Options

*** new comments and critiques procedure ***

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    Rutt, your absolutely right...
    rutt wrote:
    I just want to make the point one more time. You control what you upload to the dgrin.smugmug.com gallery. If you don't want originals released, don't upload them there. Then there is absolutely no danger at all, because the originals won't be there. It's actually one of the beauties of the new system. Even if someone managed to break in (as I did the other night, sort of by mistake), the originals wouldn't be there to take.

So if we take this attitude, you upload exactly what you want to make available for others to edit, etc. No more. You can keep originals or not and grant access or not in your own galleries.

I just want everyone to have the facts right when they think about this.

We should upload only what we want to make public ie. 600 x 800 images. But, if we direct people to our Smugmug site for originals, we have to be careful what we put there, or how private it is. I always upload the original image there so I can order large prints. I think Ginger may have forgotten about some of the evil that lurks out there in the world. I just want everyone to be safe from harm.
    :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    Hmmm... it's not working. The login doesn't work, possibly because when I go to www.dgrin.smugmug.com, I get forwarded to www.smugmug.com.

Drat... and I got some good pics today.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    We should upload only what we want to make public ie. 600 x 800 images. But, if we direct people to our Smugmug site for originals, we have to be careful what we put there, or how private it is. I always upload the original image there so I can order large prints. I think Ginger may have forgotten about some of the evil that lurks out there in the world. I just want everyone to be safe from harm.
    :D
    You notice, Snappy......... I actually never knew. I used to have a theory that if someone wanted something on their conscience that bad, kind of go ahead.

I do lock my car doors now. I guess I will have to be more vigilant with my photos, but I have to get around to it. I don't usually put originals there. How does anyone get originals from a photoshopped print. That is kind of confusing to me.

I do put originals there if someone wants to work on them, like please, yes, do my work for me. And they are not under lock and key, I had better watch that.

Can they get the originals if I haven't put them down there?

Rutt, Snappy??

ginger

I went ahead and worked up some photos, I have one song title for this, so might put one up, or two. If I put them up, hehe, check them out.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    johnny, is it still happening? I tried and got to the dgrin page OK. Let me know if you still cannot reach it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    johnny, is it still happening? I tried and got to the dgrin page OK. Let me know if you still cannot reach it.
    Me too, no problems
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    It's working now, thanks.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    if you make a mistake
    It's working now, thanks.

and mistype the url, you'll get to the www.smugmug.com homepage :D

cheers
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2004
    Please make comments on my choice for the Challenge
    I am changing the song to Honky Tonk Angels, suggested by Lynne. We have had no power, have no cable still, am on AOL dial up.
    I have looked for comments under each photograph and only one was from Lynne. I don't know whether that means you all don't like them, and don't know what to say, or whether you think ..............????
    We are going to watch a DVD, very frustrating day. Our house is not light enough to read in without power, except in one uncomfortable place.

So glad power came on, recharging cell batteries, I had no idea. In that one photo the shrimp boat is headed out to fish in the storm! I actually thought that was a good photo. Bill said that would have been his second choice. I also was not sure I chose the right shot of the girls. The one I did not choose, from further back, it shows more of the surroundings, but I picked the one I could discern in a thumbnail.

Thanks so much Lynn and anyone else who suggested different titles. Honky Tonk Angels suits very well, do you all not think?

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2004
    Yes, a much better title.

Now, how about trying the other way around, thinking of a song title then trying to match a shot to it?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Yes, a much better title.

Now, how about trying the other way around, thinking of a song title then trying to match a shot to it?
    I started out that way, I have been looking for a photo for Poems, Prayers and Promises since I started. Another one, too. OH yes, Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine. The OLd Dogs song is too hard for me to put together, not having the children. The poems prayers and promises were to be the SPCA dogs that everyone loves to hate.

I have always taken advantage of what was in front of me photographically. I go with preconceived ideas, take it, if it is there, then just start following my nose and my feet. Usually my best is not what I came for. I can't just change that now. I can shoot for the song, again, but it probably won't be my best photo. My dogs were shot for a song. They were time well spent, but not my best photos, IMO.

And, uh, I like what I have. I have put in tremendous hours to get it, them, neglected all sorts of things. Almost broke my hearing aids in the rain, finally left them off and went around totally deaf in a storm, taking photos, standing under any kind of cover to delete some photos, to take more. And sometimes that cover was only turning my back to the wind.

My camera bag is still wet, and I really like what I have.........kind of like you and the stadium. We all know I live to shoot. Well, I shot this assignment, it is those girls, or the Trawler. Now I am ready for the next assignment, which is a week away. I am going to try to force myself to sit on it. Or try turning something I have into food for Cletus workshops, which I have been ignoring.
    (I do have to order a tripod, as the person who loans me his tripod is getting nasty about wanting it back. I want one to have in my car, always. For the next assignment.) I am sure I will find a reason to really need a tripod sometime.

Sid, I put a lot into this. More time than some people put in totally. I have twelve folders on my hard drive of photos for songs, some taken specifically for a song. The only thing I would shoot, but you and I know it wouldn't match what I have, is Country Roads. I love that song, and it would be an excuse to find a country road, never see those things anymore. Not here. I just couldn't do that today, all the bridges were closed. And I have some stuff I have to do tomorrow re an appt and getting insurance.

I shoot for a purpose, I always have done that, too, no audience: no photos, not much. Already I have at least two photos to put into the Challenge, no real audience for more. This is true in my whole life, I don't walk and I don't run, unless there is a reason. The best use of my time might be Shenanigans.

ginger
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2004
    So I've been watching here and it has turned out that we are posting photos on smugmug but we are still discussing the topic and photos here on dgrin. headscratch.gif

Now we have two places to discuss our photos for each challenge. Yet another step added.

Doug
  • Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2004
    smugmug bug spurious comments?
    Not sure whether this is appropriate place for this, but...

Has anyone else noticed that after browsing past an image on dgrin.smugmug that has no comment, all subsequent images viewed show the wrong comment?

Not sure where those wrong comments are coming from, maybe general gallery comments?

But it's very confusing when there ARE comments on a thread but the wrong comments are shown - you have to click the "view comments" link to view the correct comment.

I think this is a bug, but has anyone found a workaround? Or is it only happening to me?

-muddyknees
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2004
    muddyknees wrote:
    Not sure whether this is appropriate place for this, but...

Has anyone else noticed that after browsing past an image on dgrin.smugmug that has no comment, all subsequent images viewed show the wrong comment?

Not sure where those wrong comments are coming from, maybe general gallery comments?

But it's very confusing when there ARE comments on a thread but the wrong comments are shown - you have to click the "view comments" link to view the correct comment.

I think this is a bug, but has anyone found a workaround? Or is it only happening to me?

-muddyknees

Are you referring to the comments on the entire gallery? Maybe that's what's causing the confusion.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are you referring to the comments on the entire gallery? Maybe that's what's causing the confusion.
    Not sure where they are coming from - its a set of 3 comments, two by Ginette, one by dgrin. The first starts: "While I like the premis of this new thread...."

These same three comments appear whenever I have viewed comments on some photo in the Gallery but then move on to a photo without any comment. Then, even if I move on to a photo that has a comment, the wrong three comments still appear. This is using the "elegant" format, either by clicking on a thumbnail, or by clicking the arrow key to move to the next image.

You don't see this?

-muddyknees
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2004
    muddyknees wrote:
    Not sure where they are coming from - its a set of 3 comments, two by Ginette, one by dgrin. The first starts: "While I like the premis of this new thread...."

These same three comments appear whenever I have viewed comments on some photo in the Gallery but then move on to a photo without any comment. Then, even if I move on to a photo that has a comment, the wrong three comments still appear. This is using the "elegant" format, either by clicking on a thumbnail, or by clicking the arrow key to move to the next image.

You don't see this?

-muddyknees

Yes, I do. These are comments that were made on the entire gallery, not on specific images. That's the "Comment on Gallery" function. You'll see them wherever you are in the gallery, unless you're viewing image specific comments. Just ignore them (no offense, Ginette!)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2004
    muddyknees wrote:

You don't see this?

-muddyknees
    No, I find the thread difficult to be observant of artist and photograph, to say the least of "comment".

However I liked the shadow on your rock, I just couldn't figure out what didn't belong, and I didn't say anything.

I am sure glad you posted, every time I have logged on it has been later, and nothing is new.......... I thought maybe they were down but not telling anyone.:D

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2004
    muddyknees wrote:

You don't see this?

-muddyknees

Muddy,
    What you are seeing is ginettes comments on the entire gallery. They stay up all the time, but the individual picture comments have to be clicked to show. I hope Andy or somebody takes thos comments off. They are very annoying and distracting.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Muddy,
    What you are seeing is ginettes comments on the entire gallery. They stay up all the time, but the individual picture comments have to be clicked to show. I hope Andy or somebody takes thos comments off. They are very annoying and distracting.
    OK - having looked more closely I see I've just been getting confused at my own behavior - when I was browsing using the arrow keys after viewing some image's comment, I would then _unconsiously_ switch back to "thumbnail mode" (eg., the "elegant" style - not sure what to call the format that lacks the thumbnails but has the individual image comments).

I must be tired, thats all.

Thanks for your responses as well, Ginger and DavidTo.

Gary
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    muddyknees wrote:
    OK - having looked more closely I see I've just been getting confused at my own behavior - when I was browsing using the arrow keys after viewing some image's comment, I would then _unconsiously_ switch back to "thumbnail mode" (eg., the "elegant" style - not sure what to call the format that lacks the thumbnails but has the individual image comments).

I must be tired, thats all.

Thanks for your responses as well, Gina and DavidTo.

Gary
    You can browse using the arrow keys? That might be helpful, so you bypass the thumbnails that way?

Tired? I can match you,rolleyes1.gif Slept two hours last night.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    The shrimp boats
    Ginger,
    I like the shrimp boats you entered. I would try to find a better song. I think the song is important. This picture has the better composition of the two, but the other has better color in the sky.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger,
    I like the shrimp boats you entered. I would try to find a better song. I think the song is important. This picture has the better composition of the two, but the other has better color in the sky.
    which two?
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    No, I find the thread difficult to be observant of artist and photograph, to say the least of "comment".
    Yeah, there's a lot of info to keep track of at once. That's why I was just trying to focus on the comments, not even noticing that the page style had changed - no more (elegant-style) thumbnails...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    However I liked the shadow on your rock, I just couldn't figure out what didn't belong, and I didn't say anything.
    I'm wanting to do another version of that posterized rock - less extreme - focusing more on the rock and "island"-sea-stack, and less on the "aura" from the sun's glare.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am sure glad you posted, every time I have logged on it has been later, and nothing is new.......... I thought maybe they were down but not telling anyone.:D

ginger
    I guess you're relying on email notices of new posts to the threads here?
    That is convenient and missing with the "new system".

That's why I had suggested earlier in this thread that a "hybrid" solution might work, whereby one would link to a thread here from the image there. (It is more work - the posting process would be to 1. post the pic on dgrin.smugmug, 2. start a new thread here and copy the URL of that thread. 3. Go back to dgrin.smugmug and add a comment in which you paste the URL of the thread on dgrin. Whew!

Someone here suggested another solution to the enormous comments thread problem: just create your own individual thread - one per image. The problem with that I guess is that the threads individual threads quickly drop from sight (not on page one - especially with a full page of "sticky threads").

Of course the same "position" problem is evident in the smugmug gallery - where my photo's for ex are on pg 5 - guess thats just a general problem on the whole web - just too much competition. ne_nau.gif

-gary muddyknees
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Muddy,
    I found the comments on the entire gallery rather distracting as well while I was viewing the photos. For the sake of aesthetics and easy voting I removed them. I hope this is ok. I didn't mean to offend anyone, especially Ginette, by doing that.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    So I've been watching here and it has turned out that we are posting photos on smugmug but we are still discussing the topic and photos here on dgrin. headscratch.gif

Now we have two places to discuss our photos for each challenge. Yet another step added.

Doug
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif People. Can't live with them, can't live without them. lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    Ginger,
    ginger_55 wrote:
    which two?

The other one, with the boat straight forward, called Fare Thee Well.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    Okay, Gary's page makes three discussion threads linked to the one page of challenge photos. Plus there are the comments on the photo page itself. So to keep up, now you have to visit four different places all together.

eek7.gif

Want to post or browse the photos in the challenge? Okay go here:
    http://www.dgrin.smugmug.com/

Want to read comments or questions about the photos that aren't on the above page? Go here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2426

Want to view or post the final entries? Okay, you have to here then:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2398

Want to see the experiemental thread for muddyknees' photos, then you have to go yet somewhere else...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2494

Oh yeah, once we get to the the voting stage of the challenge we have to start even another thread, that will make a fifth place we need to go to.

If we are trying to confuse new users (and maybe some experienced ones) I think we've got the perfect formula. It's obvious that people that are involved in these challenges want to have the discussion right here on dgin.com and not some little comment window below the photos.

Can we please go back to the old way?

Doug
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    Doug, Rutt just started a great new brainstorming thread re the Challenge Photos, also. I didn't know about Gary's, or know Gary, for that matter.
    Rutt's thread is on dGrin under Challenges, he has commented, and so have I.

Just so you can keep your "column" up todate on the threads..........

I also posted what is probably my entry for the Challenge, sigh.

ginger (And they thought I was a spoiler and just whining, shhhh, I didn't say thatmwink.gif )
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    ginger (And they thought I was a spoiler and just whining, shhhh, I didn't say thatmwink.gif )
    I agreed with you from day one on this issue Ginger. I, personally can keep up with this current format, I don't like it as much but I have no problem shooting around to 4 or 5 different places to read and comment about one particular challenge.

However, thinking about newcomers I think this multi-step, multi-positioned format for posting, commenting and replying would be quite confusing.

Doug
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    I agreed with you from day one on this issue Ginger. I, personally can keep up with this current format, I don't like it as much but I have no problem shooting around to 4 or 5 different places to read and comment about one particular challenge.

However, thinking about newcomers I think this multi-step, multi-positioned format for posting, commenting and replying would be quite confusing.

Doug
    Well, I had to "draw" a position map, along with photo names, to get a friend, someone who wanted to, to comment on my photos. A lot of mine are on page 5, too, plus another page, I forget, maybe 3.

I found her new photo by accident, last night, and commented on it. It was purely by accident that I saw it, although she had told me about it. It is great, top of the world, mtns, and a dog...........great dog, a painterly look to the photograph. It used to be on the last page, don't know now.

me again
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2004
    Like the many replys before me, I have definite opinions on the new challenge format. (I have humbly placed my own soapbox before you ... :D )

I joined smugmug in the early spring and immediately found dgrin and the many popular threads. Even a few months ago, the challenge threads to me were like a slow moving stream... friendly and inviting. I wan't sure if I was good enough to "swim" in this new body of water (and still don't), but I jumped in and the water seemed pretty good. But as with most streams they eventually become bigger and faster ...

I don't begrudge those who can spend many hours a day on dgrin. I would spend more time if I could. But the reality is, I have a busy life (including having some fun with photography) and I share my computer time in the evening so that my wife can use it too. The past couple of months, I could only make it back once every day or so and I literally was reading through HUNDREDS of posts (or should I say trying to read ...).

One of the basic tenants of our challenge format was that you "have to give to get". So I would respond to some photos that I felt I had something worthwhile to contribute and sometimes post a photo of my own. Returning sometimes only a day later, I was faced with reading/scanning 60+ replies, just to see if anyone had anything to say about my photo. Heaven help me if I couldn't return for 3 days! It just got to be too much work for something that is supposed to be fun for me.

So I've gradually pulled back from the challenges, still undecided whether to stay or go. But this new challenge critique format, despite a few shortcomings, works for me.

This is what I like best about it:

1. For me, the most important element of this process is still the photo! The thing I love most is looking at all the photographs that get submitted (and the photos in these challenges are outstanding!). I'm a visual person ... This format lets me immediately go to the photo that most draws my attention. I can study it, enjoy it, play with it, and after all that, even comment on it. I can then CHOOSE to read through any comment on the given photo.

2. Less BLOG. Some of the posts in the old format were interesting to me, but in a lot of cases, it was simply of interest to the original sender/recipient.

3. Now if I were to enter a challenge, I would actually have a snowball's chance in finding the one or two replies that I might receive on my pictures. At the moment, my time is limited and this format still allows someone like me to benefit.

Many people are longing for the past. There are things from the past I also wish we still had ... People like Humungus that got Rutt? WxWax? to take a picture of the inside of his fridge rolleyes1.gif , challenge threads that I could actually get through in under an hour, etc.

Some seem worried that new people won't be able to "manage" the many points of entry. Just because someone is possibly new to digital photography, it doesn't mean that they don't know their way around a website. I personally believe that there are more people like me that simply find the shear volume more a barrier to entry than the technology ...

I vote to give the new challenge format a try ...

Thanks for the opportunity to respond. We still have one of the best communities going ...
    Best regards,
    Brad