couldn't choose a winner this week bowdown.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    Aren't we a great bunch!!
    gubbs wrote:
    yep, sorry
    look at the pictures and comments and you'll know what I mean

I thought that was what you meant. I've read the whole thread. All the photographers are getting better and better over time. The pictures are so great it's intimidating. But, everyone just keeps on plugging away. And everyone just keeps on helping each other. We're a great bunch.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I think that's an awesome shot, original , one off, fantastic... wow!!! I hope people agree, making the most of, seeing the picture, vision...thumb.gif
    I definitely agree with Gubbs, Snappy. I thought the escalator was very good, but the originality of the tree in the water drops is fabulous. I really like it better, are you considering changing your entry?
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    What do you think?
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I definitely agree with Gubbs, Snappy. I thought the escalator was very good, but the originality of the tree in the water drops is fabulous. I really like it better, are you considering changing your entry?

I'll put them both here and you can tell me which you like best.

6438212-M.jpg

6438365-M.jpg

I think I still like the escalators best, but now that you guys said my tree drops are original, it makes me think. I didn't think it was going to be a very good shot. It was just something to do to fill in. Thanks again for the compliments. Really makes me feel good. Shows what we can accomplish when we keep stretching I guess. Like ginger says, as long as we are happy with what we accomplish, that's all that matters. But, compliments from this group mean a lot. :D
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Well, I'm a layman here, so factor that in heavily. I think the escalators is probably a better "technical" photo. headscratch.gifne_nau.gif Personally I like the tree, which I think is original and "reflects" the theme very well. (umph.gif sorry)

But I guess the real question is which has a better chance of doing well in the challenge. Seeing them both together, I think the escalator would. It's up to you, and who knows, you may have another one that tops both of these before the deadline. Wouldn't surprise me a bit, the "rejects" you guys fool around with are better than most people's best shots.

It's funny, I saw an online contest somewhere else; based on the winner and the 5 runners-up they selected, dgrin folks would have blown away the competition hands down. nod.gif
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    I couldn't agree more about the quality of the photos and the people who post here. I'm on my way out to Santa Fe. I may find some new reflection photos.
    Snappy I'm not sure which photo to pick, they're both really good.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

6438212-S.jpg

6438365-M.jpg

I think I still like the escalators best, but now that you guys said my tree drops are original, it makes me think. I didn't think it was going to be a very good shot. It was just something to do to fill in. Thanks again for the compliments. Really makes me feel good. Shows what we can accomplish when we keep stretching I guess. Like ginger says, as long as we are happy with what we accomplish, that's all that matters. But, compliments from this group mean a lot. :D

I don't know what other people really think, but I like the tree better, and it is not the tree, it is the total effect, some kind of precious glass is falling, that is how it looks to me.

Maybe it is because I am not around escalators much, hey I live in one of the largest cities in South Carolina. Even Mt Pleasant, it is one of the biggest cities in South Carolina. That doesn't include Charleston which is 5 minutes away, and is bigger.

But I don't know of any escalators in Mt Pleasant, it is not that type of place. When I went into Charleston more, over ten years ago, the only place I remember with escalators was the Omni, a big new hotel. It is no longer the Omni, no longer new, though I think of it as new, it had an escalator.

I used to be around escalators, but not in a longer time than seems possible. So I don't really "get" the escalator shot. I look at it and think, where are the reflections. I may be the only really provincial person here, but that is what I see in the escalator shot. It is beautifully composed, balanced, all that, but it is a puzzlement to me.

The mirror, the water drops and the tree, I understand that, but it is still a puzzlement, but I see it as something that is supposed to be that way. With the escalator I "think" I am supposed to know where the mirrors are.

So, I like the tree and the water. I certainly don't know how anyone else feels. All the years I had babies who were destined to die from getting caught in escalators, I never dreamed I would, one day, be escalator deprived. Maybe I am the only one.ne_nau.gif

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    Escalator deprived, that's a good one g. I think you're on track with your comment, the water drops are unique.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    ginger_55 wrote:

I don't know what other people really think, but I like the tree better, and it is not the tree, it is the total effect, some kind of precious glass is falling, that is how it looks to me.

Maybe it is because I am not around escalators much, hey I live in one of the largest cities in South Carolina. Even Mt Pleasant, it is one of the biggest cities in South Carolina. That doesn't include Charleston which is 5 minutes away, and is bigger.

But I don't know of any escalators in Mt Pleasant, it is not that type of place. When I went into Charleston more, over ten years ago, the only place I remember with escalators was the Omni, a big new hotel. It is no longer the Omni, no longer new, though I think of it as new, it had an escalator.

I used to be around escalators, but not in a longer time than seems possible. So I don't really "get" the escalator shot. I look at it and think, where are the reflections. I may be the only really provincial person here, but that is what I see in the escalator shot. It is beautifully composed, balanced, all that, but it is a puzzlement to me.

The mirror, the water drops and the tree, I understand that, but it is still a puzzlement, but I see it as something that is supposed to be that way. With the escalator I "think" I am supposed to know where the mirrors are.

So, I like the tree and the water. I certainly don't know how anyone else feels. All the years I had babies who were destined to die from getting caught in escalators, I never dreamed I would, one day, be escalator deprived. Maybe I am the only one.ne_nau.gif

ginger
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree with Rutt on this one too - I liked your sunrise a lot, but the orange graphic may wear better on the wall over time than the sunrise.

I think Rutt may be on to something when he says the winning picture and the better picture( long term) may not be the same. Oversaturation and bazaam may grab your eye, but subtle, understatement may wear better in the long run. Kind of like mascara and eye makeup, perhaps?Wicked.gif
    Interestingly enough, I thought the clouds and the somewhat subtle reflections in the window I was shooting through made the shot I submitted more interesting over time that the orange reflection, so you guys (and the "wow" by I think Ginger) has come somewhat as a surprise. You are making me wonder if I should change.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

6438365-M.jpg

The tree. The reduced size image does not do it justice. Full size it is just plain oustanding.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    The reflection in the escalators - for Ginger
    6438212-M.jpg

Ginger,
    In the escalator shot, you are looking at two escalators, each with mirrored sides. The one on the left is reflecting the one on the right as you can tell by the fact that you see the hand rails reflected (the black lines with the bright lights under them). The mirrored sides of the one on the left also reflect the mirror image of the orange colored trim around the room that is from the mirrored sides of the escalator on the right (the actual trim is visible in the center of the V). Finally, there is a palm tree reflected in side of the escalator on the left. I'm not sure now if it is the one you see on the right or another one. The other shot I posted of the escalators, the reject so to speak, also showed mirrors on the ceiling in front of the elavator. That shot is posted earlier in this thread. Actually, with all the mirrors, and the mirrored chandelier, the hotel lobby is really very beautiful.

But, now you folks have given me a delema. I have to chose. Ah well, what to do, what to do. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I interpreted Andy's no PS to mean no reflections created using PS. My bridge shot did use LAB sharpening and dodging and burning and cloning out. I am an old darkroom guy, so I thought these would be allowed.. What is the difference between shooting RAW and shooting in camera jpgs that are enhanced in camera with sharpening and increased contrast?? My rant....Laughing.gif

As for frames - I agree with your feelings about prints which will be displayed in a mat and a frame. I felt that this image is dark enough to need a white border to set it off especially since the background in dgrin is a dark grey background. If the background were white or neutral grey I might agree with you.lickout.gif
    Here are two more versions of my bridge reflections - I envy the nice blue skies with white clouds I have been seeing in the submissions. Nothing here lately but hot humid grey overcast days! Arghh!

I have two versions and am interested in which people prefer and why. Rutt, I have omitted the frames just for you Laughing.gif

6450531-L.jpg

Does anyone prefer the diagonal view?

6450536-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    Quandary, now I have to choose!!
    Decisions,.....decisions
    reflect4_ni.jpg
    or.....
    reflect8_ni.jpg
    reflect9_ni1.jpg

Suggestions anyone?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    Wow, there's no way to keep up with this thread! So many very nice shots! I've started to give comments many times, but sometimes it's too difficult to express what i think in english, and didn't enter it. It's about a feeling you have and that's sometimes difficult translating into words anyway; no matter what language! Anyway;

Rutt; the boardwalk one you entered is just beatiful..the picture makes me want to go there!

Ginger; the painting-like reflection is still my favorite!

Gubbs; if you could get the reflection of your wife just a little bit more visible? I like the old green glass, makes it a bit spooky..

Snappy; i liked the escalator but that tree..wow! I played a little bit with it and turned it upsidedown..interesting!

Just for fun;
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Here are two more versions of my bridge reflections - I envy the nice blue skies with white clouds I have been seeing in the submissions. Nothing here lately but hot humid grey overcast days! Arghh!

I have two versions and am interested in which people prefer and why. Rutt, I have omitted the frames just for you Laughing.gif

6450531-Th.jpg

6450536-Th.jpg
    The straight ahead shot is really beautiful and very representative of your bridges. It really looks like it was A+B steepened; if not it shows perfect control over exposure, lighting, and RAW conversion. The water is so glassy, the shot is so on message for the contest.

The second shot is a departure for you and very interesting. I don't think it quite works. Was the camera level? Perhaps a shot from a similar angle but with the bridge more vertical would work better? It's probably worth figuring out how to make this angle work.

And yes, ah, the simple frames make a real difference. These look much more like classical professional photographs than the drop shadow frame with the pseudonym. I know it's a pet peeve of mine, but elaborate digital frames that people use are really distracting. They tell me that the photographer isn't confident enough to let his/her work stand on it's own. The simple lines you used here work and are much more in keeping with photographic tradition. The only real reason for a digital frame is to include your credit and copyright. That is a real reason, but even then, simpler is better.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

6450531-S.jpg

Pathfinder, did you totally lose it overnight???? I will answer you with the dignity and the straight face with which you asked us.

I rolleyes1.gif ginger, umph.gif just having awakened, went to sleep with the thought all my favorite pictures were safely "here".1drink.gif
    I wake up and you are asking me if anyone likes the other bridge. I have to answer you truthfully, I don't know what other people are thinking.ne_nau.gif

But I ADORE the top bridge that you worked so hard on to my approval and everyone else's, I think/thought.:D

Rutt, those little people are a bit scary and annoying two minutes into ones day.

So,
    smile, ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    Booked a table, for tonight :D
    6458934-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    The second shot is a departure for you and very interesting. I don't think it quite works. Was the camera level? Perhaps a shot from a similar angle but with the bridge more vertical would work better? It's probably worth figuring out how to make this angle work.

. The only real reason for a digital frame is to include your credit and copyright. That is a real reason, but even then, simpler is better.
    Once again I appreciate your answer about correct exposure - these images do tend to the left half of the histogram, but if I move them to the right, they loose their moodiness dramatically.
    I did not like the angled shot as well either, but think that there may be an image there yet as there is a much better reflection of the bridge's under structure which has a nice regular gridlike pattern. The camera was angled to keep the roof line parallel with the frames's upper border. I will persist with it a bit more.

The solution to copyright info is to create a nice signature brush and use it in a lower corner with a nice contrasting color, perhaps. Once again, thank you.

• Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Decisions,.....decisions

Suggestions anyone?ne_nau.gif
    The window/mirror one is best IMO. Nothing really Wows me in the two slough shots.

reflect4_ni.jpg
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    winger wrote:
    My boat is a bit blurry :(
    6394306-S.jpg

You are on the right track but yes your boat is to blurry. A longer exposure might have worked.
    Or even not having the ship in the picture at all and just focus on the structure and its reflection.

Tim
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    And yes, ah, the simple frames make a real difference. These look much more like classical professional photographs than the drop shadow frame with the pseudonym. I know it's a pet peeve of mine, but elaborate digital frames that people use are really distracting. They tell me that the photographer isn't confident enough to let his/her work stand on it's own. The simple lines you used here work and are much more in keeping with photographic tradition. The only real reason for a digital frame is to include your credit and copyright. That is a real reason, but even then, simpler is better.
    I agree with Rutt here... Frames are for prettying up when putting on a wall, not for tying a photo together or fixing a composition.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    winger wrote:
    6394306-M.jpg
    My boat is a bit blurry :(
    I think this setting has real potential - Can you reshoot this area again with a higher ISO if necessary? Was the ship blurry because of movement during a long exposure or was it out of focus? I think there a areally great image here that has just not been captured yet. Waht camera/lens was this shot with also?

• Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    Don't Worry - Not Eligible At All
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I agree with Rutt here... Frames are for prettying up when putting on a wall, not for tying a photo together or fixing a composition.
    On dgrin we have the example of Andy, a true pro and artist who does use digital frames. Andy is a fine example, but I want to point out some other examples, just so people can understand that it is not mandatory to frame in order for an image to look finished. Fred Miranda's work is pretty darn nice, and he doesn't frame:

2sunrise.jpg

And aren't we glad this isn't elegible?

Someone else who doesn't frame and who we are glad we don't have to compete with is Michael Reichmann:

lake-landing-thumb.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    On dgrin we have the example of Andy, a true pro and artist who does use digital frames. Andy is a fine example, but I want to point out some other examples, just so people can understand that it is not mandatory to frame in order for an image to look finished. Fred Miranda's work is pretty darn nice, and he doesn't frame:

You scared me.. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    You scared me.. eek7.gif
    Pretty scary, eh? Dig around in their galleries for a while. Depending on your mood and personality it can either be inspiring or totally deflating.

But back to my point, would a frame help these images or diminish them?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:

2sunrise.jpg
    I'd love to know where this was taken. Doesn't look like earth.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'd love to know where this was taken. Doesn't look like earth.
    Here is where I found it. Ask Fred.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:

2sunrise.jpg

And aren't we glad this isn't elegible?

Someone else who doesn't frame and who we are glad we don't have to compete with is Michael Reichmann:

lake-landing-thumb.jpg
    Both of these images are quite lovely and create, in me at least, a profound sense of calmness. Is it the colors perhaps, or the composition, or just what? I admire both of these fellows for their ability to see quite compelling images. They make it look so easy - Like watching Jay Maisel shoot color - He picks out small portions of a scene and creates a masterpiece of colors. I read M Reichman's site daily.

About frames again, John, your point is takenlickout.gif

• Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Pretty scary, eh? Dig around in their galleries for a while. Depending on your mood and personality it can either be inspiring or totally deflating.

But back to my point, would a frame help these images or diminish them?

Simple; they don't need any!