Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    marlinspike: grumble grumble cars grumble

dragon: grumble girlfriend's are a pain grumble cars grumble.

Am I the only one that sees a match made in heaven??? lol3.gif
    rolleyes1.gif Edited to use less words.

I'd rather buy an american car.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    marlinspike: grumble grumble cars grumble

dragon: grumble girlfriend's are a pain grumble cars grumble.

Am I the only one that sees a match made in heaven??? lol3.gif

I don't swing that way doc.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    ANDY......

Hows the car hunt going?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 3, 2006
    ANDY......

Hows the car hunt going?
    I think we lost Andy back on page 90. Anyway I am trading cars with him, for now at least.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I think we lost Andy back on page 90. Anyway I am trading cars with him, for now at least.

April fools was saturday.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    April fools was saturday.
    no but srsly
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    ANDY......

Hows the car hunt going?

Still in the hunt.
    Cra$h wrote:
    keep dreaming boy....
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    I liked the discussion on car movies.

Has anyone seen Gone in 60 Seconds? There were so many exotics in that one and some sweet chases. Glad they didn't make a second one.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I liked the discussion on car movies.

Has anyone seen Gone in 60 Seconds? There were so many exotics in that one and some sweet chases. Glad they didn't make a second one.

I know I am the exception but that movie was kinda boring to me at least. It was just lacking something.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    I know I am the exception but that movie was kinda boring to me at least. It was just lacking something.
    Well you're an Asian car guy and they didn't have any Asian cars in that movie IIRC.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Well you're an Asian car guy and they didn't have any Asian cars in that movie IIRC.

But they had angelina jolie. But that just wasn't enough to carry the plot.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 3, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Glad they didn't make a second one.
    Ever seen City Slickers?

"day ain't over yet"
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    Are you guys talking about the original goen in 60 seconds or the remake with nicholas cage? Honestly both were bad, but as much as I wanted the original to be better, it wasn't. I think the problem is that a movie can't just be all car chases, that gets old fast, unless it's done extremely well like in Le Mans, but even that has a huge story going on outside of the race.
    Another movie to watch: Grand Prix. This nice thing about these movies (Grand Prix, Bullitt, Le Mans) is that they're from back when the actors were also drivers (at least most of the time, WB hated to let McQueen do his own stunts so he usually had to fight them, and often lost).

And of course there is the Mad Max trilogy (though I don't think he had his car in the third one, still yu watch two you have to watch the third)...if only Mel would get off his damn high horse and make the fourth one...it always irks me when someone thinks he's too good to leave with the one that brung him.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    gubbs wrote:

I'm sure you've already thought about it, but studying hard so you can finish college with good grades and graduating, then getting a great job, that's way more imporant than modding the engine in a car that YOU HAVEN'T EVEN PAID your old man for yet....
    Andy wrote:
    Hey gubbsie, I fixed that for ya. deal.gif
    Thanks andy!!! That is, in fact, exactly what I meant to say :uhoh
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hence the new name.

Richard- go study, or shoot!
    Zac - get to the damn library!

rolleyes1.gif I should shut this thread down. It's detrimental to my customers and my Son.
    Bah, I earned some free time. I handed in a paper a couple hours ago, quite good in my opinion. Haven't slept since I woke up 7am on Monday. But you're right, time to read me some John Mueller. If I want any hope of having my car down here for my senior year, I best come home with A's. Oh, and I have a baseball game to shoot at 6 so blbl.gif

Don't mean to brag (yes I do) but I got that paper back. For the first time in my life, I got an A on a paper graded by this prof (I've had at least one class/year taught by him for the last three years). I've gotten A-/A's before, but never A's. In fact, I've only seen one other paper graded by him to have an A on it over the last three years, so that tells you what this prof feels about handing out A's.clap.gif
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    From the way back (~2 months ago) machine...
    DoctorIt wrote:
    This thread needs some freshening up. New topic.

Would you trade this (02 Ranger):

for this (06 CLK350):

Discuss. This should be fun, you bunch of elitist snobs you!! lol3.gif
    My turn..

What would you trade this for:
    35085377.jpg

Yes, that is just about the same truck DoctorIt owned.. except a year newer. (But w/ more miles, or so he told me by PM.)

Unfortunately my pockets aren't quite as deep as the Doctor's.. No Benzes fer me. I'm in the market for a small sport-wagon or a hatchback under say $25k. I'm about to move and enlarge my daily commute quite a bit, so mileage is a big concern. So far my short list looks like this:

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Wagon
    steelgraymetallic.jpg

2006 Mazda 3 2.3 5-door
    3sport4dr-gs.jpg

Or I could be just like DoctorIt and go for one of these:
    2006 VW GTI
    vw2006gti1765665m.jpg

My buddy is pushing the GTI. Both his family and mine have been long-time VW drivers. He's just upgraded to a barely used Jetta GLI w/ the VR6.. a very nice car. I practically grew up in the back of a Rabit. The first (reliable) car I ever owned was an '86 Jetta, so VW's hold a special place in my heart.

Unfortunately the GTI is turbo charged. That's a huge mark against it. I'm not especially interested in anything that won't drink regular 85/87 octane. My buddy swore the GTI was available w/ the N/A VR6. Seems not..

The subie gets it's nod because it has AWD. I figure it'd be about unstopable come winter time; everyone and their brother around here drives one. But I admit part of that mentality is probably because I've been driving (compact) pickups for the last 8-10 years. Pickups absoloutely suck up this way come winter time.. unless you've got 4WD available. I drove FWD cars through New England winters for years before going pickup, so I don't see why I can't do so again.

I am uninterested in the WRX as its turbo-charger requires high-test. I'm not that much of a high-perf car nut, and have more time than money; I'm in no hurry. Besides, I've got a motorcycle to go fast! :D

Like Erik, I am interested to hear what ya'll think if my choices..
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Like Erik, I am interested to hear what ya'll think if my choices..
    All of your choice except the subie suck. I say get the subie or look at some nissans. thumb.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Unfortunately my pockets aren't quite as deep as the Doctor's.. No Benzes fer me. I'm in the market for a small sport-wagon or a hatchback under say $25k. I'm about to move and enlarge my daily commute quite a bit, so mileage is a big concern. So far my short list looks like this:

You know, you can get the Audi A3 for within your budget. I mean, ok, so it's pushing the limit of the budget (a base A3 comes to 25,460 after including the destination charge), but since just about anything a person could want is standard (unless you want leather, but personally I think cloth is better) that's about all you'd pay, and since there is always room for haggling, I bet you could make one with leather even fit in the budget cap. It's the 2.0T engine, so it does need 91 octane, but it gets better fuel mileage than that subaru and it is justs 2mpg worse in the city (and the same on the highway) as that Mazda. I figured I'd mentio this since you said "no Benzes fer me," so I'm guessing you didn't think to look at Audi.
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    You know, you can get the Audi A3 for within your budget. I mean, ok, so it's pushing the limit of the budget (a base A3 comes to 25,460 after including the destination charge)
    I'd rather have the VW for $25k loaded (incl. leather) than the Audi for the same. Of course the Mazda can be had for $5k less, even w/ leather. (I actually kinda would like leather, particularly if it's going to be a european make.)

Haggle? Geez, yer right, I'm going to have to shine up my haggling & BS skills, aren't I? I've never shopped for an import. W/ domestics (especially pickups) you just shop every dealer in your area and buy from dealer stock. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am..

Although I might look used at first. I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a used Impreza I saw recently. Used obviously rules out the new GTI though..
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Just so long as we don't see you behind the wheel of this.

christmas%20002%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    (I actually kinda would like leather, particularly if it's going to be a european make.)

I often forget that people don't keep cars as long as our family does. My dislike for leather is because after 15-20 years it starts to show its age.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Just so long as we don't see you behind the wheel of this.

I wonder what that bumper sticker means.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    I like my leather seats

61018926-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 4, 2006
    You know, you can get the Audi A3 for within your budget.
    did you chime in after I bought my GTI or did you not read a word of my buying and owning impressions of the car? The base A3, while mechanically the same as GTI, has all the appeal of an old sock. No, really. The interior of the A3 without the premium package is right on par with MrsIt's 2 year old base Jetta. Everything is black, the steering wheel is a very boring, thin, and just all around wimpy 4-spoke design. Not to mention it does NOT come with HID headlights, very sport seats, 6disc in-dash stereo, and a whole list of other goodies that you DO get on the base GTI, at 3K less. Oh, my bad, you get 4 doors, but in the fall when the 5 door GTI comes out, that will be a moot point. The A3 is sweet, but ONLY if you opt for the premium package and the quattro, at which point you are at about 32k. You may have done your homework online, but perhaps you need to drive both to be convinced.

If you were gonna push 25k, you'd be better off putting more options on the VW.

Now, Bubba, I think I've already given you all my input, so you know that it's not my pockets that are that much deeper, my truck was just mint-er. :D

If you guys haven't figured it out by now, I don't really care for Subies. I think the AWD, while nice, is unrefined, and good lord, don't get me started on life inside a subaru (see above comment about old sock, same goes for subie, but with even lower quality and feel)! I've said it once and I'll say it again, I'd be a big Subie fan if they were all priced cheaper, like 2-3k cheaper. To me, having the same old "economy quality level" car, but with AWD that only adds a bunch of weight and really sucks gas, isn't worth it. I've been hearing really bad things about Subaru efficiency - people getting as low as 20mpg out of a little sedan! No thanks - Bubba, pay attention here, you did say your commute was increasing!

Mazda3 5-door. I like it. Not as much soul as a GTI, not nearly as good dynamics, about the same amount of space inside. Built pretty well. Cheaper than GTI. If this is a more practical decision, this is the winner. It's the least expensive, but not at all a "cheap" car. By far the most economical.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    get an e34 m5

M501.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva]A blonde, wanting to earn some money, decided to hire herself out as a handyman-type and started canvassing a wealthy neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had any jobs for her to do.

"Well, you can paint my porch. How much will you charge?"
    The blonde said, "How about 50 dollars?" The man agreed and told her that the paint and ladders that she might need were in the garage. The man's wife, inside the house, heard the conversation and said to her husband, "Does she realize that the porch goes all the way around the house?"
    The man replied, "She should. She was standing on the porch."

A short time later, the blonde came to the door to collect her money.
    "You're finished already?" he asked. "Yes," the blonde answered, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats. "Impressed, the man reached in his pocket for the $50. "And by the way," the blonde added, "that's not a Porch, it's a Ferrari."
    [/FONT]
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva]A blonde, wanting to earn some money, decided to hire herself out as a handyman-type and started canvassing a wealthy neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had any jobs for her to do.

"Well, you can paint my porch. How much will you charge?"
    The blonde said, "How about 50 dollars?" The man agreed and told her that the paint and ladders that she might need were in the garage. The man's wife, inside the house, heard the conversation and said to her husband, "Does she realize that the porch goes all the way around the house?"
    The man replied, "She should. She was standing on the porch."

A short time later, the blonde came to the door to collect her money.
    "You're finished already?" he asked. "Yes," the blonde answered, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats. "Impressed, the man reached in his pocket for the $50. "And by the way," the blonde added, "that's not a Porch, it's a Ferrari."
    [/FONT]
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    did you chime in after I bought my GTI or did you not read a word of my buying and owning impressions of the car?

I think I must have joined this thread long after that.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I like my leather seats

Thank you for proving my point.:D
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Thank you for proving my point.:D
    Perhaps, but leather is easier to clean (i.e. baby ejections) than cloth.
    Chris
This discussion has been closed.