Options

>>> challenge 17 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger,
    I have to agree with you on this. It is difficult with Andy gone. I think I remember him saying it's OK to use cloning to clean up a picture. But anything more, like changing the content of the picture, is too much. He said, darkroom stuff is ok. Cleaning a negative is darkroom stuff. Dodging and burning is darkroom stuff. It is not adding or taking away content. I think he actually said this, but I can't say where. So, again it is my interpretation. Personally, I liked your rainbow as first posted. Burning was not necessary anyway. IMHO
    :D

It is the principal of the thing on the rainbow photo, not whether or not it looks better, that is subjective. The other thing is about "rules".

Anyway, he is not going to say anything.

But, I read somewhere, Pathfinder, I think, recently, said that we could not use photoshop to make a reflection. I had no clue I could do that, I don't mean in the rule book, I mean I would not know how to make a decent reflection using ps.

I am beginning to think that with an anything goes Challenge, I would not have to leave the computer, somehow could magically make my photos as the assignment calls for?

Maybe I am naive. Or ignorant.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Ohlala! You did it again Sid; amaze me with your entry on the morning the challenge closes! WOW! clap.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Sid, I love this shot, I'm so impressed by the way you seem to be able to get a remarkable shot out of an unremarkable situation....(this applies to water girl too) thumb.gif

That sounds a bit strange, I hope you know what I mean
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Played with the curves and stuff to try for a more natural color. Don't know if you like it.... but it is a suggestion.
    Thanks, but no. I really don't. The color of the photo, although soft, is what color the machines give off. Your adjustments give it a yellow look.

Doug
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    Please look at this, tell me what you think, it is the original.
    What do you all think of this. It has had no work done to it whatsoever. I had worked it up with levels, and I had straightened the horizon, but this is the original, as posed/grabbed in the camera. That is the point of the assignment as I understand it.

I feel like all of my work, including the rainbow picture, could come in, but I am sad about everything.................. That is about it, I am just sad. So instead of asking, begging or whatever, I decided to enter this picture. Is it "not good"?
    I love it so much myself, and they are my dogs this time, I am not an impartial observer. I love the grey, hazy, solf look, with the green moss reminding me of the origin of these little wonderful dogs. The horizon doesn't bother me that much as it is not a strong horizon. I have it worked up, it is a bit different, more pop, legal as all get out, but this is "pure". Being the point of the assignment, with no questions.

It does not "pop", it kind of settles into me with its softness.

And it came out of the camera like this, no work done.

What do you all think?

I call it Tidal Reflections

6538583-L.jpg

Tidal Reflections Photography by ginger

It is on the Challenge page.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Ginger, I liks this one, but I much prefer any one of the 3 you were previously considering ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Thanks, but no. I really don't. The color of the photo, although soft, is what color the machines give off. Your adjustments give it a yellow look.

Doug
    Strangely enough I was not trying for the correct color, just trying to show that it was possible to have the blues actually show and have the reflection cleared. You have made it very clear that you don't want to play after shooting and I respect that a lot. But my earlier suggestion which someone else also made more recently is the bring those colors in with White Balance. Maybe setting the camera to tungsten. Look at the shirt in the reflection and you will see what I mean. But hey it is a great picture and doesn't 'need' these adjustments, I am just trying to suggest how you can make it correspond more to what the eye/brain might see.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    I love your reflection shot sid.. I knew you'd come up with something great. Bet you're happy. I'ts one of those shots you gaze at for a long time.

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    Ginger I think the shot of Mary and Skye on the beach (the last one you did) is lovely. I also love the dog walking with the woman and tennis ball. I think if I were to choose I'd go with the tennis ball shot but it's a tough call.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Ginger I think the shot of Mary and Skye on the beach (the last one you did) is lovely. I also love the dog walking with the woman and tennis ball. I think if I were to choose I'd go with the tennis ball shot but it's a tough call.

I had the woman walking with the dog up on the challenge for a bit, my husband agrees with you.

This one, Merry Chapel and Skye on the beach, changes the least in the final product as far as looks is concerned. The woman with the dog loses the pop, a bit.

I was trying to go with the original photos. I could use the original of the Reflections shot, too. It has not had much work, I forgot to upload it last night, so have not really seen it with the others.

Since I am going to go down, ............. well I have very torn feelings. I PMd Andy, just now, about the rainbow picture.

That is the issue of the burn tool at the bottom. I never did clone except to remove dust spots, so I was using that as an example since I was not involved. I don't really know what extensive cloning is. Whatever it is, I did not do it.

Oh, there is a bit of my knee, out of focus, in the woman walking on the beach, I guess I cloned that out, but I never considered it much of anything.
    Last night, putting up the original, with the blur at the bottom, might have been my knee, Bill said it was fine with the blur.

I am so conflicted. My best shots ever, couldn't choose between them, and now I am really just wiped, feel I should make an intelligent decision, but don't know what it is.

I had promised myself, and everyone else, that I wanted a ruling on the burning I did, so I did PM Andy. I don't know if he will get it, just sent it.

ginger

Thanks for the input everyone.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    What do you all think of this. It has had no work done to it whatsoever. I had worked it up with levels, and I had straightened the horizon, but this is the original, as posed/grabbed in the camera. That is the point of the assignment as I understand it.

I feel like all of my work, including the rainbow picture, could come in, but I am sad about everything.................. That is about it, I am just sad. So instead of asking, begging or whatever, I decided to enter this picture. Is it "not good"?
    Ginger, I don't understand. I thought your couple reflected or bird or rainbow were a real contenders without photoshop mods.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Ginger, I don't understand. I thought your couple reflected or bird or rainbow were a real contenders without photoshop mods.
    Charles, what do you consider a photoshop mod?

All of them had levels, saturation and USM.
    I consider saturation and levels photoshop mods.

I do not consider burning a photoshop mod and others seem to.

I just looked at the original reflected couple, without the levels and/or the saturation, it looks very different to me, the light it there, but it is not very apparent.

I am quite confused as to what photoshop mods are. Maybe it is because I am an old lady who used to use the darkroom for black and whites, I had no access to anything like levels or curves, I could up the contrast, but taking my hand to burn a bit, or dodge a bit, that was normal darkroom stuff to me.

The other stuff, like levels and curves, they are like magic. I loved the darkroom, but I did not like darkroom manipulation, so I was kind of minimal in there.

I put up a picture of the original rainbow back when this first came up and Sid asked me to walk him through it. So there was an obvious comparison of before and after. To me that is photoshopping. Although I did think I followed the rules, as I understood them.

ginger

(I do know that a picture, as it comes out of the camera has no photoshopping. That is one thing I think we could all agree on.)
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    Charles, anyone........

The original rainbow, as it came out of the camera is post # 226. The one where I burned the weeds is post # 217. The post where I walked through the process for Sid is post # 242. The one I had entered, where the weeds were not burned is visible in a small form in a post from Snappy right in that area.

I know I could not have made a big deal out of this, but it was a big deal to me, it still is.

I want to see what Andy does think about the burning, an age old darkroom technique, but after that I don't know.

ginger

Post #242 has no picture, but it is interesting as to what I considered "legal" and thought was considered not modified, though I thought it was quite a bit modified by my lifelong experience. My thought processes are all in that post.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Thanks SeaMoon, Gubbs, Lynn, I really appreciate your kind words. It's all Lynn's fault, she prodded me to hit the streets again... got that one close to 7:30 last night whilst wandering downtown. This challenge has been quite a stretch, very difficult. It seems as though we have fewer entries than we have had in the past; if so, maybe others also found this one to be pushing them pretty hard?

Ginger, cease-and-desist your hand wringing! And put back that lovely shot of the couple reflected in the golden water that you had before - it's a wonderful image!

Gubbs, I very much like how your reflection and your reflecting image share the same theme - I think that adds a lot to the shot, and is important to giving depth to the message. It's something I kept trying to pull off, unsuccessfully. I like the colors, too.

SeaMoon, you know you're a contenda this week, right? A wonderful shot. After your Malaysia experiments, turns out all you had to do was travel halfway around the world and wait for one of the world's biggest ships to port! Actually, were it not for this challenge, would you have thought to make that shot? I think that's the benefit of these challenges - they open our eyes to other possibilities. For example, I shoot a lot more 'motion' shots now than I ever did before.

Lynn, you caught a lovely mist - what were you doing up so early in the morning? Tho not as early as Stan - 4am, yikes! Nice job getting something well worthy of submission, in so little time. I can't wait for you to go walkabout again. And thanks for the prod to try again.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    OK, I sold out!

I still want a ruling on the rainbow "burn".
    g
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    SeaMoon, you know you're a contenda this week, right? A wonderful shot. After your Malaysia experiments, turns out all you had to do was travel halfway around the world and wait for one of the world's biggest ships to port! Actually, were it not for this challenge, would you have thought to make that shot? I think that's the benefit of these challenges - they open our eyes to other possibilities. For example, I shoot a lot more 'motion' shots now than I ever did before.

I don't know anything..that's up to Andy! :D I agree that these challenges make you more focussed on certain subjects. I too take a lot of more motion pics since that challenge. I've always liked those reflections though..these i made in NYC last winter;

2364711-M.jpg

2385533-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    OK, I sold out!

I still want a ruling on the rainbow "burn".
    g

Yes! You've entered my absolute favorite! clap.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Home stretch - Final hour...
    Well, here we are; the final hour. Is this your final entry everyone? Whew! I'm tired. All the hand wringing and anxiety is exhausting.

Thanks friends, for all your help.

Ginger, you did it. You took off the frame. Good choice on the picture. I looked at all of them. Not a frame or border in sight. What a "pure" challenge we have this time. No photoshop, no borders.

Stan, what a great shot! Sure beats the garage footings for subject matter. I'll bet you're glad you kept looking.

Sid, how do you do it? Sit on the sidelines until the last minute and then come up with a great shot. Nice! Very nice.

I count 19 entries this time. Do we have a couple more members on the sidelines? Only about 45 minutes left.

Good luck everyone! And a big hand to us all. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    These are great!
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I don't know anything..that's up to Andy! :D I agree that these challenges make you more focussed on certain subjects. I too take a lot of more motion pics since that challenge. I've always liked those reflections though..these i made in NYC last winter;

2364711-S.jpg

2385533-S.jpg

Simone,
    These are wonderful. Not only reflections, but optical illusions. Weird how that second shot looks wider at the top.

Snappy
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Strangely enough I was not trying for the correct color, just trying to show that it was possible to have the blues actually show and have the reflection cleared. You have made it very clear that you don't want to play after shooting and I respect that a lot. But my earlier suggestion which someone else also made more recently is the bring those colors in with White Balance. Maybe setting the camera to tungsten. Look at the shirt in the reflection and you will see what I mean. But hey it is a great picture and doesn't 'need' these adjustments, I am just trying to suggest how you can make it correspond more to what the eye/brain might see.

Thanks Charles, I appreciate that. I will try that with my camera today after work for sure.

Doug
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks SeaMoon, Gubbs, Lynn, I really appreciate your kind words. It's all Lynn's fault, she prodded me to hit the streets again... got that one close to 7:30 last night whilst wandering downtown. This challenge has been quite a stretch, very difficult. It seems as though we have fewer entries than we have had in the past; if so, maybe others also found this one to be pushing them pretty hard?

Ginger, cease-and-desist your hand wringing! And put back that lovely shot of the couple reflected in the golden water that you had before - it's a wonderful image!

Gubbs, I very much like how your reflection and your reflecting image share the same theme - I think that adds a lot to the shot, and is important to giving depth to the message. It's something I kept trying to pull off, unsuccessfully. I like the colors, too.

Lynn, you caught a lovely mist - what were you doing up so early in the morning? Tho not as early as Stan - 4am, yikes! Nice job getting something well worthy of submission, in so little time. I can't wait for you to go walkabout again. And thanks for the prod to try again.
    Thanks Sid... I took that shot very early in the am from the balcony of our little motel at Moosehead Lake.. I got up specially to catch the mist. I don't feel it's a contender with all the lovely shots. And yes I think this challenge has been a stretch for us all. I'm glad my prod worked.. you street urchin you. Heres clapping for all of us...clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    dodging and burning
    i haven't read any of the msgs but i understand there's a question about dodging/burning.

the intent of "no photoshop" challenge was to get back to the basics of photography, without all the fancy filters and tricks we have in the digital darkroom. to do it the old way, the way we used to deal with in the wet darkroom.

exposure management was routine. this includes dodging and burning. use of the burn / dodge tools in ps is very much allowed for this challenge and i'm sorry that there's confusion on this.

i've asked that ginger put her original entry back in.

next time we do this, i guess we'll have to be extremely specific. but, let's remember, this is fun, and challenging, for personal growth.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    6438365-S.jpg
    I think I have to vote for this one. I like it better than my own submission. This is really great. I think I will try my own version of this myself someday. Awesome shot!

Doug
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Wow, super shots y'all!
    Hey All...

I've really been out of the loop for about the last month... Jumping on for a quick look-see whenever I can, and very little time for even a note... But WOW, some of these photos are really beautiful! Again, this is really going to be a tough decision!
    Been travelling out in western VA and have been photographing as I can... Some really beautiful sights to behold... If only I had time to stop for longer than a few minutes... Should calm down as life changes with the seasons, and I hope to be back in the daily running soon.

• Snappy, I love the reflections within the reflections...
    • Simone, Cool Port of Call shot! Really like the interest in the scene, the fact that you caught a photographer catching what may well be the less interesting shot, even if more traditional... Really nice.
    • Ginger, there is something I really love about "Tidal Reflections," Something in the quizical expression of the pup looking over her shoulder at you and its monochomatic-ness-- the fact that the only real color is that of the pups and the moss. It's great!
    • I've really enjoyed all of Doug's Pinball shots... The way you shot a few of them makes the ball itself appear as glass! Nice.
    • Sid, I love the football players reflection in the window... And I love that it is in B&W. The car with it's lights on, the city scape in the background, all add to the composition.
    • Erik, I enjoyed your bumper shot, right from the get-go! You're kindof a short guy, eh?
    I chose this one out of several that I shot at the Jefferson Pools, Bath County, Bath, VA this weekend. Also was my entry this go round...
    ginette
    6563466-L.jpg

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    Hi Ginette, nice to 'see' you again! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Thanks Simone
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Hi Ginette, nice to 'see' you again! thumb.gif
    DiTTo!
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    Look, Look, I just saw a rainbow!
    Ginger, I just saw your rainbow back up on the challenge thread. I'm so happy for you. I'm so thrilled. Please be happy. It's a gorgeous picture, and a capture of a beautiful and meaningful moment. clap.gifclap.gif :encore clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    I am a Rainbow Whisperer again. Took a very long nap, woke up expecting to see the finalists. Instead a PM from Andy telling me to put my Rainbow picture back, that burning and dodging were basic tools.

The benevolent speaker, spoke. No more angst re which photo. I put the rainbow back post haste, as directed.

And no time to remove the frame, or think about the frame. I just did it!
    I noticed his PM was an hour ago, I was hoping I was not too late. For those who liked the Colonial Lake shot, I did too.

The Rainbow was my baby, though. I had truly, not only whispered it, but shouted it down from the skies, to land almost at my feet as a magnificent reflection.

This being the first place I ever felt "safe" in my new "temporary" home, Charleston. For the Natice Americans there are places sacred to them, the marsh off of the Causeway to Sullivan's Island is my spiritual, on earth, home.
    It has changed since I moved here, it will change more, but that night I stared into the marsh as I had ever known it, and I shouted to my god and my rainbow to come to me, "mama", then I whispered.........

That is the story of that photograph and why it is back.

Thank you, Andy, And all who stood by me.

I genuinely as an art critc liked three, and mybe more, pictures the same, trading favorites daily, but that photograph, it represents my safety, my refuge, and now it is my gift.

I am sharing that gift. (Sorry to some of you about the frame, couldn't wait and angst: "get it back on there" were the words I heard!) And Whisper A Rainbow, it tells the story, to me, anyway)

ginger

It wasn't easy, but I whispered me a Rainbow, twice. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Charles, what do you consider a photoshop mod?

All of them had levels, saturation and USM.
    I consider saturation and levels photoshop mods.

I do not consider burning a photoshop mod and others seem to.
    Andy was pretty clear about it in his 2 posts. My summation of those would be that changes to color and light that are applied to an entire image like levels and color correction are ok but changes to selective parts of the image are not. I guess the changes that are allowed could have been done with ND filters or 80b filters or some other filter while the things that are not allowed are things that can only be done in a darkroom. But please read what Andy wrote and/or PM him like he suggests. I really don't like the idea that I am upsetting you. I like you and would prefer not to upset you. smilehelp.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Some reflections are crisp and sharp .....

6531124-S.jpg

6512305-S.jpg

Pathfinder, these are great, I can't believe I missed them.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au