Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #6

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Fine Bottled WaterFine Bottled Water Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the FR, FBW! Not sure if we'll do this or not - Journal was created to have a really simple, clean look to it. You might try putting a friendly not in your gallery descriptions, saying, leave a comment by clicking on the pic. Or, you could put a link in each photo caption, which would take them to the single image view...

I agree that one of Journal's benefits is the fact that it's very simple and clean. But I don't think the sample image makes it look clustered or busy at all. It's very subtle, but a constant hint to utilize the comment function.

I just don't think the comment function receives enough play. I do have a note on my frontpage suggesting people leave comments, how to do so, etc., but that only goes so far.
  • Options
    Fine Bottled WaterFine Bottled Water Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Please leave that decision to the user. It would help a lot to see that there's already a heated discussion about a particular image directly in Journal view. Seeing that others have already commented would also encourage visitors to leave a comment themselves or they're just curious what others thought about that picture. Having no visible feedback about comments in Journal makes me feel I'm missing out on something because I don't want to click every picture just to see that there's no comment to read.
    With that it would also be easier to keep track of possible answears. Like when I was the first to leave a comment I would instantely see the next time I visit the Journal if the photographer or someone else left a note without having to click every picture I commented on in order to see if there's a response.

Who's with me on that?

Thanks,
    Sebastian

I second everything you said. Good post. thumb.gif
  • Options
    camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Two issues with keywording:

1. I'd like to be able to bulk-edit keywords across my whole site. All galleries.

2. I'd like to disable to keyword generation logic on upload, please.
  • Options
    garyjwoodgaryjwood Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    Two issues with keywording:

1. I'd like to be able to bulk-edit keywords across my whole site. All galleries.

What he said.
    - Gary
    Galleries: http://garyjwood.smugmug.com
    Photo of the Day: http://blog.garyjwood.com
    Location-enabled and interactive!
  • Options
    bmcent1bmcent1 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Slideshow Improvement -- Caption and other controls via URL
    I love the slideshow. However, I have to give people extra instructions when I send the link to tell them how to turn on captions. (Not obvious if you don't wiggle the mouse.) I'm requesting a way to make the slideshows default to display captions for any photos that have them, or a way to turn this on in the URL to the slideshow (ie http://...&captions=on)

Similar control for delay would be nice too -- ie, override default delay in the slideshow via the URL, something like:
    http://...&captions=on&delay=5
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    bmcent1 wrote:
    I love the slideshow. However, I have to give people extra instructions when I send the link to tell them how to turn on captions. (Not obvious if you don't wiggle the mouse.) I'm requesting a way to make the slideshows default to display captions for any photos that have them, or a way to turn this on in the URL to the slideshow (ie http://...&captions=on)

Similar control for delay would be nice too -- ie, override default delay in the slideshow via the URL, something like:
    http://...&captions=on&delay=5
    Thanks for the suggestion. Did you know, btw, you can set the default for the slideshow delay, in your customization, if you are a power or a pro user:

you simply put this in y our javascript section of your customization panel:

slideDuration = 10; (change the number to whatever seconds you wish)...
  • Options
    bmcent1bmcent1 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Did you know, btw, you can set the default for the slideshow delay, in your customization, if you are a power or a pro user:

you simply put this in y our javascript section of your customization panel:

slideDuration = 10; (change the number to whatever seconds you wish)...

Good to know, but I'm no pro... just a lowly paying customer ;-) ... seriously though, this doesn't seem like a poweruser option, it seems like a pretty standard feature for a slideshow. I may upgrade later, but there are things about Smugmug (response time for one) which I would like to see improved before I'm comfortable upgrading. On the whole though, do appreciate this service!

A follow-on request for linking back to the gallery from a slideshow... would be nice to enable people to easily order prints. As is, I like to send links to friends/family to the slideshows rather than the galleries, its better to view the pics full screen. But then I end up sending two links, one for the slideshow and another in case they want to order prints.

The caption allows links (A HREF="") in gallery mode but removes the hyperlink in slideshow mode. It would be great if this worked in the slideshow! Otherwise, maybe a link in the footer or menu bar back to the gallery would be appreciated!
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    minor bug or suggestion... you decide - it's an inconsistancy thing for logged-in users.

On the front page the Timeline, Featured Galleries, and Gallery Categories sections all have "display: show · hide" available to them and are toggleable (is that a proper word?).

the Keywords, Friends & Family and Communities sections instead have "remove from homepage" and then not appearing to have any way to bring 'em back.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    minor bug or suggestion... you decide - it's an inconsistancy thing for logged-in users.

On the front page the Timeline, Featured Galleries, and Gallery Categories sections all have "display: show · hide" available to them and are toggleable (is that a proper word?).

the Keywords, Friends & Family and Communities sections instead have "remove from homepage" and then not appearing to have any way to bring 'em back.

Go to your control panel and scroll down to the bottom. You'll see that the keywords, friends and family and communities sections are there waiting to get re-added to the homepage.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Go to your control panel and scroll down to the bottom. You'll see that the keywords, friends and family and communities sections are there waiting to get re-added to the homepage.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I know, my point was that there are multiple sections but there's not one consistant interface for adding/removing them.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Let's see... to perfect the cart :D ...

* Speed it up so that 300+ pics can be easily ordered.
    * Add better navigation
    Cindy, you should be noticing a much zippier cart, yes? And the navigation changes recently made.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    caseserve wrote:
    Please put lists in alphabetical order. For example when moving photos from one gallery to another you are presented with a list of galleries to move the selected photos to. It would be helpful if the list was in alphabetical order.

Thanks,

Are you aware, that you can just type "S" and you'll be taken to all the "esses" in your list? Just keep tapping till you get the one you want mwink.gif
This discussion has been closed.