Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 27, 2006
    Back to car-talk... funny story:

This weekend I was washing the GTI in the driveway, when I spot Mrs. Apple coming down the street. Quick background: I live on a new cul-de-sac in town, lots of big brand new houses. Mrs. Apple lives at the corner of the main road and our c-d-s, essentially, we live on what was her backyard for years and years. Without getting into details, she has on occasion known to come across as the "mean old lady". So I quickly turn down the radio in the garage a bit as to be on my best most polite behavior. As she comes strolling near I give a friendly wave (mamaIt brought me up as a very polite young man - stop the laughing you other mods, I can hear it now FLIPA.gif). Well, to my surprise, old Mrs Apple paused and said,

"that's a classy car. I watch you pull out in the morning and I think that color is really sharp!"

I replied with a somewhat shocked "thank you, i like it too, new cars are fun!". Mind you, I drive what most folks would consider a boy-racer car in tornado arrest-me-red! She proceded extoll about much she loves "the new cars these days" and how bright and strong the new paints are compared to that old dull stuff. My jaw got to hanging pretty low throughout this exchange.

So I figured it out: Mrs Apple isn't a mean old lady at all. She just has a crush on me. All the stories about her being mean come from MrsIt and our female housemate who both say she "glares" at them.
    lol3.gif

I gave her a big wave from my "classy ride" this morning! wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Back to car-talk... funny story:

This weekend I was washing the GTI in the driveway, when I spot Mrs. Apple coming down the street. Quick background: I live on a new cul-de-sac in town, lots of big brand new houses. Mrs. Apple lives at the corner of the main road and our c-d-s, essentially, we live on what was her backyard for years and years. Without getting into details, she has on occasion known to come across as the "mean old lady". So I quickly turn down the radio in the garage a bit as to be on my best most polite behavior. As she comes strolling near I give a friendly wave (mamaIt brought me up as a very polite young man - stop the laughing you other mods, I can hear it now FLIPA.gif). Well, to my surprise, old Mrs Apple paused and said,

"that's a classy car. I watch you pull out in the morning and I think that color is really sharp!"

I replied with a somewhat shocked "thank you, i like it too, new cars are fun!". Mind you, I drive what most folks would consider a boy-racer car in tornado arrest-me-red! She proceded extoll about much she loves "the new cars these days" and how bright and strong the new paints are compared to that old dull stuff. My jaw got to hanging pretty low throughout this exchange.

So I figured it out: Mrs Apple isn't a mean old lady at all. She just has a crush on me. All the stories about her being mean come from MrsIt and our female housemate who both say she "glares" at them.
    lol3.gif

I gave her a big wave from my "classy ride" this morning! wave.gif

Dear forum,

i never thought this would happen to me...
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Dear forum,

rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    I'm not allowed to work during school (Not even 15 hrs a week) but I work during the summer.

Last year I made $5000 scooping icecream. This summer I am waiting tables so I plan on making between 6-7k maybe more.

Ok, Then your not as soft as I soft as I thought you were. But I still say you have too much free time.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Dear forum,

rolleyes1.gif

:uhoh
    Erik

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 27, 2006
    Ok, Then your not as soft as I soft as I thought you were. But I still say you have too much free time.
    I agree 100% thats why I'm now pledging a fraternity.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    I agree 100% thats why I'm now pledging a fraternity.

Uh oh, frat boy...seriously though how did you make more money over the summer scooping ice cream than I made working at a law firm?

And if a 17 year old is convicted for a moving violation (at least in my state where at 17 you still have your provisional license IIRC), you go back to a learner's permit...that'll be fun.
    And while radar detectors are used for law breaking purposes by some, personally I advocate them because it's a person's right (for now) to own one, and in this day and age you better use your rights because pretty soon they'll be taken away (the few we still have left). Though I wouldn't let a 17 year old have one to be honest. The only reason I got one is because in NC they'll even give tickets for doing 6 over...also suddenly I find 55 zones becoming 35 and 25 zones, even though there has been no new development or anything of that nature. My favorite is how main street is 25mph going northbound and 35mph going southbound...and the southbound lane has more entrances onto it...wtf?

DoctorIt, if you want the woman to be a mean old lady again, next time she talks about how new cars have stronger color than old cards, educate her on how show cars use lacquer, and that she is in fact wrong...it's fun not to make friendsthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    DoctorIt, if you want the woman to be a mean old lady again, next time she talks about how new cars have stronger color than old cards, educate her on how show cars use lacquer, and that she is in fact wrong...
    I didn't want to break her sweet old heart. lol3.gif

And yeah I know about paints...

If it wasn't for all the strict regulations about the toxic lacquer and hard oil-based paints that used to be the norm on old cars (remember that deep shine?), I would be out of the job. Paints fall under the category of "non-Newtonian fluids", and although we're making advances with the polymer based stuff and the new nanoparticle additives/nanostructure, they are still nowhere near as nice as the old stuff in terms of show-car-guy-standards: shine, durability. On the other hand, great for tree-huggers - I have a dilemma here since I appreciate both sides. You just can't polish the thin new paints to showroom by simply removing the top layer with some good compound.

Trust me, I know about thin wimpy "new" paints. My one month-old car has swirl marks galore!
    umph.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    On the other hand, great for tree-huggers - I have a dilemma here since I appreciate both sides. You just can't polish the thin new paints to showroom by simply removing the top layer with some good compound.

Trust me, I know about thin wimpy "new" paints. My one month-old car has swirl marks galore!
    umph.gif

On the part before the break: are you familiar with Glasurit? Best of both worlds...well on a local scale at least. Made using chemicals in a way that's illegal in the US to manufacture, but legal to paint a car with it once it has been made.

On the second part, I can't help but wonder how they got there. Honestly, as wimpy as the modern water based stuff is, still something has to make the swirl marks. The way to prevent them is to use a real (not imitation) sheepskin mitt (I get mine from www.carcareonline.com not quick sure why they sell the imitation stuff since Larry, the owner, is against it, but the Australian sheepskin is good). Also a good soap (there are some really cruddy soaps out there, most everything you find in Autozone type stores falls in this category), like P21S or Sonax (sonax is VERY hard to get in the US since the EPA doesn't like how they label their bottles and Sonax doesn't care to redesign the label, which is too bad because it's my favorite). OF course, also when you polish don't use an abrasive polish unless you already have scratches, instead use a cleaner (again, like P21S gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser) and even then only once a year if garaged or 4 times a year if outside (i.e. every time you wax if parked outside). And when using a cleaner and when using wax, always do so in linear motions (not circular). And don't use cleaner waxes.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    On the part before the break: are you familiar with Glasurit? Best of both worlds...well on a local scale at least. Made using chemicals in a way that's illegal in the US to manufacture, but legal to paint a car with it once it has been made.
    Not familiar with specifics, I just know the science from my research and a bit about the car biz from my stint working in it. I'll google Glasurit for my bit of non-phd related learning today.
    thumb.gif
    On the second part, I can't help but wonder how they got there. Honestly, as wimpy as the modern water based stuff is, still something has to make the swirl marks.
    I washed it once, this weekend (previously only rinsed the salt and sand off at the self-service car wash with warm water/high pressure) using a sponge and some seriously diluted, but admittedly cheap car soap. I know to stay away from the car shampoo that has wax in it. The sponge was also new, also from AutoZone seemed pretty soft, but again, not of car-show-guy caliber and rinsed well.

So while I'm not trying to keep my car show-quality perfect, and at the end of the day, the perfection of the paint job is not going to ruin my day, I do like to keep it looking "nice".

This is a good line of car-talk... caring for paint. thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I washed it once, this weekend (previously only rinsed the salt and sand off at the self-service car wash with warm water/high pressure) using a sponge and some seriously diluted, but admittedly cheap car soap. I know to stay away from the car shampoo that has wax in it. The sponge was also new, also from AutoZone seemed pretty soft, but again, not of car-show-guy caliber and rinsed well.

High pressure wand!!! Sacrilege! Don't you have a hose you could use? Those high pressure self-wash stations are hard on the paint. If you don't have a spigot at your house then at least take a bucket and fill that up with the water from the wand and then rinse the car with tbe bucket. I won't even get started on the sponge. Next thing I know you guys will be telling me you think it's absurd to spend 5 hours cleaning a car. I'm not the abnormal one, I swear :uhoh
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    High pressure wand!!! Sacrilege! Don't you have a hose you could use? Those high pressure self-wash stations are hard on the paint.
    Seriously? It's not like a pressure washer, just a slightly higher pressure hose that gets a lot more of the salt/sand off. You don't live in the northeast, do you? I refuse to believe that slightly higher pressure water (talking higher than a garden hose, not a pressure washer) is that bad for your paint.

My thinking there is that its better to try and rinse off as much as possible of the sand/salt before wiping it with anything. And I don't care if that anything is a baby's ass. In my head, I'm still moving catching the bits of salt/sand and moving them around on the paint.

Please explain to me why I'm wrong (not being argumentative, I'd really like to know).
    I won't even get started on the sponge.
    See above, how is a baby sheep's back taht much better than a good big sponge?
    Next thing I know you guys will be telling me you think it's absurd to spend 5 hours cleaning a car. I'm not the abnormal one, I swear :uhoh
    Ah, well I see I wasted my breath above. You're going to tell us everything is wrong.

This ought to make you sleep rotten tonight... wanna know the last time I washed my motorcycle? Yeah, me too! lol3.gif

riding or washing. tough choice. sorry, occasionally I ride it through a stream.
    Erik

• Options
    Micah WeberMicah Weber Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    gallardodrops.jpg

CS5.jpg

gallardoRD.jpg

430side.jpg

lambolead.jpg

solwater.jpg

yellowZ.jpg

F40side2.jpg

MANY MORE at my site in the auto sections, far too many to post here
    Portfolio: www.micahweber.com | Nikon Shooter. D50 |18-55mm | 55-200mm || S3
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Seriously? It's not like a pressure washer, just a slightly higher pressure hose that gets a lot more of the salt/sand off. You don't live in the northeast, do you? I refuse to believe that slightly higher pressure water (talking higher than a garden hose, not a pressure washer) is that bad for your paint.

My thinking there is that its better to try and rinse off as much as possible of the sand/salt before wiping it with anything. And I don't care if that anything is a baby's ass. In my head, I'm still moving catching the bits of salt/sand and moving them around on the paint.

Please explain to me why I'm wrong (not being argumentative, I'd really like to know).

See above, how is a baby sheep's back taht much better than a good big sponge?

I do live in the Northeast...almost (Bethesda, MD, just north of DC), although the only place I've ever seen those self wash things at is near my school in NC.
    The ones I know are fairly high pressure (you'll notice when you try to fill a bucket and see how long it takes, i.e. little water is coming out, but it's coming out with a lot of force). Maybe yours are different. Does it come out in stream or in a wide one drop high (well more, but you know what i mean) spread? If it's just slightly more pressure than a hose, then I guess it's fine (though the concours guys don't even put nozzles on the hoses).

Of course it's better to rinse first. You always have to rinse the car down before touching it with anything, in fact you should also let it soak...and make sure the paint is cool...give the engine block time to cool too, especially if it's a diesel.
    As far as the baby sheep's back compared to the sponge, well for one the sponge just isn't as soft, but more importantly with sponges the junk tends to get trapped right near the surface. With the sheepskins it tends to go to the base of the hairs, so that way it's further from the paint. Also, sheepskin releases the dirt when shaken in a bucket more easily than anything else I've ever seen.
    While I'm on the cleaning topic, do not use the wheel cleaners you see in stores on your wheels, especially not Meguiar's (who have faced class action lawsuits and lost, yet still don't change the formula). They will strip that paint, some sooner than others. The only safe one (well not the only, but the only moderately mainstream one that is safe) is P21S (yes, I do like that company, but then they are German and priced lower than Zymol but with the same company ethic, so what's not to like). The best is just to use whatever you use on your paint.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    sorry to quote pics...

(pics)

MANY MORE at my site in the auto sections, far too many to post here
    Details?!

you're a baller, BTW

***mod edit: since junior doesn't know he doesn't have to quote the pics, I fixed it for him***
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    thx, what kinda details do you want? but here are some more~

porschegarage.jpg

s4m3.jpg

bentleybadge.jpg

audreybentley.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    Hey Doc: We have another Get To Gether on April 15th. Want to join?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    thx, what kinda details do you want?
    Any of those cars yours? Where were those pictures taken? Did you get to drive any?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    Any of those cars yours? Where were those pictures taken? Did you get to drive any?

the green one is mine

gallardo/murci/porsche/F430 pix were in detroit

bentley pix were in pittsburg

red ferrari challenge stradale pix were in orlando

all friends of mine cars... i dont ask to drive them
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    Hey Doc: We have another Get To Gether on April 15th. Want to join?
    perhaps. remind me when it's closer thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    I do live in the Northeast...almost (Bethesda, MD, just north of DC), although the only place I've ever seen those self wash things at is near my school in NC.
    The ones I know are fairly high pressure (you'll notice when you try to fill a bucket and see how long it takes, i.e. little water is coming out, but it's coming out with a lot of force). Maybe yours are different. Does it come out in stream or in a wide one drop high (well more, but you know what i mean) spread? If it's just slightly more pressure than a hose, then I guess it's fine (though the concours guys don't even put nozzles on the hoses).

Of course it's better to rinse first. You always have to rinse the car down before touching it with anything, in fact you should also let it soak...and make sure the paint is cool...give the engine block time to cool too, especially if it's a diesel.
    As far as the baby sheep's back compared to the sponge, well for one the sponge just isn't as soft, but more importantly with sponges the junk tends to get trapped right near the surface. With the sheepskins it tends to go to the base of the hairs, so that way it's further from the paint. Also, sheepskin releases the dirt when shaken in a bucket more easily than anything else I've ever seen.
    While I'm on the cleaning topic, do not use the wheel cleaners you see in stores on your wheels, especially not Meguiar's (who have faced class action lawsuits and lost, yet still don't change the formula). They will strip that paint, some sooner than others. The only safe one (well not the only, but the only moderately mainstream one that is safe) is P21S (yes, I do like that company, but then they are German and priced lower than Zymol but with the same company ethic, so what's not to like). The best is just to use whatever you use on your paint.
    Maybe I'll just pee on it next time.

:hide

And how can I take your advice about preventing swirl marks seriously? Look at your frickin license plate!!

17306679-M.jpg

lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And how can I take your advice about preventing swirl marks seriously? Look at your frickin license plate!!

lol3.gif
    lol I used to have that benz. 1985 500SEL but it was grey market so it had everything in German and smaller bumpers. Thing was a tank.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    all friends of mine cars... i dont ask to drive them
    this is a car talk thread... if you haven't driven 'em, who cares!

38780456-L.jpg

*** i'm completely kidding you realize - it's just a funny way of saying: you really should have asked to drive the Conti GT, it is one hell of a ride! (yeah, that's me :D)
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

*** i'm completely kidding you realize - it's just a funny way of saying: you really should have asked to drive the Conti GT, it is one hell of a ride! (yeah, that's me :D)
    ya i rode IN it, its very quick, a lot of power, but i dont like risking someone else's ride of that caliber. plus asking to drive sends wrong signals IMO
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

38780456-L.jpg

but where's the pullover?

better yet, who's clothes are those?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    ya i rode IN it, its very quick, a lot of power, but i dont like risking someone else's ride of that caliber.
    what does that say about your driving skills? naughty.gif
    bigwebguy wrote:
    but where's the pullover?

better yet, who's clothes are those?
    I stole those along with the car so I wouldn't look so suspicious. lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    wow I posted our get together on 6 BMW forums and I get the feeling we're going to have 30+ BMW's!
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    wow I posted our get together on 6 BMW forums and I get the feeling we're going to have 30+ BMW's!

IMO bmws are the easiest car to get 30+ in one spot...

dOCtor - haha my skills are fine as i track my car when i can, the guy that owns it, is a plastic surgeon, not sure if youve ever seen Teckademics videos? but i wasnt about to ask him, he had just purchased it
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    IMO bmws are the easiest car to get 30+ in one spot...
    True story
    dOCtor - haha my skills are fine as i track my car when i can,
    Lol you track the body kitted honda?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    True story

Lol you track the body kitted honda?

what body kit?
This discussion has been closed.