Options

*** new comments and critiques procedure ***

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 1, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
the c & c thread *is* getting a bit unmanageable. let's try something new, okay?

go to www.dgrin.smugmug.com

at bottom of page, click "login"
username is "dgrin" (no quotes)
use guest password "dgrinchallenge" (no quotes)

upload your photos. comment and critique away using the comments button right there in the gallery. don't forget to add a caption (title) to your photo, and put your name on it to. use the html tag <br>to make a new line for your name.

for example

"how much is that doggie in the window"<br>
by jane challenger

*** if you are a smugmug user, you must first "logout" of your own account before you can "login" as a guest user on the dgrin.smugmug.com account.

the password is dgrinchallenge

have fun, kids.

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    This is an interesting approach, cudos to the person that thought of it. I hope it cuts down on the duplication and confusion.

Just a question, you will have to click on a photo to see if there are any new comments, right?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    This is an interesting approach, cudos to the person that thought of it. I hope it cuts down on the duplication and confusion.

Just a question, you will have to click on a photo to see if there are any new comments, right?

you are most welcome, greaps :D yeah, you have to click on "add comment" then to view comments, you click on the hyperlinked word "comments" below the photo
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    Psst, Andy... your benevolence is showing.:D
    Thanks for your efforts.clap.gif

Tim
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    the c & c thread *is* getting a bit unmanageable. let's try something new, okay?

have fun, kids.
    I imagine the serious users will like this. I cannot imagine that I will. It will cut out the spontenaity, etc.

I will go look at it, but I hardly ever log out of smugmug, I certainly don't want to go in, pick out a photo, copy in the share page, log out, log in somewhere else, and .....................well, I am sorry if the happy birthday thing caused this, because I hate to say I don't like it, but I don't.

I am sure everyone else will.

Enjoy, I will watch for a bit, perhaps, if I ever log out of smugmug, my acct.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    This seems like a good idea basically, but maybe we can make it a little better. I made a feature request for pro accounts to Baldy; could we allow guests to upload pictures to galleries to enable colaboration. He said the feature was already there for pro accounts, but not on a per gallery basis. So if there were a challenge account, anyone with the passowrd could upload to it (wiout logging out of his/her smugmug account) and also comment.

Baldy, are you out there? Do I have this right? Can we use this? I think it would be a little more convienient.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    ginger, it's a cinch... please
    give it a try. loging out of your smugmug acct takes about .3 seconds :D

you just upload the photo from your computer, the same way you do for your own gallery. that takes about 15 seconds. all in all, this should make things easier for everyone. all comments for a pic will be underneath that pic. good for you as you post your shots, good for the others that you comment on, which you do so well.

it's new - okay - and you'll have to get used to it. but it's certainly not difficult, i promise.

give it a try, don't stop doing what you're doing, okay? deal.gif
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I imagine the serious users will like this. I cannot imagine that I will. It will cut out the spontenaity, etc.

I will go look at it, but I hardly ever log out of smugmug, I certainly don't want to go in, pick out a photo, copy in the share page, log out, log in somewhere else, and .....................well, I am sorry if the happy birthday thing caused this, because I hate to say I don't like it, but I don't.

I am sure everyone else will.

Enjoy, I will watch for a bit, perhaps, if I ever log out of smugmug, my acct.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    Actually, I don't understand most of what anyone is saying. I printed out Andy's instructions, I clicked on the site, saw Andy's bridge, made a comment about how I didn't have to use a password, saw it by the bridge, looked quite cold and professional.

Sorry Rutt, I don't understand any of this, maybe just too much in a short time, or maybe I need to buy a book on it, but I don't understand what you said.

And I am glad everyone is happy.

ginger

Actually, I feel like someone came and took something nice away from me, and I am kind of in shock, a bit angry, and I know you all like it, I just don't.

But, do you think you are going to gain people this way? That was your goal yesterday, is this how to gain people?

Or just change the demographics.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    give it a try. loging out of your smugmug acct takes about .3 seconds :D

you just upload the photo from your computer, the same way you do for your own gallery. that takes about 15 seconds. all in all, this should make things easier for everyone. all comments for a pic will be underneath that pic. good for you as you post your shots, good for the others that you comment on, which you do so well.

it's new - okay - and you'll have to get used to it. but it's certainly not difficult, i promise.

give it a try, don't stop doing what you're doing, okay? deal.gif

What about the camaraderie, the fun, the caring?

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    ginger, i see your comment on entire gallery.
    you can comment without logging in. you must log in to upload a photo.

btw - you commented on the entire gallery, not an individual photo. just so you know :D
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger

ginger dude - you can still say the same exact things in the comments section that you say in the thread! honestly, give it a go, i'm sure you'll get the hang of it. you shouldn't lose out on any of the experience.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    ginger dear
    don't be so blue - there's no need to buy a book, i promise you. you already are a smugmug user. you know how to do this stuff in your sleep :D
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Actually, I don't understand most of what anyone is saying. I printed out Andy's instructions, I clicked on the site, saw Andy's bridge, made a comment about how I didn't have to use a password, saw it by the bridge, looked quite cold and professional.

Sorry Rutt, I don't understand any of this, maybe just too much in a short time, or maybe I need to buy a book on it, but I don't understand what you said.

And I am glad everyone is happy.

ginger

Actually, I feel like someone came and took something nice away from me, and I am kind of in shock, a bit angry, and I know you all like it, I just don't.

But, do you think you are going to gain people this way? That was your goal yesterday, is this how to gain people?

Or just change the demographics.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    Great idea. I think this will be a lot easier for people to view photos, comment and share ideas. Honestly, there is no way in hell I was going to try & keep up with the C&C threads. I just don't have the time.

It is definitely worth a try.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger
    At some times, we had like a conversation going, and we could see what everyone was doing, now we will only be able to see what we know we want to see, right? Like if I post a photo I am working on, and I want comments, someone will come in and make helpful comments, but it will lose the sense of teamwork, and will be more like "my photo".

I mean I cared who won this Challenge, it is why I use dGrin. If it is just my photo, well, I only do photography for the fun of it.

ginger

(I know I don't like change, but I carefully look for what I do like. When I find it, why would I want it to change. I do like what you just said about the upload, but then I will probably not use smugmug much, no need.) If I do this.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    don't over-complicate things ging... you'll see. you can "banter" in teh comments section. it's easier to see all the photos on one page rather than sort thru 20 or 30 pages and 500 posts in the comments thread.

trust me. would i steer you wrong, ginger? :sweet
    ginger_55 wrote:
    At some times, we had like a conversation going, and we could see what everyone was doing, now we will only be able to see what we know we want to see, right? Like if I post a photo I am working on, and I want comments, someone will come in and make helpful comments, but it will lose the sense of teamwork, and will be more like "my photo".

I mean I cared who won this Challenge, it is why I use dGrin. If it is just my photo, well, I only do photography for the fun of it.

ginger

(I know I don't like change, but I carefully look for what I do like. When I find it, why would I want it to change. I do like what you just said about the upload, but then I will probably not use smugmug much, no need.) If I do this.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    At some times, we had like a conversation going, and we could see what everyone was doing, now we will only be able to see what we know we want to see, right?

I think a thread dedicated to ramblings would be best for the "Wide Angle" forum. We could create a thread aimed at nothing but conversations. As far as posting your pictures & ideas in a forum, you created a blog last week, but it has been neglected. I keep checking back for updates, but find nothing. Here is the link:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2363
    Dave
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    Ginger, or anyone else, you can always start a thread and see who comes. It won't be "sticky" unless you get a moderator to make it so, but I'll bet they would do that. Then people will vote with their feet. (Err, fingers.)

I'm sort of a fremarketer at heart.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    OK, I tried it and...
    I only have one problem.

I viewed the pics and made a comment. Figured out that I put my name in and no email or anything else is needed. Fine so far.

But--- posting a picture is harder. I will have to resize everything that I post. Right now I upload my full size file to my account. That way I have the resolution needed for large prints. When I link to dgrin they automatically resize the photo when I select M or L . I just keep the gallery so that the original is not available to viewers. As I see it, I can't do that here. I have to post a low resolution file because all the camera info and file info and image size is accessable. I don't want everyone to have that. Am I right here? I will have to do a "save for the web" size file for anything that I post on this new site?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I think a thread dedicated to ramblings would be best for the "Wide Angle" forum. We could create a thread aimed at nothing but conversations. As far as posting your pictures & ideas in a forum, you created a blog last week, but it has been neglected. I keep checking back for updates, but find nothing. Here is the link:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2363
    Dave

Hey Dave,

I never saw that thread. No wonder it never got going. The problem is these things don't stay on top unless someone - even Ginger herself- posts something. If not they just move down the list and nobody sees them. I remember posting a picture for comments once and I finally had to put a comment in the current comments thread asking for someone to take a look. So these things sometimes don't work. Ginger started a thread on "Doors" and "Windows". I picked it up and kept on posting until some other people discovered it. It's been fun. A nice distraction from the challenge. But, it has to have current posts to stay alive.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    you can comment without logging in. you must log in to upload a photo.

:D
    I HAD to log in to post a comment Andy.

The thing that I do not like is that the comments are anonymous umph.gif - This means that I will devalue them, because I do not know who posted them. Comments have to be taken differently depending on whom they came from. eek7.gif

Also there are no smilies - I complained about that in my comment - and I am sorry, but I think the emoticons ARE really necessary to communicate our intentions clearly. Many of our comments are in jest or light hearted and can easily be misinterpreted with out the emoticons to help spell out our intentions. Criticsim with out being leavened with emoticons can be kind of harsh sometimes. ne_nau.gif

I may siding with Ginger here. headscratch.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    andy wrote:

upload your photos. comment and critique away using the comments button right there in the gallery. don't forget to add a caption (title) to your photo, and put your name on it to. use the html tag <br>to make a new line for your name.

for example

by jane challenger

*** if you are a smugmug user, you must first "logout" of your own account before you can "login" as a guest user on the dgrin.smugmug.com account.

have fun, kids.
    Next time I will remember to sign my comment, but at first pass this can be workable
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Next time I will remember to sign my comment, but at first pass this can be workable
    You're right cmr, I could have signed my comment on the dgrin.smugmug screen. I did not remember that - I wonder how many other posters will do that also. Like I said, I do not place much value on anonymous comments - including my own!:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I HAD to log in to post a comment Andy.

The thing that I do not like is that the comments are anonymous umph.gif - This means that I will devalue them, because I do not know who posted them. Comments have to be taken differently depending on whom they came from. eek7.gif

Also there are no smilies - I complained about that in my comment - and I am sorry, but I think the emoticons ARE really necessary to communicate our intentions clearly. Many of our comments are in jest or light hearted and can easily be misinterpreted with out the emoticons to help spell out our intentions. Criticsim with out being leavened with emoticons can be kind of harsh sometimes. ne_nau.gif

I may siding with Ginger here. headscratch.gif

Pathfinder,
    I tried it. I did not have to log in to comment. It asks you to log in, but just below that it says OR put your name and or email address here. I just put Snappy and no email and it went along fine. If you don't put your name on that line, it would be anonamous. But, just put in your name and it's fine. Take a look at my comments on the pics.

I agree with you about the smilies. They do help.
    I have a problem with posting pics. I don't like to have to resize everything before I upload. And I don't like having to upload twice. Once to my site and once to dGrin's site. Then we probably have to upload a third time for the actual entry on dGrin's entry thread.

So, there, I vented. Now I'll take a deep breath and wait for Andy to get back to me.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    of logging in, names, and smilies
    dudes and dudettes:

you don't need to login to simply make comments on people's pics. you can just put your name in the name field. email addy is not required, either. or you can leave these blank, make your comment, and sign your name like this:

"hey this pic is really great. it could be outstanding if you bumped the exposure up just a bit, and maybe crop out the left 1/4 of the frame... -- andy"

not hard, right?

regarding smilies - so you do it the old-fashioned way guys! c'mon :) just like this :-) it's really easy :P and if you want to go hog wild, you can give theme a ^5.

here are some common emoticons, old-fashioned style:

:-) Standard Smiley (you are joking; satisfied)
    :) Standard Smiley for lazy people
    :-> Follows a really sarcastic remark
    (-: Left handed Smiley
    :-( Sad Smiley. You aren't joking; You are not satisfied
    :< Very Sad Smiley.
    :C Very Sad Smiley
    :-* Kissing Smiley

snapapple wrote:
    Pathfinder,
    I tried it. I did not have to log in to comment. It asks you to log in, but just below that it says OR put your name and or email address here. I just put Snappy and no email and it went along fine. If you don't put your name on that line, it would be anonamous. But, just put in your name and it's fine. Take a look at my comments on the pics.

I agree with you about the smilies. They do help.
    I have a problem with posting pics. I don't like to have to resize everything before I upload. And I don't like having to upload twice. Once to my site and once to dGrin's site. Then we probably have to upload a third time for the actual entry on dGrin's entry thread.

So, there, I vented. Now I'll take a deep breath and wait for Andy to get back to me.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    snappy - re posting the pics
    you can load the full size file, or you can resize to 800x600 your choice. no reason to use "save for web" but you can if you like. i prefer "save as" becuase it keeps the exif.

snapapple wrote:
    I only have one problem.

I viewed the pics and made a comment. Figured out that I put my name in and no email or anything else is needed. Fine so far.

But--- posting a picture is harder. I will have to resize everything that I post. Right now I upload my full size file to my account. That way I have the resolution needed for large prints. When I link to dgrin they automatically resize the photo when I select M or L . I just keep the gallery so that the original is not available to viewers. As I see it, I can't do that here. I have to post a low resolution file because all the camera info and file info and image size is accessable. I don't want everyone to have that. Am I right here? I will have to do a "save for the web" size file for anything that I post on this new site?
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Ginger, or anyone else, you can always start a thread and see who comes. It won't be "sticky" unless you get a moderator to make it so, but I'll bet they would do that. Then people will vote with their feet. (Err, fingers.)

I'm sort of a fremarketer at heart.
    I agree totally.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    :- (

:<

:- C
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    :- (

:<

:- C
    Ginger;
    Please try to get to like this method. The other way was only good for the few people with lots of time to read dgrin several times each day.

Hugs
    Charles
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I agree totally.
    I don't understand lots of the terminology/jargon that is being used, I neither know what a fremarketer is, nor do I know what a freemarketer is, and in what way you are relating it to this change.

That is one example of how I feel about this.

It will not be the same, not here/there, nor on the different threads. That is the purpose of this thing.

I did not keep up with my blog thing, because the comment was made that it was nice that now I could just put all my ramblings and things there. I thought that is right, I will be alone rambling down here in my own blog. That was not what I wanted. I don't much like writing, I do like sharing.

The threads that are going, imo, get "pity" visits from people who, for whatever reason, make it a habit to go around making sure everything gets some attention.

On the Challenge we were all working towards a purpose. I did not feel I was getting a pity visit. There was real "life" in the challenge. That is what I felt.

Some people had no problem that I know of with the comments and critique thread, they posted their entries directly onto the submission thread, bypassing that awkward critique thread.

: C

ginger:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Ginger;
    Please try to get to like this method. The other way was only good for the few people with lots of time to read dgrin several times each day.

Hugs
    Charles

YOu did not have to read it, as I said, many did not, they posted their entry and went on their way.

ginger
  • Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    andy wrote:

for example

by jane challenger

have fun, kids.
    Hey - I just linked to this thread from dgrin.smugmug - here:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/201635/1/7711449/Large

...and am now testing to verify that one can link to a particular post within a thread ...

Gary