Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #6

Comments

• Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Yeah, that's where I saw it!

How ever I couldn't code to save my life so I'd like a ready-made module, sort of like featured galleries or timeline on the homepage.

Malte
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    Yeah, that's where I saw it!

How ever I couldn't code to save my life so I'd like a ready-made module, sort of like featured galleries or timeline on the homepage.

Malte

You won't need to code it. Stay tuned, the creators of that will be posting a how-to, in the customization forum.
  • Options
    cosleiacosleia Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    Feature requests
    I think this has been mentioned before, but I'd like to request it again: bulk assignment of Category and Subcategory, with on-the-fly creation of Categories and Subcategories.

I would also like to be able to apply tags on a gallery basis--select a group of galleries and click Save to add keywords to them. This is because I use a lot of keywords, from general to specific, and it would be great to be able to go back and bulk assign when I think of a new one (for example, lately I've been thinking I would like to add the country and the state in which the photos were taken to my photo keywords).
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    There's preview function in the control panel customization, but even BETTER is, Have you gotten Use Firefox and the Firefox Web Developer Tool Add-on?

Get them. Install them. With just a few clicks you can see how things are styled, and you can modify, salt to taste! I love the "Edit CSS" button. Wow - powerful.

I think it's super cool that Smugmug is so customizable, but I'd like some of the coolness to be sort of shrinkwrapped for instant consumption, for non coders like me. :confused

Malte
  • Options
    cosleiacosleia Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    Oh...bulk Google Earth/GPS would be nice too (on a multiple photo, gallery or multiple gallery basis)...and it would also be cool if smugmug could edit the photo EXIF (on a photo, multiple photo, gallery, or multiple gallery basis). (I'm a little obsessed with bulk options, aren't I?)
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Sorry for being so picky, but this I'd like to work without a client install. I'm thinking of my peeps, how the use of my site could be easier for them.

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You won't need to code it. Stay tuned, the creators of that will be posting a how-to, in the customization forum.

Why not just make it a module on the homepage with the show/hide links?

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    Why not just make it a module on the homepage with the show/hide links?

Malte

It's possible - but since we have slideshow style available...

Still - with a Power or Pro account, you can have it now :D
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Cool, I'll keep my peepers peeld.

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:

BTW, hows about getting the slides to link to the corresponding gallery?

Could I get the slideshow to display whatever photos in currently featured galleries?

Malte
  • Options
    mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi dmc, it's all there in the public thread. And our responses. And our track record of continued innovation - new features - and improvements. We're very open about new stuff coming in, some things get discussed at great length, and we'll give an indication about likelihood. Other things, we'll discuss and we'll say "can't promise if/when, but it's very important to us and we know to you, too." Becuase if we find out, for example, that what customer A thinks is a really easy feature, and initially we love it, but upon further digging we find some correlation to sub-system Z, and therefore it becomes a rather difficult feature to implement - now, if we'd said: "sure, we can implement that in 10 days time" we'd be spending the ensuing two weeks fanning flames becuase we didn't deliver. In addition, we don't make everything public - our roadmap or specific exact stuff that we're coming out with - by such and such a date. You can, however, see when we're really excited about something and judge for yourself. The bottomline is, except in really rare circumstances (I can think of only one time) we don't talk about new things in detail, in advance.

I hope this helps,

I have a request and maybe if the price is right I will volunteer to be the first customer. Is there a way where we could snail mail the CDs/DVDs with the destination gallery name (and account info) and a check so that someone sitting on the server could just copy the pictures without us going through the pain of bulk uploads. I know this would take days, but the pictures that need to go online immediately will have their usual paths, but historic or not so urgent pictures could use my requested path.

There is no technology involved, someone working at minimum wage could do this for the company (would have been my dream Job 20 years ago.) To simplify rules could be made like 'stuff from one CD/DVD needs to go to one gallery only, write the name of the gallery on the media,' - and if you wish to get the media back include a self addressed stamped envelope - SASE, etc. Of course once added to a requested or to simplify further a landing gallery, we could move the files around. I am ready to pay $7 for each CDs upload and $12 for each DVD Upload, plus postage.

Regards,
    Milind
  • Options
    mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    mkpatil wrote:
    I have a request and maybe if the price is right I will volunteer to be the first customer. Is there a way where we could snail mail the CDs/DVDs with the destination gallery name (and account info) and a check so that someone sitting on the server could just copy the pictures without us going through the pain of bulk uploads. I know this would take days, but the pictures that need to go online immediately will have their usual paths, but historic or not so urgent pictures could use my requested path.

There is no technology involved, someone working at minimum wage could do this for the company (would have been my dream Job 20 years ago.) To simplify rules could be made like 'stuff from one CD/DVD needs to go to one gallery only, write the name of the gallery on the media,' - and if you wish to get the media back include a self addressed stamped envelope - SASE, etc. Of course once added to a requested or to simplify further a landing gallery, we could move the files around. I am ready to pay $7 for each CDs upload and $12 for each DVD Upload, plus postage.

Regards,
    Milind

Please Ignore the above request - I just saw the The 2+ terabyte Question thread!
  • Options
    CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Accessing original photo
    Hi,

What is the easiest way to access original photos if I am out and about. If I am travelling and want to get the original back off smugmug it appears that the only way I can get it is to go into 'customize gallery', turn on the original, turn off the 'right click protect' and then I get the option with 'other sizes' to 'save photo'.

Should this option to 'save photo' or view 'original' be there permanently for logged in users? For example - on the logged in browser it would show "other sizes - large . original . save photo" but in the browser not logged in it would only show 'other sizes - large"

A possibility?

Thanks!

Cammo
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2006
    Cammo wrote:

A possibility?

Thanks!

Cammo

It's been asked. No promises on if/when but thanks for the suggestion!
    Moved to Features Request thread.
  • Options
    SavoneSavone Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I dont know if this has been suggested or not, if so sorry.

I think it would be awesome if you can assign a single photo to multiple categories. I know you can make a duplicate, but it will take up twice as much space.
  • Options
    ReWriteReWrite Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Make category last updated date reflect last change under category
    I'd really like to be able to have the last updated date on categories and sub-categories reflect the last change made anywhere below them.

If I understand correctly, they get their last updated date from the first gallery below them right now.

Ian

Canon 20d, digital rebel, 17-85 IS, 100 2.8 macro,
    10-22, 100-400L IS.
    edited February 9, 2006
    Please make lightbox pre-cache the next picture!
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Please make lightbox pre-cache the next picture!

Interesting request, but remember, LB was not designed to be the mechanism by which you go from one pic to the next. The team will definitely consider it, thanks!
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 9, 2006
    Vanity Hostnames with custom domains
    At present, for custom domains, you have to enter the fully qualfied hostname

eg. www.introversion.com.au

What would be really cool, is if you only had to enter the domain...

eg. introversion.com.au

That way, using javascript you could make vanity hostnames to redirect to different categories or galleries....

eg. family.introversion.com.au -> http://www.introversion.com.au/Family

That would give pros a better way to split up their site and a way to segregate personal photos from professional photos.

Cheers,

David

ps. At present, if I use http://riley.introversion.com.au, it redirects to http://riley.smugmug.com someone elses site. Surely this is a bug ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    The ability to make the captions show up in lightbox. I think if you guys added that, lightbox (for some) could be a replacement for scrolling through pics the old way. Cheers...Kerry
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    The ability to make the captions show up in lightbox. I think if you guys added that, lightbox (for some) could be a replacement for scrolling through pics the old way. Cheers...Kerry

It's a great request, Kerry - thanks for taking the time to make it! We really love it when you let us know what's important to you!

clap.gif
  • Options
    kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Password protected orignals *PLEASE*
    Sigh, I checked into this a year ago and just did a search and there still seems to be no progress.

I (and many others from what I've read) would like to allow a select group of people to download originals from particular galleries. Before anyone jumps in with the usual useless suggestions, I'll just put them down here and why they suck so we don't waste time rehashing them:

1. Guest Password - way to much access, access to everything, not just the galleries I want in particular, and finally the presentation to the user is now cluttered with all the extra stuff a guest can do. Guest passwords are useful, but not for this.

2. Two gallery solution (password protect with originals, unprotected without originals) - well, first off this means doubling up space for the servers and secondly it can as confusing as heck for both me and my users. Two copies is just silly.

So, is there still no solution for this that makes any sense? So much new stuff gets added all the time (go smugmug!) that maybe I missed it. I know the poor guys at smugmug can't spend all their time with every little request, but maybe I'd shut up if someone explained why this feature is rocket science? While we're at it password protected printing would be similarly useful.

Thanks!

Ken
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2006
    kwalsh wrote:
    Thanks!

Ken

Hi Ken, thanks for the feature request.
  • Options
    KrisKatKrisKat Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2006
    Here is my list of suggestions, for now :)

1. An FTP upload option?

2. Better watermarking capabilities. I want my watermark (© 2006 [EMAIL="KrisKat@AfterglowPix"]KrisKat@AfterglowPix[/EMAIL]™) on everything, including the prints people buy.

3. The ability to purchase Usage Rights online and then download a hi res copy. ( Online Stock Catalog )

Thanks,
    KK
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    KrisKat wrote:
    Here is my list of suggestions, for now :)

1. An FTP upload option?

2. Better watermarking capabilities. I want my watermark (© 2006 [EMAIL="KrisKat@AfterglowPix"]KrisKat@AfterglowPix[/EMAIL]™) on everything, including the prints people buy.

3. The ability to purchase Usage Rights online and then download a hi res copy. ( Online Stock Catalog )

Thanks,
    KK

Hi, KK wave.gif and welcome to Dgrin :D

That's a great list. I'm curious about why #1, the Universal Beta Drag and Drop Loader is unlimited, and works everywhere... have you tried it?

#s 2 and 3 - GREAT ideas :D
  • Options
    jagilbertjagilbert Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2006
    Coupons for Clients
    It would be cool if I could give out one time use coupon codes to potential clients. Something like "Ten dollars off of your first order" which they could redeem at checkout.

I'll add my vote for an optional © symbol or image to be added to my printed pics. I imagine it would be manged similar to the way the "proof" watermark is managed. I currently do it in photoshop, so its no big deal, but it would be a time saver.

Cheers,
    Jeff Gilbert
    new pro user
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    I'd like metric print sizes in the order form. I know Smugmug is based in in the US but I'd think alot of your customers are using the metric system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SI-metrication-world.png deal.gif

Malte
  • Options
    KenundrumKenundrum Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, KK wave.gif and welcome to Dgrin :D

That's a great list. I'm curious about why #1, the Universal Beta Drag and Drop Loader is unlimited, and works everywhere... have you tried it?

The universal loader does not work everywhere. There are many times where i am on a trip and i want to show someone pictures and all i have is my pda and smartphone- i don't have a laptop. Those support FTP clients but i cannot use the uploaders on them. So for me- it would be great. i tend to use smugmug both as a gallery of my trips and various things and as a backup for all my files. the quicker i can get the photos online and off my camera/computer- the better i feel. so if i'm on a trip and i can hop on to a wifi connection for a half hour and get that done- it's great.
    Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere. And sometimes you find yourself, in the middle of nowhere
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Now that our active Daily Photo community is growing and recently I also converted to set the style of my daily photo galleries to Journal I would like to take the opportunity to ask for the possebility to read the comments directly in the Journal or at least provide a display of how many comments there are for a picture including a direct link to them like you do in SM style.

optionally having both would be best so everyone can deceide on their own, but at least the amount of comments and the direct link is a must have! :D

Currently no one ever guesses that there are comments at all while browsing through the few gallery pages each daily photo month only has. Not everyone wants to see the pictures in large to then discover the comment-section. Plus with the Journal-size-changer script there's no more need to click on any link for larger pictures - hence those guys never see the comment-section at all! One more reason to fulfill our tiny request :D

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    One more reason to fulfill our tiny request :D

Thanks,
    Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian!
This discussion has been closed.