran a spyware thing, then set it on defrag, layed down and was dead to the world.

That was sure fun this AM. Tomorrow is the only day my husband has off. I keep wishing we could go again, but probably won't. He is tired, too.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

\
    Ginger Hi, I really like this dog reflection shot.. has a lot of movement and story...
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I tried making the tree a little less contrasty. I made it very, very light before applying the USM. This kept the branches lighter. Now I feel like it needs more color. I've always liked more contrast in my pictures. Sometimes I even adjust the camera for more contrast and more sharpness. That's just me. mwink.gif
    Comments appreciated.
    I like this one snap but it's almost too sophisticated.. what am I saying? how would I know? I love the escalator shot for reflections. This one would look right in a gallery...great shot..
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    On water shots, are these QOL, or Reflections, or both? Are they reflecting the light, of course, everything is, but which category are they in. In my case it is a non issue, but I do want to show my photos, and I would like to know which they are. I like the part of the wave on the right, reflecting light??

6503940-L.jpg

I swear to gosh, the "negative" is this color. Almost.

6503933-L.jpg

Uh, I think there are people out there, I see those things in too many pictures. There must have been a sand bar further down the beach. Had to edit it to point that out, my camera defect is not that bad. Funny I didn't notice while I was there.

g
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Comments appreciated.
    The tree works and i realised finally what it is about it. The drops with the sharp miniature images add a 3D'ness to the image. Different size drops hang in space at different points.

The most recent escalator shot is also cleaned up nicely. I really like it now. I do prefer the tree but either could be submitted.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    Both pictures together....
    Escalators -

6503890-L.jpg

Tree Drops -

6503891-L.jpg

OK ginger,
    what do you think? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Escalators 6503890-S.jpg

OK ginger,
    what do you think? headscratch.gif

I think I would go with the escalators, as I am getting kind of tired of the tree and water, but that doesn't really mean anything.

You are actually going to use this one, and I think it is a better one for the long haul, the tree one really got me when I first saw it, but I can't see it hanging in any office rolleyes1.gif

And the escalators are growing on me. But I am not guaranteeing anything. The entries are getting better, don't you think.

I am just having fun now, nothing I can do that is any better than I have done. I have to dump the frame, and mine is ready to go. So be it.

I like just about everything I have done, it was a good Challenge for me.

And I like both of yours, but the tree is not as lasting, and it would just depend on the judges. And that is all I can say, I could be calling it wrong, I could be calling my own wrong. ne_nau.gif

ginger