Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #6

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    I'm new to smugmug, but I've already uploaded over 50,000 pictures and will probably run into some suggestions for improvements as I start to manipulate and arrange this massive library.

The only thing so far is something which has been mentioned in the past, but would be essential for me since I have over 400 albums in one gallery--alphabetical sorting for albums. (I did a search on "alphabetical" and came up with a few threads that mentioned it, but no other real information.)

Thank you for the service. I've looked for something like this for over a year. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    Nathan PhelpsNathan Phelps Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2006
    #1 Feature Request - Highlight Galleries, and Music for the Slide Shows
    My number one request is the ability to select images from an existing gallery to be in another gallery--a highlights gallery. Currently, to achieve this, I must upload the same image twice--once for each gallery. I know that I could achieve this effect by sorting by position and then placing the highlights images in the front. However, this is not what I want... I two different galleries sourced from the same images. My reasoning for this is that I want to archive the images in a master gallery, than have a highlights gallery which only contains the images people would actually be interested in browsing.

My number 2 request is the ability to add an MP3 soundtrack to a slideshow.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 22, 2006
    As a temporary fix until this type of feature can be programmed, I have keyworded my favorite photos with the word 'feature'. I then created a link to a search on the keyword 'feature'. I placed this link in my bio. I am going to modify the link tomorrow as I do not have the time now. But it allows you to leave the photos in the original galleries but feature them. This may not be the way you want it to work, but it works for me now. I am going to see if I can call a photo and make the link more obvious. I will probably add it to my navbar list.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    As a temporary fix until this type of feature can be programmed, I have keyworded my favorite photos with the word feature. I then created a link to a search on the keyword. I placed this link in my bio. I am going to modify the link tomorrow as I do not have the time now. But it allows you to leave the photos in the original galleries but feature them. This may not be the way you want it to work, but it works for me now. I am going to see if I can call a photo and make the link more obvious. I will probably add it to my navbar list.

thumb.gif excellent use of keywords, doc!
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Here are my three feature requests:

1. Improved gallery navigation. While I'm in gallery "x", I'd like to be able to jump to adjacent galleries "w" and "y" with Prev/Next buttons or something similar. My first thought would be to place these in the breadcrumb. The links would navigate within the current category.

2. Automatic square (or any preset ratio) thumbnail generation. This is mind-numbingly frustrating to do by hand, which is why I'm waiting for it to be implemented before I do it. :): If nothing else, please make these variables accessible for hackers to play with. mwink.gif

3. Allow users to extract selected exif data for automatic inclusion with a caption. I'm interested in the exif date specifically, but others might have other desired. I guess this could be thought of as a customization of the camera info displayed.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    wellman wrote:
    Here are my three feature requests:

1. Improved gallery navigation. While I'm in gallery "x", I'd like to be able to jump to adjacent galleries "w" and "y" with Prev/Next buttons or something similar. My first thought would be to place these in the breadcrumb. The links would navigate within the current category.

2. Automatic square (or any preset ratio) thumbnail generation. This is mind-numbingly frustrating to do by hand, which is why I'm waiting for it to be implemented before I do it. :): If nothing else, please make these variables accessible for hackers to play with. mwink.gif

3. Allow users to extract selected exif data for automatic inclusion with a caption. I'm interested in the exif date specifically, but others might have other desired. I guess this could be thought of as a customization of the camera info displayed.

Thanks for the requests! Have you thought of putting html links in your gallery descriptions as a way of handling number 1) above? :D
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    As a temporary fix until this type of feature can be programmed, I have keyworded my favorite photos with the word 'feature'. I then created a link to a search on the keyword 'feature'. I placed this link in my bio. I am going to modify the link tomorrow as I do not have the time now. But it allows you to leave the photos in the original galleries but feature them. This may not be the way you want it to work, but it works for me now. I am going to see if I can call a photo and make the link more obvious. I will probably add it to my navbar list.

When you do this, is there an RSS/Atom for the keyword-search gallery? I'm thinking this could be another way to do the "photo of the day idea". Each day I could either change the photo with the "daily photo" keyword or add the "daily photo" keyword to another photo. Would this work?
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    Gary, This actually could work. I am not where I can test it right now. Maybe tomorrow during a break at work..

Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Gary, It appears that this would work as a work around for now:

http://docwalker.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=userkeyword&NickName=docwalker&Data=pick%20of%20the%20day&format=rss200[IMG]chrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png[/IMG]

I keyworded the photo. I went back to my homepage and went to my keyword page. click on keyword to go to keyword gallery. The RSS feed link is at the bottom. It pulls the keyword gallery. If you put the keyword on a new photo, it will change.

Now, I am not sure if the pubdate will change. I will have to wait a day to see if that part will work. Because you are changing photos, it might.

I still wish that SM will get the pubdate part working.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    sberley wrote:
    Just to clarify what I meant by "skinnable." I realize the need to keep it clearly smugmug...but it would be great to have the ability to tune the color scheme, and style to match my site.

For example, it would be great to change the background and font colors for the cart, so I could have a black on beige site and cart, even if the cart's branding remains smugmug.

Steve
    I second this request.

And since I'm in the right thread and my mind is on it, here's what I've seen that could improve smugmug.
    • Improved Interface.
      • While you can find something if you know where it is, finding what you need to change can be a challenge. For example, some of the options for gallery customization options that affect other aspects of the site need have that information in the description along with what is already there. Perfect example--Hide Owner. It needs to say that this will disable customization and also hide your custom url. I ran into this problem and found quite a few threads on it too. If I had that information in the description, I would've known what I was doing when I turned it off.
      • More logical and change-friendly interface. I think the best example I can think of is vbulletin's admin area for styles. It is very easy to preview color changes and it builds the CSS for you. I'm not saying dummy it down so anyone without any understanding can do it, but just make it easier. It shouldn't require browser extensions or other programs to help you figure out the CSS change for say, a box background. And of course, for the die hard customizers, it would still be important to have a box where CSS can be directly entered.
    • Improved cart. I found myself with no link back to an album if I emptied the cart. Since the cart is fundamental to smugmug's income as well as its users, I think some priority needs to be assigned to its shortfalls. The ROI on such improvements would be quick and we would all benefit.

Wonderful service. iloveyou.gif The improvements would just put it over the top. clap.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    While you're on fixing stuff from the new release: there's still no "See photo in gallery"-link in single image view when clicking on a photo while browsing a keyword gallery in traditional, all thumbs or journal.
    It's not a big thing, but as I'm starting to use keywords more and I don't know which styles my visitors prefer it would be really helpful to give them the connection back to the gallery in all styles.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    SamirD wrote:
    ][*]Improved cart. I found myself with no link back to an album if I emptied the cart. Since the cart is fundamental to smugmug's income as well as its users, I think some priority needs to be assigned to its shortfalls. The ROI on such improvements would be quick and we would all benefit.[/list]

Wonderful service. iloveyou.gif The improvements would just put it over the top. clap.gif

Samir, how do you feel about this, today?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 28, 2006
    speed, great!

new way photo sizes are handled, great!

coolio popup, eh, great...

I like it, works great, but dare I make a suggestion? Actually, I don't quite know what this entails and haven't thought it through, but, the popup would be super cool and more useful if it would popup over a gallery of thumbnails, or traditional layout.

I use all thumbs style a lot myself when looking for photos amongst my galleries. Its a nice clean layout of all photos in thumbnail size, no clutter. Currently, when I click on one, first it takes me to the page for that photo alone, then I click on the photo again, it goes to large size, then I have to click on it yet again to get the coolio image popup which is then original size, and by that point, who needs the popup?

In my dream world, I'd get the popup immediately when I clicked on a thumbnail in all thumbs (preferrably in L or M size). Then, I'd be able to view the larger photos via the popup while being able to still make out the gallery of thumbnails below. That would be cool.

did I describe that clearly?

regardless, you guys rock for implementing things like this so quickly! nod.gifthumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    In my dream world, I'd get the popup immediately when I clicked on a thumbnail in all thumbs (preferrably in L or M size). Then, I'd be able to view the larger photos via the popup while being able to still make out the gallery of thumbnails below. That would be cool.

did I describe that clearly?

regardless, you guys rock for implementing things like this so quickly! nod.gifthumb.gif

Doc, I was thinking the same thing. I'd love that. Then I got to thinking about the reasons why they didn't. It has to do with all the controls you get when you click on a single image. It looks like the popup deal happens only when you already have access to the keywords, caption, etc. Makes sense in that are you sure that all users would want to have to switch to a different style to get to that info? I'm not sure what the solution is, cause I want what you want, but I'm sure there's a solution in there somewhere...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    It's live. This was beast of a release to get out the door because of the new search stuff, but your coolio image popup stuff made it! We'll see what the world thinks.

This is great!

It really sets off the photos much more effectively. The controls are clear and intuitive. You never lose where you are. I see Eric's point clearly. And for some reason, when I use it on thumbnail galleries, it defaults to O size, not L. ne_nau.gif

But this is really a big step forward in displaying the shots. Nice job, guys! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    This is great!

It really sets off the photos much more effectively. The controls are clear and intuitive. You never lose where you are. I see Eric's point clearly. And for some reason, when I use it on thumbnail galleries, it defaults to O size, not L. ne_nau.gif

But this is really a big step forward in displaying the shots. Nice job, guys! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Choose your preferred viewing size to L and we remember that...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Choose your preferred viewing size to L and we remember that...
    I believe it is. ne_nau.gif

54169328-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Samir, how do you feel about this, today?
    I didn't realized it had changed. :D
    I think the new system is better although I've only played with it briefly. There are buttons now for features that would have left a user hanging. clap.gif

The one thing that is odd about it is that it will resize my FF window size when adding to the cart from maximized. ne_nau.gif

Sample gallery I was using: http://huntsvillecarscene.smugmug.com/gallery/1144571

Test1: Maximize your FF window so that it fills the screen, and then click "buy this photo". Right before the gears turn, your window is resized.

Test2: Resize the window to a small one and then maximize it. Click "buy this photo". Right before the gears turn, your window is resized to a different size.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    All these new features and 24x36 is still a specialty print rather than a regular print, even though it's 2:3 ratio and frames of that size are easier to find than 20x30.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    All these new features and 24x36 is still a specialty print rather than a regular print, even though it's 2:3 ratio and frames of that size are easier to find than 20x30.
    Richard
    Do you think you've lost prints because of that? We may change this, at some point - no promises on if / when .. but you as a pro have the ability to alert your clients thru many ways, that there are all sorts of sizes and how to find them. If you want help with that, holler for me :D
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Do you think you've lost prints because of that? We may change this, at some point - no promises on if / when .. but you as a pro have the ability to alert your clients thru many ways, that there are all sorts of sizes and how to find them. If you want help with that, holler for me :D

Well, they all know (haveing a very specific audience has it's benefits), but I just don't see the logic in 24x36 being specialty.
  • Options
    finalbluefinalblue Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2006
    Open up options when logged on as yourself
    Regarding the feature to allow the download of Originals...

Would it be possible to enable the download of Originals when you are logged in as yourself? Maybe I'm missing something here, but it would be nice to be able to have the option to disable the download for visitors of the site, but enable it full time for all galleries when you are logged on as yourself.

I hope I'm not too confusing here... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    finalbluefinalblue Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2006
    Oh... and something similar about the "disable right-click" feature as well.
    finalblue wrote:
    Regarding the feature to allow the download of Originals...

Would it be possible to enable the download of Originals when you are logged in as yourself? Maybe I'm missing something here, but it would be nice to be able to have the option to disable the download for visitors of the site, but enable it full time for all galleries when you are logged on as yourself.

I hope I'm not too confusing here... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2006
    Thanks Finalblue - this has been asked plenty. I can't say if or when it'll ever happen. For now, you'll have to continue to unlock, download, and re-lock.

I wish I had a better answer for you.
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    I still wish that SM will get the pubdate part working.

Guys, what about it? This is an easy one! It makes no sense to me that a person can't easily subscribe to all changes for a photographer's site.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2006
    Journal Medium, Journal Large - feature request by dmc. Separate thread, here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27013
  • Options
    foxfox Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2006
    可以发表中文吗?>
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    What format is wxwax using in his post on the previous page :-) ? I have some customization on my site and after looking through all of my styles, I cannot see that version. Specifically the preferred viewing size stuff.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    What format is wxwax using in his post on the previous page :-) ? I have some customization on my site and after looking through all of my styles, I cannot see that version. Specifically the preferred viewing size stuff.

Start a post in customization forum, and we'll try to figure it out for you, ok?
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Done - New item.... I still use the default grey bar in the top right of the standard smugmug format. The one with search, view cart, and free trial.

I would think that the free trial there should automatically pass your coupon code to the signup page. I know that someone posted a way to create this so I will go search for it.

But, as a default feature, I would expect the site to pass my coupon code if someone links to the trial page from my site. Make sense?

Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
This discussion has been closed.