:D

* both sourced from Car & Driver test results
    I figured that.

Turbo > Supercharger
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited March 28, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    :barf why do you want that porky purple thing? Ugly as sin!

Fixed it for you.

Andy, listen to your wife...I think she's on to something thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I really want the PT Turbo but The Missus sez over her dead body...

Sigh.

at least you have good taste in wives...cuz you sure dont have it in cars.

seriously man, PT cruiser?

rolleyes1.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I really want the PT Turbo but The Missus sez over her dead body...

Sigh.

:puke1 :puke1 :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Oliver(my bro)'s car is so low he busted his oil pan today rolleyes1.gif.
    blue car
    61455111-M-1.jpg

I told him to get a skidplate but nope, he'd rather risk it headscratch.gif.

yhst-94168318875392_1888_681005

Now he has to drive my car for 2 weeks while he pulls the oil pan off the parts car and puts it on his car.

Laughing.gif in the mean time he wants to use metal epoxy to do a ghetto fix on the current oil pan. I told him this is a bad idea. Thoughts?
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    The metal epoxy is a VERY bad idea. Welding it would be fine, and if he gets to any exhaust shop they'll weld it up for him for $30 (just bring cash). He really should get a skid plate.
    I don't know about BMW, but I know Benz still makes skid plates for all of their cars (well, the oldest one I know of that they make a skidplate for still is the W116 (1973-1980...now that's what I call parts support), though they might make them for ones even older than that.

I don't know why, but the car I see for Andy is a 1973 Porsche 2.7RS. Tell the wife you were going to buy 25 new 1D Mk2N's and decided to get a classic Porsche instead. OK, OK, here's a more realistic one: 1986-1991 Mercedes 560SEC. You can get them with low miles in extremely good condition for about $20k, which isn't too bad considering that it's a top of the line Mercedes.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    That was my guess. Now chip both of them and see what happens. You guys and your stock engine computers. :D

Here's my thing with chipping turbos: I hope you don't plan to keep the car long.
    And then even with non-turbo engines, what do you do when you do a road trip to California? Knock sensors can only adjust timing and mixture so much from where its been set, and a chipped car on Californian gas stands about a 50/50 chance of knocking (plus whenever knock sensors are retarding your timing the car runs worse than if it just wasn't chipped in the first place).
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    :puke1 :puke1 :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke

Hey, that's been me since about 5:30 until about 30 minutes ago...how do you explain to your editor that you missed the game because you've had your head in and out of the toilet for the past 6 hours?
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    My daughter drove my 2 month old 2000 Maxima into the back of a pickup truck - $17.5K

The worst I ever did was drive my mother's 1963 Ford staton wagon into a river . . . . . . . . upside down. Long, long time ago . . . . .but they still remember!

Wow...even still I have everybody beat...I wonder when I'll drive again.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Here's my thing with chipping turbos: I hope you don't plan to keep the car long.
    And then even with non-turbo engines, what do you do when you do a road trip to California? Knock sensors can only adjust timing and mixture so much from where its been set, and a chipped car on Californian gas stands about a 50/50 chance of knocking (plus whenever knock sensors are retarding your timing the car runs worse than if it just wasn't chipped in the first place).
    Wow, we actually have another realist in this discussion!

I'm in total agreement. I think my car is pretty damn fast and well-balanced, why F with it? And I do intend (unlike Andy) to keep this one for quite a few years.
    lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:

seriously man,

rolleyes1.gif

Sucker is fast.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Cooper S: 15.2s @ 93mph
    GTI mkV 2.0T: 14.7s @ 95mph

:D

* both sourced from Car & Driver test results

According to the April Road and Track
    14.9@95.6 for the cooper
    14.8@94.6 for the GTI.

Honestly, that's close enough to be considered the same. If you look at the break down of the road and track tests were 0-xxx speeds are given for every 10mph (0-10,0-20, etc) you see that they swap back and forth at the shift points.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Sucker is fast.

Hello, I have driven a PT Turbo before (we all have to do things we don't want to from time to time right), and that thing sucked. I mean I guess if your used to a misery van it might be fast but it's still nothing to right home about.

Most quarter mile time slips I see for them are saying right around 15.6

Stock 350Z is good for mid 14's easy. Throw on a couple simple, and relatively cheap mods, and you can be in the 13's easy. Throw on those mods, and a twin turbo package......

PT's are ugly, and slow.

Z's are fast and kawaii.

BTW driving a PT is like driving a minivan.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Andy, you're kidding right? An SUV? As a photographer you are supposed to be a little bit artsy, so as an artsy person, even if it's just a little, you should be opposed to SUV's. Get a Mustang GT...vista blue on medium parchment, 5spoke 18" wheels, shaker 500, interior sport appearance package, anti-theft system, side airbags $28,220.
    Ok, now off to class.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy, you're kidding right? An SUV? As a photographer you are supposed to be a little bit artsy, so as an artsy person, even if it's just a little, you should be opposed to SUV's.
    You see Marlin there is a problem with that theory. Andy over the years has raised a family and gotten used to driving minvan's and as much as he claims to want a sporty and fun car, as much as he claims to be over "miseryvans", he has grown to like them. But seeing as he has made it known that is done with them he needs to get something thats like a minivan but isn't a minivan. Something like those suv's he's got listed there.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    But seeing as he has made it known that is done with them he needs to get something thats like a minivan but isn't a minivan. Something like those suv's he's got listed there.

Bang-on!

So, I do like riding up high, and I like a leetle bit of extra room for "stuff."

What I really like? My wife's 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. If I could convince her to get a new car, I'd be thrilled to drive that. She won't give it up though...

Sigh. Buying cars, sucks.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Bang-on!

Sure. If you have to do it more than once every three months lol3.gif

I do know what you mean about riding high though. The Audi is the first
    "car" I've owned in a long, long time. Always trucks or SUV's.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:

hm, interesting choices there coming from the mini...guessing you need more room.

ubarsu = fugly. like the aztek's ugly big sister.
    jeep = blasphemy (i'm a jeep guy but that thing...sigh)
    vw = best out of the three, but the salesman at the volvo/vw dealer where i bought my car told me they were having a lot of issues with the touraeg. who knows, they may have them worked out by now, been a year. Bonus if you get the 10cyl turbodiesel mwink.gif

speaking of volvo, have you considered the v50

or since you seem to have a DCX bias, the Dodge Nitro. I like that one because it looks like a transformer or better yet, the Dodge Caliber SRT4 with 300 hp.

i've personally got my eye on the new Toyota FJ Cruiser, but the one i sat in at the DC auto show disappointed me a bit
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Bang-on!

So, I do like riding up high, and I like a leetle bit of extra room for "stuff."

What I really like? My wife's 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. If I could convince her to get a new car, I'd be thrilled to drive that. She won't give it up though...

Andy I know you are into the euro cars, and what not but may I suggest looking at some of the Nissan SUV's like the Pathfinder or Murano. Also some of the Toyota SUV's are fairly nice as well. If you want the fancy brands that would be Infinite and Lexus. They have a high build quality, they are a bit more stylish than the american ones, and alittle bit more fun to drive than their american counter parts (at least to me). Bonus is they are very reliable, easy to care for, and have high resale values as well.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Bang-on!

So how about a wagon? Plenty of room, some of them in fact have more ground clearance than most SUV's (certainly than those road-bound SUV's), and you avoid many of the things that are wrong with SUV's such as blocking the view of other drivers who want to make a left turn when you also want to make a left turn, avoid the tipover issues, are are held to the emmissions and safety standards of a car instead of a truck. Audi, BMW, Subaru, and Volvo all make fine wagons.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:

hope you're friends w/the guy at the gas station...esp if you opt for the v8. it's a PIG.

i second dragon's vote on the Murano, completely left it off my list. Come this time next year i may be in one myself.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy I know you are into the euro cars, and what not but may I suggest looking at some of the Nissan SUV's like the Pathfinder or Murano. Also some of the Toyota SUV's are fairly nice as well. If you want the fancy brands that would be Infinite and Lexus. They have a high build quality, they are a bit more stylish than the american ones, and alittle bit more fun to drive than their american counter parts (at least to me). Bonus is they are very reliable, easy to care for, and have high resale values as well.

The concept of Japanese cars is one built on marketing and misleading organizations like Consumer Reports and JD Power. The Japanese were smart in that they followed out of sight out of mind. Keep the things that are out in the open looking good, and people assume everything is good. Take off some door panels and instrument clusters and you'll see what I mean.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    all make fine wagons.

:nono no wagons.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,cid-128798_sctid-12001,00.html

and

http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,cid-125878_sctid-12001,00.html

The FX is obviously sportier with more room than the cooper. The QX has even more room.

If you really want something that is gonna be fun, quick, and have room for more than you and a box of cherry ripes, I would go with the FX. If you want something fun, with room for the family, and gear, and a box of cherry ripes I'd say QX. But seeing as crash and speed have their own cars and it would prolly be a calmer trip if you made them follow I say FX.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :nono no wagons.

You have to give me a reason before I accept that. Wagons, especially German ones, are infinitley cooler than SUVs so that can't be the reasoning. Faster, better handling, and again don't have the negative points of an SUV.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    The concept of Japanese cars is one built on marketing and misleading organizations like Consumer Reports and JD Power. The Japanese were smart in that they followed out of sight out of mind. Keep the things that are out in the open looking good, and people assume everything is good. Take off some door panels and instrument clusters and you'll see what I mean.

Hmmm marlin, I have taken them down to frame. Currently restoring (slowly) a 300zxt. I've had my american cars taken apart that far as well. As well as my dad's ex's bmw's. As far as I'm concerned the nissan's are just as reliable if not more so than the BMW's I have seen. And alot cheaper to work on.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    You have to give me a reason before I accept that. Wagons, especially German ones, are infinitley cooler than SUVs so that can't be the reasoning. Faster, better handling, and again don't have the negative points of an SUV.

http://www.audiusa.com/model_home/0,,bodyStyleId-11,00.html?bodystyle=s4avant

thumb.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:

i second dragon's vote on the Murano,

$38,750 fully tricked out.
This discussion has been closed.