Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #6

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

Does it make sense to anybodybut me? ne_nau.gif

Nik, we understand you. For the time being, you can put them in a private gallery and email a link, and the "giftee" can download them.

We appreciate your suggestion - as always - it's great to hear it straight from our customers. This is the first I've heard of this one, so we'll see what sort of traction it gets!

All the best,
  • Options
    itchyfeetitchyfeet Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Blogs?
    Hi

I have an online diary which I have linked to my Smugmug site. The thing is, I spend LOTS of time trying to make the diary/blog site to look EXACTLY like my smugmug page (because I want it to be integrated).

However, is there ANY chance that SMUGMUG will feature a blog page? I am not looking for anything glamourous at all. Just something that features a date entry, and text.

Thanks
    Ellliot
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    itchyfeet wrote:
    Hi

I have an online diary which I have linked to my Smugmug site. The thing is, I spend LOTS of time trying to make the diary/blog site to look EXACTLY like my smugmug page (because I want it to be integrated).

However, is there ANY chance that SMUGMUG will feature a blog page? I am not looking for anything glamourous at all. Just something that features a date entry, and text.

Thanks
    Ellliot

Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion, Elliot thumb.gif
  • Options
    Fine Bottled WaterFine Bottled Water Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    Posting this again:

I use the journal style on my site, and my only complaint is the inability of visitors to see whether pictures have comments. I'd like to have the option to display [via the journal style] the number of comments each picture has, similar to how individual posts on a blog show the number of comments.

I figure this would not only push visitors to read the comments (which I expect often go overlooked), but it would also promote the use of the comments function.

I created this image as an example.

Thanks!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    I figure this would not only push visitors to read the comments (which I expect often go overlooked), but it would also promote the use of the comments function.

I created this image as an example.
    I like ideas promoting the comment function. I've made some requests myself in this field. Really like your sample picture. Looks very good and stylish, too. Can we have this?? thumb.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jrykowskijrykowski Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    pro feature - matrix of pricing across galleries
    This would be a nice feature to make it easy to verify pricing is correct across all galleries. Especially useful when changing pricing dependent on gallery (it happens - especially for event photographer with pricing different for each event).

I imagine a long CSV dump perhaps? It'd optionally list each gallery across top, and each item down rows (or option to pivot so galleries list down rows and items across columns).
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2005
    jrykowski wrote:
    This would be a nice feature to make it easy to verify pricing is correct across all galleries. Especially useful when changing pricing dependent on gallery (it happens - especially for event photographer with pricing different for each event).

I imagine a long CSV dump perhaps? It'd optionally list each gallery across top, and each item down rows (or option to pivot so galleries list down rows and items across columns).

Thanks for the suggestion, jrykowski, we appreciate you taking the time. I'll make sure that our product manager and engineers see this.
  • Options
    Fine Bottled WaterFine Bottled Water Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    I like ideas promoting the comment function. I've made some requests myself in this field. Really like your sample picture. Looks very good and stylish, too. Can we have this?? thumb.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Thanks!
  • Options
    shogunshogun Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 14, 2005
    Default Geographic Location Feature Request
    It would be really nice if we could set a default geographic location for settings the location of an image. Rather than having to zoom all the way out from somewhere in California then scroll halfway across the world and zoom in again it would be great if it started in my usual general area to take photos.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2005
    shogun wrote:
    It would be really nice if we could set a default geographic location for settings the location of an image. Rather than having to zoom all the way out from somewhere in California then scroll halfway across the world and zoom in again it would be great if it started in my usual general area to take photos.

Thanks, Shogun, for the feature request - we appreciate you taking the time. I've moved your post to the features request thread.

Thanks again,
  • Options
    DigitalFocusDigitalFocus Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    customization update button
    just wondering ...if matbe .... we could have another 'save customization' button at the top of the page or neaerer the css window?

:hide
  • Options
    tony larcombetony larcombe Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    small stuff - but noted :D

moved to features request thread.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    I too would like to have more save buttons. I would like to have them below each of the boxes on the cobranding page please thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    x&xpx&xp Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 17, 2005
    Could Mac Uploader "Synchronize" instead of "Add" ?
    Hi. I've loved SmugMug for several years. I have a new mac on which I now organize photos with iPhoto. I'd like to see the Mac Uploader "synchronize" an iPhoto & SmugMug album, rather than merely upload all the iPhoto album's photos up to SmugMug.

I created new same-named albums in iPhoto and Smugmug, put pictures in the iPhoto album, and used the Updloader to add them to the SmugMug album. So Easy! Great!

But I took another picture I wanted to add to the album, so I added it in iPhoto, and again used the Uploader - but it merely added the whole album again, leaving duplicates of everything. Deleting the whole album from SmugMug before uploading the updated-album works, as long as all my SmugMug photos always come from iPhoto, but it destroys the ease of iPhoto & the uploader.

Can the uploader by made to only upload those photos that have been added since the last upload? Ideally, it could also update the names/captions on SmugMug for pictures with new names/comments in iPhoto.
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    odd sized page numbers
    I have a small complaint that should be fairly easy to fix. When browsing through a gallery on SM, the position of the 'next page arrow' (>) is based on the width of the page numbers. So, as the pages switch from single to double digits, the arrow is shifted to the right. This makes it impossible to leave your mouse in one place, and cruise through a gallery.

-Winn
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    I have a small complaint that should be fairly easy to fix. When browsing through a gallery on SM, the position of the 'next page arrow' (>) is based on the width of the page numbers. So, as the pages switch from single to double digits, the arrow is shifted to the right. This makes it impossible to leave your mouse in one place, and cruise through a gallery.

-Winn

Hi Winn, please put feature requests in the Feature Requests thread. That way I don't have to spend time moving them thumb.gif

I'll make sure that JT sees your request, thank you for taking the time to make it.
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Winn, please put feature requests in the Feature Requests thread. That way I don't have to spend time moving them thumb.gif

I'll make sure that JT sees your request, thank you for taking the time to make it.
    Sorry about that, Andy. Thanks for moving it for me.

-winn
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    Sorry about that, Andy. Thanks for moving it for me.

-winn
    No problemo - it's really only to keep them all in one place - easier to track etc...
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    I wished that we could know if customers bought our prints. I recently joined to the pro account, after I did an anniversary shoot in California. Expensive trip, and I had no clue untill after fourteen days that you could not sell prints if not having a pro account.

After fourteen days I switched, but I am afraid that by then, most people just downloaded the pics, as I had not protected them, and had not set a price.

What I really would like to know now is if there have been sales, even if I don't have profit on it. It would be nice to know... Do I have ONE customer who ordered prints, which means I am a total fluke... or is it as I suspect, that they downloaded without paying or ordered without me having set pro pricing...

hmmm, don't know if my question makes sense... call it jetlag
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    photocat wrote:
    I wished that we could know if customers bought our prints. I recently joined to the pro account, after I did an anniversary shoot in California. Expensive trip, and I had no clue untill after fourteen days that you could not sell prints if not having a pro account.

After fourteen days I switched, but I am afraid that by then, most people just downloaded the pics, as I had not protected them, and had not set a price.

What I really would like to know now is if there have been sales, even if I don't have profit on it. It would be nice to know... Do I have ONE customer who ordered prints, which means I am a total fluke... or is it as I suspect, that they downloaded without paying or ordered without me having set pro pricing...

hmmm, don't know if my question makes sense... call it jetlag

Hi Cat,

It's a pro-account differentiation. Only those with pro accounts will get reporting on print sales - and only then if you mark up the pricing. Here are some tips:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2005/07/19/how-to-block-at-cost-sales/
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2005/07/19/tracking-at-cost-sales/

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/reporting

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Chicken and egg
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Cat,

It's a pro-account differentiation. Only those with pro accounts will get reporting on print sales - and only then if you mark up the pricing. Here are some tips:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2005/07/19/how-to-block-at-cost-sales/
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2005/07/19/tracking-at-cost-sales/

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/reporting

I hope this helps.

I think we've expressed this opinion before Andy, but I think you would sell more pro-level upgrades if you gave people sales information before they had pro-level accounts. That gives them the data they need to calculate how much they could have made if they had a pro-level account with custom prices and thus helps them prove/justify to themselves that they should have a pro account. Without the data, it's hard for people to know how much "marking up prints" would be worth to them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    I think we've expressed this opinion before Andy,
    Thanks for the reminder, John.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Flip Album
    Would like to be able to upload my galleries as a flip album...the ability to look at an actual album with pages that flip just might increase the sales of the Pro Users and would even make the standard users galleries a little more special.

Don't get me wrong but it would make the SM experience a liite more creative ofr us that have the software, especially since our space is unlimited....and the albums are usually very small...120 pics did not even take 10 mb...I think (actually closer to 1 mb).

Thanks
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    ART SCOTT wrote:
    Would like to be able to upload my galleries as a flip album...the ability to look at an actual album with pages that flip just might increase the sales of the Pro Users and would even make the standard users galleries a little more special.

Don't get me wrong but it would make the SM experience a liite more creative ofr us that have the software, especially since our space is unlimited....and the albums are usually very small...120 pics did not even take 10 mb...I think (actually closer to 1 mb).

Thanks
    Hi Art, thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Originals always available if logged on?
    If I'm logged on to my Smugmug account, then whenever I order one of my prints, I get that print at-cost, no matter what it costs someone else. Very nice and convenient feature.

What if when I'm logged onto my site that I can always see the originals and always download the original to whatever computer I'm on?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    If I'm logged on to my Smugmug account, then whenever I order one of my prints, I get that print at-cost, no matter what it costs someone else. Very nice and convenient feature.

What if when I'm logged onto my site that I can always see the originals and always download the original to whatever computer I'm on?

Hi Bill,

For now, you have to go in, turn originals ON, protection OFF, and "save photo." Thanks for taking the time to make the feature request, I'll make sure that everyone sees it. - and I wish I had a better answer for you....

All the best,
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Not a problem.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Feature request: Site visibility & Google sitemaps
    Hello Smugmug,

Google has program going called 'google sitemaps'. It is possible to verify your site and have a better chance that your site is found and indexed.

However, Google looks for this file (example):
    http://www.yoursite.com/google123456f0ce95e9d8c.html

If you have your domain www.yoursite.com pointed to www.smugmug.com (via CNAME record changes at your domain provider), this html file needs to be uploaded to www.smugmug.com. Currently this is not possible.

My request for a new feature is:
    It would be nice if pro-accounts can upload any (size limited) file to their root directory, so that google sitemaps can verify the site. I.e. i'd like to be able to log-in to my account and upload google123456f0ce95e9d8c.html to www.yoursite.com, go to google-sitemaps and hit the 'verify' button successfully.

Thanks
    -- Anton.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    Hello Smugmug,

Google has program going called 'google sitemaps'.

Thanks
    -- Anton.

Very interesting, Anton - thanks for the feature request! thumb.gif
This discussion has been closed.