The Great Nikon vs. Canon Debate

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 11, 2006
    More recent. Shot with a Nikon 50mm 1.4D.
    55505236-S.jpg

So do these count as "people"? Both with ancient tech (D100 body) by the way. Us Nikonians don't need the latest gee whiz tech to take photos. rolleyes1.gif

Hell yeah! This last one is great. I love the expressions the lighting and
    colors.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Hell yeah! This last one is great. I love the expressions the lighting and
    colors.
    Thanks ian. :D

I was pretty happy how that one came out also. I did that one for a friend that's been helping the family out recently. It was really important to me to capture that "something" in it because it's intended as a gift.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Hum..A job for underemployed Ruttheadscratch.gif I have visions, scary yes/no?

Dry, sometimes caustic, wit. Deep dark thoughts, moody, pondering the universe of color and light. A black cape, carries a cain. Ohoo I see it. A bunch of hungry, for knowledge, apprentices following him every where waiting for pearls of wisdom to drop from his lips. A professor of the arts!

The above is not as tongue in cheek as you might think.

Ok back to my corner

The above isn't meant in a snide or derogatory way at all
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Since where on the Nikon vs Canon thing. How does Nikon customer service rank? To me pretty bad. News about banding on the new D200 and Nikon's response to it is pretty much, just print smaller then A3 and you shouldn't have a problem.

Here's the thread on FM

[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    News about banding on the new D200 and Nikon's response to it is pretty much, just print smaller then A3 and you shouldn't have a problem.[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

yikes:eek1
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited February 11, 2006
    Since where on the Nikon vs Canon thing. How does Nikon customer service rank? To me pretty bad. News about banding on the new D200 and Nikon's response to it is pretty much, just print smaller then A3 and you shouldn't have a problem.

Here's the thread on FM

[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    So the slew of cameras that have been fixed under warranty constitutes poor service in your opinion? Maybe they should just ignore the problem for a long time like Canon did with the infamous grip fiasco and then finally do something after it passed into irrelevance for most users? Keep in mind that most of those with "problems" banding are trying to create banding that isn't there normally. How about purposefully exposing +4EV at 400ISO for fun? I still don't see the huge problem some "people" talk about.ne_nau.gif

Just for the record I don't see customer service as an advantage of either system.
    edited February 11, 2006
    So the slew of cameras that have been fixed under warranty constitutes poor service in your opinion? Maybe they should just ignore the problem for a long time like Canon did with the infamous grip fiasco and then finally do something after it passed into irrelevance for most users? Keep in mind that most of those with "problems" banding are trying to create banding that isn't there normally. How about purposefully exposing +4EV at 400ISO for fun? I still don't see the huge problem some "people" talk about.ne_nau.gif

Just for the record I don't see customer service as an advantage of either system.
    Let me add that you are linking a thread on FM to DPReview. If you'd spend some time in the forum there you'd see the host of people that don't have a problem with the D200 and banding, the few that have had a problem but had it fixed under warranty, and then the vocal minority that haven't had a problem (or even own a D200) but want to condemn the camera or have had a problem but refuse to acknowledge posts asking them why they haven't given Nikon a chance to fix it yet. I always thought that some folks were a little paranoid when the spoke of company shills that posted on that web forum but the whole D200 thing even has me wondering.
    edited February 11, 2006
    If you look most of the people didn't have problems with the camera or cared about the banding, they were mad because Nikon seems to be blowing it off by just saying don't print anything larger then A3
    edited February 11, 2006
    If you look most of the people didn't have problems with the camera or cared about the banding, they were mad because Nikon seems to be blowing it off by just saying don't print anything larger then A3
    Hate to say it but I agree with Nikon in a way. If it were me they might have been madder even. My wording, "When you override matrix metering and do something silly such as shoot at higher ISO settings using +4 exposure compensation then your larger than A3 prints may exhibit troublesome artifacts. While this may be a problem, we feel it is more of a problem with the nut behind the camera than the camera itself. While we admit that matrix metering is not perfect and there are legitimate reasons to override matrix metering under many real world conditions, if you often find yourself at +4 exposure comp. then perhaps the problem is indeed you. Any camera pushed to the limits in such a manner should not be expected to output a perfect RAW file."
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    I'd have to give you the point on this:
    ...the infamous grip fiasco...

mynakedsoda, you are absolutely correct on this rolleyes1.gif

To this day I won't buy one, even though at times I would love to have one on my 20D to match the feel of my 1D.

Funny thing is, I bought one for my 300D and promptly returned it because it felt like a total piece o' crap. The one I bought for my Elan 7n that was $60 cheaper is actually better made.

If the best that Canon can do with their grips is this, they should drop them as an accessory. There is NO EXCUSE why they can't design and manufacture a proper grip-NONE.

This is one area they (Canon) should honestly be ashamed of themselves umph.gif
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
    edited February 11, 2006
    I've got a Grip on my 20D and love it, I don't know why you are bashing the grips. I wouldn't know what to do without my grip and I have a feeling alot of other Canon owners feel the same way.

Bottom line is that Nikon seems to be dropping the ball on this banding issue.
    edited February 11, 2006
    I've got a Grip on my 20D and love it, I don't know why you are bashing the grips. I wouldn't know what to do without my grip and I have a feeling alot of other Canon owners feel the same way.

Funny but wasn't there a recall concerning certain grips that Canon made? Grips they refused to acknowledge a problem about for quite a long time even? My point isn't to bash the grips. I won't even discuss at length the 20D firmware fiasco that I'm sure we all remember. Nikon certainly has problems from time to time also. My point is that it doesn't show one or the other has problems with in the customer service area. I don't know why you're trying to prove that one does. Atleast use a real issue to do so vs. the whole banding hysteria.
    edited February 11, 2006
    hmmm...let's see:
    ... I don't know why you are bashing the grips.

1. I am "bashing the grips" because, frankly, I feel they are poorly made, at least one (for the 20D) had major issues, and to me they feel 'cheap'. I had higher hopes that a company like Canon would manufacture a grip that had a better feel and was made signifantly better than the three grips I've owned or seen up close.

2. I am "bashing the grips" because I feel it is pretty lame that the grip they released for the 20D was plagued but problems and even the 'new and improved' ones are subject to problems reading the batteries properly. And as was pointed out, they basically ignored the issue for months and months on end, then after enough pressure issued a revamped grip.

3. I am "bashing the grips" because the one I purchased for my 300D felt like it was designed by someone with no concept of ergonomics or style. It looked like it was made for a camera that was twice the size of the 300D.

4. I am "bashing the grips" because even the higher end one for the 5D and most certainly the one for the 20D, and now the one shown in the leaked photos of the supposed 35D, all look like an add-on (which, admittedly they are). They are ugly and don't even blend in with the body. Compare this to the power booster designed for the EOS 3 film body and you will see what I mean, the transition is smooth and graceful. Yes I know the EOS 3 is a high end body, but guess what? It's cheaper (the body, not the booster) than I paid for ANY of my digitals and MUCH cheaper than the 5D. I'd rather pay the equivelent price of the booster-grip and get something that mas made right.

5. Lastly, I'll bash the grips because I'm spoiled. I shoot a lot with a 1D. The feel of the built in grip is amazing. Slim, svelte, and a joy to use for literally hours. Once you are used to that, the accessory grips currently offered just feel....pfffffttttt.....

'Bottom line' on the grips-Canon CAN and should re-think and redesign them to reflect the quality of their bodies. There is no reason to design a grip that flexes and looses contact with the body-that's just plain stupid.
    ...Bottom line is that Nikon seems to be dropping the ball on this banding issue.

Actually, I believe this is the real bottom line:

Whether or not Nikon *are* dropping the ball is up to Nikon users and customers to decide.

Whether or not Canon *has* dropped the ball (on many issues, including BANDING on several of their models) is up to me to decide as a Canon user.
    edited February 11, 2006
    I've had my grip on my 20D for over a year now, and would you know it, I've not had a single problem, never even had to retighten mine even after a year's worth of shooting. Seems like the "grip" is doing pretty good.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 12, 2006
    Way to latch on to something.

Kinda like the huge batches of 20D's at first that would barely work with any L lenses unless calibrated specifically for that body.

From personal experience, Canon customer service ain't all that much better. Unless you think shipping over $3000 worth of perfectly good glass to them so they can recalibrate your stinky err99 prone 20D is good.

Both companies have their problems, but, ah, why you reading so much about the D200? What do you care???... Hmmmm....
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    4. I am "bashing the grips" because even the higher end one for the 5D and most certainly the one for the 20D, and now the one shown in the leaked photos of the supposed 35D, all look like an add-on (which, admittedly they are). They are ugly and don't even blend in with the body.

the grip for the 10D is quite nice and blends in pefectly with the body, also pretty sturdythumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited February 12, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    but, ah, why you reading so much about the D200? What do you care???... Hmmmm....

Considering its one of the most talked about topics on FM its kinda hard to miss. But its seems no one on here bothered to post it, why is that I wonder....
    edited February 12, 2006
    You will all be happy to know that this morning, I was out gunned 3-1 while
    shooting at the Palo Alto Baylands...might have to consider swapping gear...

not.

--ian
    edited February 12, 2006
    Considering its one of the most talked about topics on FM its kinda hard to miss. But its seems no one on here bothered to post it, why is that I wonder....
    Maybe most folks here think it's more the photographers skill than the gear he's using and thus hardly care about an issue that might effect a camera they don't even own?ne_nau.gif
    edited February 12, 2006
    Maybe most folks here think it's more the photographers skill than the gear he's using and thus hardly care about an issue that might effect a camera they don't even own?ne_nau.gif

ROFL if thats the case when why do we now have over 10 pages of Canon vs Nikon?
    edited February 12, 2006
    ahh....
    I take no joy in the sufferings of my fellow photogs...

Therefore, I find it hard to feel good about someone investing in a camera (ANY camera...) and having to deal with any issues of any kind.

I'm attracted to Nikons simply because I can appreciate a well designed and executed piece of gear. (The cliche'd 'Ford vs Chevy' comparison comes to mind. While I may favor one or the other, I see no reason why I cannot simultaneously appreciate the design of the other-think '65 Mustang Fastback and '69 Chevy Chevelle SS! :): )

If money were not the issue that it is, I'd have no problem dropping a Nikon in my bag right next to my Canon.

Here's hoping *any* issues in anyone's camera or equipment are quickly and completely resolved.

Besides, It's much more fun bashing camera *owners* rather than their inanimate cameras thumb.gif

:D
    edited February 12, 2006

because it's entertaining ne_nau.gif

:uhoh
    edited February 12, 2006
    Boredom?ne_nau.gif

Do you truly feel that a great photograher couldn't output equally good work with either system?

The whole Nikon D200 thing at DPReview by the way, I've started following it more closely. The majority of complainers don't even own a D200.
    edited February 12, 2006
    The majority of complainers don't even own a D200.

I think you'll find that the case of almost any topic discussed in most
    forums :D
    edited February 12, 2006
    Boredom?ne_nau.gif
    Do you truly feel that a great photograher couldn't output equally good work with either system?

A great photographer can output work on about anything they use. But by your logic of photographer vs equipment then we shouldn't even have a Nikon vs Canon thread, it should be Photographer vs Photographer
    edited February 12, 2006
    A great photographer can output work on about anything they use. But by your logic of photographer vs equipment then we shouldn't even have a Nikon vs Canon thread, it should be Photographer vs Photographer
    I've seen service related fiascos involving both systems. Frankly if we are talking about Nikon and Canon, both systems are so well established and so deep that I wouldn't feel bad recommending either to most people. As always there are specific needs and ergonomics to consider but as far as having complete systems there seems to be little to consider between the two.

I find the original intent of this thread interesting. Amusing banter between two old friends. Those that would take it farther or take it serious miss the point IMO. In more ways than one.
    edited February 12, 2006
    "I'd like to have an argument please..."
    hmmm....headscratch.gif

This thread seems to have become the "jdsphotography vs. mynakedsoda" thread...

I'm gone back to the doghouse...1drink.gif

(now where'd I put that snow shovel ne_nau.gif )

Take care and goodlight,

Mongrel
    edited February 12, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    hmmm....headscratch.gif

This thread seems to have become the "jdsphotography vs. mynakedsoda" thread...

I'm gone back to the doghouse...1drink.gif

(now where'd I put that snow shovel ne_nau.gif )

Take care and goodlight,

Mongrel
    Laughing.gif!rolleyes1.gif That is has.
    Just for you, Ford...
    Found
    On
    Road
    Dead
    :argue
    (For all those Chevy vs. Ford fanatics that make holy warriors and photographers look like sissies, I'm kidding.)
    :hide
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Laughing.gif!rolleyes1.gif That is has.
    Just for you, Ford...
    Found
    On
    Road
    Dead
    :argue
    (For all those Chevy vs. Ford fanatics that make holy warriors and photographers look like sissies, I'm kidding.)
    :hide

I donno..I've seen quite few title for title races in my day, that be pretty darn serious.
    edited February 13, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    I donno..I've seen quite few title for title races in my day, that be pretty darn serious.
    I've seen quite a few races end with fistfights. For all the time I've spent hanging out at my local camera store (and all the debates of A vs. B) I've never seen two photographers do that. Something in favor of photography I'd say.:):