Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #6

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    common data from smugmug.com
    I just had a look at the source code of some smugmug sites and figured that the common stuff (standard SM css, js includes, standard graphics like the logo, cart and cogs) is loaded from the username domain (e.g. rainforest1155.smugmug.com) instead of directly from smugmug.com. When one user browses multiply smugmug sites this stuff gets download multiply times, because the browser handles them as different files with the same names, which is okay, because he can't compare them in advance.

So why aren't you delivering all that stuff directly from smugmug.com so the browser would load it only once? The suggestion of course doesn't involve to do this on custom domains as well - that would be counterproductive. Just for the standard username subdomains. This should show a noticeable effect for dial-up users and saves you some of the bandwith you're giving us for free. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    show community link also *on* community site + individual messages
    I noticed that the community homepage-link is only shown on the page where all communities are listed and not with the community itself. Probably many people bookmark the community itself and therefore don't see the homepage-link again.
    So I would like to optionally also put it within the community page.

Another thing that just came to my mind: It would be nice for the community owners to be able to write a short summary, post some news or greet new members directly on the community page - like the bio on the normal SM frontpage. That would allow us to personalize the page a bit more.

Andy, you usually want a link to click on - so here are my two communities: Daily Photos and European Smugmuggers. :D

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    1. Another community based request - maybe this could be also useful on the keywordlist on the frontpage of every smugmug page:
      I've a keyword called "dailyphoto" that I assign to the every days photo. In my Daily Photo this is now by far the most used keyword and therefore the biggest. This seems unnecessary as the whole community is about that and this also just reflects my photos.

Long story short - I would like to have an option to disable keywords I don't want to see on the community page - some sort of filter function. Just give us a small textbox where we can enter those keywords we want to disappear - no need for a fancy GUI.
    2. Enlarge the textboxes for comments, captions and gallery descriptions! As I usually write everything (including the comments) in 2 languages it's hard to keep track on what I wrote in English in order to create a more or less accurate German translation of it or vice versa. Gets pretty anoying with longer comments.
      You might additionally consider the possebility to let the user zoom out the textbox into another browser window or tab like Gmail allows for writing mail.
    3. It always confused me that the latest comment automaticly gets number 1. That way you can't refer to another comment using the number of the comment. I would prefer having the numbers the other way around - in order of comment submittion.
    4. The day before yesterday I missed my comment control panel :cry again as Rutt joined the Daily Photos and gave me some serious and very much appreciated feedback on my latest photos. That way he could have seen that I already posted an answear to his comments. ;)
    That's all that came to my mind at the moment. I'll come back if new stuff starts to pop up - stay tuned. :D

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Thanks Sebastian, I'll make sure our product manager sees these requests. Thanks for taking the time to detail them out thumb.gif
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    One thing that I have recently ran into and would like to see as a feature request is that somehow incorporating the pros name into the email you send confirming the order. Sometimes I am not sure a customer realizes that are not reallly placing an order from XYZ Photographer, but from Smugmug. Maybe in the email you send out confirming the sale you could to something like this

Thanks for ordering from Smugmug the "print partner of XYZ Photographer."

For us photographer trying to brand our name, this is just as important as Smugmug trying to brand its name.

To me this would be a HUGE addition.

Obviously EZPrints has allowed you to do it with them.

Thanks
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    bham wrote:
    One thing that I have recently ran into and would like to see as a feature request is that somehow incorporating the pros name into the email you send confirming the order. Sometimes I am not sure a customer realizes that are not reallly placing an order from XYZ Photographer, but from Smugmug. Maybe in the email you send out confirming the sale you could to something like this

Thanks for ordering from Smugmug the "print partner of XYZ Photographer."

For us photographer trying to brand our name, this is just as important as Smugmug trying to brand its name.

To me this would be a HUGE addition.

Obviously EZPrints has allowed you to do it with them.

Thanks

Thanks for the feature request! One thing you can do is send a Thank You of your own, as soon as orders are made. Checking pro sales on your control panel daily is critical for this.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the feature request! One thing you can do is send a Thank You of your own, as soon as orders are made. Checking pro sales on your control panel daily is critical for this.

I do. But with 160 photos ordered in the last week I would really rather prefer if it could be automated within what Smugmug already does. And we are just starting out. Hopefully soon we will increase that 8 to 10 fold. It will really get out of hand to do that.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2006
    I finally had a short look at how my panorama gallery performs with LightBox. With those extra long pictures I think the user can get lost on how to get back to the gallery and end up closing the whole window and forget about my site. rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe you could make the little navbar float on the screen so that it's visible all the time while scrolling original pictures.
    I would definately like a little text stating that clicking the photo closes the pictures and brings you back to the gallery. I think that's not obvious at all.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2006
    I finally had a short look at how my panorama gallery performs with LightBox. With those extra long pictures I think the user can get lost on how to get back to the gallery and end up closing the whole window and forget about my site. rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe you could make the little navbar float on the screen so that it's visible all the time while scrolling original pictures.
    I would definately like a little text stating that clicking the photo closes the pictures and brings you back to the gallery. I think that's not obvious at all.

Thanks,
    Sebastian

Thanks RF, please wait till you see what's been mentioned here and here..
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks RF, please wait till you see what's been mentioned here and here..
    Thanks, I've read them, but didn't think of those posts while the idea popped to my mind. I'll wait and see on what you're working right now! 1drink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Timelines suggestion
    Guys,

the timeline's pretty cool. that's established. take a gander though at what 'that other site' does, maybe something to think about in the future.

a "real" calendar...
    FlickrCalendar.jpg

they use exif to show by the date taken...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/date-taken-calendar/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/archives/date-taken/2006/02/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/archives/date-taken/2006/02/detail/

or show by the date posted...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/date-posted-calendar/
    etc.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    Guys,

the timeline's pretty cool. that's established. take a gander though at what 'that other site' does, maybe something to think about in the future.

a "real" calendar...
    FlickrCalendar.jpg

they use exif to show by the date taken...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/date-taken-calendar/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/archives/date-taken/2006/02/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/archives/date-taken/2006/02/detail/

or show by the date posted...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/date-posted-calendar/
    etc.

Steven, thanks for showing this to us. It's pretty darn cool.
    Hey, this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/97420419/

Is just wonderful. Congrats on some fine photography, and a beautiful family!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Larger loupe in the critique view?
    I'm very intrigued by the critique view and think it shows some real innovation and promise. But, I find the loupe is just too small. It's a great idea so you can see if a particular area of the picture is really in focus or zero in on some detail all without having to go to the original view, but the loupe is just too small. I'd much rather see it 2x-3x the size it is now so I can really see a whole face or a whole object. As it is, it's just too small (at least when used on my 6MP images).

Is there anything to be lost by making it larger? Clearly when you are using the loupe, you aren't using the rest of the image for anything else other than navigating the loupe.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm very intrigued by the critique view and think it shows some real innovation and promise. But, I find the loupe is just too small. It's a great idea so you can see if a particular area of the picture is really in focus or zero in on some detail all without having to go to the original view, but the loupe is just too small. I'd much rather see it 2x-3x the size it is now so I can really see a whole face or a whole object. As it is, it's just too small (at least when used on my 6MP images).

Is there anything to be lost by making it larger? Clearly when you are using the loupe, you aren't using the rest of the image for anything else other than navigating the loupe.

Are you using the smugloupe on originals or Larges? Are you making it as big as possible by using the Left/Right arrows? I don't know how much larger it could actually be made and still have it be easy to move it around the photograph. Anyhow, thanks for the request, John!

http://www.smugmug.com/help/smugloupe
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    Guys,

a "real" calendar...
    FlickrCalendar.jpg

etc.
    I noticed this on Steven's website a few days ago and was also really impressed by it. With our growing daily photos / journal community, this would be a really neat feature.

nod.gif

ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ReneesEyesReneesEyes Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    1. 2nd the watermark request

2. How about the option for mounted prints? Anything 11 x 14 or larger has the potential to warp in a frame if not mounted on styrene or something.

Thanks!
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Smugmug (small) gallery style: Allow even number of pics
    Smugmug has 15 thumbnails, Smugmug_small has 9 thumbnails. This works, because 3 columns are used. Instead, i styled the thumbnails-section to use 2 rows.

This is my request:
    Can this number be 16 and 10 respectively? This makes even numbers and will fit nicely into 2 rows.

Thanks!
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    Smugmug has 15 thumbnails, Smugmug_small has 9 thumbnails. This works, because 3 columns are used. Instead, i styled the thumbnails-section to use 2 rows.

This is my request:
    Can this number be 16 and 10 respectively? This makes even numbers and will fit nicely into 2 rows.

Thanks!

Thanks Anton - though, you have a very unique site :D Say, why not put some unique image there in the empty spot, and have it there as an "easter egg?" -- use some CSS to style a nice floatie of some kind... deal.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006

This is my request:

Thanks!

I think 9 is the right number. But if it does change maybe it'd be better to have 12 in the small style rather than 10. That way it can be 4 rows of 3 columns and won't mess with the style too badly (i.e. 3 rows of 3 and 1 row of 1 - what it would be if there were 10 thumbs).

I think 15 is exactly the right number for the smugmug style.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I think 9 is the right number. But if it does change maybe it'd be better to have 12 in the small style rather than 10. That way it can be 4 rows of 3 columns and won't mess with the style too badly (i.e. 3 rows of 3 and 1 row of 1 - what it would be if there were 10 thumbs).

I think 15 is exactly the right number for the smugmug style.

Sorry, my request was not worded quite right:
    Can there be a choice in customization?
    Either as much thumbnails as you want (with a limit),
    or a choice between two:
    15 or 16 for Smugmug
    9 or 10 for Smugmug_small.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    Sorry, my request was not worded quite right:
    Can there be a choice in customization?

That's a better request. SmugMug Small has to fit on 800x600, remember.
  • Options
    itchyfeetitchyfeet Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Suggestion
    Hi

I don't think this is currently available, but I thought it would be a great idea if there could be the facility to have an INDEX page of some/all of the galleries in each person's smugmug (excluding thumbnails).

The reason being, showing galleries with the thumbnails occupies lots of space. Plus, as I add galleries to different subcategories at different times, it may become difficult for people to see which are the latest galleries (I used featured galleries in the past to identify the latest galleries). This is especially the case as I order my photos on the homepage by category, not gallery (because I have 150+ galleries!)

What do people think about this?

I think the index could be very simple, with just the text (linking to the gallery) giving the gallery title, maybe the category and subcategory, but more importantly, the date when added. As this is arranged in date order, it makes it very easy for people to see what has been added across ALL galleries without the complication of LOTS of galleries etc.

example:
    -Going to the beach, added 14 February 2006
    -Aunt's Birthday, added 10 February 2006

Let me know what you think

Only a suggestion!
    Thanks!

Elliot
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2006
    itchyfeet wrote:

Let me know what you think

Only a suggestion!
    Thanks!

Elliot

Thanks Elliot, for the suggestion. You know, you could do this now, for yourself - A simple private HTML gallery - with links in the description box, organized how you want it. Yes, it would take you a few minutes to set it up. But then, as you add galleries, it's a cinch to add them to the index - just a thought!
  • Options
    itchyfeetitchyfeet Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Elliot, for the suggestion. You know, you could do this now, for yourself - A simple private HTML gallery - with links in the description box, organized how you want it. Yes, it would take you a few minutes to set it up. But then, as you add galleries, it's a cinch to add them to the index - just a thought!

yeah - i thought of this too. but, it is a manual and tedious process. this could definitely be done, but couldn't smugmug do an automated page?

this would be especially tedious as i have 150+ galleries! to put them all in with HTML links is gonna be a pain!
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2006
    Request for Uploader enhancement
    This happens to me sometimes:

I'm uploading pics using either the 'universal' uploader, the Java-uploader or the Windows-only uploader. I read an e-mail or such, click on a link in the e-mail and AAARRRGGGHHH.... :D

... the link is opened in the browser that currently contains the uploader, which is busy uploading. And now this new link is openeing and it stops the ongoing upload.

Can the uploaders show a window that pops-up when the browser window closes/changes while an upload is going on. The pop-up can contain two buttons asking the user if (s)he want to continue uploading or not.

Thanks!

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    ReneesEyes wrote:
    1. 2nd the watermark request

2. How about the option for mounted prints? Anything 11 x 14 or larger has the potential to warp in a frame if not mounted on styrene or something.

Thanks!

Oooh, me too on both. I would love the option for mounting on gator, since my clients mostly aren't sophisticated enough to know they need it.

But the Numbah One thingie I am hope-hope-hoping happens soooooooon is Backprinting. It's simply killing me to have people buying prints where they have no clue about the image number for reorders--this is mostly for eventstuff, and the similars are nearly impossible to go through and guess, or I'd have put the gallery back up and get them to tell me which of the zillions it is. I really want a copyright statement as part of the backprinting, the order number is not very important compared to filename and copyright statement.

<whispers> also hoping for package pricing like those other pro guyz have some day!
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    lightbox "drag it" feature
    I think a feature that would make Lightbox a very cool tool would be if I could click and drag a large picture around within the frame (just like google maps) that would be awesome. thumb.gif (better than scrolling my browser around)
  • Options
    caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Alphabetize lists
    Please put lists in alphabetical order. For example when moving photos from one gallery to another you are presented with a list of galleries to move the selected photos to. It would be helpful if the list was in alphabetical order.

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    caseserve wrote:
    Please put lists in alphabetical order. For example when moving photos from one gallery to another you are presented with a list of galleries to move the selected photos to. It would be helpful if the list was in alphabetical order.

Thanks,

Thanks for the request, John! I love it.
  • Options
    eyesopeneyesopen Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 20, 2006
    shopping cart colors
    I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find the thread. My site (eyesopen.smugmug.com) has a white background. When a user goes to the shopping cart or "links, forums blogs" page, the style changes to the dafult blue text on black. This UI change is pretty jarring and destroys the illusion of a seamless co-branded site.

Given that I haven't found any sample sites that change the shopping cart style, I'm guessing this is not doable. I understand why user control over the ecommerce area is problematic. But breaking the user experience is a pretty serious issue for a commercial site. I'm not selling photos at the moment. But if I were, I would probably not use smugmug for this reason alone, even though I really love the site overall.

If full customization isn't possible, is there at least a way to choose the standard white background smugmug style? At least then the transition wouldn't be quite so jarring.

--Rob
This discussion has been closed.