Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    There's no replacement for displacement eh. Well thats just not true alot of motorsports cars are going to highrev engines for better horsepower output with lower weight. And a turbo deffinatley helps with that. And at least a turbo isn't as big of a cheat as spray.

That's another thing I don't like: high revs. I like an engine that get's it's peak torque below 3000rpm and peak hp below 5000rpm. And weight smeight .Though I agree where speed is concerned you don't need big displacement, it's just a personal preference. Olds 442 indy pace car edition or honda s2000? No question the olds.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Hey there isn't anything wrong with the spray.

Until one of the nitrous injectors leaks, you go to start your car, and you engine blows up. Something that you don't have to worry about with forced induction.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    That's another thing I don't like: high revs. I like an engine that get's it's peak torque below 3000rpm and peak hp below 5000rpm. And weight smeight .Though I agree where speed is concerned you don't need big displacement, it's just a personal preference. Olds 442 indy pace car edition or honda s2000? No question the olds.

honda 2000 blah. R32 GT-R Skyline mwink.gif . If I were to get you into a properly built high rev engine and let you feel it before you realized what it was I bet I could change your mind.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Hey there isn't anything wrong with the spray. You may be shocked that I'm saying that, but it really serves the same purpose as a turbo/SC.

I would love to run a Holset H1c (Big truck turbo) and a 50 shot...

Laughing.gif Spray itself is not whats wrong. Kids who put it in their cars with no respect for it is whats wrong. Forced induction is one thing. But spray is more likely to kill your car or even you alot faster. To many FAF morons who don't know what they are doing with it.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 30, 2006
    Laughing.gif Spray itself is not whats wrong. Kids who put it in their cars with no respect for it is whats wrong. Forced induction is one thing. But spray is more likely to kill your car or even you alot faster. To many FAF morons who don't know what they are doing with it.
    Right, if it is installed wrong it can be a nightmare. If it is installed correctly however, it will have the same effect as a turbo or SC. Also the same effect on your engine.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Until one of the nitrous injectors leaks, you go to start your car, and you engine blows up. Something that you don't have to worry about with forced induction.
    OK Mr. Fast and the Furious. That stuff doesnt' happen with a proper setup.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    OK Mr. Fast and the Furious. That stuff doesnt' happen with a proper setup.
    So you've never had a fuel injector leak? Nitrous oxide injectors are susceptible to the same thing. BTW, did that happen in that Fast and Furious movie or something? I never saw it, I was just stating something that can happen.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    So you've never had a fuel injector leak? Nitrous oxide injectors are susceptible to the same thing. BTW, did that happen in that Fast and Furious movie or something? I never saw it, I was just stating something that can happen.
    I've never heard of it happening. And it would just catch fire same as the fuel would.

Everyone has a bad idea of Nitrous Oxide but it really isn't that bad.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I've never heard of it happening. And it would just catch fire same as the fuel would.

Everyone has a bad idea of Nitrous Oxide but it really isn't that bad.

Dude I had this video of some morons playing with nitrous on their car I wish I knew where the link was so I could show you. basically they think they have a full proof way to win and the track cheap and run a rubber hose from a nitrous bottle to their cold air intake, then have someone sit in the passenger seat and manually open and close the nitrous bottle. the front end of that car flew 3 feet off the ground. But it wasn't from torque. More like the fireball from the engine exploding.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    So what's alcohol injection do for you?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    makes it easier to talk to chicks. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Oh...I get it now. Thanks umph.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Oh...I get it now. Thanks umph.gif
    Sorry Ian lol3.gif

doc = chassis guy

cra$h, spike, dragon = engine guys

ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Here's your post-joke rimshot 62323415-M.gif

Great humor to start my day, thanks
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Actually Cra$h (sry, forgot your real name...people need to either have sigs or sign their name for people like me with a bad memory), if you had a leaking nitrous injector and parked the car overnight, it would not burn just like gas and would in fact blow up your engine.
    And Ian, I assume you mean methanol water injection? That cools the combustion (and also brings in some more combustable material but that's secondary) so that you can run higher psi boost on an engine without detonation.
    Richard
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Without reading all 100 pages, I'll just submit a couple of pics of something I had the pleasure of driving recently.

25920726-M.jpg

25920976-M.jpg

25921126-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Actually Cra$h (sry, forgot your real name...people need to either have sigs or sign their name for people like me with a bad memory), if you had a leaking nitrous injector and parked the car overnight, it would not burn just like gas and would in fact blow up your engine.
    And Ian, I assume you mean methanol water injection? That cools the combustion (and also brings in some more combustable material but that's secondary) so that you can run higher psi boost on an engine without detonation.
    Richard
    My name is Zac and I'm Andy's son, not sure if you knew that either.

Anyway how can and engine blow up??!! There isn't anything in there to combust (except oil, which burns).

I'm sure there have been accidents with Nawwwzz but as long as you play it safe.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    DirtDOG wrote:
    Without reading all 100 pages, I'll just submit a couple of pics of something I had the pleasure of driving recently.

25921126-M.jpg
    Daaum thats a lot of torque! My car has a whopping 160ish. WOO HOO!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    My name is Zac and I'm Andy's son, not sure if you knew that either.

Anyway how can and engine blow up??!! There isn't anything in there to combust (except oil, which burns).

I'm sure there have been accidents with Nawwwzz but as long as you play it safe.

Well, I mean, it won't be a bomb, it'll just explode internally (as in break up the block and valves and such) and catch fire. I'm not exactly sure how it happens, though I think it's just that when there is too much NO2 in there the explosion is too big for the engine to handle. Also, if you do a full throttle lunch (like at a drag strip) and hit the nitrous to early (i.e. right at the beginning) your engine will catch fire. I know a guy to whom the leaky injector happened and I saw a guy apply it to early and blow it up that way.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Well, I mean, it won't be a bomb, it'll just explode internally (as in break up the block and valves and such) and catch fire. I'm not exactly sure how it happens, though I think it's just that when there is too much NO2 in there the explosion is too big for the engine to handle. Also, if you do a full throttle lunch (like at a drag strip) and hit the nitrous to early (i.e. right at the beginning) your engine will catch fire. I know a guy to whom the leaky injector happened and I saw a guy apply it to early and blow it up that way.

uhg okay you win N02 is bad. Go back to your big gas guzzling engines. I'd rather have a turbo or a wet 50 shot any day. Not only do you get that boost, you also have better gas mileage.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    ian408 wrote:

Alcohol injection is another method to cool air in the cylinder. It kind of like having an intercooler to allow for higher boost levels on regular octane gases without causing detonation.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    ding ding ding! I'm gathering parts...
    A turbo conversion is an expensive project
    Manifolds,
    Exhaust,
    Turbo (I'd be very wary about buying a 2nd hand unit unless it's been reconned mwink.gif)
    MAP sensor
    New injectors
    Dump valve
    re-map or new EMS
    Tubing & misc sensors etc.

Don't you get more bang for your bucks with an NO2 conversion??

I'm sure you've already thought about it, but if you intend to upgrade the power you seriously need to look at upgrading your brakes too.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    A turbo conversion is an expensive project
    Manifolds,
    Exhaust,
    Turbo (I'd be very wary about buying a 2nd hand unit unless it's been reconned mwink.gif)
    MAP sensor
    New injectors
    Dump valve
    re-map or new EMS
    Tubing & misc sensors etc.

Don't you get more bang for your bucks with an NO2 conversion??

I'm sure you've already thought about it, but if you intend to upgrade the power you seriously need to look at upgrading your brakes too.
    I'd say thats pretty much the list. I may get a knock sensor as well but as long as I use 93 octane I should be fine with the boost levels I'm planning (8psi).

There are kits for my engine which run about $5k. Its much cheaper if you know what you're doing because you can find the parts individually. I have a few few friends with the m20 turbo that got all their parts for less than $2k which isn't that bad considering I'll be looking at 250wrhp easilly.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    My today's daily photo just cries to be added here:
    62347541-M.jpg
    "Did anyone ever happen to see an old Audi? I can't recall having ever seen an old one - old Opel, Mercedes and BMW - but Audi? No!" (my actual daily photo caption) :D

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Even in Germany there aren't many old Audi's? In the US there aren't simply because Audi was never popular (Audi only started to pick up in the US in the late 90's). Personally I kinda like the old Audis, though I seem to be alone in that. If only they weren't FWD.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Even in Germany there aren't many old Audi's? In the US there aren't simply because Audi was never popular (Audi only started to pick up in the US in the late 90's). Personally I kinda like the old Audis, though I seem to be alone in that. If only they weren't FWD.
    I'm not very much interested in cars, but when there's a special car I tend to have a closer look. Old one's are usually special, but as I've said this the first old Audi I've seen as far as I can recall, which doesn't mean much. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    gubbs wrote:

I'm sure you've already thought about it, but studying hard so you can finish college with good grades and graduating, then getting a great job, that's way more imporant than modding the engine in a car that YOU HAVEN'T EVEN PAID your old man for yet....
    Hey gubbsie, I fixed that for ya. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Andy, didn't you know? Zac said he was dropping out of college to follow his dream of being an event photographer.rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Speaking of which...saying that reminded me to check your website (something I don't think I've ever done). I never knew that you took such nice photos
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    OK, I guess this is sorta on topic. Anybody know a 4 letter word for "autobahn vehicle" with the last letter being "a"?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    OK, I guess this is sorta on topic. Anybody know a 4 letter word for "autobahn vehicle" with the last letter being "a"?

audi
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
This discussion has been closed.