Options

The Great Nikon vs. Canon Debate

Comments

• Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I haven’t seen so much self satisfaction being passed around since my son’s boy scout troop got caught in a circle jerk.

Geebees Harry I just spit coffee all over my monitor:lol4
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Dr It, you have access to a machne shop? Sweeeeeet. Have you ever considered building your own LF camera?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    TWEET!

Unsportsmanlike seriousness.

Loss of taunt and 1 mandatory Whipping Post submission.

Wasn't intended as serious. I thought it was funny, actually. Wrong smiley, I guess? headscratch.gif No one ever used that one, I felt it was lonely.

Friggin' refs, always calling for the other side.:cry In seriousness, apologies to Rutt, if he thought that was a stab instead of a nudge.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I knew I had the right guy. Think of the Make Magazine article we could write! I'm serious about contributing the point & shoot to this project. And, Harry, just think of it! It'll make your 500mm lens effectively 2,000mm. Just think of the wildlife shots you'll be alble to snag! Hummingbirds at 1 mile! You'll be famous.

errr Rutt, I hate to break the news to you but you're a tad behind the curve on this one.

http://www.shortcourses.com/how/digiscoping/digiscoping.htm
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    Wasn't intended as serious. I thought it was funny, actually. Wrong smiley, I guess? headscratch.gif No one ever used that one, I felt it was lonely.

Friggin' refs, always calling for the other side.:cry In seriousness, apologies to Rutt, if he thought that was a stab instead of a nudge.

If something like that was going to wound me, I'd be dead by now. I took it in the proper spirit. And what a setup for Sid!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    errr Rutt, I hate to break the news to you but you're a tad behind the curve on this one.

http://www.shortcourses.com/how/digiscoping/digiscoping.htm

Wow! Too bad, though about Dr. It and his machine shop. He was just dying to do this.

Harry, why aren't you all over this?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Wow! Too bad, though about Dr. It and his machine shop. He was just dying to do this.

Harry, why aren't you all over this?

I was at a presentation Nikon gave on digiscoping at our local wildlife festival. It was interesting but not for me. You are shooting at such a distance that any movement by the camera or the subject gives you a very soft picture. It gets good results for subjects standing still but I like to capture my subjects doing something.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I was at a presentation Nikon gave on digiscoping at our local wildlife festival. It was interesting but not for me. You are shooting at such a distance that any movement by the camera or the subject gives you a very soft picture. It gets good results for subjects standing still but I like to capture my subjects doing something.

I understand only 1/2 of that. Obviously, with a 2000mm FOV you need to keep the camera very still. But why is subject movement bad? Do you have to use slow shutter speeds?

Sorry, we're right at the edge of a seriousness timeout here. Let's get back to the subject of Dr It modding your big tele.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 2, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I understand only 1/2 of that. Obviously, with a 2000mm FOV you need to keep the camera very still. But why is subject movement bad? Do you have to use slow shutter speeds?

Sorry, we're right at the edge of a seriousness timeout here. Let's get back to the subject of Dr It modding your big tele.
    I'm not kidding, this would be easy to do. I don't even need the big lens, I already know the f-mount adapter I have will fit it. All I need is the thread size on the end of the P&S camera (assuming its a higher end PS and accepts filters/etc) and I'll essentially combine a stepup ring and the f-mount adapter. Easy as cake.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm not kidding, this would be easy to do. I don't even need the big lens, I already know the f-mount adapter I have will fit it. All I need is the thread size on the end of the P&S camera (assuming its a higher end PS and accepts filters/etc) and I'll essentially combine a stepup ring and the f-mount adapter. Easy as cake.

Oh, oh.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    zigzag wrote:

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Does Nikon offer any tilt and/or shift lenses like these? I hear they are the bee's knees for landscape shots..
  • Options
    David StevensDavid Stevens Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Nikon
    NHBubba wrote:
    Does Nikon offer any tilt and/or shift lenses like these? I hear hey are the bee's knees for landscape shots..

Personally I love my Nikon D200 and shot a Nikon D100 for the 3 yeas prior to buying my D200.
    David L. Stevens
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    Personally I love my Nikon D200 and shot a Nikon D100 for the 3 yeas prior to buying my D200.

Yeah, but, does Nikon offer any tilt and/or shift lenses like these?
    No fair changing the subject like that.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Yeah, but, does Nikon offer any tilt and/or shift lenses like these?
    No fair changing the subject like that.

No fair changing the topic????? When did this rule come in?

and

http://www.europe-nikon.com/details.aspx?countryid=20&languageid=22&prodId=290&catId=127
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    No fair changing the topic????? When did this rule come in?

You're exactly right, Harry. But he needs to learn to choose better which quotes he includes in his replies so he can sleeze the subject changing in a little better.

Oh, and weren't you jealous of the Avedon character in Capote with his old Haselblad with the waist level finder? And talk about a one in a lifetime subject! Of course Avedon got all the dream subjects.

[See how it's done?]
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    And I see they've got a 28mm version as well. Eeexcelent Smithers!
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Only thing nikon has going for them is micro-photography and extremely loyal clients.

but really, how many canons can attach to a microscope to take photos like thishttp://www.microscopyu.com/smallworld/gallery/contests/2005/14thlarge2005.html deal.gif

could be a curse too, people who spend times scraping cells of frogs and photographing them most likely are failures, live life with their mothers, won't come out of the closet, and have a non-existant social life.

so in reality, i would say canon beats nikon blbl.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    ...live life with their mothers, won't come out of the closet, and have a non-existant social life.
    this differs from you how?

The Nikon Small World compeition winners are currently being featured at the Herter Gallery on our campus (they're on two tours across the country at the moment). There is some absolutely stunning work there! Think Lord Vet's stuff times ten.
    :jawdrop
    Erik

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited February 4, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    could be a curse too, people who spend times scraping cells of frogs and photographing them most likely are failures, live life with their mothers, won't come out of the closet, and have a non-existant social life.

Why do you characterize cell biologists as "failures"?

I think you need to get out of the house more.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Why do you characterize cell biologists as "failures"?

I think you need to get out of the house more.

15524779-Ti.gif I'm sure he's joking- I worked in a research lab for many years studying different types of lung cancer... and no, the people I worked with at UAB and Johns Hopkins did not live with their mothers and were very far removed from being classified as failures.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Jnichols wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif I'm sure he's joking- I worked in a research lab for many years studying different types of lung cancer... and no, the people I worked with at UAB and Johns Hopkins did not live with their mothers and were very far removed from being classified as failures.
    Sure, sure sure, great humanitarians all.

But did they shower?

naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    How have we missed the giant elephant in the middle of the living room?

Sure, Nikon may have street cred for wide angle, and a 28mm tilt/shift lens.

But where is the full frame sensor?

It makes no sense.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

I would imagine that that your so-called failures contribute to the betterment of society via medical research.

I understand this is meant as a joke but it seems a little too demeaning when directed to a general group. These type comments need to be directed toward an individual, such as Dr. It (sorry but you seem to know allot about this type photography), to be taken more in the line of tongue-in-cheek.

Every party needs a Pooper so I guess I'm playing party pooper.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I understand this is meant as a joke but it seems a little too demeaning when directed to a general group. These type comments need to be directed toward an individual, such as Dr. It (sorry but you seem to know allot about this type photography), to be taken more in the line of tongue-in-cheek.

Every party needs a Pooper so I guess I'm playing party pooper.
    You're not a pooper Bodley, Daniel's the poop. :blbl.gif

(remember, he's the one taking photos with a zippo in the closet)

thanks for noticing, I'm no expert, but I work closely with some excellent microphotographers. My own stuff doesn't really qualify as micro - on the order of microns, so cells. Most of my work is on the millimeter scale looking at fluid flows.
    Erik

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You're not a pooper Bodley, Daniel's the poop. :blbl.gif

(remember, he's the one taking photos with a zippo in the closet)

i was bored okay?!

lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    'm no expert, but I work closely with some excellent microphotographers.
    Listen man, let's have some decorum around here. The correct term is "differently verticalled photographers." not microphotographers.

Seriously though, as a company that kind of puts itself forward as the king of wide angle, why does nikon not have a full frame sensor?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    Further statistically significant scientific evidence about Nikon's QA:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=242959#post242959
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Further statistically significant scientific evidence about Nikon's QA:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=242959#post242959

Its nice having fans watching your every post. If you has been paying attention back in October you might had noticed that Nikon acknowledged that some D2h's and D70's had metering problems and that they would fix them for no charge.

A much better response than the non-response from Canon during the 10D focusing fiasco.
    Harry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited February 6, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Its nice having fans watching your every post. If you has been paying attention back in October you might had noticed that Nikon acknowledged that some D2h's and D70's had metering problems and that they would fix them for no charge.

A much better response than the non-response from Canon during the 10D focusing fiasco.

Yes indeed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?