Options

>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    7386831-S.jpg7387307-S.jpg

PS/CS shadow/highlight to the rescue here. I used 23/70/30 on your B&W image. I'll bet if you do this before you convert to B&W you can get much better quality. What did you do to make the conversion? Perhaps there is some improvement available there as well. Have you read the old Photoshop forum assignment about B&W conversions? I learned a lot from that assignment. There is a lot more to it than you might think. If you can get it, read the chapter "Friend and Foe in Black and White" in Dan Margulis' Professional Photoshop book.

Tim
    [/QUOTE]
    At least the dog doesn't have nose hairs! HAHAHAHA! I do see a huge improvement, except in my ability to see the nose openings, so well and so big.

Other than that, it is 100% better, and I do like it!clap.gif

Maybe you can tell him to hold his breath and close his nostrils. In photoshop, of course, Laughing.gif.

ginger :D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    *** andy traveling this week ***
    guys i'm heading to the bay area again for a few days tues night thru friday night. my dgrin time will be limited, i'll sign in when i get the chance.

i'm giving sid (wxwax) my proxy to resolve / answer any questions or issues that come up.

keep shooting wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    Women Dining 18mm by ginger
    7395456-L.jpg

With Rutt's suggestions and some advice, this has been worked a bit. The only thing I didn't do was sharpen it. Will give that more thought. I want the women and diner to look a bit on the "down" side. So I think I might like this better than if I sharpened it.

Am going to put this version, I think improved, on The Challenge and sit over night on it.

ginger
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    46mm:

7271493-L.jpg
    You know what would of been cool, if there were footprints in the sand leading over the hill.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    7395456-L.jpg

With Rutt's suggestions and some advice, this has been worked a bit. The only thing I didn't do was sharpen it. Will give that more thought. I want the women and diner to look a bit on the "down" side. So I think I might like this better than if I sharpened it.

Am going to put this version, I think improved, on The Challenge and sit over night on it.

ginger
    Ginger I think you are correct, the muted colors look better than a b&w would.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I also got this shot over the weekend. I'm not completely happy with the framing of the shot, but considering I nearly got sick taking this picture, I wasn't in a hurry to reshoot:
    7377720-S.jpg

By the way, all three images were shot at 35mm.
    Hehe, this shot makes me want to go weeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I love it!
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey - another local! I wasn't able to make it to the show this weekend, but I had several spies there. this is a cool shot, but since this is a photoshop-ok challenge, i'd give it a little pop with some color enhancement. Good clarity and contrast already - nice!
    Yup, and if you're into planes, you may want to think about Sept. 11th weekend to make a roadtrip to Maine. It's a haul, but it may provide for some excellent photo opportunities... http://www.seaplanefly-in.org/

I think I got this one it where I want it. Thanks for the pointers and feedback everyone.

7399263-L.jpg
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    SmiLe!!!
    There have been so many beautiful shots, that I thought I'd have a little fun.
    Whenever you're riding in the car with my daughter SuMMer, you can well expect to have fun. We were sitting in traffic, waiting for a ship to cross under the bridge, and she began making faces at the other drivers... Heavens someone should be staring at her... Then she really makes faces... SmiLe, all.
    Comments?
    ginette

7405977-L.jpg

ginger... I really think your image of the two ladies in the diner with the Marilyn Monroe photo, is perfect.
    Dugmar... I think the airplane tail end is great... Love the contrast against the blue sky and clouds.
    Cletus... "Weeeee" is a great name for a fantastic shot!!! It's terrific!
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    7405977-S.jpg
    AltPro wrote:
    There have been so many beautiful shots, that I thought I'd have a little fun.
    Whenever you're riding in the car with my daughter SuMMer, you can well expect to have fun. We were sitting in traffic, waiting for a ship to cross under the bridge, and she began making faces at the other drivers... Heavens someone should be staring at her... Then she really makes faces... SmiLe, all.
    Comments?
    ginette

ginger... I really think your image of the two ladies in the diner with the Marilyn Monroe photo, is perfect.
    Dugmar... I think the airplane tail end is great... Love the contrast against the blue sky and clouds.
    Cletus... "Weeeee" is a great name for a fantastic shot!!! It's terrific!

Thank you, Ginette. I think your daughter is pretty cool, too. Does she have a slight green cast? Never can tell with my monitor.

She could be a great entry! Different for someone not on an amusement park torture device.

I had a dog named Summer. Rehomed her in May, too many dogs, really, have the three now, good thing with all the photography I am doing. And they are in crates all the time I am gone.

So, tell your Summer how fortunate she is, no crate when you are gone?, and no chance of rehoming.

Great picture, smile. That is what it makes me do, smile. And we are up late again.

gingerclap.gif:D
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    7395456-S.jpg

ginger

I really think this is classic and works well in color, as is. Great job, Ginger.

I went out to play tonight. This first one made me weep; my lens "moves" a lot and I didn't notice it had crept out to 62mm. Could go back, I suppose.
    7411871-M.jpg
    this one was wide enough, but not nearly as compelling:
    7411997-M.jpg
    Old-style mailboxes for sale
    7411588-M.jpg
    and then one for dugmar, I can't resist this "horse on the porch" who was silver/gray but in the slanting last rays of the sun was golden along with his wagon.
    7412551-M.jpg

Lynne
    off the hill for a change
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I notice that Penleope's shot is after dark with artificial light and lots of deep black spaces ....... It, also, is a wide angle shot. Which do you think is more important for impact on the viewer, John? I know what I think...:D
    No doubt she found a great scene and shot it under great light. But the wide angle composition is supurb as well. There is no strong foreground element, yet the picture isn't dull at all, quite the contrary. She is making negative space work which give the whole a containing simplicity and keeps the numerous elements from becoming a riot.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    The Optimist Reloaded
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Come on! i've seen you do some neat stuff! thumb.gif
    OK, I took it as a challenge. In this context the optimist looks a lot more optimisitc. What do you think?

7417432-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    I love the color in the foreground.
    rutt wrote:
    OK, I took it as a challenge. In this context the optimist looks a lot more optimisitc. What do you think?

7417432-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    OK, I took it as a challenge. In this context the optimist looks a lot more optimisitc. What do you think?7417432-S.jpg
    Rutt, I think it is a good idea, in that the boat is well framed now. Is the sky from something else, or is it one of those that comes with a program?

It looks a bit too much like a sponge did it, like my daughter does her bathroom walls, but that may just be in my mind, since I saw it before. I think that framing is a good idea, and I would keep with it. (How about fog)

You know in layers there is a color pallette that is gradiated, it has fog, it also has some really good colors. Why don't you try one at a time. I did that for fun last week, .............. I know how that could be fun, I don't know. I had been reading a book, and if you hit on two keys at the same time, the thing changes and does something, so I was doing it. Plus that other thing.

I think the idea is very good, but not quite realized yet.

ginger

(Would you send me a copy of the window shot for my collection of personal favorites. I will hit on some other people, too.)

Gubbs? You come to mind. Your wife, reflected, green.
    If you all sent me one of the ones I really like, I could start my own personal art gallery.

Lynnesite, I like all the toys from last night. Now that you have played a bit, why don't you enter the mother and foal. I know that someone is tired of horse shots, but I am not crazy about ................something. Race cars, etc.

You just happen to have taken advantage of that happening and took a really good horse shot, something that is your forte. I am proud that I know someone who takes those really good horse shots. They might not win all the time, but well, I would like a five by seven of the mother and foal.

You do have a pro site, I would imagine, I do, too, but my shots are very cheap, inexpensive. I would not think that others would be.

ginger again.
    Time for coffee
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    No doubt she found a great scene and shot it under great light. But the wide angle composition is supurb as well. There is no strong foreground element, yet the picture isn't dull at all, quite the contrary. She is making negative space work which give the whole a containing simplicity and keeps the numerous elements from becoming a riot.
    Who is Penleope, and where is this shot?

Re this foreground element. well, I have used it in the mtns, may try to find a photo and scan it, from my old days, when no one had digital, and I could afford to go to the mtns. When I used it, it was often rocks in front of a waterfall, or trees to give perspective to a giant mtn. Etc. Can be used in a market, fruit and stuff works well.

But usually, IMO, it is used to enhance another element. It may be great, but it is only one way to shoot wide, IMO. One problem I might have with that right now is my lens is really not as wide as my lens used to be on the SLR. That lens allowed for more wide "screaming".

I do have an unentered wide angle, shot for this challenge, not entered, yet, that I will put up...............I really like it, and it does have a foreground element. It is kind of like Rutt's shot of his son. I will do it when I get a chance, am not awake. And another grey day, hope it burns off. Want to go to the market and get a "perfect" shot of little girls dancing, where I don't cut anyone off on the sidelines.

ginger
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    7417432-S.jpg
    Nice work rutt! I really like this shot. I think you've got it ready to move over to the challenge thread! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    ginger, dude .. re: penelope
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Who is Penleope, and where is this shot?
    ginger

penelope duns, is your guest judge for this challenge. her shot is below mine in the main challenge thread, it was the winner over at the sony forum challenge, #70, "wide-angle" :D
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    7417432-S.jpg
    rutt wrote:

what about something like this?

7420303-M.jpg

I remembered how everything was greenish before our storm. So I duplicated in layers, put a green, kind of a dead medium green, layer over it, and blended it in with color burn, took it down to a lower opacity, didn't write it down.
    I kind of like this.
    But it is the artist's call.

ginger/or anon depending on how you feel about someone messing with your photos. Oh, please don't be angry, and I didn't do anything about it, but it is possible that your image may be over sharpened. I did not bring it in large to look, but it might be.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    andy wrote:
    penelope duns, is your guest judge for this challenge. her shot is below mine in the main challenge thread, it was the winner over at the sony forum challenge, #70, "wide-angle" :D
    Thanks, Andy. That is a very memorable shot, fantastic, I don't even have to look it up. Loved it the first time I saw it.

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    Hi all I'm back from the woods.. couple of shots so far. Have to unpack stinky tent etc..
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    this is the color version...]
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    this is the color version...]
    Give this the LAB curves treatment and it will be a contender!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    I prefer this particular shot in color Lynne.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    I like the shot in color, too, Lynn. I wondered where you were. I remembered the "funk" and thought maybe you were doing something else.

OK...........so you were not!

Great too variations on a shot. Do like the color one. Don't know what Rutt is thinking with LAB Curves, probably something good.

Great to have found your site. Maybe we should each name ours, mumble, mumble, mumble.

ginger headscratch.gif

Sorry, Lynn. I guess I was lost, didn't realize that you were on the official critique thread.

Still like your pictures! clap.gif

Please disregard all the mumbles.

ginger
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    Hello all
    Well here goes, my first post. Exciting. I've been lurking for a bit courtesy of my friend dugmar. This is a great forum and I intend to participate as much as possible. I've been looking for good wide-angle moments since this challenge started and don't think I've had that magic moment yet, but here are some pics I've captured so far.

not quite full wide (29mm = 46mm on a canon 10D)
    IMG_5604.jpg

17mm = 27.2mm
    IMG_6064.jpg

17mm = 27.2mm
    IMG_6092.jpg
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    Well here goes, my first post. Exciting. I've been lurking for a bit courtesy of my friend dugmar. This is a great forum and I intend to participate as much as possible. I've been looking for good wide-angle moments since this challenge started and don't think I've had that magic moment yet, but here are some pics I've captured so far.

not quite full wide (29mm = 46mm on a canon 10D)

17mm = 27.2mm

17mm = 27.2mm
    Hi, Johnny. I like your shots, particularly the first one. Hope you enjoy it here, we are delighted to have new faces, er, photographers.

ginger
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 17, 2004
    rutt wrote:

7417432-L.jpg
    I like this a lot - I would not change anything - the green in the water catches my attention nicely and the sky is foreboding enough.1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 17, 2004
    All right - I may have found a frame I like - I am sure it is not to everyone's tastes, but I find it compelling in a certain kind of way. It is in color and B&W so Rut and others can chose which they prefer. I am open to all sorts of honest criticism.

7410087-L.jpg

7410430-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    My man! Many of you may know John from his photodocumented trans-US and New Zealand motorcycle trips that I linked to here on Dgrin.com a few times.

Doug
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    Gee willikers, I'm a celebrity already! ;)

dugmar wrote:
    My man! Many of you may know John from his photodocumented trans-US and New Zealand motorcycle trips that I linked to here on Dgrin.com a few times.

Doug
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.