Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #6

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Can we have a way to change the pubdate in the RSS feeds? I have been trying out a RSS email service and it looks at the pubdate field to detect changes to the feed. If the date does not change, it does not detect the changes.

After reading the RSS specifications it appears that the pubdate is supposed to change when the content changes. SM uses a lastbuilddate that is optional and is ignored by other services.

There are several of us that are trying to implement a subscription email notification feature that depends on this feature.

The discussion was held here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24934

and here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25496

Thanks, Doc. I've made sure that our Product Manager has seen this!
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Can we have a way to change the pubdate in the RSS feeds? I have been trying out a RSS email service and it looks at the pubdate field to detect changes to the feed. If the date does not change, it does not detect the changes.

Related issue: sitewide subscriptions: the sitewide feed should update whenever a photo or gallery is added or updated.

Reference thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25496
  • Options
    clennyclenny Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    I just want a link to the comments and the # of comments that each photo has in "Journal" mode. This would be a ridiculously easy feature to add but I'm not sure how wanted it is so not sure if it'll get done.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Gallery clean...
    Is it Possible to be able to ahve a default "Gallery Clean" button thru the Control Panel, instead of having to tic it for each and every gallery we make? Please...Please.....:cry

Dekuji mockrat.

Art
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    ART SCOTT wrote:
    Is it Possible to be able to ahve a default "Gallery Clean" button thru the Control Panel, instead of having to tic it for each and every gallery we make? Please...Please.....:cry

Dekuji mockrat.

Art

Art, you can do this already. Set you gallery settings, the exact way you want them. Be sure the radio button for CLEAN is checked YES. Go up top on the gallery customization screen, and you'll see a se a box where there's a dropdown menu... "save below settings as"..... give it a name, and click save.

Now, when you make new galleries, apply this template and you'll be "clean" :D

Andy
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Date in image info section
    I would like to have the date and time (wouldn't that be a good use of the upcoming timezone fuctionality?! :D ) of the photo displayed optionally instead of having to click on EXIF Infos.

Also what about having some sort of optional download link to provide people on dial-up with the possebility to download a whole album at once so they can disconnect afterwards and have a look at the gallery without the onlinecounter sitting behind them ticking - a offline browsing feature or offline slideshow. I can see some good use in it for family photo sharing. All files in one package optimized for size quickly downloaded instead of manually clicking on every page waiting to load, look at it and then click the next page.
    Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Journal gallery type with variable sized images
    The journal gallery is smugmug's closest approximation to illustrated text. That's the reason Andy chose it for the dgrin tutorials, for example.

Wouldn't it be great if the displayed size for each image could be set individually, if not in pixels at least to the smugmug small, medium, large, and original sizes.

Right now it is possible to make the journal images as small as one likes buy just uploading smaller images, but they cannot be larger than smugmug small images (whatever that is, max width 400, max height 300?) And they all have exactly the same size limit.

The proposed extension would allow some images to be much larger, perhaps spanning a page while other images could still be very small. The result would be offer greater flexibility, and allow much more of the power of the illustrated text in books and magazines.

One very simple implementation is to have a gallery property original size inline in journal style (or have a variation of the journal style with this writed in.) Then the gallery owner could just upload the image sizes s/he actually wanted. A more sophisticated implementation would add an image property for inline size.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Art, you can do this already. Set you gallery settings, the exact way you want them. Be sure the radio button for CLEAN is checked YES. Go up top on the gallery customization screen, and you'll see a se a box where there's a dropdown menu... "save below settings as"..... give it a name, and click save.

Now, when you make new galleries, apply this template and you'll be "clean" :D

Andy
    Thanks ....Defintely not a computer whiz...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    I'm a newly converted keyword lover. Woo-hoo!

Anyway, I'm having one problem with the keywords. Here's what I do:

1) Click "David" to find a shot of me on my trike for the Old Photos Game.

2) Now I want to add a keyword to my search, so that I can refine it, so I click on "+scanned"

Here's the problem: When I do (1) I have the option to "view in gallery" and to edit the keywords. As soon as I enter (2) I lose the option of doing those things.

Well, I'm looking for the photo so that I can get the link, and now I'm at a point where the search has done me no good, because the link is unavailable to me...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Journal Style
    rutt wrote:
    The journal gallery is smugmug's closest approximation to illustrated text. That's the reason Andy chose it for the dgrin tutorials, for example.

Wouldn't it be great if the displayed size for each image could be set individually, if not in pixels at least to the smugmug small, medium, large, and original sizes.

Right now it is possible to make the journal images as small as one likes buy just uploading smaller images, but they cannot be larger than smugmug small images (whatever that is, max width 400, max height 300?) And they all have exactly the same size limit.

The proposed extension would allow some images to be much larger, perhaps spanning a page while other images could still be very small. The result would be offer greater flexibility, and allow much more of the power of the illustrated text in books and magazines.

One very simple implementation is to have a gallery property original size inline in journal style (or have a variation of the journal style with this writed in.) Then the gallery owner could just upload the image sizes s/he actually wanted. A more sophisticated implementation would add an image property for inline size.

are you a lawyer? ...just kidding :):

I'm with you on this one.. (I am sure Andy was waiting to hear from me... rolleyes1.gif)

I've simplified this request as Journal Medium and Journal Large

Here is an example from clubphoto which would be similar to Journal Medium. See how you can scroll through all 38 pics at once.... no hitting Next, Next, Next (of course, clubphoto is not as good as smugmugmwink.gif , and is running slow today, but you'll get the idea)

I know... this has been requested before
    I know... smugmug won't say if they like the idea
    I know... smugmug won't say if, or when, they would implement this idea (for competitive reasons)

but, it is worth repeating.... in my opinion of course. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    are you a lawyer? ...just kidding :):

I'm a nerd. I guess this was a design document, not a contract proposal.
    Why think I was a lawyer?
    dmc wrote:
    I've simplified this request as Journal Medium and Journal Large
    My proposal is a little different in that I'd like to be able to specify a size for each picture individually. But short of that Journal Large would work because I could just upload the actual size I wanted, Large or smaller.
    dmc wrote:
    I know... this has been requested before
    I know... smugmug won't say if they like the idea
    I know... smugmug won't say if, or when, they would implement this idea (for competitive reasons)

Didn't know it was requested before. Wish they would tell us which ideas they like but aren't doing because of priority vs which when they'll do only when hell freezes over. Might cut down on the repeat requests to have a FAQ for this somewhere: Stuff we'll get around to someday and stuff we're never gonna do and don't want to hear about again.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I Wish they would tell us which ideas they like but aren't doing because of priority vs which when they'll do only when hell freezes over. Might cut down on the repeat requests to have a FAQ for this somewhere: Stuff we'll get around to someday and stuff we're never gonna do and don't want to hear about again.

Hi Rutt,

I think we give a very fair assessment of new ideas and features as they come up. I can tell you, that there are many things in line ahead of this. Things that we've said what you are asking above - e.g., "we like it, we'll work on it..." and the like.

We'll never make such a list that you are asking, we don't want others to know exactly what we're doing, number one - and we don't want to say "yeah, that's great- we'll have it for you in April" - and April comes and goes without it, for some unforeseen reason - and then you and many others are disappointed.

Thanks so very much for the valuable contributions, and do keep the ideas coming!
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm a newly converted keyword lover. Woo-hoo!

Anyway, I'm having one problem with the keywords. Here's what I do:

1) Click "David" to find a shot of me on my trike for the Old Photos Game.

2) Now I want to add a keyword to my search, so that I can refine it, so I click on "+scanned"

Here's the problem: When I do (1) I have the option to "view in gallery" and to edit the keywords. As soon as I enter (2) I lose the option of doing those things.

Well, I'm looking for the photo so that I can get the link, and now I'm at a point where the search has done me no good, because the link is unavailable to me...

Thanks for letting us know how you feel about this - I'm investigating a bit further.. thanks for your patience in advance!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Request Save Photo always displayed unless image protection on
    As discussed in this thread, the Save Photo link appears to only show in the gallery UI if the original is above some size threshold. That has created some confusion for some smugmug customers and for a number of users trying to figure out how to save a photo that doesn't have the Save Photo link. As shown by this end-user confusion, many users do not know or understand about the right-click/save as dialog on their browers and the Save Photo link helps them significantly (when it's there).

In discussing this issue in this thread, it seemed to me that Smugmug ought to just always display the Save Photo link, regardless of how large the original was, unless image protection was on. This would make the UI more consistent to end-users and customers and would have prevented confusion in the case discussed in this thread.

At Andy's request, I'm posting this summary in the feature request thead so those Smugmug employees who scan this for feature requests will be sure to see it. No further response required as we've already discussed it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I can tell you, that there are many things in line ahead of this. Things that we've said what you are asking above - e.g., "we like it, we'll work on it..." and the like.

Actually that was really good, Andy. "No" is the second best answer. The most frustrating answer is something like, "Great suggestion." Or, "Working on it." And then it doesn't happen. Or silence.
    Andy wrote:

We'll never make such a list that you are asking, we don't want others to know exactly what we're doing, number one

I hadn't thought of that. Good point! But then in return, please don't think you are being pestered if you get duplicate requests. There really is no good tool for figuring out whether an idea has already been suggested.
    Andy wrote:
    and we don't want to say "yeah, that's great- we'll have it for you in April" - and April comes and goes without it, for some unforeseen reason - and then you and many others are disappointed.

I wasn't expecting that kind of promise, just some sort of acknowledgment and honest assessment.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Tibu posted this over here at the tutorial thread for creating a bi-lingual site:
    tibu wrote:
    It would be much better that each element had an id. For example that the "help" html tag would be
    <a href="http://www.smugmug.com/help" class="nav" id="i18n.help">help</a>
    instead of
    <a href="http://www.smugmug.com/help" class="nav">help</a>

That should allow you to use the getElementById("i18n.help") method directly
    I agree that it would be really nice if you could slowly and one by one give us the control over the visible wording on a smugmug page. Doing this by introducing individual ID's for every element so it can be directly handled by JavaScript could be the first step. In spite of that the whole dual-language stuff isn't something you were planning it seems to get more interest of others which I find very nice.
    A possible future step I imagine is having the possebility to create UI templates (for the standard smugmug wording of the user interface) directly in the controlpanel that can then be dynamicly changed by using links in the footer or assigning them to a specific gallery or category, just like you did with themes. This would enable people to create language specific branches on their page that they could share with different language communities.
    And yes - I know that all of this isn't going to work with the shopping cart and I don't expect it to. For that people could create tutorials in the language of the language community or whatever they would like.

Thanks for listening,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2006
    Idea:

In Gallery Settings add an option to Keywords to "Use Keywords from Pictures"
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Idea:

In Gallery Settings add an option to Keywords to "Use Keywords from Pictures"

On a related note, In Edit Captions/Keywords - Bulk it would be great to be able to add the keywords to the gallery at the same time as the pictures.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    MikeFriedMikeFried Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    Customization/titles on keyword, gallery, category/sub-category, and links to them.
    bigwebguy suggested (in this thread) that I put this request here. Andy suggested (in this post) that I do something to my Galapagos Galleries similar to this journal style gallery by JenNYC which makes use of cute internal named anchor links in the title HTML. But I want to do more than just that.

I want to keep my gallery for each day of my trip structure. I organized it that way because we went to a different Island on each day, and I wanted to describe what happened each day in that day's album description. I want to this for other events that I add. For example, I will probably want to move my old trip to scandinavian europe to my smugmug site. I want the linking pages to show my gallery "albumDescription" below the link with the "albumTitle" (having the "albumTitle : albumDescription's text" as the Alt tag in Category pages was weird. I want to be able to add similar "descriptions" to Categories and Sub-Categories and Keywords pages.

I imagine that it would actually take less effort on smugmug's side to do this than it would take me to fake it. Basically, I want customizable pages. Why can't every page have a title like a gallery, and why can't every link to a category, subcategory, or gallery look like a featured gallery? I'm sure smugmug can find the data structures to store such information in on their side and implement the Ajax to maintain it. At the moment, I just want to be able to do it, not necessarily to write code against it.

There are ways to fake each and every thing which I described, but if I did such a thing, my settings in smugmug would get all out of whack. It would take a lot of effort, and it might not work on all browsers. I'm sure that other pro users desire similar flexibility in their account.

There are a few parts to my request. That doesn't mean I expect all of them to get done immediately, but I do think that this is the most important thing missing from my smugmug account. I realize that the smugmug employees have a life outside of work, and they work hard to make smugmug what it is. This is just my feedback on what I think they should do next to improve our experience.

-Mike
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2006
    MikeFried wrote:

There are a few parts to my request. That doesn't mean I expect all of them to get done immediately, but I do think that this is the most important thing missing from my smugmug account. I realize that the smugmug employees have a life outside of work, and they work hard to make smugmug what it is. This is just my feedback on what I think they should do next to improve our experience.

-Mike

Thanks Mike, for taking the time to make this request- and the details. I've made sure that our product manager and engineers have seen this.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    password protect an entire category?
    It would make my life a bit easier if we can password protect the entire gallery category, i.e. everything in family, wedding, etc.

Currently, we have to password protect each gallery inside of category for this to occur.
    This is mainly for my parents and it's a big pain to keep reminding them do this with each gallery that they create. It's much easier if I can set everything up for them, and let them upload without dealing with anything else, especially since the password is the same for each gallery inside the category.

Is this possible in the future? thanks.
  • Options
    ms9ms9 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    pls allow uploading in CR2 format
    Hi. I shoot in RAW mode with my Canon 20D. Part of the reason i use Smugmug is for a reliable backing-up of my photos for safe-keeping, but i can't do this 100% as i always have to retain the original CR2 raw file locally anyway (ie. after i upload a JPG version). It would be nice for Smugmug to support the CR2 format both in storage and for display natively, too, so we don't have to worry about this anymore. Thx.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    ms9 wrote:
    Hi. I shoot in RAW mode with my Canon 20D. Part of the reason i use Smugmug is for a reliable backing-up of my photos for safe-keeping, but i can't do this 100% as i always have to retain the original CR2 raw file locally anyway (ie. after i upload a JPG version). It would be nice for Smugmug to support the CR2 format both in storage and for display natively, too, so we don't have to worry about this anymore. Thx.

Hi ms9. I can safely say, that this won't happen. Sorry to disappoint you. We are not an archival service - yes we allow unlimited uploads of photos, but they must be in jpg format.

All the best,
  • Options
    tmanchestertmanchester Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Will "packages" or coupons ever be available?
    I'm just wondering how high it is on the priority list to offer:

1: multi size multi print packages for one price
    2: online coupons for Pros to distribute to their customers

I know this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if I could get an official comment other than "we're looking at it".

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006

I know this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if I could get an official comment other than "we're looking at it".

Thanks!

Hi Thomas,

They're both in the category of: "We'd like to, but don't know how we'll do them yet." There are gotchas with both of these FRs (which have been discussed, also). And as such, at the current time, they are behind other FRs which we know are wanted, and we have an idea about how we'll implement and build into the system. Of course, this can change. Thanks for telling us how important this is to you!

I hope this helps,
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006

Thanks!

Those are very important for me as well.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    sorta a solution to slow shopping cart
    I was thinking, if a person wants to buy a ton of photos the slowness of the shopping cart at doing that might lead them to close the window and try again repeatedly, repeatedly messing up their order. How about a little pop up that happens whenever a person pushes the next button thats in the add multiple photos to cart page that tells them please wait or something like that? Or maybe like a transition page like what expedia (don't use expedia btw, support your local travel angent) does when it searches?
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    I was thinking, if a person wants to buy a ton of photos the slowness of the shopping cart at doing that might lead them to close the window and try again repeatedly, repeatedly messing up their order. How about a little pop up that happens whenever a person pushes the next button thats in the add multiple photos to cart page that tells them please wait or something like that? Or maybe like a transition page like what expedia (don't use expedia btw, support your local travel angent) does when it searches?

Thanks for the FR!
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    Fr?

Feature Request.
This discussion has been closed.