Options

The Great Nikon vs. Canon Debate

Comments

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Under no circumstances should I be taken seriously.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    I think this speaks volumes about Nikkonian shooters.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif:D

_DSC8511-01copy.jpg
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Ya'll can gang up on Harry now, it's after midnight, he's an ooooold man... and we ALL know he needs his beauty sleep lol3.gif
    3349214-L.jpg
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Ya'll can gang up on Harry now, it's after midnight, he's an ooooold man... and we ALL know he needs his beauty sleep lol3.gif

Bring it on!!! :rambo

I can go all night. I may be getting on a bit but at least I still have some money left.

27199243.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Bring it on!!! :rambo

I can go all night. I may be getting on a bit but at least I still have some money left.

You keep buying over priced and over rated Nikon stuff.....and that won't last long. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Can I interject one word into your discussion:

"FUJI!"

47905465-L.jpg

Let me know when Canon or Nikon can make some real skin tones. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    52876492-L.jpg

CANON GLORYVIC!
    Last MiniPax bulletin states Andy and DanielB had Nikon sector doubleplusgood breakthrough. Harry and Dr. It annihilated! MiniPlenty personnel will requirework plustime to adjust CMOS prod stats. Inparty Lglass ration will probawise be increased. Gloryvic! Gloryvic! Gloryvic!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    OK, as we're all posting signs and billboards now...
    pope_canon.jpg
    canon_rulz.jpg
    hell_awaits.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    52879496-M.jpgNice!
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    You keep buying over priced and over rated Nikon stuff.....and that won't last long. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Not to worry. I have a long shopping list and deep pockets. Quality costs. I can understand not being able to afford the best and having to go with the cheaper brand. You head on over to the Golden Arches of photography and order off of their dollar menu. Myself, I'm grabbing a steak at the Nikon Cafe. biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    pope_canon.jpg

bowdown.gif

rolleyes1.gif

I'm a Canon user...I'm saved!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    I just hope freetranslations.com did their job correctly. Wouldn't want to offend the 99% of the world that shoots with Canon.

outtahere.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    On a serious note...

I was probably kidding on the square when I said that Nikon is playing catch up.

Not having had an attachment to either brand when I got my dSLR, I chose cannon because my price point was $1000-1500, and at the time the 20d was the best camera in that class. Nikon just didn't have anything to compete, and the gap between the D7- and the D2x is pretty huge.

Now Nikon has announced the D200, which may or may not inch out the 20d, despite the fact that it is $400 more expensive. I don't think at this level of the game 2 Megapixels makes as much difference as glass. And canon's 30d will likely beat the pants off of the d200. So Nikon has a dubious lead for about 15 minutes.

Nikon is in trouble, marketingwise. they are already in a hole with the general public because the canon brand is much better recieved by the general public. And I have a strong suspicion that the digicams are the bread and butter of these companies and give them the financial base to do the R&D that allows them to duke it out at the semi-pro and pro level. So Nikon needs to come up with something really innovative. I haven't seen them do that.

Given that Canon always seems to be out front, and that there seems to be more used canon glas floating on the market, I think for a new photographer Canon is clearly the way to go.

Also, the differences between the absolute top level of Canon and Nikon are so small as to be irrelevant. Take a look at harry and andy's photos. Did they get to that quality because of the different sensors? I don't think so.

If we are going to get snippy about lens quality, then what are you all doing not shooting film?eek7.gif

BTW, no one has addressed the Leica envy issue.

Or the sheep.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    Another old dewd chimes in rolleyes1.gif

There's blue skies and then there's Nikon skies naughty.gif that's all I have to say about that lol3.gif

Geeze Harry, you used to be so much more agreeable when you shot a Sony. I still can't figure out how and why, a smart fella like you, made that wrong turn? blbl.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    A camera is a camera, be happy that you have one .
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    A camera is a camera, be happy that you have one .

Lucky for Fuji, Sony, HP, and Kodak some folks actually believe that. rolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Can I interject one word into your discussion:
    "FUJI!"rolleyes1.gif

Now there's a man to my heart! Although you obviously need to learn how to spell Olympus. :D
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    On a serious note...
    I was probably kidding on the square when I said that Nikon is playing catch up.

Nah. At this point Canon is playing catch-up. You're hoping that the 30D will close the gap between the D200 and the 20D.

Now Nikon has announced the D200, which may or may not inch out the 20d, despite the fact that it is $400 more expensive.

It does more than inch out the 20D
    And canon's 30d will likely beat the pants off of the d200. So Nikon has a dubious lead for about 15 minutes.

A few paragraphs ago you said Nikon was playing catch-up and now they have the lead? The 30D will be an incremental improvement over the 20D. Its been on the drawing board too long to be responsive to the D200.
    Nikon is in trouble, marketingwise.

Don't really care. I don't give a hoot about their respective sales or profit margins. I care about the cameras, the glass and the pictures.

Given that Canon always seems to be out front, and that there seems to be more used canon glas floating on the market, I think for a new photographer Canon is clearly the way to go.

Nah again. Don't equate popularity with quality. The latest editions of "Survivor" and "Miami Ink" would beat out a showing of "Hamlet". Just because McDonalds has great sales doesn't mean they have good food. There's more Canon glass for sale because there are more Canon users. There's a lot more competition for that used Canon glass. If I was in he market for used Nikon glass I would not have a problem in finding it.

Also, the differences between the absolute top level of Canon and Nikon are so small as to be irrelevant. Take a look at harry and andy's photos. Did they get to that quality because of the different sensors? I don't think so.

Finally something I can agree with. You're Ok after all. biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    Another old dewd chimes in rolleyes1.gif

There's blue skies and then there's Nikon skies naughty.gif that's all I have to say about that lol3.gif

Geeze Harry, you used to be so much more agreeable when you shot a Sony. I still can't figure out how and why, a smart fella like you, made that wrong turn? blbl.gif

Steve

Err Steve, your avatar still has its holiday garb. Time to get that avatar current.

Heck when we both shot Sony we were constantly beating up on Canon users preaching the Canon liturgy to us on STF. What ever happened to that good old Steve? Another one who fell victim to the Dark Side. :lol
    Harry
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    I'll definitely have to interject here and speak out in defense of my beloved Nikon system!

Hahah okay I kid. But the point I want to make is that Nikon went down a different path with the D200. They put a fork in the $1,000-$2,000 DSLR road that wasn't there before, and then went down the one that leads to the places Galen Rowell used to haunt. The D200 is a burly, 100% "pro" level camera that is basically a D2X with the bottom chopped off, and a few hairs of AF performance fell out while in surgery. The 5D, 20D and 30D however are full-fleged "prosumer" cameras that are significantly spaced apart from the 1-series Canons, not only in build quality but in features.

The 30D will most likely continue down the "prosumer" path to the masses that await it, and will fly off the shelves as did the D70 in 2004. But that does not make it better than the D200! (and I shall shout this until everyone agrees with me! ;-) ) The D200 is simply a different beast, meant for a different task. In my case, praise be to Nikon, but in many, many cases, "you" the potential buyer should pass it up for the less expensive Canon 30D. It will beat the D200 for the specs that matter to YOU.

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    Harry, you perfidious nikonophile!:moon

I have to disagree with your disagreements of my.... never mind.

I think the popularity of the digicams is important. Not because the popularity or the digicams per se are important, but because the margins on those products provide the cashflow that supports R&D on the cameras that I care about. You can make quality goodz, but if you don't have a healthy balance sheet it doesn't matter; and neither Canon nor Nikon can live off of what thir top lines bring in. Not without becoming a much different company. And a specialty producer really can't last that long without a mass base for the tech- look at Leica's financial problems. How long before hasselblad and mamiya go that route- particularly when a 30mp or so digital medium format back is available for $500. Farfetched? I don't think so- look at where the CMOS sensor was as recently as 2000. When that happens, Nikon and Canon will have the sensor tech to go after that market, if they want it.

Is the Nikon 200d that much better a camera than the 20d? Not really. It is a slight bit ahead. It beats the 20d in terms of megapixels and buffer for continuous drive. IIRC, Canon noise is still better.. Not that I like 3200, and I hardly ever shoot it. If I was going to buy an SLR today, I might go for the 200d. But I would probably buy a 20d and a $400 USM prime instead. I was expecting the 200d to be a big right fist to Canon's face. Instead, it sort of gives them the finger. But not when they are looking, so its not even that bold.

But Nikon's problem is that the 200d wasn't available when I bought my dSLR. So now I am committed to Canon, as I have made a serious investment in lenses. Nikon needs to capture and hold the lead at the semi-pro price point in order to get "transitioners." Once you transit from P&S to SLR, you are partisanized, usually for life. The general trends matter, because everybody's camera system evolves. One evolutionary path precludes another.

If the 30d has a full frame sensor... Well, it probably won't. But Nikon had better hope it doesn't.

Also, Nikon doesn't have those red rings.

Buyakasha!
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    for someone in my situation, however, this is all rather pointless. Unless you are shooting with L glass, or the Nikon equivalent- you are limited more by your lens than your camera, I think. A convoy moves at the speed of its slowest ship.

As I am shooting with the kit lens:uhoh and an old 35-135 USM, and I have never really used a nikon, all of this is just conjecture. But I make it a policy never to allow ignorance to stand in the way of my opinions.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I was expecting the 200d to be a big right fist to Canon's face. Instead, it sort of gives them the finger. But not when they are looking, so its not even that bold.

Also, Nikon doesn't have those red rings.

Buyakasha!

Gold is better than red! Heheheh...

I think you put it well concerning what Nikon did to Canon with the D200. The D200 was a curveball that Canon didn't expect, but Canon isn't exactly thinking "oooh, that hurt bad" because the 20D and the 30D are what the masses want. The D200 is a grand slam amongst those who need what it offers, but no more than a base hit with the masses. The 30D will also be a base hit though, there will be no "grand slam" audience for it. It's just a scheduled "update" to it's prosumer lineup.

That is, unless they turn it into a fast ball with something like a FF sensor or more likely eyepoint control. If this is the case, Nikon is going to be the one going "Ow, that hurt" ...And if they don't have a D80 or D90 on the drawing table, they will lose major bucks in this area of $1,000-$1,500 DSLR bodies, where a LOT of cash is going to be flowing in 2006.

-Matt-
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    for someone in my situation, however, this is all rather pointless. Unless you are shooting with L glass, or the Nikon equivalent- you are limited more by your lens than your camera, I think. A convoy moves at the speed of its slowest ship.

As I am shooting with the kit lens:uhoh and an old 35-135 USM, and I have never really used a nikon, all of this is just conjecture. But I make it a policy never to allow ingorance to stand in the way of my opinions.
    Wait a minute, which is it? Have you "made a serious investment in lenses" or have you only got the kit lens and the 35-135 USM? I'd consider $1,500 a considerable investment in lenses, and $3,000+ a "serious investment"...

-Matt-
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Harry, you perfidious nikonophile!:moon

Guilty as charged rolleyes1.gif
    think the popularity of the digicams is important. Not because the popularity or the digicams per se are important, but because the margins on those products provide the cashflow that supports R&D on the cameras that I care about. You can make quality goodz, but if you don't have a healthy balance sheet it doesn't matter;

Last time I looked Nikon had a healthy profit for last year. Nikon does not appear to be sinking at all. You had better hope Nikon stays around if Canon has no competition there would be no need for them to come up with their camera of the month.

Nikon has redone their DSLR product line and the current line-up of the D50, D70, D200, D2Hs and D2X is an extremely strong line up. DSLR sales are booming now that the price of entry level DSLRs are dropped below $1000. Nikon has wisely choosen not to chase after Canon but has developed their line-up with an eye towards quality. They seem pretty well set for awhile. The only new camera that I see in the next year should be an improved D2H model (10MP version forecast, that will be a killer camera).
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    I hesitate to classify the d200 as a grand slam. 12mp is defintely better than 8mp, but 10 isn't that much better than 8, then again it isn't that much worse than 12. The gaps here are getting smaller.

If I wanted a Nikon, I would likely go for the d200 rather than the d2x, because I like the lower weight, and I don't shoot sports. If I was a sport shooter, however, that 8 fps would really, really matter.

The 20d definitely isn't for the masses. The 350d and d70 are the only SLRs in this dogfight that approach that level.

I would be very suprised if the 30d had a full frame sensor. That would undercut the 5d. If you get FF for $1500 less, then why buy the 5d? Which, by the way, is a hell of a camera, and the only recent innovation which really surprised me.

Eye control focus freaks me out. No lasers in my eyeball please. I also sense a microsoft complex. Making a machine for dumb users that frustrates the smart ones.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    Wait a minute, which is it? Have you "made a serious investment in lenses" or have you only got the kit lens and the 35-135 USM? I'd consider $1,500 a considerable investment in lenses, and $3,000+ a "serious investment"...

-Matt-
    Dude, I have a portuguese wife and a mortgage. $400 for 3 lenses is a serious investment for me.

Like I said, most people acquire a system through an evolutionary process. Buy a body, add a few lenses, hopefully sell some prints, add more lenses. Once you have gone down a road, most folks won't chuck it all and start over.

Except for Dr. It, that is.
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Yell at me later, but reading all this Nikon/Canon stuff brings back the old days of the Chevy/Ford muscle car wars. Aha the passion!!! The hours worked to have the MONEY to buy the stuff (cams, carbs, paint jobs). Awesome cars both sides, but different, and both had strengths and weaknesses. Oh the grudge matches that would pop up. Guess I'm really dating myself here huh.

There was one guy, had a raggie Camaro, didn't have much money, and we use to say he kept the carb on the car with rubberbands.. But oh man could he drive. In his hands that car was sweat.

Same with cameras me thinks. I have a Canon and will probably stay there, but Nikon blue is pretty coolthumb.gif