Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Great site Harm...The search Cloud is under "Add Contents Block" on the customization sidebar. Click the Discovery tab and you will see "Search Cloud"
    Greeting again David. Re cloud. Following your lead I had no problem getting the cloud up. Prob is I didn't know where to put it. I tried putting on Search but whatever I did wrong, it shows up below all images including the title I gave it -which I will remove. What to do?
    Thanks!
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Greeting again David. Re cloud. Following your lead I had no problem getting the cloud up. Prob is I didn't know where to put it. I tried putting on Search but whatever I did wrong, it shows up below all images including the title I gave it -which I will remove. What to do?
    Thanks!

I put mine on top of search a highlighted green bar should show up where you can drop it.
    Make sure you are droping it on your search page only and not the entire site.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • barringtonrbarringtonr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2013
    Here's mine. Still a work in progress...
    http://www.totalfocusstudios.smugmug.com/
  • ButlerkidButlerkid Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    OK, everyone......here is my site. First, I don't sell anything....I'm just trying to get a personalized, somewhat clean site that highlights my images. Picking a color scheme has taken me WAY tooooo long!

Since the slideshow doesn't use the available space, is there a way to set the body of the Homepage to do a slide show by cycling through an unlisted gallery, one large photo at a time?

Other comments and suggestions?

BTW - I don't know how to code, but I'm pretty good at copying and pasting! Just tell me what and where!

Thanks!

www.butlerkid.smugmug.com

• VNemethVNemeth Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    My only thought, is that on my 26" screen the font in your header is very small and far from your logo, may want to consider making that a little larger and maybe centering your logo? Just an idea. This is what it looks like for me...

ScreenShot2013-08-12at55824AM.png

Nate
    Thanks for the input. I have a 27 inch pc and the font is much bigger in the menu and in the logo on my screen. They are also much closer together. Is your image from a MAC ? So if I make it look better on a MAC then it won't look good on a pc. How to get it to look the same on both is the question.

Vic
  • TomRoperTomRoper Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Butlerkid wrote: »
    OK, everyone......here is my site. First, I don't sell anything....I'm just trying to get a personalized, somewhat clean site that highlights my images. Picking a color scheme has taken me WAY tooooo long!

Since the slideshow doesn't use the available space, is there a way to set the body of the Homepage to do a slide show by cycling through an unlisted gallery, one large photo at a time?

Other comments and suggestions?

BTW - I don't know how to code, but I'm pretty good at copying and pasting! Just tell me what and where!

Thanks!

www.butlerkid.smugmug.com

Karen,

It looks like your link isn't quite correct. There's an extra address of www.dgrin.com in front of your address butlerkid.smugmug.com

You did a great job of getting your site customized.
    edited August 12, 2013
    Thanks, Tom!

I'll correct the link... don't know how it happened as I typed it in....! Laughing.gif! Any suggestions to improve?
    edited August 12, 2013
    VNemeth wrote: »
    Nate
    Thanks for the input. I have a 27 inch pc and the font is much bigger in the menu and in the logo on my screen. They are also much closer together. Is your image from a MAC ? So if I make it look better on a MAC then it won't look good on a pc. How to get it to look the same on both is the question.

Vic

Vic,

Your site looks great. I also thought your menu font was a bit on the small side. Even though you have a 27" monitor, you need to look at what resolution your screen is set to. I have a 27" iMac, a 13" Mac Book Pro and a 14" Dell laptop and it is small on all screens when they are at their native resolution.
    If you have a 27" monitor your resolution should be something around 1920x1080 or even better at 2560x1440. The 1920x1080 resolution would still have a larger look on a monitor that size.
    You might want to set your menu text to a size of M, which should give a good balance of size for most monitors.

EDIT: Vic, looks like you made some changes since I viewed your site. The logo and menu text look much better.
    edited August 12, 2013
    Okay, after tweaking and tweaking some more, I think I finally have my site updated and ready for some feedback. I still have content to upload and organize.
    Any comments appreciated! www.thomasroper.com
    edited August 12, 2013
    Tom, I have some text set at XS on my website (bread crumb and text in body of site).... are they way too small? (I'm spoiled with a big, beautiful 30" NEC! Love it!)
  • lnormlnorm Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Lost Rider wrote: »
    Here's a link to my site, you'll have to Enter the site then click on "images" to get to the SM section of it.
    I really like how easy it was to combine my SM with my full site, hopefully making it easier for folks interested in my stuff to be able to navigate around.
    i'm having some trouble with smart galleries putting photos in them that don't have the keywords for the smart gallery rules, namely in my "not moto-photo" gallery, still trying to figure that one out.
    Any suggestions on my SM site overall are welcome.

http://www.lostrider.com

I agree with the other comments about your site. Love it! (helps that it pretty much covers my 3 favourite topics, motorbikes, travel and photography).
  • St LaurieSt Laurie Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    http://lauriestreet.smugmug.com/
    Pretty simple and as minimalist as I could make it.
    I tried to put the social buttons on the right hand side at the bottom but could only put in an absolute value to get them down there, which would offset on different size monitors/mobile devices.
    Cheers
    edited August 12, 2013
    MenBrial wrote: »
    Hi all

Lots of outstanding work around here , congrats everybody !!!

Here is mine , just unveil it a few minutes ago

http://www.menbrial.com/
    Hey, mind the beaver jokes! rolleyes1.gif
    Nice site, BTW
    Cheers
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    edited August 12, 2013
    Hi all, crits are not just welcomed they are needed. So please do.
    Can anyone please tell me how to change the text colour (color) of gallery names along the bottom of gallery thumbnails?
    Thanks! -isn't this fun?
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    edited August 12, 2013
    Tom, I have some text set at XS on my website (bread crumb and text in body of site).... are they way too small? (I'm spoiled with a big, beautiful 30" NEC! Love it!)

Karen,

Your text and breadcrumbs looks fine.
    edited August 12, 2013
    Wow!, Tom! Nice!

It's not obvious on your Homepage that part of it is below the viewer's sceen. That part is just as nice (or nicer than) the slide show. Perhaps your Portfolio menu could link a folder which looks like the lower part of your Homepage and then tier down from there. I know it's hard to give up the slide show....I've thought about the same thing!

The layout of your Portfolio page is very nice!

Another thing I noticed.....a gallery bread crumb might indicate the upper level as Landscapes....but Landscapes were not on the Portfolio page....somewhat confusing for a viewer.
    edited August 12, 2013
    St Laurie wrote: »
    I tried to put the social buttons on the right hand side at the bottom but could only put in an absolute value to get them down there, which would offset on different size monitors/mobile devices.
    Cheers
    The silhouettes are great Laurie. Would make a good logo for y'all
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    edited August 12, 2013
    Cheers

Laurie, wonderful site! It just wasn't obvious how to enter your site. Perhaps had a single menu item "ENTER" on your homepage...
    edited August 12, 2013
    Hi all, crits are not just welcomed they are needed. So please do.
    Can anyone please tell me how to change the text colour (color) of gallery names along the bottom of gallery thumbnails?
    Thanks! -isn't this fun?

Very nice, clean design.
    edited August 12, 2013
    Wow!, Tom! Nice!

It's not obvious on your Homepage that part of it is below the viewer's sceen. That part is just as nice (or nicer than) the slide show. Perhaps your Portfolio menu could link a folder which looks like the lower part of your Homepage and then tier down from there. I know it's hard to give up the slide show....I've thought about the same thing!

The layout of your Portfolio page is very nice!

Another thing I noticed.....a gallery bread crumb might indicate the upper level as Landscapes....but Landscapes were not on the Portfolio page....somewhat confusing for a viewer.

Thanks Karen. Maybe I should change the name of the Portfolio page to Galleries since it links to galleries while on my home page those link to folders, like categories. My thought was the home page links were more like shortcuts to those galleries in that category.
    I'll try to see if I can simplify it
    edited August 12, 2013
    Cheers

Laurie,

Very nice and clean site. I was a little confused on how to get to your galleries, maybe a menu or enter site under the slideshow?
    edited August 12, 2013
    TomRoper wrote: »
    Laurie,

Very nice and clean site. I was a little confused on how to get to your galleries, maybe a menu or enter site under the slideshow?

Yeah I have to fix the menu at the top, after looking a couple of users pages I will probably implement a simple menu along the top. On the legacy site the slideshow was also a link entering into my portfolio.

Thanks for the comment and looking!
  • gadgetgeekgadgetgeek Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2013
    Geoff Faulkner Photography
    I wrapped up most of the changes to my site today. There are many things about the new designer and designs that I like. I'm hoping this new design will give a fresh look to my site. The new site inspired me to redesign my logo as well!

http://www.geofffaulkner.com/

Geoff
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Thanks Karen. Maybe I should change the name of the Portfolio page to Galleries since it links to galleries while on my home page those link to folders, like categories. My thought was the home page links were more like shortcuts to those galleries in that category.
    I'll try to see if I can simplify it

One thing you can do is add a link to your navbar that jumps below the slideshow to the lower half of your page. Its a little fiddly, but its what i've done if someone clicks on the 'Galleries' button on my site rather than one of the specific submenus. No loading time needed!

quick how to:
    - 1) add a HTML box just below the slideshow, with the following code:
    <a id="Galleries"></a>

- 2) use a custom link and specify the entire URL for that button. In my case its

www.paulbrockphotography.co.uk/#Galleries
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    gadgetgeek wrote: »
    I wrapped up most of the changes to my site today. There are many things about the new designer and designs that I like. I'm hoping this new design will give a fresh look to my site. The new site inspired me to redesign my logo as well!

http://www.geofffaulkner.com/

Geoff

You have a couple of different watermarks on your homepage images. Your services link goes back to the homepage. Not sure what the view your photos is supposed to do, but it doesn't appear like a clear direction. Is it a place for clients or an expanded portfolio?
    Steve

Website
  • gadgetgeekgadgetgeek Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2013
    You have a couple of different watermarks on your homepage images. Your services link goes back to the homepage. Not sure what the view your photos is supposed to do, but it doesn't appear like a clear direction. Is it a place for clients or an expanded portfolio?

Thanks, Steve. You pegged the few changes I still want to make. Watermarks has been a thorn in my side as any change to watermarks needs to set in each gallery individually. I hated the way that watermarks with my old logo appeared on the site so I created the new "lite" version that seems less intrusive. I'm hoping to carve out some time to go through and re-watermark all the photos with the new mark.

I was attempting to make "services" a top-level roll up menu, but have the menu fully expanded all the time. I wasn't able to make that happen. So for now it points to the home page. It gives me an opportunity to describe my services for customers.

"View your photos" seems pretty clear to me that's where I want customers to go to view their photos. But I'll consider the wording. All photo galleries are under this Photos folder.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Watermarks has been a thorn in my side as any change to watermarks needs to set in each gallery individually.

I understand that. I have 160 galleries that were done 1 at a time.
    "View your photos" seems pretty clear to me that's where I want customers to go to view their photos. But I'll consider the wording. All photo galleries are under this Photos folder.

I'm just used to seeing clients or customers. Once I clicked on the galleries it seems easy enough to get around. As long as your customers know the way, don't worry about the words.
    Steve

Website
    edited August 12, 2013
    Laurie,

Made a couple of changes. Hopefully it's a little more clear.
    edited August 12, 2013
    Made a couple of changes. Hopefully it's a little more clear.

Looks good Laurie, the menu helps. :D
    edited August 12, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    One thing you can do is add a link to your navbar that jumps below the slideshow to the lower half of your page. Its a little fiddly, but its what i've done if someone clicks on the 'Galleries' button on my site rather than one of the specific submenus. No loading time needed!

quick how to:
    - 1) add a HTML box just below the slideshow, with the following code:
    <a id="Galleries"></a>

- 2) use a custom link and specify the entire URL for that button. In my case its

www.paulbrockphotography.co.uk/#Galleries

Thanks Paul. I'm not sure how I'm going to try to organize everything. You can see the same galleries on the galleries page but the folders on the home page are more like a group of those galleries.
    I've forgotten about using a jump to get to sections of pages.