Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Oh and Andy when you get your new car make sure to follow these steps on the following page to insure the proper functionality of your blinkers.

http://www.geocities.com/changeyourblinkerfluid/index.html
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Micah WeberMicah Weber Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    dragon were u at the woodward cruise?
    Portfolio: www.micahweber.com | Nikon Shooter. D50 |18-55mm | 55-200mm || S3
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    dragon were u at the woodward cruise?

No missed it last year, I think I was working or something like that. Hopefully I'll be at this years.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Here's my thing with chipping turbos: I hope you don't plan to keep the car long.
    And then even with non-turbo engines, what do you do when you do a road trip to California? Knock sensors can only adjust timing and mixture so much from where its been set, and a chipped car on Californian gas stands about a 50/50 chance of knocking (plus whenever knock sensors are retarding your timing the car runs worse than if it just wasn't chipped in the first place).
    I'm keeping the car until it dies or is totalled. The chip is tuned to match the efficiency curve of the turbo (in my car anyway). It may lessen the life of the turbo, but not significantly, and I'm not giving it full boost much. New turbos are only ~$700. I always use Mobil 1 and get it tested when I do an oil change to see what's swimming in it. I can't see me ever driving to CA (I live in DE), but I do have a stock chip I can always put in if necessary.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I drive a 1996 Toyota Camry with 227k miles on it. Not very impressive, is it? I bought it new, I'm gonna keep it another couple of years, get it up to 300k, and then give it to my kid, who'll be 15 by then...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    You have to give me a reason before I accept that. Wagons, especially German ones, are infinitley cooler than SUVs so that can't be the reasoning. Faster, better handling, and again don't have the negative points of an SUV.
    110% agreement there. I am a bit biased, though.

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    I'm keeping the car until it dies or is totalled. The chip is tuned to match the efficiency curve of the turbo (in my car anyway). It may lessen the life of the turbo, but not significantly, and I'm not giving it full boost much. New turbos are only ~$700. I always use Mobil 1 and get it tested when I do an oil change to see what's swimming in it. I can't see me ever driving to CA (I live in DE), but I do have a stock chip I can always put in if necessary.

Piston rings, headgaskets, valves, valve stem seals, blah blah list goes on, all have limits on the amount of power and boost they can handle. As do transmissions and differentials. Some of the chips out there for turbos (like the ones for the porsche turbos for instance) can add in the area of 200hp. That's a lot more pressure to put on the car.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Piston rings, headgaskets, valves, valve stem seals, blah blah list goes on, all have limits on the amount of power and boost they can handle. As do transmissions and differentials. Some of the chips out there for turbos (like the ones for the porsche turbos for instance) can add in the area of 200hp. That's a lot more pressure to put on the car.

Most people who are going to put in those kinda chips also have the brains to upgrade their internals to handle the power. At least those of us who do upgrades to the zcars do.

And those who don't have the sense to upgrade the internals, don't have the sense to drive a car with that much power anyways. So let 'em destroy it.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    Micah WeberMicah Weber Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    No missed it last year, I think I was working or something like that. Hopefully I'll be at this years.

ah ok, i drove over from buffalo, all my friends there are from bloomfield hills..majority of their cars are on my site
    Portfolio: www.micahweber.com | Nikon Shooter. D50 |18-55mm | 55-200mm || S3
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Agreed. The Audi bottom end is very strong and the chip only adds 40 hp/80 tq. It's not even an upgraded turbo. Those who do crazy 2.0L conversions with huge turbos might risk their motor or tranny, but this is my daily driver, so nothing crazy is going on here. It's just a nice bump from stock.

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy, you should get an H3mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Oh My God! I get back from NY and I have to read through 5 pages of people trying to convince my dad to buy their brand of cars!?!?!?!

This reminds me of what happened back on page 30 or whatever. He was looking for a car and Oliver and I convinced him to get the Mini Cooper S. He hates it. Maybe he should get what HE wants to get, huh?

I weeded through all that BS and came to the conclusion that Dear Old Dad should take Nancy's Jeep for himself, and let her get what she wants (Lincoln Navagator).
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Oh My God! I get back from NY and I have to read through 5 pages of people trying to convince my dad to buy their brand of cars!?!?!?!

This reminds me of what happened back on page 30 or whatever. He was looking for a car and Oliver and I convinced him to get the Mini Cooper S. He hates it. Maybe he should get what HE wants to get, huh?

I weeded through all that BS and came to the conclusion that Dear Old Dad should take Nancy's Jeep for himself, and let her get what she wants (Lincoln Navagator).

We need two SUVs like we need ... uhm...... ohk I'll hold that thought lol3.gif
    I love everyone's advice, this is a great thread :D

I don't *hate* the Mini Cooper S - in fact it was 70degs here and I had to go somewhere, opened it all up, went down some twisty roads, it was kinda fun mwink.gif
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Okay, here you go . . .

Acura MDX

Yeah, it's a Honda Pilot. But it looks cooler and has a longer warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-MDX-Touring-SUV-2003-03-MDX-TOURING-ONLY-29K-FACT-WTY-TV-DVD-BEST-OFFER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42600QQitemZ4621207970QQtcZphoto

Jeep Cherokee/Laredo/whatever = yawn, salesrep's car
    Acura MDX = smugmug czar's mobile photo transport

or maybe a Volvo XC90
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I love everyone's advice, this is a great thread :D

I don't *hate* the Mini Cooper S - in fact it was 70degs here and I had to go somewhere, opened it all up, went down some twisty roads, it was kinda fun mwink.gif

Ok, I'm going to be serious and try to be helpful. What is it that you don't like about the Cooper S? That will help people make better suggestions.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    X3
    934270_6.jpg

You can get one of these for $25k slightly used. It is almost the same size as the Jeep.

934270_17.jpg

934270_27.jpg

Nice storage capacity too. And it is NOT a wagon!
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Cra$h wrote:
    934270_6.jpg

You can get one of these for $25k slightly used. It is almost the same size as the Jeep.

uh huh.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Wow, two people have come to an agreement on something!
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Wow, two people have come to an agreement on something!
    i think you misunderstood my post.

i was pointing out that in one post you said that all these people were telling Andy to buy THEIR brand of cars

then in the next post you pimp the Bimmer.

i just thought funny.

and the x3 is hideous IMHO....worst looking vehicle they have out right now.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 30, 2006
    if you know the right people, you can get a new X3 for not much more. they aren't exactly selling like hotcakes. deal.gif

papaIt says the Xdrive is absolutely phenomenal. He's a old skool staunch anti-SUV and rear drive BMW only guy, but after the dealer unveiling/training where they really got to test that X3 out, he was converted. Raves about it now. Even if you're not interested in the X3, that Xdrive is hands down the best awd system out there, check it out if you haven't. Puts Subaru and Audi to shame with what its capable of. And it does it so smoothly.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    papaIt says the Xdrive is absolutely phenomenal. He's a old skool staunch anti-SUV and rear drive BMW only guy, but after the dealer unveiling/training where they really got to test that X3 out, he was converted. Raves about it now. Even if you're not interested in the X3, that Xdrive is hands down the best awd system out there, check it out if you haven't. Puts Subaru and Audi to shame with what its capable of. And it does it so smoothly.
    I have heard the same thing. Bimmer and Rondel (2 prominent BMW magazines) are frequently critical of anything BMW and they rave about Xdrive.

Then again, there isn't anything like a good old viscous coupling :)
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Canada has a way better xdrive video/explanation:

http://www.bmw.com/generic/ca/en/fascination/technology/xdrive/content.html

pay attention to the torque split percentages... thanks to actually having a servo operated clutch, xdrive can go F/R: 100/0% or 0/100%. Subaru only has a limited slip diff+transfer case, so it has a natural torque split of 40/60, which can be locked out to 50/50, and it's not constantly active, just torque controlled. Audi... well, they appear to have a torsen diff on the cardan shaft, and claim a clutch as well that "distributes power" but I'm pretty sure they also max out at 50/50 F/R. Xdrive is unique in that it can send more power to the front than the rear.

**this isn't a pimp BMW post, it's a "I'm a geek engineer and I think this is cool" post. where's that nerd smiley?
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

pay attention to the torque split percentages... thanks to actually having a servo operated clutch, xdrive can go F/R: 100/0% or 0/100%. Subaru only has a limited slip diff+transfer case, so it has a natural torque split of 40/60, which can be locked out to 50/50, and it's not constantly active, just torque controlled. Audi... well, they appear to have a torsen diff on the cardan shaft, and claim a clutch as well that "distributes power" but I'm pretty sure they also max out at 50/50 F/R. Xdrive is unique in that it can send more power to the front than the rear.

**this isn't a pimp BMW post, it's a "I'm a geek engineer and I think this is cool" post. where's that nerd smiley?

ok erik, keep your geek hat on and splain what you can about the haldex system on my Volvo. I cant find anything out on how the power splits, but i know i cant so much as get a tire to bark by flooring it around a hard right in the rain.

http://www.haldex-traction.com/technical_information/performance_info/torque_transfer_characteristics.htm#
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

I agree that Xdrive pwns all but will it stand the test of time? I get the feeling that those motors and sensors will start to give out 5-10 years down the road and will be ridiculously expensive to replace.

My AWD is torque controlled also. It is 33/67 under normal driving conditions, but can switch up to 90% of its power to one wheel (unlike the Subaru). I also have not one but two Limited Slip Differentials naughty.gif.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    You know, I wouldn't be as disappointed in Andy if he got an X3 as opposed to some other SUV. At least it's fairly reasonably sized. Still though, a few posts up didn't he just say he needs two SUV's like a hole in the head?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    You know, I wouldn't be as disappointed in Andy if he got an X3 as opposed to some other SUV. At least it's fairly reasonably sized. Still though, a few posts up didn't he just say he needs two SUV's like a hole in the head?
    Yes, but trust me when I say there is a 95% chance of him getting another SUV. All Americans are doing it!
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I agree that Xdrive pwns all but will it stand the test of time? I get the feeling that those motors and sensors will start to give out 5-10 years down the road and will be ridiculously expensive to replace.
    a) reliability of just about any manufactured stuff has gone up exponentially. really. with the stuff engineers are doing these days, I'm amazed. Look at airplanes, they have systems that make xdrive look like an electric toothbrush and they're still in continuous service after 20 years.

b) nobody keeps cars for 10 years anymore, especially in the bmw bracket. those that do, have lots of money and do so because its a toy, not a daily driver. even honda and toyota know that its owners are replacing cars much quicker these days.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    ok erik, keep your geek hat on and splain what you can about the haldex system on my Volvo. I cant find anything out on how the power splits, but i know i cant so much as get a tire to bark by flooring it around a hard right in the rain.

http://www.haldex-traction.com/technical_information/performance_info/torque_transfer_characteristics.htm#
    english definitely wasn't their first language.

It looks like it has the same underlying principle as xdrive: ecu and sensor controlled torque split vs. mechanically controlled. So its all up to the sensors at each corner feeding back rotation info info and yaw/pitch sensor telling the system what the car is doing. I would assume it's also controlling braking, so if one wheel even hints at "barking" it gets shut right down.

The computer has you outsmarted. Start pulling some fuses and relays, then maybe you can make it bark. lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    a) reliability of just about any manufactured stuff has gone up exponentially. really. with the stuff engineers are doing these days, I'm amazed. Look at airplanes, they have systems that make xdrive look like an electric toothbrush and they're still in continuous service after 20 years.

b) nobody keeps cars for 10 years anymore, especially in the bmw bracket. those that do, have lots of money and do so because its a toy, not a daily driver. even honda and toyota know that its owners are replacing cars much quicker these days.
    True story but if I was to spend $50k+ on a car I would want it to last more than 10 years even if I wasn't going to keep it that whole time.

The e46 325i has over 100 seperate electric motors that will fail within 10 years, making the car almost worthless. I can only imagine how many motors the new e90 and e60 have.
This discussion has been closed.