Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Cars are different these days. All the complex electric motors will wear out and need to be replaced. Replacing over 100 motors in a car pretty much makes it worthless.

What you say is probably true for you and I. But what about developing
    economies? I used Cuba as an example because much of what they have
    done to keep these 40+ year old cars on the road could probably not be
    accomplished with today's vehicles--at least not without some work.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    Where there's a will there's a way. I rather have to replace electric motors than diagnose a vacuum leak. Many of the electronics actually make things much easier. For instance, the electronic MAF sensors are much easier to replace and diagnose than the old mechanical MAF setups Mercedes used to run. Not to mention a lot of things are unnecessary and can be thrown out when they break.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 30, 2006
    Well, I still hold that those forums are basically dpreview, but ok my full thought process is this:
    think about what types of people own e30's. Two types: people who want a BMW (but not because they are car people) but can't afford anything newer. This group typically rags the cars letting them get to a point where you say "How does a car even get like that" then they junkyard the car. This person never goes to an internet foum
    The second type is the kind that buys an E30 because they like old cars. These people hit up the forums, they work on their cars, they keep their cars nice.

Now with the E36 you have a higher percentage of people who fall into that same first category of wanting a bmw to have a bmw. You have a VERY small percentage of people who have an E36 because they are car people. Then you have this third group of young people (either kids who's daddy bought it for them or just sub-30 year old people) you are tech savvy so they go on the net and lookup the forums, but they aren't car people so they don't maintain their car well. Then they wonder why they have rust issues when for the past 10 years the car has been going to a car wash in the winter and having what is essetially salt water sprayed onto it (in addition to all their other ills, many car washes also recycle the water).
    Richard
    Well that may be the case but this wasn't what I was trying to say in the first place. /discussion
    Where there's a will there's a way. I rather have to replace electric motors than diagnose a vacuum leak. Many of the electronics actually make things much easier. For instance, the electronic MAF sensors are much easier to replace and diagnose than the old mechanical MAF setups Mercedes used to run. Not to mention a lot of things are unnecessary and can be thrown out when they break.
    I have no problem replacing motors or electric parts either, but my wallet does. BMW charges $1000 for the electric seat motor alone in an e46! Imagine having to pay for all those parts.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I have no problem replacing motors or electric parts either, but my wallet does. BMW charges $1000 for the electric seat motor alone in an e46! Imagine having to pay for all those parts.
    And MB charges $1670 wholesale for the trailing arm on my car...so I bought one from a breaker for $170. Something like a seat motor is even easier to get around since by the time a seat motor is burnt out the seat is likely in bad shape. All you have to do is retrofit in manual seats. Also, I bet the motors are a lot cheaper from some of the wholesalers, though I guess they don't burn out much since none of them have it listed. Don't worry about future maintenance costs, as time goes on and more of these things hit the junkyard, cheap parts will be available.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Well that may be the case but this wasn't what I was trying to say in the first place. /discussion

you'd have to be high to do that. see my previous posts, that e46 that needs a new seat motor would have been traded in long ago. nod.gif

that's where I'm coming from, btw. I drive a new VW because I know exactly what I will be paying every month. I tell most of my friends this when they go out looking for deals on "sweet old cars"... you're gonna end up having a car payment (probably for the rest of your life). It's up to you whether that payment takes the form of a car loan or an average monthly tab for repairs.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It's up to you whether that payment takes the form of a car loan or an average monthly tab for repairs.

Well, there's payments you have to make or they take your car and there's payments you have to make or something doesn't work on your car. As someone who doesn't like to owe people, I rather the latter...plus...
    show me a new car that you can buy for $3000 down and $50/month? That's what the cost to buy ($3k) and the maintenance costs (average about $500/year actually, including oil, spark plugs, brake fluid, etc) for me on my car.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I drive a new VW.

Here is one VW I am surprised Andy or wxwax don't own. They will probably try to use that only available in Europe line. rolleyes1.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Here is one VW I am surprised Andy or wxwax don't own. They will probably try to use that only available in Europe line. rolleyes1.giflol3.gif

I'm surprised Andy hasn't imported one of those. I mean honestly the man has bought (and sold) almost everything else that has EOS stamped on it.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    I'm surprised Andy hasn't imported one of those. I mean honestly the man has bought (and sold) almost everything else that has EOS stamped on it.

nod.gif maybe he will stuff one in his luggage on a trip back from London. :D
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    nod.gif maybe he will stuff one in his luggage on a trip back from London. :D

Bet ya he would if they put an "L" on it.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Bet ya he would if they put an "L" on it.

with red pin-striping. clap.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    cars...
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    cars...

So, tell us the story of SnowWhite to Cra$h...
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    So, tell us the story of SnowWhite to Cra$h...
    Laughing.gif no idea. I refreshed the page and I was Cra$h. I think Andy had something to do with it...

66_12.JPG
    Vas ist das?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:

Vas ist das?
    Headers for some sort of I-6
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Laughing.gif no idea. I refreshed the page and I was Cra$h. I think Andy had something to do with it...

66_12.JPG
    Vas ist das?

Dude needs to take a wielding class. That's for sure mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    0/2 so far

headers were close but what kind?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Here is another one

8610c09e.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    0/2 so far

headers were close but what kind?
    What do you mean when you say what kind? You want me to ID what car they go to or do you mean there is some name for that design of header?

Oh wait, I see, they're bass-ackwards. For some sort of vehicle where the engine is lower than the exhaust.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    What do you mean when you say what kind? You want me to ID what car they go to or do you mean there is some name for that design of header?

Oh wait, I see, they're bass-ackwards. For some sort of vehicle where the engine is lower than the exhaust.
    lol you're getting there. I'll tell you what engine. It is for an m20b25 engine for a 1988-1991 BMW. I can't believe nobody has gotten it yet! Doctorit?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    lol you're getting there. I'll tell you what engine. It is for an m20b25 engine for a 1988-1991 BMW. I can't believe nobody has gotten it yet! Doctorit?

Hmm those pictures suck. But judging from what I can see I'd say turbo.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Hmm those pictures suck. But judging from what I can see I'd say turbo.
    ding ding ding! I'm gathering parts...
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:

I feel like a guy who was saying "looks like some sort of electrical part, creates a spark to ignite some chamber of gas" but couldn't come up with "spark plug"
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    I feel like a guy who was saying "looks like some sort of electrical part, creates a spark to ignite some chamber of gas" but couldn't come up with "spark plug"
    Yeah you were so close!
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:

The port was obvious but not having the top looking down view made it confusing. I guess no one else on here has actually seen a turbo mounted.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    The port was obvious. I guess no one else on here has actually seen a turbo mounted.
    I knew either you or Doctorit would get it. Who ever saw it first.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    d1_12.JPG

Thats it mounted
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    The port was obvious but not having the top looking down view made it confusing. I guess no one else on here has actually seen a turbo mounted.
    Believe it or not, I've never even seen the engine bay of a car with a turbo. I'm a big believer in no substitute for cubic inches, so as a result those are the kinds of people and cars I hang around with. Turbo's are too advanced for the likes of us...though centrifugal superchargers aren't.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Believe it or not, I've never even seen the engine bay of a car with a turbo. I'm a big believer in no substitute for cubic inches, so as a result those are the kinds of people cars I hang around with. Turbo's are too advanced for the likes of us...though centrifugal superchargers aren't.

There's no replacement for displacement eh. Well thats just not true alot of motorsports cars are going to highrev engines for better horsepower output with lower weight. And a turbo deffinatley helps with that. And at least a turbo isn't as big of a cheat as spray.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Hey there isn't anything wrong with the spray. You may be shocked that I'm saying that, but it really serves the same purpose as a turbo/SC.

I would love to run a Holset H1c (Big truck turbo) and a 50 shot...
This discussion has been closed.