Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :nono no wagons.

We agree. nod.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    the negative points of an SUV.

Our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee is probably one of the best driving big vehicles I've ever had. Drives like a car, acts like a truck. Smooth, comfortable, quiet, great on the bumps, it's sweet.

Negative points? What negative points :D
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    $38,750 fully tricked out.

I know alot of people with them who love them. I know alot of people who looked at them, the bought domestic and are kicking themselves now.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    $38,750 fully tricked out.
    mmmkay...not sure what that means.

you have a hard time getting into that land rover you linked for under 50...
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee is probably one of the best driving big vehicles I've ever had. Drives like a car, acts like a truck. Smooth, comfortable, quiet, great on the bumps, it's sweet.

Negative points? What negative points :D

I know alot of people who are going through jeep engines left and right. They don't hold up as well as the nissan and toyota engines. The V6 that is in the Infiniti is the same that is in most nissan products and even the 350Z and it has been rated as one of the best engines on the market for 11 years running.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    I know alot of people with them who love them. I know alot of people who looked at them, the bought domestic and are kicking themselves now.
    co-worker loves his, we drove one before we bought my wife her volvo and loved it, just too small to be the family mover.

that said, i like the style of the FX better...but it's mo spensive.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    co-worker loves his, we drove one before we bought my wife her volvo and loved it, just too small to be the family mover.

that said, i like the style of the FX better...but it's mo spensive.

The FX is deffinatley more spensive but it is the Luxury version. It is also loaded with some really neat tech toys.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Hmmm marlin, I have taken them down to frame. Currently restoring (slowly) a 300zxt. I've had my american cars taken apart that far as well. As well as my dad's ex's bmw's. As far as I'm concerned the nissan's are just as reliable if not more so than the BMW's I have seen. And alot cheaper to work on.
    I guess I should be fair. I've never had a Nissan or Infiniti apart, just Honda, Acura, Toyota...and the only Lexus I've ever had apart is an ES300, which I'm guessing is different from other Lexus' since it was just a camry with an L on the hood.
    And American cars were never exactly the standard of quality...then again neither are post-1992 Mercedes'
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    I guess I should be fair. I've never had a Nissan or Infiniti apart, just Honda, Acura, Toyota...and the only Lexus I've ever had apart is an ES300, which I'm guessing is different from other Lexus' since it was just a camry with and L on the hood.

Honda and accura are the same thing of course. Their engines are fairly reliable but the build quality on the body's isn't the best.

Toyota is the same as honda if you ask me and lexus is of course Toyota.

They run forever, are good all round cars, but I don't think they are built as tough as nissan IMHO.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    They run forever, are good all round cars, but I don't think they are built as tough as nissan IMHO.
    When I think run forever, I'm thinking 1970's-1980's Mercedes 300D, non-turbo, which will go 300k-400k miles before they need any top end work if properly maintained, and will easily go 800k without any bottom end problems. Maybe my standards are just too high.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    When I think run forever, I'm thinking 1970's-1980's Mercedes 300D, non-turbo, which will go 300k-400k miles before they need any top end work if properly maintained, and will easily go 800k without any bottom end problems. Maybe my standards are just too high.

I personally don't like mercedes though. And I will never have a car mercedes, or otherwise last that long. I beat the hell out of my cars and I know it. Thats why I consider how strong they are, how long they typically last for a normal person, how easy they are to work on, and how expensive they are to work on. Mercedes may last but parts for them are rediculous. Nissan lasts very long as well (I know many z cars that have lasted into the multiple hundred of thousands of miles without any head work or block work). And they are easier and cheaper to work on.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Now that Andy is pretty much set on an SUV, I'm surprised junior, aka nancy, aka cra$h hasn't chimed in with his beloved brand yet:

VE219-2.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    or this is more up bigwebguy's alley:

BMW%20X5%20Paris%20Dakar%20HBNKAkqaWrc_Pxgen_r_400xA.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    or this is more up bigwebguy's alley:

BMW%20X5%20Paris%20Dakar%20HBNKAkqaWrc_Pxgen_r_400xA.jpg

nice!
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:

I want.... Actually I want a brand new one and I'll throw on the Turbo myself.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Question:

Did the same web designer make EVERY SINGLE car mfgr website out there? They all look the same!
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Question:

Did the same web designer make EVERY SINGLE car mfgr website out there? They all look the same!
    Pretty much. Actually it's more like one designer came up with an idea and the rest just copied that idea cause it worked ok.

Oh and when your talking about brand names like Nissan is Inifiniti and their sites look the same the answer on that is most deffinatley yes because they are the same company.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Nissan is Inifiniti

Yeah. I was born at night, but not last night. I may not be a grease monkey but I know a thing or two lol3.gif

wishing I could buy a Tucker
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah. I was born at night, but not last night. I may not be a grease monkey but I know a thing or two lol3.gif

wishing I could buy a Tucker

Laughing.gif. Well ya never know. I know people who still don't know that saturn is GM.

Hell my dad bought that mercury villager of his cause he thought it was a ford minivan. Boy was he surprised when I congratulated him on his purchase of a fine nissan automobile. And he was hoping to get something he was going to have to work on all the time. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    "car doesn't serve my purpose"

lol3.gif

you'd have to be a complete knucklehead to buy that thing, or just have way too much spare cash. if anything, anything went wrong with it, no one would touch it with a 20ft pole.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    "car doesn't serve my purpose"

lol3.gif

you'd have to be a complete knucklehead to buy that thing, or just have way too much spare cash. if anything, anything went wrong with it, no one would touch it with a 20ft pole.

what do you mean? you think the aftermarket video screens would void the warranty?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    what do you mean? you think the aftermarket video screens would void the warranty?
    exactly! rolleyes1.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    I like how he says it has just under 300hp at the rear wheels, then says it does have 300hp at the rear wheels, but in between those 2 statements he says it has 315hp and loses 75hp through the drivetrain (bringing it to 240hp)...and even still...300hp in a 4300lb car...yeah that's a lot, in 1985. I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 foot pole because I'm afraid of catching stupid.
    This is the car for Andy
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M6-Mint-Condition-Records-from-Brand-New-Cover-Car_W0QQitemZ4626676765QQcategoryZ6129QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Oh and Dragon, the MB's I'm talking about are pre-1992. 1992 and later MB's are a whole 'nother ball-game. Those are expensive to upkeep even for people who do their own labor.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy, here's the car for you. Just for you. Specially made, just for you. Enjoy. And don't thank me. It was an honor to serve you.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Andy, here's the car for you. Just for you. Specially made, just for you. Enjoy. And don't thank me. It was an honor to serve you.

Cool. I 1-Clicked it lol3.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Cool. I 1-Clicked it lol3.gif

Let me know how you like it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    The first review is hilarious.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Let me know how you like it.
    It travels well.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    So Andy when is your new FX going to show up?
    www.zxstudios.com
This discussion has been closed.