Options

>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2004
    Been stuck in side and evacuated my home to avoid hurricane Charley. Not much wide angle shooting for me. Finally ventured out to the beach today and the clouds were nasty.

mitch
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2004
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2004
    Love this shot, but my monitor does not see the bucket
    lynnesite wrote:
    It's cool to distort if that's what you're setting out to do--unfortunately a lot of people try to take "good" closeup photos of horses and fail. Lens has to be more than 70mm (and better if a lot longer) to not distort them.7257522-S.jpg

I love this shot Lynne, but for the life of me, I cannot see a bucket. I had trouble with Snappy's mtn range separation, too. So I think I am seeing things a bit differently on my monitor than the rest of you.

Does anyone know an easy way to just turn the light up a bit on a monitor?
    I don't want to get into full calibration, or anything. Just turn the light up a bit. If I could just barely see the bucket here, I would think I was about where the rest of you are on light level.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2004
    A few from this afternoon . . .
    7355639-L.jpg

7355649-L.jpg

7355663-L.jpg
    Tim
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2004
    A Big Wide DGrin (dogs grin)
    7359268-L.jpg

Tim
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 16, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    7359268-L.jpg

Tim
    Good looking Dog Tim!

I have been shooting wide angle sunsets 31mm lens equivalent

7362763-M.jpg

And a vertical

7362558-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Good looking Dog Tim!7362763-S.jpg

I have been shooting wide angle sunsets 31mm lens equivalent

And a vertic
    I love this sunset, Pathfinder. It looks like there is a lot of room to take them, there, smile. Do you have to drive to get them?

I used to live front beach on the ocean here. The sunrises were like that sunset there. Not much to frame it with on the ocean, unless I went down to the dunes. I didn't do that.

That is beautiful. The vertical is nice, too, but I like the sunset better.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    Chess set 18mm by ginger
    I found another reflection, in a window. At 18mm, but I like it, the couple is even carrying an umbrella. You all know I said I was going to look for these things.

7349968-M.jpg

The Poster

7349965-M.jpg

The Movie Theater

7349964-M.jpg

Chess Set 2

7349969-M.jpg
    All 18 mm by ginger
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Lynnesite, I have to be blunt, the horse shots are great, but the subject matter is getting a bit tiresome to me. Great composition, great lighting, great scenery.. but the horses, I don't know, just not doing it for me week after week, so I tend to skim over them. Maybe it's just me.

That's cool. Last challenge my entry was unclaimed luggage, though. ;-)
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    That's cool. Last challenge my entry was unclaimed luggage, though. ;-)
    Oh yeah. See, I told you it may be just me. :)

Doug
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    7307378-S.jpg
    Perfect! I wouldn't change a thing. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    7349966-S.jpg
    Ginger,

I think PF is right... you should try this one as a grainy black and white. I think it will be the finishing touch on a great image.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    7359268-S.jpg
    Tim
    Tim, I really like this shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Ginger,

I think PF is right... you should try this one as a grainy black and white. I think it will be the finishing touch on a great image.
    Thanks, Cletus, will do later............I posted it as is: in The Challenge. Will try the black and white, too, later.

Am just happy I "saw" the shot, for now. And sad for my other shots.

Going to have coffee, and I will try it out in black and white, then post it for others to see and comments. But later, I have a week.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    7355639-S.jpg

7355649-S.jpg

7355663-S.jpg
    Harvey,

#1 is my favorite, with #2 close behind. The only thing keeping #2 from being my first pic is the fact that the man is almost silhouetted but not quite. Maybe it's just a personal thing ne_nau.gif

#3 just doesn't grab me. I'm not sure why. Maybe I keep looking for some interaction between the boy and the plane ne_nau.gif

By the way is that Buford T. Justice standing behind the boy? :D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    Boy & Dog
    I've been finding this challenge, err, challenging. I already knew that it was hit or miss with my WA lens. The little hint about having a strong foreground element, doesn't seem to correspond to my best WA images (like the Yellowstone Reflections entry.) Look at Penelope's image that Andy posted! This is one beautiful WA shot, and were is the foreground image?

Anyway, I do seem to be good at using WA to make my subjects seem a small part of a huge enviornment. Here are a few I took yesterday of my son and dog.

21mm:

7378275-L.jpg

21mm:

7378197-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    Dog in Jeep
    Longer is easier for me, but not as on message:

46mm:

7378514-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    I'm not sure which Ice Cream Man composition I like better... This:
    7377718-L.jpg

Or this:
    7377719-L.jpg

I also got this shot over the weekend. I'm not completely happy with the framing of the shot, but considering I nearly got sick taking this picture, I wasn't in a hurry to reshoot:
    7377720-L.jpg

By the way, all three images were shot at 35mm.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    The Optimist
    I'm told this kind of tiny sailboat is called an "Optimist". It's sort of the mini of sailboats, at least in terms of size. Probably not in terms of performance. This family towed theirs across the harbor with a Zodiac.

21mm:

7378487-L.jpg

21mm:

7378424-L.jpg

21mm:

7378513-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    7377720-S.jpg

Eric, forget the ice cream man and enter this! I love the framing just the way it is. Yeah, I know she is cut off on the bottom and a little on the left, but it makes it more interesting and also conveys the sickness you felt. (I have to recover for hours from a ride in a merry-go-round, myself.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    This speaks to me as an avid beach walker. I think you could recover some detail in the black shoes and in the sky with PS/CS shadow/highlight followed by LAB curves. This is a dramatic picture and calls for dramatic color and contrast. See this thread on LAB curves and this thread on shadow/highlight.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2096&stc=1
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I've been finding this challenge, err, challenging. I already knew that it was hit or miss with my WA lens. The little hint about having a strong foreground element, doesn't seem to correspond to my best WA images (like the Yellowstone Reflections entry.) Look at Penelope's image that Andy posted! This is one beautiful WA shot, and were is the foreground image?

Anyway, I do seem to be good at using WA to make my subjects seem a small part of a huge enviornment. Here are a few I took yesterday of my son and dog.

21mm:

7378197-S.jpg
    I would probably like to see this shot with the camera pointed more to the right, opening up the expanse on that side and reducing (but not eliminating) the bulk on the left. Just a thought...

7378513-S.jpg
    Maybe I would prefer this one less centered also. The colors and depth are fantastic.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2097&stc=1

I like this quite a bit. My comments about shadow/highlght and LAB curves also apply here. I think you can open up the detail in the waves, make them greener, and lose none of the drama. In fact LAB steepening will light up the blue in the sky and make the sand pinker. You can play with the L curve after shadow/highlight to get recover the black in the sky, which I think is important here.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

7378197-Th.jpg

I would probably like to see this shot with the camera pointed more to the right, opening up the expanse on that side and reducing (but not eliminating) the bulk on the left. Just a thought...
    I thought I was pretty brave as it was when I shot it. I don't remember what's to the right, but I think it might be something ugly. Vertical might have been the way to go (kneeling.) But I don't love the shot as much as I love seeing it live. Sigh.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    Been stuck in side and evacuated my home to avoid hurricane Charley. Not much wide angle shooting for me. Finally ventured out to the beach today and the clouds were nasty.
    mitch
    Mitch...

I really like the shot of the beach with the sandals... Very nice...
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    7378513-Th.jpg

Maybe I would prefer this one less centered also. The colors and depth are fantastic.
    BTW, this is my least favorite of the three Optimist shots. I included it only because WA made the little boat seem so small and the seascape so huge. But I don't think it really conveys how very "optimistic" the boat and it's passengers are.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Mitch...

I really like the shot of the beach with the sandals... Very nice...
    ginette
    nod.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I also got this shot over the weekend. I'm not completely happy with the framing of the shot, but considering I nearly got sick taking this picture, I wasn't in a hurry to reshoot:
    7377720-S.jpg

Wow... I love this shot... great focus on the womans face, wonderful movement in the background. I like the composition, shows her moving through the frame. I love it.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 16, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I'm not sure which Ice Cream Man composition I like better... This:

Or this:
    7377719-L.jpg

How about this - it puts the vendors head in the upper right third - and gives a nice diagonal eye movement across the image. Just a quick thought - this is a cute image - but Andy said no cropping for the challenge - crop only with your feet - that's why I like longer lenses I thinkrolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    7355639-S.jpg

7355649-S.jpg

7355663-S.jpg
    Great subject. I think the framing is a problem in the first two, but I like the boy and plane a lot. I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here, but shadow/highlight can help this image a lot. I'm finding it really invaluable for WA because it's hard to get correct exposure over such a wide area (especially in daytime.)

Here is you shot after shadow/highlight at 22/75/30:

7381418-L.jpg

Then I converted to LAB and used the L curve to recover a little more detail in the engine. And used the sharpen tool to bring up the light spots in the engine.

7381419-L.jpg

I think it would be better still if you could somehow get some of the boy's eyes. I have a feeling they are "pilot blue".
    If not now, when?