Options

>>> challenge 17 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    Is this one fountain? or I cant remeber the name of it, but its in the group with the small paint pots and silex spring? I think it is part of the fountain group (there is another good sized one further in the back ground right?)

6384629-S.jpg
    And is this one in the excelsior group (its the only group I can think is big enough, either that or west thumb? But I dont remeber a board walk going over the lake)
    6384609-S.jpg

I used to be a tour guide in the park, so I just wanted to test my memory. Now that I started taking pretty pictures I want to go back.

edit: I just read the other thread. Wow I didnt even recognize the midway basin!!!!
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    6394306-M.jpg
    My boat is a bit blurry :(
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    Nice ...
    gubbs wrote:
    I'm not going to enter this but wondered what you thought

6315674-S.jpg

Gubbs,
    I like this image. It reminds me of the problem I have finding reflections. Out here in the brush country where I live everything is so dusty and dirty that there are no reflections. You have to have shine to have reflections. Even my windows are dirty. There are no puddles. It's been around 100 degrees every day with no rain. Your shot has an interesting mood and feel to it. There is a reflection, but it is not the feature of the shot. Andy said we could interpret the word "reflection" any way we wanted to. I know you said you are not entering this shot, but it could fit the challenge. It could be a reflection (mental) on another time. It evokes thoughts about the green house in it's prime. How different it once looked. I think good photos evoke thoughts and feelings. This does. The colors say "old" to me. The composition is soothing and harmonious not sharp and angular, that also evokes a mood. Very fine.
    :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    Sorry, got a few more,I had a busy weekend and only just catching up

6431542-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    Too confusing ??
    6431620-L.jpg

6431606-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Gubbs,
    I like this image. It reminds me of the problem I have finding reflections. Out here in the brush country where I live everything is so dusty and dirty that there are no reflections. You have to have shine to have reflections. Even my windows are dirty. There are no puddles. It's been around 100 degrees every day with no rain. Your shot has an interesting mood and feel to it. There is a reflection, but it is not the feature of the shot. Andy said we could interpret the word "reflection" any way we wanted to. I know you said you are not entering this shot, but it could fit the challenge. It could be a reflection (mental) on another time. It evokes thoughts about the green house in it's prime. How different it once looked. I think good photos evoke thoughts and feelings. This does. The colors say "old" to me. The composition is soothing and harmonious not sharp and angular, that also evokes a mood. Very fine.
    Thanks snappy, I didn't think anyone else other than me would like this.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Jim, I love your bridges and this is an especially good one. Looks like it might have been a good candidate for the LAB curves + L USM treatment. Did you do that? Whatever you did, it's very very nice.

Like Ginger, I'm not 100% clear about what you mean by kerploosh.

My only criticism of this shot is (you guessed it) the frame. I'd lose it if I were you. The shot is beautiful, why waste pixels on something so mundane? I've given this advice to Ginger, and she suffered and eventually decided I was wrong. I'm sure you will do the same (but with less suffereing.) Still, I think elaborate frames are a crutch for weak compositions; in this case no such crutch is necessary.
    Thank you for you kind words. The kerploosh is the water ripple in the lower left in front of the bridge. This was created by throwing arock into the water after I tripped the timer. Is that allowed? - Galen Rowell would not like it probably - too artificial - but cmr164 said the shot was too calm without something to create movement, and I agreed with him Too many horizontal lines and dark moody colors.
    The dark moody colors are why I included the grey scale - I think to have a contest where the contestants are looking at different pictures because of the way different monitors display grey scales is kind of strange. My bridge picture looks terrible at work because the monitor does not have a compete graduated grey scale - I can only see half the levels in the grey scale I displayed. I think this is a subject that should be discussed more.

I interpreted Andy's no PS to mean no reflections created using PS. My bridge shot did use LAB sharpening and dodging and burning. I am an old darkroom guy, so I thought these would be allowed.. What is the difference between shooting RAW and shooting in camera jpgs that are enhanced in camera with sharpening and increased contrast. My rant....Laughing.gif

As for frames - I agree with your feelings about prints which will be displayed in a mat and a frame. I felt that this image is dark enough to need a white border to det it off especially since the background in dgrin is a black background. If the background were white or neutral grey I might agree with you.lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Gubbs,

Snappy, I love everything you said about Gubb's photo. I lost my PC connection as I was e-mailing him about the one reflecting his wife, don't think the post made it. If it did, you all can skip that part of this post.

One, Charles, to whom I was never going to speak again. I did like what you said about my reflection, since that was my first choice. They are probably going to all end up on the Challenge page, until Mon or my computer breaks, one or the other. I like it, because, and this could be used against me. I see it this way, the bird is primarily a bird shot, the rainbow is primarily a rainbow or marsh shot, but the reflection is really nothing but a reflection, and the best one I have ever done, or will probably do again. Almost didn't think to include the couple. I tend to think things like that, the pieces de resistant are in my way, and I miss some. I nailed that one.

Next I will definitely go after an Andy reflection. Hehe, just have to say this, and this is not intended to be political, but they say some of these politicians flip flop. Wish they had a smiley doing cartwheels, as if I am true to myself the reflection picture will go up. I will check, but I don't think I did much to that, by then I had a system all worked out which I have mentioned. Not that I used all of it, but it went levels to saturation, check out contrast which was usually taken care of in the first two, and I was forgetting to sharpen, which amazingly is also often taken care of in the first twol (Sorry, Rutt, I have only read the intro to the pro PS book).

I hope I don't die first, hysterical laughter here.

Now Gubbs, your wife and the green house. I love it, but I had to really look to see your wife. I mean I never have been able to detect her in the littler images copied off of yours. I think yours is small, too. But it is closer to the original. I would keep working with your wife and the green house. I really love the idea. Must be another Challenge you could enter it in........so I would save the idea, definitely.

The only problem being, is, as has been mentioned, it may not be the best picture for a contest. I see it as a photographers photo (and I KNOW we are photographers, but....we can be swayed by the WOW and this is not a wow photo). But I would keep working with it, of course you would need your wife's cooporation. I would not mess with it to make her lighter. I would get it a little closer to where you want it, actually, on the negative, so to speak, and I think your final results will be better.

Now, here is the funny part, I think, if it were mine, I would burn the grass in a bit. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Now this is even funnier. Notice the rule of thirds in the smileys.

What else, thank you so much for the advice Lynne, and I do like your horse photo, but it kind of makes me shudder........ and I don't know what to say, other than that. I love the idea, I love the horse, I love the eye, wish it were bigger in proportion to the horse? I don't know. (Oh, and kind of burn in, no, forget that..........the part that bothers me is the corner of the eye)
    Might not bother a single other person.

I said some more stuff, before, but don't remember what.
    You all will be glad to know that I don't actually have a virus. In the PC

Rutt, I love your photo as posted! I particularly like how the really light part of the sky does not look blown, but directly leads my eye down to "earth" and is reflected there.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Too confusing ??
    Yup, IMO.

g

Oh, forget how far apart these appear. This is Gubb's confusing post.
    Laughing.gif, here we go from country side and serenity to confusion and bustle.

The problem with reflections, just IMO, is I like to see some sort of focus point.

ginger again
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    I'm confused! Can anybody please help me out here and give me some feedback on these? Dankie!

This is one of the 4 mills in our neighborhood.

6433605-M.jpg

This was made yesterday of the Queen Mary;

6399649-M.jpg

And this is a reflection in a puddle of a policestation in KL;

6223430-M.jpg

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    winger wrote:
    6394306-S.jpg
    Oh, Winger, I didn't notice that your boat was blurry until you mentioned it.
    I was too busy going WOW. Maybe we could all promise not to tell anyone about the blurry boat, and nobody else will notice either. (Need a smiley with hands covering eyes)

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I'm confused! Can anybody please help me out here and give me some feedback on these? Dankie!

This is one of the 4 mills in our neighborhood.

6433605-S.jpg

Simone, is this a reflection, if so could you make that more apparent. I really like the windmill. I don't have any of those anywhere. And I have only seen a few in the USA. But I can't tell if it is a reflection.

This was made yesterday of the Queen Mary;

I messed up, sorry, no image. The Queen Mary certainly works, I don't go WOW, and I don't know why.

And this is a reflection in a puddle of a policestation in KL;

This one I thought I had seen before. Uh, don't know what to say, couldn't figure it out the first time, still don't have handle on it.

I really like the windmill idea, can you go back and make it really look like a reflection. Maybe you could make a Kerploosh, in an appropriate place (a ripple in the water, caused by throwing an object in:) I am not going to suggest which objects, I have some you could have, but most of them are alive and wiggle.

headscratch.gif
    ginger1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    Thanks Ginger..also for making me laugh..again!

I made a lot of the mill, people actually live there so I always feel really bad. Try to imagine what it's like having people with tripods in my yard..but they're so pretty!

So here're some more;

6434427-M.jpg

6434426-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:

I made a lot of the mill, people actually live there so I always feel really bad. Try to imagine what it's like having people with tripods in my yard..but they're so pretty!

So here're some more;

6434426-S.jpg
    Simone, I really like this as a subject. Yes I can see where you would be very nervous. I don't use a tripod, and I get nervous when I am anywhere not totally public. Or when I am taking photos of people other than my family and the church baptism.

I wonder if you could pull back a bit, including the whole windmill and reflection. Experiment with compositions...........

I really like the windmill, it just hasn't quite gotten to that state where I feel comfortable saying, "Oh I love that photo", but it is definitely worth going after, smile.

ginger
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 22, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    1271LuxEarly_cs.jpg
    Hmmm... Do you actually like this one better than the one below that I entered?

1330LuxSunrise_s.jpg
    I agree with Rutt on this one too - I liked your sunrise a lot, but the orange graphic may wear better on the wall over time than the sunrise.

I think Rutt may be on to something when he says the winning picture and the better picture( long term) may not be the same. Oversaturation and bazaam may grab your eye, but subtle, understatement may wear better in the long run. Kind of like mascara and eye makeup, perhaps?Wicked.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Simone, I really like this as a subject. Yes I can see where you would be very nervous. I don't use a tripod, and I get nervous when I am anywhere not totally public. Or when I am taking photos of people other than my family and the church baptism.

I wonder if you could pull back a bit, including the whole windmill and reflection. Experiment with compositions...........

I really like the windmill, it just hasn't quite gotten to that state where I feel comfortable saying, "Oh I love that photo", but it is definitely worth going after, smile.

ginger

Thanks for your point of view on these Ginger! Hope i come up with something else before monday.. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:

So here're some more;

6434426-S.jpg

Simone,
    I like the last one because it shows a little more of the context. I also think it would be better if the windmill was not cut off on the edge. The reflection may not all get in the water in that case. Maybe you could go when the light is at a little different angle. Were the first two cropped? If so, maybe you could show more of the picture. If that's all there is, then I'd have to say showing a little ripple helps, but showing more background helps more. I'm sorry, I don't think I'm being much help. I'm trying to be constructive.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Again, I like this a lot and I think the subtle reflection works. It's odd though; even though I think this is a really good picture, I don't think it's a good contest picture. I'm starting to learn to make that distinction.

Gubbs, I am liking the picture of your wife more and more. Do you think you could burn the grass a bit, before you sell me a tee tiny print.

I actually saw "her" in Rutt's post this time.

What scares me is that others don't know what to look for. Darn it is good though, except for the bright green grass, smile.

gingerthumb.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 22, 2004
    winger wrote:
    6394306-M.jpg
    i was gonna tell you yesterday that you should have a look at this week's dgrin challenge. don't be a wuss, put up some of the daytime ones - i saw a couple winners in there.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 22, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:

So here're some more;

6433605-S.jpg
    I really like this second windmill shot because of the "upside-down" nature of the grass. Its less conventional than the first reflection shot (which is still really nice), and i like that. And I've said it before, I mostly dig reflections that give disortion - thats half the fun!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Simone,
    I like the last one because it shows a little more of the context. I also think it would be better if the windmill was not cut off on the edge. The reflection may not all get in the water in that case. Maybe you could go when the light is at a little different angle. Were the first two cropped? If so, maybe you could show more of the picture. If that's all there is, then I'd have to say showing a little ripple helps, but showing more background helps more. I'm sorry, I don't think I'm being much help. I'm trying to be constructive.

Thanks for your comments Snappy! The idea was to just get the reflection in the water, turn it around and that the waterlilies would be upside down to give away it's a reflection, But i ended up finding it all a bit messy..don't know, but it's not right. To just get the mill+reflection seems a bit to easy, not a real challenge. Just wait for a nice afternoon with some clouds and stop by on my way to the supermarket.. :D

I have so many shots for this challenge, but I guess I'll wait for the next one to enter.. still a few days left..

Thanks again..much appreciated!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    Tree Reflected
    This is a shot of a tree reflected in a mirror with drops of water on it. I liked the fact that the tree was reflected in all the drops. What do you think? Any good? headscratch.gif

6436802-L.jpg

Or a different composition - I think I like either one with a border around it. It seems to run off the page without it. Like Ginger said, it needs a skin.

6438365-L.jpg
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:

6152517-M.jpg

Just catching up to this thread. In my purely layman's opinion, these are the 3 that jumped off the screen when I first saw them, much like Lynne's "sand bath" last time. Great work from everyone!

I go away for a few days, and the thread goes crazy, pages to catch up on, I pity Andy when he comes back :D

Thank you for the vote of confidence DJ-S1

Desparate for a reflection
    6362206-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This is a shot of a tree reflected in a mirror with drops of water on it. I liked the fact that the tree was reflected in all the drops. What do you think? Any good? headscratch.gif

6436802-S.jpg

Or a different composition
    Snappy, when I saw it as large as you had it, I went WOW, those water drops scared me, thought they might hit me on the head.

I like it.

You have a pretty good imagination, don't you.

gingerclap.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I agree with your choice of Ginger's flipped relection. That one has been growing on me each time I see it. I would now rate her shots as:

1. Flipped couple
    2. Rainbow
    3. bird

And Lynne your shot of the horse's eye is excellent but I know how you feel. At one point I thought I might make the final group and even that hope is frayed now :cry

Thanks! Laughing.gif. Agreed, and I liked Ginger's bird but would like it tons more if cropped so that the bird wasn't centered, YMMV.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    Fantastic place to be.... Pictures, attitude....thumb.gif

Thanks
    Jon
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    What do you mean, Gubbs
    gubbs wrote:
    Fantastic place to be.... Pictures, attitude....thumb.gif

Thanks
    Jon

Are you talking about digital grinn? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    Tree reflected No. 3...
    Maybe this one headscratch.gif
    I think I like this composition the best...
    6439482-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

[img]hhttp://snapapple.smugmug.com/photos/6436802-L.jpgttp://[/img]

Or a different composition - I think I like either one with a border around it. It seems to run off the page without it. Like Ginger said, it needs a skin.

6438365-S.jpg
    Snappy.

I think that's an awesome shot, original , one off, fantastic... wow!!! I hope people agree, making the most of, seeing the picture, vision...thumb.gif
    how did you do it
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Snappy.

I think that's an awesome shot, original , one off, fantastic... wow!!! I hope people agree, making the most of, seeing the picture, vision...thumb.gif
    how did you do it

Well thanks Gubbs. I was thinking of turning the hose on my patio to make a puddle. There's this tree there. A table was right there, so I thought, "why not a mirror on the table?" I got a mirror from the bedroom and put it on the table. Then I thought, "What about some drops of water on it?" As I was focusing, I tried macro on the drops and there was the tree. I liked it.

For processing, I didn't do anything much. I just cropped out the frame of the mirror, levels, contrast, a little USM. That's it. :D