Options

The Great Nikon vs. Canon Debate

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Harry, that's certainly your prerogative. But then you have nothing to add to this particular strand of the thread. Expressing one's lack of interest isn't constructive. Don't reply. If nobody else is interested either, it will die a natural death.

My problem is a promiscuity of curiosity, I suppose.

Nah, Nah, My expression of disinterest has been the only interest shown in the question on hand (that being the marketing strategy of Nikon). Just by my profession of disinterest and your responses to it we keep the topic on page 1 thereby increasing the possibility that someone will stop by with an answer to your question. Therefore my expression of disinterest is highly constructive as it keeps your question in the forefront of this rather twisted thread and increases the possibility that your question will be answered (as uninteresting , IMHO, as it is). thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    I think in general Canon shooters are more promiscuous that is why there are so much more of them.

Yeah, Canon shooters have more fun, friends, and (err) offspring. Jeez, why did I waste my time teasing Harry when I could have been being (err) promiscuous.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Nah, Nah, My expression of disinterest has been the only interest shown in the question on hand (that being the marketing strategy of Nikon).

In case you missed it, Jimf and I were on the brink of a major nerd out.
    Well, maybe that's overstating it. But it doesn't really matter. If you think this is so uninteresting, just move it into it's own thread and then it will live or die on its merits. The last thing I want to do is bore anyone (well...)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    In case you missed it, Jimf and I were on the brink of a major nerd out.
    Well, maybe that's overstating it. But it doesn't really matter. If you think this is so uninteresting, just move it into it's own thread and then it will live or die on its merits. The last thing I want to do is bore anyone (well...)

Go ahead bore me!!!! I dare you!!! :rambo

I worked for the government for 27 years. I sat through a two day government training session on why AIDS is bad. I've been bored by experts. Bring it on.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Go ahead bore me!!!! I dare you!!! :rambo

I worked for the government for 27 years. I sat through a two day government training session on why AIDS is bad. I've been bored by experts. Bring it on.

OK, I have to admit, you made me laugh. I'm can be pretty boring, but that's world class!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I disagree that Harry's comment isn't constructive. Quite the opposite in
    fact.

I understand what Harry is saying. But I think his absolute rejection of its importance is, well, too absolute.

I am not interested in canon or nikon's marketing strategy per se. I want the camera that I can pay for, that fills the widest possible range of uses to which I might put it, and feels the best in my hands. However, as a photographer with (hopefully) a few decades of shooting ahead of me, I am concerned with how the supplier of my raw materials will evolve with me. The supplier must remain healthy, responsive to my needs, and hopefully innovative and solution oriented. So that the supplier and I can grow together.

I don't have any brand loyalty, per se. I value the brands insofar as they can support me. I just think that Canon's support is a bit better. Particularly for photographers not buying top tier equipment.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I have a great deal of curiousity. I am curious about politics, religion, photography, music, art, etc. Of all the things available to ponder the marketing strategy of Nikon or Canon or Sony or ....... is very close to the bottom of the pile.

Im with you here harry...i couldnt give a brown rats arse either. I get up at 4am & if i can see stars outside then i know there is a chance of a great sunrise. That interests me.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 23, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Im with you here harry...i couldnt give a brown rats arse either. I get up at 4am & if i can see stars outside then i know there is a chance of a great sunrise. That interests me.

Exactly.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Ironic. I hope I CAN'T see the stars, that's what makes a good sunrise! Nice layer of clouds, up at high altitude, with a crack at the horizon for the sun to peep through for a couple minutes. I couldn't ask for more!

And I sort of scratch my head at Ginger's saying she waits to see "versatility" from Nikon shoters. I thought my post of images was about as versatile as one can get, maybe there's some aspect of photography I'm missing?

Landscape, anyone?
    51346338-L.jpg

36617078-L-1.jpg

Architectural night photography?
    22638090-L.jpg

Bokeh, anyone?
    41143005-L-2.jpg

ISO 1600 portrait?
    48932192-L.jpg

ISO 1600 fast action?
    15952811-L.jpg

I don't want to try and convince anyone that Nikon, or my D70, is "better," neither do I mean to impress anyone with "what I accomplished using a lesser camera," I only want to make the point that cameras are just cameras. Buy what works for you! The noise in my high-ISO shots is acceptable for me because I don't print larger than 5x7"; if you shoot constantly at high ISO and print big enlargements, I wouldn't reccomend a different camera.

If I could afford them all, I would own multiple systems without a doubt. I think that's the best kind of camera fanatic to be. Not the guy who buys $30,000 of one system, but the guy who owns cameras in every system, and can therefore give honest advice twixt them all... It's just not as effective to argue which is better when most of everybody's shooting is with their respective particular system, no?

At any rate, I WOULD try to play it cool and nonchalantly say "Im going out to take pictures, have fun arguing" ...but I've got calculus, physics, and vector statics all requiring my attention at the moment so I'm going to go take care of that. Bleah. The things I do to AVOID making photography my career. How ironic!

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    matt...please dont take it all that seriously, loosen up a bit for gods sake.

I was talking about full overcast.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006

Take care,
    -Matt-

Nice examples, Matt - you're stuff is really good.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    Yeah, I gotta agree with Andy. I was going to single out one or two as being extra specially good, but they all are. When was that last one shot? If eligible, it would be a killer entry for the current challenge, "Air".
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I am not interested in canon or nikon's marketing strategy per se. I want the camera that I can pay for, that fills the widest possible range of uses to which I might put it, and feels the best in my hands. However, as a photographer with (hopefully) a few decades of shooting ahead of me, I am concerned with how the supplier of my raw materials will evolve with me. The supplier must remain healthy, responsive to my needs, and hopefully innovative and solution oriented. So that the supplier and I can grow together.
    I think there's a point there. I'm no expert, but I just gotta believe that photo-journalists generate some very serious income for camera companies. Therefore I would suggest that if you see a given brand used by lots of pros, that that company is probably doing well.. and therefore not going anywhere for a while. This is important because as we all know, these systems are investments that grow and change over time. Knowing that the maker will still be in business when/if you want an upgrade is certianly important. Therefore I can understand the connection between how a company markets to pros and how long it will be around.

But then I don't think this issue goes for or against either Canon or Nikon. I think both have the pro user-base to keep them around for quite some time. Nikon has the legacy, the history. Meanwhile you don't have to go much further than the sidelines of a major sporting event to be able to tell that Canon is selling more than a few bux worth of equipment these days. I think both brands are here to stay. So I think it's a draw in that respect.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    Just to bore Harry, I dug around a little for Annual Reports, analyst conference calls, industry news letters, that sort of thing. It's a little hard to sort out, but it seems that Nikon does have more camera revenues than Canon, maybe as much as 2x more. But Canon has a bigger dSLR market share, again maybe as much as 2x. In 2005, Nikon had only 14% of it's camera sales in dSLRs as opposed to "compact digital cameras", in Canon's case it seems the number was more like 35%.

I could easily be wrong abou this. I'm not good at reading these kind of reports from Japanese companies. I think someone with a Bloomberg machine could get much better info a lot easier.

But the greater goal, boring Harry, is advanced.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Yeah, and your mother!

Oh I didn't know you knew my Mom, she never mentioned it to me, but yes a Nikon Lady (and a damm fine one) to the end.

I'm just not as familiar with Nikon, but I assume they must have their own marketing strategy. What is it?

Well I called them on your behalf to ask and they said they get back to me on that :lol
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 23, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Just to bore Harry, I dug around a little for Annual Reports, analyst conference calls, industry news letters, that sort of thing. It's a little hard to sort out, but it seems that Nikon does have more camera revenues than Canon, maybe as much as 2x more. But Canon has a bigger dSLR market share, again maybe as much as 2x. In 2005, Nikon had only 14% of it's camera sales in dSLRs as opposed to "compact digital cameras", in Canon's case it seems the number was more like 35%.

I could easily be wrong abou this. I'm not good at reading these kind of reports from Japanese companies. I think someone with a Bloomberg machine could get much better info a lot easier.

But the greater goal, boring Harry, is advanced.
    Outside of our fun little game here, this is actually a really interesting question. So the numbers you found were for cameras only? As a whole company, I would be very curious which is bigger in $$$. Canon seems to have a bigger consumer lineup, but what most people don't know is the deathgrip Nikon has on intermediate to upper level microscopy equipment - only Leica (actually Leitz on the microscopes) is considered better for optical scopes. Then, there is an entire end of the business many people don't even know about - Nikon makes quite a few photolithography machines, some pretty high end big bucks equipment. What does Canon make outside of consumer products besides some copiers (I'm asking that seriously, not to poke at Canon)?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    What does Canon make outside of consumer products besides some copiers (I'm asking that seriously, not to poke at Canon)?

Not much.
    Consumer Products

Digital SLR Cameras
    Compact Digital Cameras
    Digital Video Camcorders
    Compact Photo Printers
    Film Cameras
    Lenses
    Binoculars
    Image Scanners
    Personal-use PPCs, Digital PPCs
    Inkjet Printers
    Inkjet AIO Printers
    Inkjet Chemical Products
    Facsimiles

Office Products

Office Color MFDs, Network MFDs
    Color POD Systems
    Full-color LBPs, Monochrome LBPs
    Toner, Photosensitive Drums,
    and Toner Cartridges
    Packaged Software
    Internet Services
    Large-format Inkjet Printers
    Business Inkjet Printers
    LCD Projectors
    Visual Communications Products

Industrial Products

Semiconductor Production Equipment
    Mirror Projection Aligners
    Broadcasting Equipment
    Devices, Components
    Digital Radiography Systems
    Ophthalmic Equipment

Canon Group Products

Document Scanners
    Handy Terminals
    Personal Information Products
    Color Card and Label Printers

From Canon.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    and from Nikon.
    Main products
    IC steppers
    LCD steppers

Main products
    Digital cameras
    Film cameras
    Interchangeable lenses
    Speedlights
    Film scanners
    Photographic accessories
    Software

Main products
    Biological microscopes
    Industrial microscopes
    Stereoscopic microscopes

Main products
    Measuring instruments
    Inspection equipment

Main products
    Customized optical equipment
    Space-related equipment
    Astronomy-related equipment

Main products
    CMP systems

Main products
    Total stations
    GPS products
    Construction lasers
    Theodolites
    Levels
    Surveying CAD systems

Main products
    Ophthalmic frames
    Sunglasses
    Pendant loupes
    Ophthalmic lenses
    Hearing aids*
    *Available in Japan.

Main products
    Binoculars
    Monoculars
    Fieldscopes
    Fieldmicroscopes
    Loupes
    Large-objective-diameter binoculars
    Sightseeing binoculars
    Laser rangefinders
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Ironic. I hope I CAN'T see the stars, that's what makes a good sunrise! Nice layer of clouds, up at high altitude, with a crack at the horizon for the sun to peep through for a couple minutes. I couldn't ask for more!

And I sort of scratch my head at Ginger's saying she waits to see "versatility" from Nikon shoters. I thought my post of images was about as versatile as one can get, maybe there's some aspect of photography I'm missing?

Landscape, anyone?
    51346338-L.jpg

36617078-L-1.jpg

i'm suprised many more nikon shooters DON"T to landscapes, what with the superb quality of Nikon's glass *especially wide angle*

just thought about that last night, kinda ironic you posted some landscape shots:D

-Daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    just for kicks I looked up their annual reports. I pulled data from 2004, since that is all that is I could find.

Nikon 506,378

Canon 3,467,853

Both are Millions of Yen. I think Canon has a slight edge, but who knows I could be reading the wrong numbers. ne_nau.gif perhaps there is a financial expert out there who could fill us in.

Imaging products, cameras/scanners are 55% of Nikons business.

Cameras are 22% of Canons business, scanners are included in Business Machines/Peripherals.

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2005/05annual_e.pdf I used the 2004 data off this annual report.

http://canon.com/ir/finance/index.html I used the data in the 2004 annual report.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    Thanks, Patch. These numbers make a lot more sense than anything I've been able to find. The way I read it:
    • Canon is a much bigger company, with anual revenues north of $30 billion vs about $7 for Nikon.
    • Canon's camera sales for this period are a bit higer than Nikon's entire sales.
    • So Canon's camera sales are roughly 2x Nikon's.
    • Currently you can get 115 yen for your dollar, just to get your feet on the ground.
    • I couldn't figure out the breakdown of point and shoot vs all other camers from these numbers, so I'd love to see those numbers. When I was digging this afternoon, I thought that Canon was more slanted toward dSLRs than Nikon, but the digital rebel had a big influence in this particular period.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks, Patch. These numbers make a lot more sense than anything I've been able to find. The way I read it:
    • Canon is a much bigger company, with anual revenues north of $30 billion vs about $7 for Nikon.
    • Canon's camera sales for this period are a bit higer than Nikon's entire sales.
    • So Canon's camera sales are roughly 2x Nikon's.
    • Currently you can get 115 yen for your dollar, just to get your feet on the ground.
    • I couldn't figure out the breakdown of point and shoot vs all other camers from these numbers, so I'd love to see those numbers. When I was digging this afternoon, I thought that Canon was more slanted toward dSLRs than Nikon, but the digital rebel had a big influence in this particular period.

:snore
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    :snore

It's working!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    just for kicks I looked up their annual reports.
    That's the end of that, then.

There was no way Nikon's photography-related revenue was anywhere close to Canon's. What's more, if they can't successfully convert their film-oriented resources to digital, and get a far greater leverage from this investment, their overall share of the photography market will not increase. Even if they can hold the share they have, with Sony and the Koreans coming at them, that might be doing incredibly well.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    It's working!
    Full nerd-out alert!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    prediction..suggestion
    After reading this i suggest that ,after some bloodshed ,that the shootout will be declared a draw.You heard it here first.

Another way to make it interesting is to post the shots but not indicate which lens and camera was used and let the punters out there take a stab at identifying the lens used.

My bet is that canon shooters will be claiming nikon shots as canon and vice versa and lens chauvinism will be exposed.

It would be a good way to put this good natured rivalry into perspective.

We have the same thing here between Ford and Holden car owners-at the end of the day the similiarities outweigh the differences.It all good fun.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    I am just curious if anyone out there has actually used both brands or read a comparison. I was thinking if anyone going to Bryce/Zion had more than one camera we could swap...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 24, 2006
    DocIT to the white courtesy phone...
    4labs wrote:
    I am just curious if anyone out there has actually used both brands or read a comparison. I was thinking if anyone going to Bryce/Zion had more than one camera we could swap...ne_nau.gif

I think Doc's used both brands...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I think Doc's used both brands...
    nod.gif

Owned: Rebel, Rebel XT, 10D
    shot with: 20D, 1DmkII

and this month's switch...

Own: D2H, D70 (in the mail)
    shot with: D70, D1, D1H

whaddya want to know?