Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Anton, I reported this a few days ago. Appreciate the reminder!
    Anton,

Can't replicate in FF, but only in IE. What's up with that?
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Anton,

Can't replicate in FF, but only in IE. What's up with that?

I can replicate it in FireFox as well. The links in the gallery-categories box and most popular photos are 'incorrect' as well.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    NitroNitro Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Galleries Sort And Photo Delete Problem
    When I select Galleries Sort > Arrange I get a blank page with no galleries to sort. When I select a gallery and go to to delete a photo, that option is not there.

I have attemptemted both on two machines using IE.

The site is ipscaction.smugmug.com

Thanks ...
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Nitro wrote:
    When I select Galleries Sort > Arrange I get a blank page with no galleries to sort. When I select a gallery and go to <Photo Tools> to delete a photo, that option is not there.

I have attemptemted both on two machines using IE.

The site is ipscaction.smugmug.com

Thanks ...
    Hi Nitro, when trying to move and sort, are you logged in as a user? or as a guest?
  • Options
    NitroNitro Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Nitro, when trying to move and sort, are you logged in as a user? or as a guest?

I'm logged in as a user.
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Make 2nd Copy
    This feature only works about 50% of the time. I usually have to do it twice before it acutally makes me a 2nd copy.
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Move Photo
    Move photo does work properly but sometimes it does a move and sometimes it does a copy. Anyone got any ideas?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    This feature only works about 50% of the time. I usually have to do it twice before it acutally makes me a 2nd copy.

This has been reported before. Check the original gallery after you move the 2nd copy. Your original copy will still be there meaning that you will have 3 total of the image since you copied it twice.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Sergey ShevchenkoSergey Shevchenko Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Dear Smugmug support team,

I've already reported the problem with cyrillic captions displayed as unicode sequences in the pop-up hints when mousing over links. Now I've found a more serious problem: I can't even upload images with cyrillic captions properly, regardless of whether their are in the EXIF Image Description or the IPTC Caption: all cyrillic symbols become converted to accented latin symbols (something along these lines: "Ðóññêèé êîììåíòàðèé"). I've tried both standard uploader and Star*Explorer - neither works (as expected - I think it's certain that the problem is in the API implementation).

This makes my life really difficult, because I'd very much prefer to comment my pics in cyrillic.

Can something be done about this?
  • Options
    ScalaScala Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    This makes my life really difficult, because I'd very much prefer to comment my pics in cyrillic.

Ah, one of my favorite topics again.

The same goes for filenames and captions in smugmaps. I dare someone to take a trip outside English-speaking countries, take some pics, caption them with local names and post them on smugmaps! :)

Andy, any idea if this is on the to do -list or not?
    My smugmug site: www.majakorpi.net
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Scala wrote:
    Ah, one of my favorite topics again.

The same goes for filenames and captions in smugmaps. I dare someone to take a trip outside English-speaking countries, take some pics, caption them with local names and post them on smugmaps! :)

Andy, any idea if this is on the to do -list or not?
    Same for me with German umlauts and Spanish accents in smugmaps. mwink.gif
    Has been this way for a very long time and looks really bad.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2006
    Dear Smugmug support team,

I've already reported the problem with cyrillic captions displayed as unicode sequences in the pop-up hints when mousing over links. Now I've found a more serious problem: I can't even upload images with cyrillic captions properly, regardless of whether their are in the EXIF Image Description or the IPTC Caption: all cyrillic symbols become converted to accented latin symbols (something along these lines: "Ðóññêèé êîììåíòàðèé"). I've tried both standard uploader and Star*Explorer - neither works (as expected - I think it's certain that the problem is in the API implementation).

I'm not sure, but I'll ask the Engineers.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2006
    I'm told, at the time being, no. I wish I had a better and more complete answer for you, but I do not.
  • Options
    Sergey ShevchenkoSergey Shevchenko Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'm told, at the time being, no. I wish I had a better and more complete answer for you, but I do not.

Thanks, Andy. Not particularly blaming anyone (I understand that the demand is probably not too high), I must say that this is very disappoining to me. rolleyes1.gif

I really hope this will be implemented one day.
  • Options
    dominikdominik Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Hi,

It seems that toggling a gallery's privacy status will make any photos that have been marked as popular lose that designation forever -- moving that gallery back to public won't return the popularity counts, which means that data is being lost forever.

It seems that it should just not look for popular photos in private galleries for public visitors, rather than nuke the popularity status of photos outright, which is what it is doing now.

Thanks,

--dominik
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2006
    dominik wrote:
    Hi,

It seems that toggling a gallery's privacy status will make any photos that have been marked as popular lose that designation forever -- moving that gallery back to public won't return the popularity counts, which means that data is being lost forever.

It seems that it should just not look for popular photos in private galleries for public visitors, rather than nuke the popularity status of photos outright, which is what it is doing now.

Thanks,

--dominik
    Thanks for the suggestion - it's not a bug though :D
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Some lemonade from those lemons - sounds like a feature to me
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion - it's not a bug though :D

Hmmm. Though this isn't what Dominik wanted, one could call this a feature.

If you want to "clear" the popularity counts on a set of photos, just toggle their status to private, then back to public.

You could presumably even do this on a single image without reuploading by moving it to a private gallery and then moving it back to the public one.

P.S. I've long had this debate with lots of folks who develop software and services. If the customer is always right, then in their eyes a "bug" is any behavior that isn't what they expected. In the context of your reply Andy, I presume what you meant was that "it is working as designed" and intended and thus the developers don't consider it a malfunction of any sorts. You may still have customers that "think" it's a bug whether it's working as designed or not. The definition of a "bug" is in the eye of the beholder.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    The definition of a "bug" is in the eye of the beholder.
    hence the :D smiley naughty.gif

We do though, here on Dgrin, most definitely when we know, differentiate between bug and other. This is other. And we don't say much about /popular, the way it works, etc. But making private will remove popularity. Other than that....
  • Options
    dominikdominik Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    hence the :D smiley naughty.gif

We do though, here on Dgrin, most definitely when we know, differentiate between bug and other. This is other. And we don't say much about /popular, the way it works, etc. But making private will remove popularity. Other than that....

Heh. To me:
    - making a photo private
    - removing popularity

are two different things. Sometimes I want to do one, sometimes I want to do another. Thus it seems that it's more of a "side effect" than a bug, and an undocumented side effect at that (in so far as I checked) :p

It's also worth noting that /popular is accessible even if you have it disabled on you front page. Not sure if that's WAI as well.

Thanks for the reply though -- at least I know now :)
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Protected pics allow for left click copying: Okay so I do not know how to describe this in more specific terms, but right now whether I am logged in or out, I get the save/print/open box top left of a photo when I toggle over it. If I right click I get the message that the photos are copywrite protected. However, simply putting the mouse on the photo brings up the box that allows easy lifting............

ann
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Protected pics allow for left click copying: Okay so I do not know how to describe this in more specific terms, but right now whether I am logged in or out, I get the save/print/open box top left of a photo when I toggle over it. If I right click I get the message that the photos are copywrite protected. However, simply putting the mouse on the photo brings up the box that allows easy lifting............

ann
    The feature works as designed. You are seeing the IE Print Toolbar, here's how you can disable it:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=37159

The "save" option will only save an empty file called "spacer.gif" - there's NO way to prevent people from making print screens or screen grabs - not on ANY service on the internet.

I hope this helps, Ann!
  • Options
    zip_doo_dahzip_doo_dah Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Weird Overwrite bug
    This weird bug shows up about half the time in the Fresh Air theme.

Here's a screenshot of what keeps showing up on the screen in IE.

Thanks,

Justin
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    This weird bug shows up about half the time in the Fresh Air theme.

Here's a screenshot of what keeps showing up on the screen in IE.

Thanks,

Justin
    Justin, could we have a direct link to your site please, so we can see if we can recreate it?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Justin, could we have a direct link to your site please, so we can see if we can recreate it?
    Thanks.

I think it mainly shows up in the larger galleries like the Work Buddies example I showed you. It happens often in this one too:

http://www.justinandkrista.smugmug.com/Vacation/147594

It's the smugmug footer that seems to be written over the top of my galleries.

Thanks,
    Justin

PS You should be enjoying your vacation, not dealing with my miniscule bug. lol
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    Ooops. Sorry. I take back that last comment about it only happening in the larger galleries. This is from my Friends gallery.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 26, 2006
    stats discrepancy
    in the stats summary page, it says i'm using 91.48MB of bandwidth for this gallery

84090936-M.jpg

upon further inspection, the math doesnt seem right:
    84090939-L.jpg

My theory is that the gallery detail page is displaying calculated bandwidth while the main stats page is showing actual bandwidth. The images in question are used in my slideshow, so the actual filesize being transmitted will be less than the original filesize which would explain the discrepancy. I'm just curious as to the official explanation behind this.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    Erie BuoyErie Buoy Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Using "keyword tools" in a virtual gallery
    Let's say that I tagged all of my family photos with the first name of the people pictured. Let's say that Jim appears in some of them. Now, let's say that I've decided that I'd like to add Jim's last name to all of the photos in which he appears. So, I click on "jim" in my keyword cloud and a virtual gallery is created for me. I go down to the handy "tools" listbox where the "Edit captions/keywords (Bulk)" appears for my use. When I click on this option, I get a list of photos on which to operate, but the list does not include all of the photos that are tagged with "jim". Additionally, there are some photos in the list that aren't tagged with "jim"!

What's up with that?

Thanks for any insight.

P.S. This thread is way too long to be useful for searching purposes. Is there any possibility of creating a new forum for bug reports, so that each individual bug report could be it's own thread? It'd be a lot easier (for me, at least) to follow and search.
    Explore (and add to!) smugmug co-branding on del.icio.us
  • Options
    volcs0volcs0 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Buttons Not Showing Up in Camino
    I use Camino, which I feel is one of the best browsers for the mac (but that's a different topic).

Anyways, buttons on Smugmug pages do not show up. I thought it was because of the advertising block, but I turned that off, and they still don't show up.

It is not really a big deal for me, but I'm curious if it is an easy fix or not, and I figured you'd want to know.

Thanks.

sam

84315860-L.png
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    volcs0 wrote:
    I use Camino, which I feel is one of the best browsers for the mac (but that's a different topic).

Anyways, buttons on Smugmug pages do not show up. I thought it was because of the advertising block, but I turned that off, and they still don't show up.

It is not really a big deal for me, but I'm curious if it is an easy fix or not, and I figured you'd want to know.

Thanks.

sam

84315860-L.png

Hi Sam,

Camino is not one of our officially supported browsers: Safari, FF (Mac and Win) and IE6.

We'd love to support Camino, and when we can, we will.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    Erie Buoy wrote:
    P.S. This thread is way too long to be useful for searching purposes. Is there any possibility of creating a new forum for bug reports, so that each individual bug report could be it's own thread? It'd be a lot easier (for me, at least) to follow and search.
    We'll try to validate the behavior you report, thanks for taking the time to let us know.

There is "Search This Thread" feature, "Search the whole Forum" and also, site search Google, which is really a great tool:

site:www.dgrin.com put your search terms here
This discussion has been closed.