Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #6

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Done - New item.... I still use the default grey bar in the top right of the standard smugmug format. The one with search, view cart, and free trial.

I would think that the free trial there should automatically pass your coupon code to the signup page. I know that someone posted a way to create this so I will go search for it.

But, as a default feature, I would expect the site to pass my coupon code if someone links to the trial page from my site. Make sense?

Doc

wave.gif Hi Doc, here's how to make the smugmug in your footer a referral link, maybe this will start you off?

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=194946&postcount=30

Thanks for your suggestion!

wave.gif
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 31, 2006
    Yep, that was the post I was going to look for.

Be sure to add that to the list as I am sure that others may have lost referral credit from people clicking the free trial link. Not a big deal but it could be improved.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Yep, that was the post I was going to look for.

Be sure to add that to the list as I am sure that others may have lost referral credit from people clicking the free trial link. Not a big deal but it could be improved.

Doc,

It's a customization thing, so it's available to power and pro users. Standard account holders, if they're smart about it, will put their referral link in their bio, like this:
    <html>
    I recommend SmugMug for photosharing.  If you'd like to sign up, use <a href="
    http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=TEjaxa2MF2LJ6">this code and save  $5!</a>
    </html>

• Options
    shoestringtravelershoestringtraveler Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2006
    Additional Gallery Pages navigation on bottom of thumbnails
    I would like to see the gallery page navigation repeated at the bottom of the thumbnails. Contrary to popular opinion, the smugmug style does not always fit within the page (people have their monitor set a different resolutions) and, therefore they have to scroll back up to the top of the page in order to go to the next page. If you could just repeat the navigation underneath the thumbnails all would be fine.

Thanks!

Eric
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Enable bottom navigation bar with CSS
    I would like to see the gallery page navigation repeated at the bottom of the thumbnails. Contrary to popular opinion, the smugmug style does not always fit within the page (people have their monitor set a different resolutions) and, therefore they have to scroll back up to the top of the page in order to go to the next page. If you could just repeat the navigation underneath the thumbnails all would be fine.

Thanks!

Eric

I already have this in my galleries. The follow CSS customization will enable a duplicate navigation bar under the thumbnails for the smugmug style.

/* turn bottom navbar and shopping cart icons on */
    #smugmug #albumNav_bottom {display:block;}
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006

Thanks!

Eric

SmugBlogs to the rescue!
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    After a few weeks on SM, I've finally run across a real, bonefide, genuine, feature that I would really love to see--adjustable watermarks. :):

The current watermark system simply writes "proof" across the face of the displayed print. Many of us photographers spend the time to put a copyright statement at the bottom of our photos. But this is an extra step, and does also come into the print, which is good when a customer wants to go to wal-mart to make a quick, cheap, and illegal copy of the print, but also some customers would not like on their prints.

What I would like to see is a way that we can upload some sort of copyright text or graphic that could automatically be placed anywhere we choose on the print, and as an option appear on the print when printed. I'm sure this could be integrated with the current watermark feature.

Just out of curiousity, anyone else like this idea?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    SamirD wrote:

Just out of curiousity, anyone else like this idea?

Many. Thanks for your input, Samir. This is something we'd like very much to do - no promises on if/when but I can tell you that we'd love to have it.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Many. Thanks for your input, Samir. This is something we'd like very much to do - no promises on if/when but I can tell you that we'd love to have it.
    Thank you Andy.

And now I've run across another feature I need--bulk move galleries between categories. With 500+ galleries (and another few hundred on the way), being able to bulk move galleries between categories would be very useful. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    I guess I'm on a roll tonight. Here's another feature that would help me tremendously and would be pretty easy to implement--keyboard shortcuts.

Just like alt-s will "Submit Reply" and alt-p will "Preview Post" here in the forum (and in all vbulletin forums), it would be nice to have keyboard shortcuts for common dialogue boxes and buttons. Like the update button under customize gallery that I'm having to hit a hundred times tonight because there is no bulk gallery move tool. rolleyes1.gif If I could hit alt-u instead of scrolling down to click it, I'd save almost 50% of my time on that page. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    SamirD wrote:
    I guess I'm on a roll tonight. Here's another feature that would help me tremendously and would be pretty easy to implement--keyboard shortcuts.

Just like alt-s will "Submit Reply" and alt-p will "Preview Post" here in the forum (and in all vbulletin forums), it would be nice to have keyboard shortcuts for common dialogue boxes and buttons. Like the update button under customize gallery that I'm having to hit a hundred times tonight because there is no bulk gallery move tool. rolleyes1.gif If I could hit alt-u instead of scrolling down to click it, I'd save almost 50% of my time on that page. thumb.gif

Thanks Samir!
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    More suggestions. thumb.gif

Before smugmug, I used to use irfanview to process my pictures. I would use the full screen slideshow and use the arrow keys to go through the pictures, use the delete key to delete ones, and "r" and "l" to rotate photos right and left.

I don't know how most people go through their picture sorting process, but I found the full screen slideshow to be a great way to review photos. Currently, I keep filenames on and write down the files I need to delete. Then I go back and delete them using bulk delete. If the "del" key or "d" would either mark a photo for deletion or delete a photo, that would be great. And if "r" and "l" could be used to rotate the images, that would be great too.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Lightbox, sucky or not, needs keyboard shortcuts
    Hi guys...

Haven't posted in forever, and I've actually been quite lax about even posting photos up. But happened across a description of Lightbox on the "What's New" page, and figured I'd try it out.

My first impression was "cool". A little slow (600MHz dual-USB iBook w/ 384MB RAM), but still, kinda sweet. A little reminiscent of Flickr slideshows but without the minithumbs and the big loadtime upfront.

However, with Flickr in mind, I really wanted a keyboard shortcut for forward and back. How about arrow keys?

After reading the thread with all of the negatives about Lightbox, I can see how it'd be nice to make this optional for the viewer. For one thing, my dad had problems getting the original version of a photo with the separate window thing. I bet he has even more problems with Lightbox. (Ugh, photos printed from Medium-sized previews. Yuck!)

--Darryl
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    darryl wrote:
    Hi guys...

Haven't posted in forever, and I've actually been quite lax about even posting photos up. But happened across a description of Lightbox on the "What's New" page, and figured I'd try it out.

My first impression was "cool". A little slow (600MHz dual-USB iBook w/ 384MB RAM), but still, kinda sweet. A little reminiscent of Flickr slideshows but without the minithumbs and the big loadtime upfront.

However, with Flickr in mind, I really wanted a keyboard shortcut for forward and back. How about arrow keys?

After reading the thread with all of the negatives about Lightbox, I can see how it'd be nice to make this optional for the viewer. For one thing, my dad had problems getting the original version of a photo with the separate window thing. I bet he has even more problems with Lightbox. (Ugh, photos printed from Medium-sized previews. Yuck!)

--Darryl

Thanks Darryl!
  • Options
    zzZoiDzzzzZoiDzz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Video indications....
    Hey guys, my suggestion is to please please add some sort of icon or indication to the thumbnails letting users know that they are in fact NOT picture, but videos. At the moment i have been forced to make a "videos" Gallery and put my videos in it instead of keeping them in the same gallery with related photos. Its hard to remember and to find a video when all you can see is the first frame of the video and it looks just like every other photo in the gallery. Thanks for listening guys!
  • Options
    MikeFriedMikeFried Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Keyword page bug
    I noticed that when browsing my keyword pages, that sometimes they are in one style, and sometimes they are in another style. When in the smugmug style, because the last folder I used was smugmug, the photos appear with a "See photo in gallery" underneath them when enlarged. Otherwise (in traditional style, for example), they don't.

A) Why can't we force what style all keyword pages are in, or let the user change styles there by default?
    B) Why doesn't the "See photo in gallery" appear in all styles?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Search by camera / lens type?
    Sorry if this has been asked 100 times before, but...

Would it be possible to add the ability to seach for photos by camera type or lens type? This would be very useful...especially when researching the purchase of a new lens or camera.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    Sorry if this has been asked 100 times before, but...

Would it be possible to add the ability to seach for photos by camera type or lens type? This would be very useful...especially when researching the purchase of a new lens or camera.

Thanks for the suggestion! Moving this to the features request thread.
  • Options
    zzZoiDzzzzZoiDzz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Videos again sorry
    Hey andy, is the video suggestion something others have asked or something you guys are thinking of implementing? Sorry to pester, its just im thinking of using maybe ourmedia.org or whatever that website was that someone else mentioned on the forums here to host my videos if i can't get them in a layout that i like. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2006
    zzZoiDzz wrote:
    Hey andy, is the video suggestion something others have asked or something you guys are thinking of implementing? Sorry to pester, its just im thinking of using maybe ourmedia.org or whatever that website was that someone else mentioned on the forums here to host my videos if i can't get them in a layout that i like. Thanks!

Don't be sorry! And thanks for the great suggestions. We are always evaluating our offerings, including Video. deal.gif
  • Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Email List
    If you guys know about pictage, they offer an email sign up list, so when a bride releases her pictures to be viewed, an email is sent to all her friends and family that signed up for the notification.

Is there any chance that something like this will be coded into smugmug.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    A test bed site per user.

A separate subdomain, e.g. http://test_malte.smugmug.com for testing customization, functions permissions etc without affecting the real site. This account could be limited in size and have no order functionality to avoid being abused as a free account.

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Permissions per file.

I know this has been asked for before but since you guys implement what's frequently asked for, this is me chiming in.

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Themes with functionality.

Or modules, like a slideshow module for the homepage. I know that I don't know how much I'm asking for. :D

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Bulk downloading.

Per gallery, or ever better, let the viewer tick checkboxes by the photos in the gallery. Again, chiming in.

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Desktop app.

An app. for organizing, keywording etc. a local "copy" of your site.

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    A test bed site per user.

A separate subdomain, e.g. http://test_malte.smugmug.com for testing customization, functions permissions etc without affecting the real site. This account could be limited in size and have no order functionality to avoid being abused as a free account.

Malte

There's preview function in the control panel customization, but even BETTER is, Have you gotten Use Firefox and the Firefox Web Developer Tool Add-on?

Get them. Install them. With just a few clicks you can see how things are styled, and you can modify, salt to taste! I love the "Edit CSS" button. Wow - powerful.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    Themes with functionality.

Or modules, like a slideshow module for the homepage. I know that I don't know how much I'm asking for. :D

Malte

Can do now :D

www.moonriverphotography.com
    http://bigwebguy.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    Bulk downloading.

Per gallery, or ever better, let the viewer tick checkboxes by the photos in the gallery. Again, chiming in.

Malte
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=16623&highlight=sdown
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    Desktop app.

An app. for organizing, keywording etc. a local "copy" of your site.

Malte

Look at www.starexplorer.com
This discussion has been closed.