Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 24, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Hey Zach, don't forget to take some pictures? This is a photography
    forum, right deal.gif
    Oh I will take mucho pictures.

I asked on bimmerforums in the autox section and the told me similar answers. They also said hope it rains so the other cars have less traction well I rock out with my AWD car out.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    Oh I will take mucho pictures.

I asked on bimmerforums in the autox section and the told me similar answers. They also said hope it rains so the other cars have less traction well I rock out with my AWD car out.

I must have missed it probably because I didn't read this whole thread. You are going to an autocross with a BMW?

2 of my brothers and one of my nephews is going to the 5erfest in South Bend, Indiana.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Oh that? It's not new anymore. It's almost 2w old. First service is scheduled for 5k miles. I won't have to get out any sort of tools. It's included with the car.
    You have a 1.8T? Have you chipped it? Make sure they're putting in synthetic. Better yet, bring your own Mobil 1 and a box of donuts. The best thing you can do while the car's covered under the free maintenance is get in good with your service advisor and the techs. They can save you a load of $ down the road.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 24, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    You have a 1.8T?
    He has a 2.0T, the don't make the 1.8T anymore. I'm answering for Ian cuz I just got one too.
    Have you chipped it?
    why is this the first question out of everyone's mouth when they hear you have a VAG X.XT?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    You have a 1.8T? Have you chipped it?
    Chipping new cars really doesn't do all that much. On BMW's '93 and up all a chip does is maybe add 2-3hp and in my book thats not worth $300 for a decent chip.

Now my 17 year old car on the other hand, the gains people see from chipping my car is on the order of 15-20 RWHP which is a significant difference. I can also buy the best chip for my car for under $250.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    Chipping new cars really doesn't do all that much. On BMW's '93 and up all a chip does is maybe add 2-3hp and in my book thats not worth $300 for a decent chip.
    Ah my boy, you are sadly mistaken. Chipping new cars is way way more effective than old ones. Think about it, how much computer control is in new cars vs. old ones? Right! A lot more. From what I've read, A $200-$300 chip will give the turbo VAG engine 40 bhp instanltly. I've only read, I dare not try... that would be absolutely absurd for a 3200lb front-drive car.
    Erik

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 24, 2006
    I work with a guy that's into Cyclones (that's a S10 truck with go-fast
    stuff). He's into all that chipping and turboing. Yeah, his truck goes fast.
    Me? I think the Audi is pretty quick out of the box. When it comes right
    down to it, we'll both end up with tickets using any of that power on the
    street. lol3.gif

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Ah my boy, you are sadly mistaken. Chipping new cars is way way more effective than old ones. Think about it, how much computer control is in new cars vs. old ones? Right! A lot more. From what I've read, A $200-$300 chip will give the turbo VAG engine 40 bhp instanltly. I've only read, I dare not try... that would be absolutely absurd for a 3200lb front-drive car.
    Well that may be the case with VAG engins but BMW engines come pre-tunned to their maximum efficiency. 2-3 more hp and 2-3 more mpg. Your car weighs 3200lbs? sorry!
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    Well that may be the case with VAG engins but BMW engines come pre-tunned to their maximum efficiency. 2-3 more hp and 2-3 more mpg. Your car weighs 3200lbs? sorry!
    Yes, my car weighs 3200 lbs. Find me something else that'll carry 4 people and their luggage comfortably, pulls in any gear, and has over 200 ft-lbs of torque that weighs less.

That aside, sometimes you sound so much like me of 5 years ago that it scares me... Driving a ratty old bavarian box and swearing up and down the street its the best thing on two wheels.
    lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    Ah, the new 2.0T. A3 or A4? Haven't followed its' aftermarket at all since I have a B5 Avant (2001 A4 1.8T). Have you been to Audiworld.com? My GIAC chip adds ~40 hp and 80 lb-ft. An Audi chip is the biggest bang for the buck you can get. Of course quattro helps a lot for traction, too. Killer in the winter with winter tires.

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Ah, the new 2.0T. A3 or A4?
    Ian has a new A4... I have an A3, only it's a 3 door and has a VW badge on the front. :D

I actually like it much better than the A3 I drove. That may have been different if I had driven the quattro version, but at $10k more than the GTI, I still would have ended up with the GTI.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    Chipping new cars really doesn't do all that much
    Unless it has a factory turbo, then it pays off in spades.
    SnowWhite wrote:
    Show me a current BMW weighing less than 3200 pounds. You can't compare a current German sport sedan to one that's a decade old. Safety and comfort have come a long way. As a track car, the old E30s are nice, but as a daily driver, I'll take something a little more substantial.

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    Yeah, the prices on new Audis are getting ridiculous. Prices on a well-equipped A3 2.0T are what I paid for my A4 almost 5 years ago. The nice thing about the front drive turbo Audi/VWs, is you get more power to the wheels (no quattro sucking up your hp). As long as you can manage traction, you'll get more power to the ground. Have they gotten rid of that horrible blue-ish instrument panel lighting on the VWs yet?

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    That aside, sometimes you sound so much like me of 5 years ago that it scares me... Driving a ratty old bavarian box and swearing up and down the street its the best thing on two wheels.
    lol3.gif

Two wheels? You talking about your GS lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Yeah, the prices on new Audis are getting ridiculous. Prices on a well-equipped A3 2.0T are what I paid for my A4 almost 5 years ago.
    nod.gif It's funny. For less money, the base GTI has much more standard equipment than the base A3. Both have fwd, same engine, same chassis. The interior of the base GTI is way nicer than the base A3. While I liked the A3 I drove a few months ago, the interior was no more exciting than MrsIt's 2004 Jetta. GTI on the other hand, even my cheapest no option model has the sweet flat-bottomed fat-gripped sport steering wheel, nice aluminum trim, etc. You pay a lot for the 5 rings... just like you pay alot for that kidney bean grille.

Too bad BMW doesn't have a little sister company, trickle down within big companies is such a good thing. Can you imagine the VW level version of a 3-series?! Who wouldn't have one?
    The nice thing about the front drive turbo Audi/VWs, is you get more power to the wheels (no quattro sucking up your hp). As long as you can manage traction, you'll get more power to the ground.
    As far as front drivers go, the GTI has crazy grip, it puts all that torque down very well while retaining a very neutral feel. VAG has come a long way in making their engines lighter to eliminate that wheel-barrow effect.
    Have they gotten rid of that horrible blue-ish instrument panel lighting on the VWs yet?
    They threw in lots of the Audi red/orange, so it's now very acceptable. I rather like it.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Show me a current BMW weighing less than 3200 pounds. You can't compare a current German sport sedan to one that's a decade old.
    z4 m coupe
    2050912.010.mini15L.jpg
    at 3104lbs
    TristanP wrote:
    Safety and comfort have come a long way. As a track car, the old E30s are nice, but as a daily driver, I'll take something a little more substantial.
    Thats what I have!
    60189560-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    z4 m coupe at 3104lbs
    Uh, wow. That's really ugly. It IS under 3200 pounds, though.
    SnowWhite wrote:
    Thats what I have!
    That's why I said it. :D

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 24, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Uh, wow. That's really ugly. It IS under 3200 pounds, though.

That's why I said it. :D
    i like the coupe version the best...but those body panel lines are horrible no matter what version. (it is an m3 under there though)
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    10740_NNKQXCORLTCNQ.jpg

001_150.jpg

004_049.jpg
    Light weight race version

Williams F1 has ended its reign and team PGT has taken over.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:

001_150.jpg
    awww, he looks so happy!

i think that's how i'll carve my pumpkin this year
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    Now my 17 year old car on the other hand, the gains people see from chipping my car is on the order of 15-20 RWHP which is a significant difference. I can also buy the best chip for my car for under $250.

I'll admit I'm not too hip to the older BMWs, but 17 year old bimmer has enough tech in it to be worth chipping? I didn't think they went OBD until 1992. Can't you simply advance the timing and lean out the mixture mechanically?
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    awww, he looks so happy!

i think that's how i'll carve my pumpkin this year
    rolleyes1.gif

it is pretty cute, isn't it?
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    I'll admit I'm not too hip to the older BMWs, but 17 year old bimmer has enough tech in it to be worth chipping? I didn't think they went OBD until 1992. Can't you simply advance the timing and lean out the mixture mechanically?
    1992 for OBD1 thats correct. If we could add 20hp by adjusting the mixture, somone would be doing it instead of spending $200 on a chip :)
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    ...You pay a lot for the 5 rings...
    so this stuck in my head all day and i couldnt figure out why until i saw an audi in a parking lot today...

audi-logo.jpg!= 200px-Olympic_flag.svg.png
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:

audi-logo.jpg!= 200px-Olympic_flag.svg.png

I was going to let that go, seeing as how he's only driving a veedub and hasn't been properly "trained" yet. :D

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    http://www.325ix.com/pics/autox/325ix.avi

Quick video of another 325ix autocrossing. He told me all the tips and tricks on how to autox an auto 325ix.

The best part is that its supposed to sprinkle in the morning so the course may be a little wet throughout the day which is good for me :)
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    1992 for OBD1 thats correct. If we could add 20hp by adjusting the mixture, somone would be doing it instead of spending $200 on a chip :)

It's not increasing the peak hp, it's about raising the average hp and putting it where you need it. If your BMW is mechanical injection and ignition, assuming you run high test gas (IIRC those year BMW's only call for 87) rotate the distributor to dial in about 5 degrees of advance over the factory spec (obviously some number other than 5 is ideal, maybe 3, maybe 7, more likely 7 than 3, just don't blow the engine, but this gives you an idea of where to start) and richen the mixture a touch to start with, then lean it out as far as you can. I bet your 1/4 mile times will drop by 3 tenths.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    It's not increasing the peak hp, it's about raising the average hp and putting it where you need it. If your BMW is mechanical injection and ignition, assuming you run high test gas (IIRC those year BMW's only call for 87) rotate the distributor to dial in about 5 degrees of advance over the factory spec (obviously some number other than 5 is ideal, maybe 3, maybe 7, more likely 7 than 3, just don't blow the engine, but this gives you an idea of where to start) and richen the mixture a touch to start with, then lean it out as far as you can. I bet your 1/4 mile times will drop by 3 tenths.
    Richard
    So you're saying that the dynojets are lying when they read 142 RWPH stock and 155 RWHP with a chip?

BTW I already have a mass airflow meter from a 3.5l engine and 19lb injectors (stock is 15).
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    I have a question.

In response to the "hey you should chip it" comment, I took a look around.
    How the heck do you know who's telling the truth and who's lying? I mean
    one says one thing and another something else with regard to processing
    claims. Who are "reliable" mfgr's?
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    SnowWhite wrote:
    So you're saying that the dynojets are lying when they read 142 RWPH stock and 155 RWHP with a chip?

BTW I already have a mass airflow meter from a 3.5l engine and 19lb injectors (stock is 15).

No, actually what I was saying was a typo. Instead of "It's not increasing the peak hp" I meant to say it's not increasing the peak hp that matters. If there is a chip for it, I figure it's got electronic injection, but advancing the timing would still probably work...unless the chip is doing that. To be honest I don't know enough about those cars that were in between the mechanical and electrical era...if it's mechanical though, the timing advance is worth it.
This discussion has been closed.