Options

>>> challenge 17 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I think I would go with the escalators, as I am getting kind of tired of the tree and water, but that doesn't really mean anything.

ginger

Thanks Ginger,
    I put the tree on the entry thread to compare it with the other entries. I think I may enter it because it is more unique. I don't know about a border or not. Still thinking. I think I would hang the Tree Drops on my wall. It would have to have a plain white mat and a black frame. I think it's a "modern art" kind of shot and would have to be in a setting that calls for modern art. I can see it as a very large print. I put it on my computer as wallpaper and it made me jump when I saw it. Too "up close". The wallpaper scene has to be something with depth. I changed back to a landscape. rolleyes1.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Snappy, I put a couple more up, too. Do you like the dog picture better when it is in the same color family as the "no bird" picture? Also another dog picture, still not my dog, and reflected, not a silhouette.

ginger

(I really followed all the rules in the pictures I am putting up, Levels, guys, Levels, and not even different color adjustments, the whole page. You can duplicate the results.)bowdown.gif

Ginger,
    I do like this picture a lot...

6503939-S.jpg

I think it is something I would buy to hang on my wall. It is more "art" than the other one to me. Maybe because of the moody colors. I like the bright colored one with the dog reflected in the sand too. But, it's just a more casual shot. I would hang it in family room or kitchen. A casual place. They are both technically good pictures. The bright one is more of a "reflection" catagory shot. The more grey one seems more "quality of light". I like them both - a lot. thumb.gif

You know, I just noticed that the horizon looks tilted. Maybe that should be straightened a little. Just a minor thing. :D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger,
    I do like this picture a lot...

6503939-S.jpg

I think it is something I would buy to hang on my wall. It is more "art" than the other one to me. Maybe because of the moody colors. I like the bright colored one with the dog reflected in the sand too. But, it's just a more casual shot. I would hang it in family room or kitchen. A casual place. They are both technically good pictures. The bright one is more of a "reflection" catagory shot. The more grey one seems more "quality of light". I like them both - a lot. thumb.gif

You know, I just noticed that the horizon looks tilted. Maybe that should be straightened a little. Just a minor thing. :D
    Since Smugmug is down.................. I don't know which one you like. Someone likes the woman walking the dog.

I am like you, I like my own stuff. Actually, it would be easier to choose between any of my four kids for something, not life threatening, than it is to choose between these photographs.

How does one choose between a dog walking, a rainbow and/or a reflection in a lake. I am thinking of hanging the rainbow simply because it is my favorite spot in the world, just about. That is sentiment for a feeling of safety that place gives me. I would hang any of my shots, the reflection, too. Depending on where they would go.

I first off thought my Reflection was the one I would, personally, pick for a "reflection" Challenge, but I am a little tired of it, too. It is scary to finally say, "this is it". Last time I was just working on one photo, which I don't think is as good as any, or most, that I have done this time. People who have given me feedback are pretty evenly divided, too, for their own reasons, in what they like of mine.

One thing, with yours, I am sure you had a feeling reaction when I said the escalators, so you could tell which one you really want. It is certainly good. I would still go without the frame..........but that is up to you........I don't know much of anything anymore, except I am up too late to go to the beach again. It was so nice to let the dogs run, they hardly ever get that opportunity.

Wish smugmug would open.

gingerthumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Escalators -

6503890-S.jpg

what do you think? headscratch.gif
    I like this cropping of the escalators much better - not sure why, but the asynmmetry I find much mre appealing. lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    Snappy, now I can see it..........yes, the horizon does appear to be tilted. By now this type appears to be tilted.

I think one strong reason I am not entering those, either of them, is that I am afraid that is could be said they are more quality of light than reflection.

The woman walking the dog, that is a different story. The reason I am not entering that one is that I don't have a strong reason to. And I am not sure that it would be as universally liked. I like it a lot. It is something I like to do. Just show the human's legs and the dog is the focus, but not alone. It is bright, cheerful with a definite reflection. But, like I said, I don't have a strong reason to do that, enter it.

going to do something, then go to bed.

g
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    Again, I don't think these are entries, but I kinda liked them and wondered what you thought...

6514490-L.jpg

6514492-L.jpg
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Again, I don't think these are entries, but I kinda liked them and wondered what you thought...

6514490-S.jpg

6514492-S.jpg

I like the first one the best; it tells a story, i wonder who works here. The second one i would crop just the mirror..don't know headscratch.gif They both have the same 'problem' as all my reflection pics; the angle seems to be wrong. I like it symetrical (right spelling?) or from an angle more on the side, but that doesn't work with those reflections, there's only one angle that you can catch it without being in the picture yourself.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Cropped, contrast, saturation.... and clone tool. So I won't be submitting it.
    I like the pond Sid I'm not sure about the houses in the background. For the challenge we can crop, sat, curves etc (no clone) (no blur - Oh No) so what did you clone? I like your street scenes, and window reflections myself. I took one in Maine of a diner with a reflection with you on my shoulder and I thought it was going to be great.. it was (poop) so I deleted it.
    And yes, my spirit flew free about the forests of Maine and my doctor says I can go on my canoe/camping trip with my women friends in Aug as long as I keep the brace on, even if soaked he said. So I'm thrilled. Hope to bring back some nature shots, bald eagles, bears, sunrises and loons.
    :D
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    I think I'm getting closer to what I had in mind. This may be my submission.

6516087-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    One last change here. I remember one of my art teachers saying it's good to have your design run off the page. And, I wanted to move that orange line up a little bit. So I cropped the top. I think I like this better.

6503890-S.jpg

So now I have a final version of each. The last day is coming up. I have to chose.
    Comments appreciated. :D

Yes, I like this very much. That's an interesting point, about having stuff run off the page, I'll have to remember that.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I like the pond Sid I'm not sure about the houses in the background. For the challenge we can crop, sat, curves etc (no clone) (no blur - Oh No) so what did you clone? I like your street scenes, and window reflections myself. I took one in Maine of a diner with a reflection with you on my shoulder and I thought it was going to be great.. it was (poop) so I deleted it.
    And yes, my spirit flew free about the forests of Maine and my doctor says I can go on my canoe/camping trip with my women friends in Aug as long as I keep the brace on, even if soaked he said. So I'm thrilled. Hope to bring back some nature shots, bald eagles, bears, sunrises and loons.

Thanks Lynn. There was a small tree in the top right corner that was a distraction, so I removed it. This challenge is defeating me, which is a good thing, makes me think. I have ideas for composed shots which might work, but I haven't tried to execute them. I'm finding it very difficult to capture truly interesting reflections.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

6516087-S.jpg

I like your work with the pinball machine, dugmar. The colors and the energy are compelling. I think I might prefer the complexity of your previous effort more, though.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm finding it very difficult to capture truly interesting reflections.
    Same here, I took more photos for this one than all of the others combined. I'm sure glad we're not shooting film here. :)

This one was tough. I was walking around town for a week uninspired by what I saw. Finally, while blowing off some steam in my basement with a martini and a few games of pinball it struck me. "Hey, I can see myself in the ball!"

Doug
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I like your work with the pinball machine, dugmar. The colors and the energy are compelling. I think I might prefer the complexity of your previous effort more, though.
    Yeah, I know what you are saying, however, to stay true to the subject at hand, I think this one fits the challenge the best. I don't know, I still have a few hours to change it I guess. If I can come up with something I will post it for sure. Too nice to be inside today, I'll check back with you guys later tonight.

Doug
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    Have a great day! Take the camera. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    This morning. The light was overcast, looked like rain. No drama! But we had fun, and there were a few reflections.
    This time it is my dog, Merry Chapel, one year, and two days, old. I have two Corgis, she is getting all the "air time".

6524588-L.jpg

This is yesterday, and it is Skye, he will be three yrs old next month. They may not be the biggest reflections, but they are reflections. You know how I said I was sick of looking at certain photos, including mine. I discovered last night that I was not that impressed by Andy's anymore, either, not if I would have to look at it. (I had better hope he doesn't read this, huh?)

ginger

6507846-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    This morning. The light was overcast, looked like rain. No drama! But we had fun, and there were a few reflections.
    This time it is my dog, Merry Chapel, one year, and two days, old. I have two Corgis, she is getting all the "air time".

This is yesterday, and it is Skye, he will be three yrs old next month. They may not be the biggest reflections, but they are reflections. You know how I said I was sick of looking at certain photos, including mine. I discovered last night that I was not that impressed by Andy's anymore, either, not if I would have to look at it. (I had better hope he doesn't read this, huh?)

ginger
    Maybe your've been pushing too hard and need a break.. I think your dog shots at the beach are lovely and I can't imagine ever getting sick of looking at Andy's shots...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Lynn. There was a small tree in the top right corner that was a distraction, so I removed it. This challenge is defeating me, which is a good thing, makes me think. I have ideas for composed shots which might work, but I haven't tried to execute them. I'm finding it very difficult to capture truly interesting reflections.
    Have you not been night roaming lately Sid?? your light/night shots are usually fantastic.. has someone put your ankle bracelet back on??
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    Ginger, this is pretty neat...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    That dog from a different perspective. Pretty neat, huh? Or not? ginger
    Oh, we gotta get this toy thing!

6503932-S.jpg

I really like this! After a good nights sleep, I looked at all of these again. I think this is a great shot. I can see this being picked as a contest winner. I'm thinking of our local newspaper etc., not just digital grin. This tells a story. (The tennis ball thing is cool. I saw one being used at the beach one day. Avoids having to get dog drool all over your hands.) Anyway, this shot has a person and a dog. That gives it "life". It has action, movement or whatever you call it. It has sparkle and color. It has something people can relate to. Whether it's the best choice for this particular challenge, I don't know. It's a terrific picture.

But, for reflections I still like the rainbow. Yes, that is my favorite. It's difficult to catch a rainbow. Even more difficult to catch one reflected. Even more difficult to catch two. A special shot is one that is unique; not seen every day. Ginger, I really love all of your pictures for this challenge. It's not fair to have to pick just one. Like you said, they are all your children. How can you chose? Maybe you can enter some of them in other contests on other websites or even in your local paper or a magazine. Keep that in mind and keep those pictures handy. They are all "winner" quality.

About my pictures, I like them both now. I really think the escalator picture is improved by the last crop. Thanks, Wxwax, for saying so. It's hard for me to chose also. They are both my children. But I'm going to have to go back to something either Rutt or Pathfinder said. There is a difference between what we like and would buy and what would win a contest. I am personally satisfied with both of my pictures. They are both good quality for me.
    They both demonstrate some growth in me as a photographer. Therefore, I am a winner.
    Now, as far as a choice, which one is special? I think we see escalators all the time. They do not evoke emotion. True, they are seen in a special way in this instance. But, the tree is more unique. How many people have ever seen that shot? The tree is a living thing. More emotion. The reflections are unique. The picture is all about reflections. For this challenge, it would seem that this is the shot.

Thank you all for your help and kind words. Some like the escalators, some like the tree, it's a split. But, you've helped me improve both of the pictures with your advice. That is invaluable.

I hope you all have enjoyed this challenge as much as I have.
    Spockling, I like your final entry. It has more life than the first one. I like the play of the delicate glass objects against the heavy truck. I like the way it is framed in the door.
    Simone, I like your entry of the Queen Mary II. It's very unique. One of those special moments recorded in a very special way. Much better than escalators. mwink.gif (I'd like to buy a print of the one with the ship windows and the guy looking out of the one on the left.)
    If you look back through this thread, you can see how we all are inspired to do more.
    Well, only a few hours left. We can all run out and try for one more special shot. :lol
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    Thanks Snappy!wave.gif I have only really started taking up photography semi-seriously(is that a word?) within the last two months. While I don't offer a lot of feedback to other pictures, I feel it is because of the quality of the all the others work that makes me feel unqualified to do so. Once I am able to gain a better "eye" for the "finer" things in photographs, I'm sure I will be better suited to provide feedback. Thanks Again. BTW I really like the water droplets. Persoanlly the escalator is a bit confusing. I find that there's almost too much reflection in it that's there's nothing to reference it to. If it was shot of a lobby with that at the end of a foyer, then there might be something to offset it.

Just my thoughts......from a newbie.

Good Luck.:D
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    Hey, Snappy, our benevolent, allbeit roving, leader is coming back tonight.

I wonder if he will have anything to say:D .

Thanks for all you said about my pictures. I am, as Lynn pointed out, tired. I did not mean that I don't like Andy's photograph, I just mean that ............ it is still there, as is mine, etc.

I would be more excited to put up a different picture every time I take one.

That would be Rutt who mentioned that contest winners can be very different from what one would want to live with.

And that is the problem, often, I think. It seems sad to me to pander to the popular tastes, etc. Also, these are not only chosen, they are voted on, so which one of us wants to have anyone angry with us. But then this is just a reflection of the larger way the world works.

Oh, the kicker is that what would win here would not be the same as what would win somewhere else. Also, as I said, I have seen photographs raved about on this list, then not even get "chosen" in the final ten.

I guess that is why I really want to like the photograph that I put up so that I don't care if it wins. I do really respect Andy, so I do like being in the final ten. But I have trouble guessing there, too. Impossible thing to do.

I like many of my photographs right now, enough to not care if they win/won, and that is such a quandary. That is why I am trying to stick with my first gut instinct.

There is the matter of what I think is ambiguity in the rules. I would like to see that cleared up. A lack of "clear" rules worked while Andy was here for feedback, but when he left, it became less workable.

For instance cloning. Now I have heard it mentioned that cloning is not allowed. I have not heard that from Andy. Most of my photographs are pretty straight forward, and within the already stated rules from Andy. What got me in trouble was mentioning the "burn" tool which I thought was kind of a nothing thing. Then cloning came up.............. but it is not, in fact, in the rules one way or another.

This is all in the interpretation, so someone who wants to clone a bit might not do it because of "our" interpretation of the rules, while, at the same time, someone skilled at Curves, is using that method extensively.

I have my photograph on there, I don't know if Andy will say something. I don't think about using the rainbow anymore, to me I kind of want to hold it safe to myself, away from this list. If I were to change my mind, I don't even know if I would use a frame. Smile.

I do like your new cropping, too. On the escalator, my eye settles better, that is a good thing.

I have had a lot of computer problems again, today and yesterday. At the same time, I am working up the beach pictures. That can be scary and time consuming when my computer keeps tanking and crashing.

ginger
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

6516087-S.jpg
    Played with the curves and stuff to try for a more natural color. Don't know if you like it.... but it is a suggestion.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Played with the curves and stuff to try for a more natural color. Don't know if you like it.... but it is a suggestion.

Charles,
    I like it better with a little more contrast. Colors a little deeper. Maybe somewhere in between the two. Just my opinion. As I said before. I like high contrast and sharpness. But the reflection shows up more now. The rest just looks a little washed out to me. IMHO :D
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

There is the matter of what I think is ambiguity in the rules. I would like to see that cleared up. A lack of "clear" rules worked while Andy was here for feedback, but when he left, it became less workable.

For instance cloning. Now I have heard it mentioned that cloning is not allowed. I have not heard that from Andy. Most of my photographs are pretty straight forward, and within the already stated rules from Andy. What got me in trouble was mentioning the "burn" tool which I thought was kind of a nothing thing. Then cloning came up.............. but it is not, in fact, in the rules one way or another.

This is all in the interpretation, so someone who wants to clone a bit might not do it because of "our" interpretation of the rules, while, at the same time, someone skilled at Curves, is using that method extensively.

ginger

Ginger,
    I have to agree with you on this. It is difficult with Andy gone. I think I remember him saying it's OK to use cloning to clean up a picture. But anything more, like changing the content of the picture, is too much. He said, darkroom stuff is ok. Cleaning a negative is darkroom stuff. Dodging and burning is darkroom stuff. It is not adding or taking away content. I think he actually said this, but I can't say where. So, again it is my interpretation. Personally, I liked your rainbow as first posted. Burning was not necessary anyway. IMHO
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    6516087-S.jpg
    I like this a lot. I wonder if the ball and your reflection were brightened a bit to better catch the veiwer's eye if it might be even more effective. A shiny steel ball should stand out, right?
    Was this shot with AWB or did you change the camera's white balance setting to tungsten? If yoiu have not shot this with the tungsten setting you might try it and see if the color is more effective.
    I like this image and think it has real potential - It shows us something we do not usually notice for ourselves and I like that aspect of photography.lickout.gif

• Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    It has been interesting to read of the travails of each of us, trying to capture and perfect our image of a "Reflection". Each of us has pursued varied and different subjects and techniques. I think we have all learned some too along the way.
    In regard to the No PS statement by Andy I am in Snappy's camp in that I think any usuall darkroom type activity like dust removal or dodging and burning are ok ( Andy MAY disagree, but I suspect not ) as well as color balancing and sharpening. I think he may not allow adjustment masks and will not allow Photoshop to CREATE to reflection.

I have been out trying to find more reflections and I found a couple. Some reflections are not sharp, but are very soft and blurry and set a mood
    6512304-L.jpg

Some reflections are crisp and sharp .....

6531124-M.jpg

And some are clear but very small and tell a story

6512305-L.jpg

Good luck everyone on the challenge - It has been funLaughing.gif

• Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    Dogs, reflections, rocks, and the sea at daybreak
    Good luck, Pathfinder, I like the first one.

6533710-L.jpg

6533716-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    hey everyone, i'm back ...
    wow i see you've all been busy :D

remember, entries close monday at noon!
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    take two cocktails and call me in the morning
    hey g

time for a non-photography break. skydiving? bungee jumping? underwater basket weaving? heheh anything other than your camera for a day....

cheers!

andy

ps: love the skye shot!
    ginger_55 wrote:

6524588-S.jpg

ginger

6507846-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2004
    cloning
    i think that agressive cloning falls into the category of "beyond the basic adjustments" and shouldn't be done for this challenge. minimal, and i mean minimal cloning (touching up a spot here/there, well that's okay, becuase we could do that in the dark room quite easily, too).

you guys asked for a no-photoshop challenge... so create with your eyes and your camera and use ps for basic adjustments only, right?

but really - what i said in the initial post on the main challenge thread was my intention - basic minimal adjustments - that's the idea here.

if there's a particular pic in question, please direct me to it in a pm, okay? thanks all!

andy

ginger_55 wrote:

I wonder if he will have anything to say:D .

Thanks for all you said about my pictures. I am, as Lynn pointed out, tired. I did not mean that I don't like Andy's photograph, I just mean that ............ it is still there, as is mine, etc.

I would be more excited to put up a different picture every time I take one.

That would be Rutt who mentioned that contest winners can be very different from what one would want to live with.

And that is the problem, often, I think. It seems sad to me to pander to the popular tastes, etc. Also, these are not only chosen, they are voted on, so which one of us wants to have anyone angry with us. But then this is just a reflection of the larger way the world works.

Oh, the kicker is that what would win here would not be the same as what would win somewhere else. Also, as I said, I have seen photographs raved about on this list, then not even get "chosen" in the final ten.

I guess that is why I really want to like the photograph that I put up so that I don't care if it wins. I do really respect Andy, so I do like being in the final ten. But I have trouble guessing there, too. Impossible thing to do.

I like many of my photographs right now, enough to not care if they win/won, and that is such a quandary. That is why I am trying to stick with my first gut instinct.

I have my photograph on there, I don't know if Andy will say something. I don't think about using the rainbow anymore, to me I kind of want to hold it safe to myself, away from this list. If I were to change my mind, I don't even know if I would use a frame. Smile.

I do like your new cropping, too. On the escalator, my eye settles better, that is a good thing.

I have had a lot of computer problems again, today and yesterday. At the same time, I am working up the beach pictures. That can be scary and time consuming when my computer keeps tanking and crashing.

ginger