Options

The Great Nikon vs. Canon Debate

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You workin on a ponytail too? How bout the "shapely" posterior?

:D not quite. i try to avoid that.... as for the ponytail....

to hell with them.lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    53340222-S.jpg

:hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    53340222-S.jpg

:hide

That's some fugly PS work there, Doc...

but funny!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's some fugly PS work there, Doc...

but funny!
    hey, thanks for noticing! thumb.gif

wanna know how long it took me?
    Erik

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    hey, thanks for noticing! thumb.gif

wanna know how long it took me?

Try the "warp" tool in PS CS 2 deal.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:

could this thread get any more warped?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    could this thread get any more warped?

Oh hush. Back Atchya, Old Man!
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    I think Andy's winning....

:lurk
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    you know, try to poke some fun at a guy and he teaches you a cool PS trick. What a jerk!

lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    you know, try to poke some fun at a guy and he teaches you a cool PS trick. What a jerk!

lol3.gif

I'm glad SOME of you enjoy what I try and do around here, Doc thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    .... as for the ponytail.... to hell with them.
    Don't knock it. Chance is a wonderful thing. Nobody stays 14 for ever.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    Don't knock it...
    A ha! Another Canon shooter with a ponytail. I rest my case.
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 22, 2006
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I will agree that Nikon excells at birds!! Especially that expensive equipment that Nikon buyers seem to have in abundance.

So, of course he got another bird in flight!

And yours was very good, too, Andy!

However, I am waiting to see versatility, lots of it, from Nikon shooters.

ginger

(I have birds in flight, too, and some are even close enough for really good stuff!)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Truthfully, when I was ONLY shooting birds, I would have changed to Nikon in a heartbeat.

I do not, no matter what you all say, think that equipment does not matter.

But for all around shooting, I think that Canon probably kicks ass or equals.

Also, remember Danielle, the really good birder/photographer. She showed up here a few times, but I used to mostly see her at dpreview. Since I don't go there anymore..............

Well, she would be a good one to come in here with her birds.

And I don't think I have ever seen a better photo than her Joshua tree!

WITH CANONs. Is she still around?

g (thanks to forsaking 45.00 haircuts for over 6 months, I could put mine in a pony tail, if that would help my shooting. I don't suppose that is the point here. smile.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    But for all around shooting, I think that Canon probably kicks ass

Daniella kicks ass, too thumb.gif

Ginger - dont' think for a minute that one camera is better than the other. They're both excellent - even at BIRDS!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Go dig around around on the Nature & Wildlife forum on fredmiranda.com and you'll find lots of super great bird shots taken with Canon equipment. For example:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/342482 (You will need to register with fm in order to see this. There is no downside that I know of and it's great fun if sometimes humbling to look at the stuff that gets posted
    there.)

Not to mention Fred's own bird photography which I've always admired.

It took about 30 seconds to find this.

My point? I think the Nikon/bird thing is somewhat dgrin specific. Harry is a fine bird photographer and he has developed a following here. Some of those people are influenced by Harry's choice in equipment. But look outside dgrin and you'll find that there is nothing very special about bird photography that favors one brand over another.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    My point? I think the Nikon/bird thing is somewhat dgrin specific. Harry is a fine bird photographer and he has developed a following here. Some of those people are influenced by Harry's choice in equipment. But look outside dgrin and you'll find that there is nothing very special about bird photography that favors one brand over another.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Some of those people are influenced by Harry's choice in equipment.
    The same can be said for Andy
    But look outside dgrin and you'll find that there is nothing very special about bird photography that favors one brand over another.
    That's just not true! The last 3 birds (British slang :D) I spoke to all favored a Nikon Man!!! iloveyou.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :lol4 :lol blbl.gif :duel rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I will agree that Nikon excells at birds!! Especially that expensive equipment that Nikon buyers seem to have in abundance.

Hogwash. I totally disagree with you on this, Ginger. Heck...I know a guy that shoots birds with a Canon with a 200mm lens. blbl.gifblbl.gifblbl.giflol3.gif If you believe this....I've got a bridge for sale. I'll let you have it real cheap. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    The same can be said for Andy

Yeah, and your mother!

But no doubt you are right.

Look my only real point was that there are lots of georgous bird pictures shot with Canon equipment. I see them all the time on FM. I see lots of georgous Nikon portraits. I see event photographers with Nikon.

When I go places where the professional photojournalists are, I tend to see a lot more Canon. I don't think this has as much to do with the technical qualities of the two brands as it does with the marketing decisions they have made. Canon made a very deliberate choice to make a PJ camera and market it to the press. They price it, time its release, make special deals, all that stuff in order to appeal to that audience. I think the same is true of fashion and other commercial studio work. That's what the full frame high resolution sensor is about. Rumor has it that they will push it to 24MP sometime this year. That's a choice to challenge Hasselblad in this particular market.

I'm just not as familiar with Nikon, but I assume they must have their own marketing strategy. What is it?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    That's what the full frame high resolution sensor is about. Rumor has it that they will push it to 24MP sometime this year. That's a choice to challenge Hasselblad in this particular market.

It will be difficult to pull those kinds of resolutions in that size sensor without a lot of noise and there's no real need for it anyway. I kind of expect 35mm sensors to top out around 20mpel but, if they're smart, they'll start focusing on dynamic range rather than resolution Real Soon Now.

Anyway medium format is already over 30mpel (check out Leaf's new back) and Kodak is just about to bring a 38mpel sensor to market.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    It will be difficult to pull those kinds of resolutions in that size sensor without a lot of noise and there's no real need for it anyway. I kind of expect 35mm sensors to top out around 20mpel but, if they're smart, they'll start focusing on dynamic range rather than resolution Real Soon Now.

Anyway medium format is already over 30mpel (check out Leaf's new back) and Kodak is just about to bring a 38mpel sensor to market.

I agree about dynamic range. There are all kinds of ways to challnege. The 5D intro that Andy attended sure seemed aimed at those guys, though, didn't it?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I'm just not as familiar with Nikon, but I assume they must have their own marketing strategy. What is it?

Who gives a hoot? I don't care about their marketing strategies because I don't own stock in them. Just give me a camera that feels right in the hand and that takes good pics if I use it right.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Who gives a hoot? I don't care about their marketing strategies because I don't own stock in them. Just give me a camera that feels right in the hand and that takes good pics if I use it right.

Great answer, Harry! So you have no curiosity? Why is that interesting?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Great answer, Harry! So you have no curiosity? Why is that interesting?

I have a great deal of curiousity. I am curious about politics, religion, photography, music, art, etc. Of all the things available to ponder the marketing strategy of Nikon or Canon or Sony or ....... is very close to the bottom of the pile.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I have a great deal of curiousity. I am curious about politics, religion, photography, music, art, etc. Of all the things available to ponder the marketing strategy of Nikon or Canon or Sony or ....... is very close to the bottom of the pile.

Harry, that's certainly your prerogative. But then you have nothing to add to this particular strand of the thread. Expressing one's lack of interest isn't constructive. Don't reply. If nobody else is interested either, it will die a natural death.

My problem is a promiscuity of curiosity, I suppose.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 22, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Harry, that's certainly your prerogative. But then you have nothing to add to this particular strand of the thread. Expressing one's lack of interest isn't constructive. Don't reply. If nobody else is interested either, it will die a natural death.

My problem is a promiscuity of curiosity, I suppose.

I disagree that Harry's comment isn't constructive. Quite the opposite in
    fact.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    I think in general Canon shooters are more promiscuous that is why there are so much more of them.