>>> challenge 17 - comments and critiques thread <<

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    no worries, i'm sure
    cmr164 wrote:
    Andy was pretty clear about it in his 2 posts. My summation of those would be that changes to color and light that are applied to an entire image like levels and color correction are ok but changes to selective parts of the image are not. I guess the changes that are allowed could have been done with ND filters or 80b filters or some other filter while the things that are not allowed are things that can only be done in a darkroom. But please read what Andy wrote and/or PM him like he suggests. I really don't like the idea that I am upsetting you. I like you and would prefer not to upset you. smilehelp.gif

at what point does "basic" become advanced? we could argue for weeks on this (i don't want to) ... the bottom line is that ginger (and everyone, i hope) learned and grew over the past challenge. the winning isn't the point, though that's nice, to be the winner, for sure.... but let's all win, eh? this thread is good testimony to that, the entire group helping each other out.

next time we do a "no photoshop" challenge, i'll certainly be crystal clear in da rulez ....

thanks all
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    How do the judges pick the number of finalists?
    I noticed that there are only 8 finalists this time. A couple of my favorites did not make the cut. I am always baffled by the judges choices. But, I forgot how Andy explained the process. Each judge choses 5. If they both pick the same 5 then there are only 5 finalists, is that right so far? If they both pick completely different ones, we have 10 finalists? How do we end up with 8? Andy, could you explain how the finalists were selected?
    headscratch.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think this setting has real potential - Can you reshoot this area again with a higher ISO if necessary? Was the ship blurry because of movement during a long exposure or was it out of focus? I think there a areally great image here that has just not been captured yet. Waht camera/lens was this shot with also?
    I am not really sure, I didnt have my tripod cause I was in a hurry ( I almost missed the boat leaving, and had I gone around to the other side I would of been caught by the bridge traffic). I have a digital Rebel and this shot was with the kit lens that comes with it. I only have had the camera since January ( and I am new to SLR photography) it was only during this roadtrip I started messing with the settings.

I wish I could reshoot it, the photo was taken in Duluth MN, and as much as I wanted to stay, I had to go home. I have some other photos from that trip (boats a nigt were hard :()

6388834-M.jpg
    6387493-M.jpg
    6391926-M.jpg

6395028-M.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 30, 2004
    who wants to stay in Duluth??? :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    who wants to stay in Duluth??? :D
    I do!!!!!! thumb.gif
    I made pretty pictures there.
    Which is funny, cause I was only doing sports when I initially got my camera, but after hockey season I was lost!!!!

3880516-M-1.jpg
    All thought softball was a good filler for a while.

But I want more shots like these:
    3403583-M-1.jpg
    3120080-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    This challenge is now a distant memory, but I came upon another of Fred Miranda's shots that I just had to share. This guy can sure capture a reflection!

21ds_15_1_.jpg
    If not now, when?