Options

The Great Nikon vs. Canon Debate

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I have a portuguese wife and a mortgage.

That is a sentence that should make it into a novel. It's a classic! thumb.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Yell at me later, but reading all this Nikon/Canon stuff brings back the old days of the Chevy/Ford muscle car wars. Aha the passion!!! The hours worked to have the MONEY to buy the stuff (cams, carbs, paint jobs). Awesome cars both sides, but different, and both had strengths and weaknesses. Oh the grudge matches that would pop up. Guess I'm really dating myself here huh.

There was one guy, had a raggie Camaro, didn't have much money, and we use to say he kept the carb on the car with rubberbands.. But oh man could he drive. In his hands that car was sweat.

Same with cameras me thinks. I have a Canon and will probably stay there, but Nikon blue is pretty coolthumb.gif

Thusie, Please. Don't even get me started. I need all my rage right now for this particular debate.

Chevy? Obviously a French name. You might as well buy a Citroen.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Thusie, Please. Don't even get me started. I need all my rage right now for this particular debate.

Chevy? Obviously a French name. You might as well buy a Citroen.
    Sorry, honest. Was having one of those weird when I was young moments.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    we use to say he kept the carb on the car with rubberbands

I used to have a flash that I held on with rubberbands - but that was neither Canon nor Nilon . . . Olympus

mwink.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    BrianLowtherBrianLowther Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Elementary! My Dear Watson!
    "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Oh, he has his faults, too," said Mr. Wilson. "Never was such a fellow for photography. Snapping away with a nikon camera when he ought to be improving his mind"
    Arthur Conan Doyle - The Red-Headed League

Need I misquote anymore?

Brian

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they dislike: it was a wise man, and it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed"
    - W. Somerset Maugham
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    Mod edit: let's not do photos of Hitler and Ghandi, ok?

Godwins law example #1 for this thread.

What's wrong with Ghandi?!
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Oh gee look what I came upon ....... A Canon Nikon debate ....... oh my what a suprise ........... started by a Canon user ........... my my will wonders never cease rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :lol4 :lol

Oh please let me join in, Hmmm let's see

Canon shooters are always busy upgrading equipment every sick (yes that's what I mean) months to keep up with ....... I don't know who !!

Nikon shooters are busy perfecting their craft with equipment that has stood the test of time and every conflict you can remember. Bringing home memorable and timeless images of what the viewfinder has seen.

Canon shooters worry about megapixels, sensors and crop factor etc. etc.
    Nikon shooters worry about comp., exp., framing oh and the light !!

Canon makes faxes, printers, multifunctions machines to name a few.
    Nikon makes imaging equipment.

there really is no war/debate about Cano/Nikon, Nikon won years ago rolleyes1.gif :lol

Oh yeah Ford/Chevy wars well one line
    FORD ..... fix or repair daily blbl.gif :lol
    or
    Buy Mopar blbl.gif again :lol4
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Oh yeah Ford/Chevy wars well one line
    FORD ..... fix or repair daily blbl.gif :lol
    or
    Buy Mopar blbl.gif again :lol4[/quote]

rolleyes1.gifrofl:poke
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    Nikon shooters are busy perfecting their craft with equipment that has stood the test of time and every conflict you can remember.

I do love those pictures Robert Capa took with his D2X.

pw3ned!

HAHAHAHAH!rolleyes1.gif

I knew you nikon users were Leica wannabees!

[waiting for someone to start talking about the "Nikon Glow.]
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    Canon makes faxes, printers, multifunctions machines to name a few.
    Nikon makes imaging equipment.

And sunglasses
    totalicare_1841_4580776

I guess that's sort of imaging - optical at least.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Who still gives a film body option headscratch.gif

Whomever stopped building film bodies must not care about students and filmaphiles.....nice public message to send out :beatwax
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Poindexter wrote:
    Who still gives a film body option headscratch.gif

Whomever stopped building film bodies must not care about students and filmaphiles.....nice public message to send out :beatwax

Remember the F6 that was released by Nikon? I don't recall Canon coming out with amy major new film cameras.

Alas its a sign of the changing times. I'm sure Canon is going all out for the film shooters. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    While Canon made cameras for hapy japanese tourists, Nikon made artillary rangefinders to blow up unhappy US marines. Bad Nikon!
    Canon: The patriotic choice! .. Ha! rolleyes1.gif

..But seriously..

You guys all talking about your 1D's and D2's.. Don't forgetabout the rest of the market. Canon really has been cleaning up there!
    Justiceiro wrote:
    The vaunted 200D is just the latest example of "catch-up" Two steps behind suckah! Great time to one up the 20D (as if!) when the 5d came out like AGES ago. That's soooo 2005.
    I have to agree. It FINALLY seems like Nikon is a viable choice for high-end amatuers. Just last year your choices in the Nikon range was a $1500 D70.. or a $3500-5000 D2-whatever. That's one helluva gap. Personally were I parting w/ $1500 for a camera, I'd rather have had the 20D. And then there was the bottom end of the market. The Rebel cleaned house. I think users like myself demonstrate that.

Now things have changed. The D200 looks nice.. and is almost afordable.. almost. The D50 gives a nice entry level option.. especially if you catch a rebate dealio. Although it all feels like a day late.
    Justiceiro wrote:
    But Nikon's problem is that the 200d wasn't available when I bought my dSLR. So now I am committed to Canon, as I have made a serious investment in lenses. Nikon needs to capture and hold the lead at the semi-pro price point in order to get "transitioners." Once you transit from P&S to SLR, you are partisanized, usually for life.
    Exactly!

Another concern is upgrade path. Almost every Canon user I know 'dreams' of upgrading one day to a FF sensor'ed 1-series camera.. and they make their lens investments w/ that vaguely in the backs of their minds. I bought my DRebel w/ every intention of selling it off and upgrading to a x0D series in a few years.. then maybe one day to an xD series and full frame. Canon smartly offers this upgrade path. And I know that each stage of the path will be refreshed on a regular basis. Meanwhile Nikon does not offer FF whatsoever! And some stages of the upgrade path have historically been left out in the cold for some time. The D100 announced Feb 21, 2002.. the D200 was announced Nov 1, 2005.. nearly THREE YEARS LATER! That's a long time to wait if you've outgrown your D70 but can't afford a D2-whatever..
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Err Steve, your avatar still has its holiday garb. Time to get that avatar current.

Heck when we both shot Sony we were constantly beating up on Canon users preaching the Canon liturgy to us on STF. What ever happened to that good old Steve? Another one who fell victim to the Dark Side. :lol

Yeah I like da hat. It makes me look Jolly, doncha think? rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, I remember those Canonbals Harry eek7.gif I think I fell under the same spell as Andy rolleyes1.gif You know, clean high ISOs and spending thousands on lenses......Laughing.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    I
    have to agree. It FINALLY seems like Nikon is a viable choice for high-end amatuers. Just last year your choices in the Nikon range was a $1500 D70.. or a $3500-5000 D2-whatever. /QUOTE]

The pirce of the D70 on release was $999 (body only) and $1299 with the 18-70 kit lens.

Another concern is upgrade path. Almost every Canon user I know 'dreams' of upgrading one day to a FF sensor'ed 1-series camera.. and they make their lens investments w/ that vaguely in the backs of their minds. I bought my DRebel w/ every intention of selling it off and upgrading to a x0D series in a few years.. then maybe one day to an xD series and full frame. Canon smartly offers this upgrade path. And I know that each stage of the path will be refreshed on a regular basis. Meanwhile Nikon does not offer FF whatsoever! And some stages of the upgrade path have historically been left out in the cold for some time. The D100 announced Feb 21, 2002.. the D200 was announced Nov 1, 2005.. nearly THREE YEARS LATER! That's a long time to wait if you've outgrown your D70 but can't afford a D2-whatever..

I have been using the D100 for awhile now and it still gets me fantastic captures. I don't see the advantage in incremental upgrades every 6 months. Its good for Canon as their users are constantly "upgrading" but I have yet to see these "upgrades" demonstrated in their pictures.

I would rather wait 3 years for a D200 and spend my $ on glass than be spending it on the latest upgraded body every 6 months. I'll wait one to three years for a major improvement but spare me these "camera of the month" releases with their incremental increases that could have been included with the original release but were withheld for future sales. FF is nice for some shots but has little appeal for me when I'm shooting wildlife and surfing shots.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I do love those pictures Robert Capa took with his D2X.

pw3ned!

HAHAHAHAH!rolleyes1.gif

I knew you nikon users were Leica wannabees!

[waiting for someone to start talking about the "Nikon Glow.]

Well if Mr. Capa would of had access to one ....... he would of used one mwink.gif

Your right about the nikon/leica connection! I have a few "M's" tucked away and some real "L" glass to go with em. I came back to photography with an FZ20, which uses Leica glass and finally they both strive for the best damum optics you can look thru!! thumb.gif

Oh did I mention Canon makes, Calculators rolleyes1.gif :lol
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    nhbubba wrote:
    I have to agree. It FINALLY seems like Nikon is a viable choice for high-end amatuers. Just last year your choices in the Nikon range was a $1500 D70.. or a $3500-5000 D2-whatever.

The pirce of the D70 on release was $999 (body only) and $1299 with the 18-70 kit lens.
    I stand corrected. But still.. that's $1000 -> $3500-5000! Quite a step.

My point is that 12 months ago Nikon didn't have as much of an impressive lineup as Canon did. And Canon definitely seemed to have better value. Now Nikon has made fantastic progress in the last 12 months. But again.. is it too late? .. Hopefully not.
    Harryb wrote:
    I don't see the advantage in incremental upgrades every 6 months. Its good for Canon as their users are constantly "upgrading" but I have yet to see these "upgrades" demonstrated in their pictures.
    I don't understand your point of view here at all! How on earth is having more options ever a bad thing for us consumers? Just because they revise and replace a model doesn't mean you have to buy it! There have been plenty of very happy (and very smart in my eyes) users who have skipped one or more of the more incremental refreshes.

Still, it's nice to have the options available. When you're ready for an upgrade it's nice to know that they'll be a body available w/ all the latest bells and whistles. Little things like large, high-res LCD displays, support for large (FAT32) memory, or USB2.0 connectivity. Nevermind pixel counts or burst frame-rates. The technology involved in digital cameras evolves quickly, I think it speaks favorably that Canon has this ~12-18 month revision pace going. It certianly doesn't HURT us consumers!

Now Nikon is showing signs of serious life.. at least in the lesser markets. (Meaning their higher-tier lineup has always been very respectable.) Let's hope they can keep it going.
    Harryb wrote:
    FF is nice for some shots but has little appeal for me when I'm shooting wildlife and surfing shots.
    Yes, but then the crop simply sucks for other uses like landscapes. And for some, it's nice to have the option.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    this may just be my personal opinion, but heres what i'm gonna do. wait for the D200's price to drop some, wait for the Canon 30D to come out, if i'm content with it, i'll invest and get it, if not... i'll abandon my canon gear and sell it to all the junkies who want the next best thing that are switching to Canon. buy a D200, some nice lenses. and that'll be that.thumb.gif

sorry to any loyal canon users of which i am, but honestly, i don't shoot high ISO, so the noise isn't a problem. really, its whoever has a better consumer camera for a teenage photojournalistmwink.gif

Daniel
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    What is Nikon again?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    sorry to any loyal canon users of which i am, but honestly, i don't shoot high ISO, so the noise isn't a problem. really, its whoever has a better consumer camera for a teenage photojournalistmwink.gif
    Daniel

I think photojournalism is a place that can demand shooting high ISO. You never know (and most times not can't control) the lighting you are going to be dealt.

Canon makes fantastic bodies and great lens. 80% of the pros shoot Canon. Daniel, stick with what you have. You will waste valuable shooting time buying/selling/trading.

This entire thread has been an entertaining read, but I never expected anyone to actually switch (or even entertain switching) because of it.

Both Nikon and Canon make great equipment and competition is good for the consumer. I have shot both brands, and my reason for going back to Canon is how prevalent their gear is. Every pro I know shoots Canon... that means every pro I know can let me borrow their gear! This is important to me (and probably would be to a teenage photo journalist).

As far as teenage photojournalism, I was in your shoes 10 years ago. I shot with an all manual Canon FT. I mean not even aperature priority or a motor drive. I still got the shot. I was even able to shoot far away sporting events with a 70-210 (without the a ratio) like football with great results. Learn your own gear and learn it well. That is the best way to take great shots!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    I stand corrected. But still.. that's $1000 -> $3500-5000! Quite a step.

The gap wasn't that wide the D100 was still available and the pro body D2H was going for $1900 (best buy I ever made).
    My point is that 12 months ago Nikon didn't have as much of an impressive lineup as Canon did. And Canon definitely seemed to have better value. Now Nikon has made fantastic progress in the last 12 months. But again.. is it too late? .. Hopefully not.

The current line-up of the D50, D70, D200, D2Hs, and the D2X is the best out there. This is not a race. I don't care who has the best sales. I care about a product line that suits my needs. By 5 PM (the delivery time for my D2X) I will have the D100, the D2H and the D2X. Those 3 bodies and my glass will fit my needs perfectly.
    I don't understand your point of view here at all! How on earth is having more options ever a bad thing for us consumers? Just because they revise and replace a model doesn't mean you have to buy it! There have been plenty of very happy (and very smart in my eyes) users who have skipped one or more of the more incremental refreshes.

Photography for me is about taking pictures and not getting the newest gadget with more bells and whistles. When I buy a camera I intend to shoot with it for a few years. It takes that long to get to know a camera (I'm slow). I don't want a new camera every other month. I want to get a quality body and spend some time with it. I find that very often I get my best shots with my D100. Its old and its pokey but I know it very well, we work well together. Too many folks, IMHO, spend too much time on the technology when they should be concentrating on the art.

As for FF, its nice but not vital. Dixie has taken the best landscapes I've seen here with Canon cameras with the 1.6 mag factor. You don't need FF to get landscapes, you need talent.
    Harry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Ya know, one reason I like DGrin is the (normal) absense of threads like these...

sigh.

Yea, yea, all in good fun. But then the bickering, the bickering, the endless bickering...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    Yea, yea, all in good fun.

What good is life without a little fun?

I would agree with you if anyone here started taking this too seriously. The underlying message here is, if it works for you, great. Because it's not the camera, it's the photographer. And hopefully along the way you'll learn a little something. But mostly it's to have fun.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    HAHA I can't believe this is still goin on. Go out and shoot.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    Ya know, one reason I like DGrin is the (normal) absense of threads like these...

sigh.

Yea, yea, all in good fun. But then the bickering, the bickering, the endless bickering...rolleyes1.gif

It's all fun until someone gets poked in the eye :poke

lol3.gif
  • Options
    PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Remember the F6 that was released by Nikon? I don't recall Canon coming out with amy major new film cameras.

Alas its a sign of the changing times. I'm sure Canon is going all out for the film shooters. rolleyes1.gif

I'm just playing around by the way. I am a Canon shooter (Sony before now), but most of my lenses do not sport the C-name. I'm in it for what works best for me ;)
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    But mostly it's to have fun.

? It is headscratch.gif I thought it was to prove once and for all that Harry :harry is a senile old coot lol3.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    ? It is headscratch.gif I thought it was to prove once and for all that Harry :harry is a senile old coot lol3.gif

Well, see, that's my kind of fun!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops