Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 7, 2006
    Did you guys hear about the horrific F1 accident?

F1.jpg
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Did you guys hear about the horrific F1 accident?
    rolleyes1.gif Good one and a nice photo, but this isn't yours or how come it's not pointing to a SM account?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Funny, though I can't say it didn't bring to mind the horrific indy crash that happened last week in which Paul Dana died.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    I thought it was funny, I grabbed it from another forum.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I thought it was funny, I grabbed it from another forum.

[andy voice] GO STUDY [/andy voice]
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    I actually hear the off-road junkies speak very favorably of the H3. They say the H1 would be better, if it weren't for the price. And the H2 was just way too big and not capable enough. But the H3 is supposedly just right. Supposedly it's quite capable. .. Me personally I think I'd rather have a Jeep.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And my ranger would do it even under not so hard acceleration lol3.gif
    You needed a set of these:
    medium.jpg

Seriously one of the cheapest mods w/ the biggest payoff I ever did to ol' truckzilla.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Been doing mucho reading up on Mazda3's lately. Have to say, hearing a lot I like..

MZ3_001.jpg

I'd give the kid that owned that thing credit.. but I can't for the life of me remember where I got that from!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 7, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    You needed a set of these:
    medium.jpg

Seriously one of the cheapest mods w/ the biggest payoff I ever did to ol' truckzilla.
    what's that? like a secondary panhard rod on bushings?
    headscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Been doing mucho reading up on Mazda3's lately. Have to say, hearing a lot I like..

I'm very happy with mine thumb.gif

It's put together well, fun to drive and gets half way decent mileage.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    BTW dad was eyeing one of these babies last weekend mwink.gif

2006_chevy_hhr_2.jpg

I had one of those as a rental car a while back. I know there are some people out there that like them, but I absolutely hated it. The stupid chop-top hot-rod thing they've tried to do makes it a) hard to get in and out of and b) hard to see out of. At more than one intersection I was having to lean over so I could look up and see the stop light.

It's hard to see in this picture, but the lower rear corner of the front doors is squared off. I guess it's done for styling ne_nau.gif I do know that the door caught me on the back of the leg once when I started stepping away from the car and shuting the door behind me. Hurt like hell.

Not sure what engine they put in this thing. Noisy and no power... that's all I know.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    ttt
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    Are you just waking up, or still awake? Either way, I'm impressed.
    Erik

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Are you just waking up, or still awake? Either way, I'm impressed.

lol3.gif I remember those days. About now, 830am Sunday morning, it'd be off to the greasy spoon, for breakfast, then sleep
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    wow, to be honest with you I didn't realize it was that early. So that means that I was still awake :cry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited April 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif I remember those days. About now, 830am Sunday morning, it'd be off to the greasy spoon, for breakfast, then sleep

Been there, done that too. In fact, a couple of months ago on a road trip for
    work. Only I didn't get to go home and sleep the rest of the day lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    Okay, so I'm not sure if you're looking for actual photography of cars here, or not. I'll submit this one anyway.

This was selected as the "Photo of the Day", for Jan 24-06, at http://www.dailydigitalphoto.com/cgi-bin/potd/potd.pl?day=24&month=1&year=2006. Had I had my white balance adjusted correctly (too cool), I might have taken POTM (althought I admit, the highlites are a little blown-out).

Here's the pic, with the WB corrected. The only other thing, that I'd like do diff. now, is to blur out the background, some more.

Oh, the story behind this image is, that I was working at a NASCAR event (work for NEXTEL),when I came across this beast. It was parked at the far end of a field, right next to a security booth. It was clearly driven there, but not a spec. Not even in the treads.

Let me know what you think...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    Wow what a nice shot. It's so hard to photograph white cars.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words Cra$h...
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    R Johns wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words Cra$h...
    No problem. I saw a Ford GT the other day in my farm town. I really didn't expect to see one there.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    No problem. I saw a Ford GT the other day in my farm town. I really didn't expect to see one there.

Your dad didn't expect you to find it there either. Now where is he gonna hide it from you.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    what's that? like a secondary panhard rod on bushings?
    headscratch.gif
    Other way dude. It is an over-the-leaf traction bar. Pictured is the front of the bar, which attaches to the forward spring mount on the frame. In the background you can just see the other end of the bar attached to a bracket off the top of the axle u-bolts. It prevents (well, reduces) axle warp and has cut down on a lot of the hop I used to experience in heavy throttle and/or low traction situations..

I made a whole gallery of shots to share w/ others as it was not a 100% bolt-on install for the LII w/ the 31-spline axle.
    cletus wrote:
    I'm very happy with mine thumb.gif

It's put together well, fun to drive and gets half way decent mileage.
    May hold out for an '07. Word has it the Mazda3 will get a 6-speed manual! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Other way dude. It is an over-the-leaf traction bar. Pictured is the front of the bar, which attaches to the forward spring mount on the frame. In the background you can just see the other end of the bar attached to a bracket off the top of the axle u-bolts. It prevents (well, reduces) axle warp and has cut down on a lot of the hop I used to experience in heavy throttle and/or low traction situations..
    Duh, I should've noticed those were leaf-springs in the first photo. But you controlled your depth of field too well...

lol3.gif

You're right, a pretty simple fix. Almost makes me wonder why its not more common on light truck suspensions. Now I'm curious... truck suspensions is a whole 'nother world.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 10, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Duh, I should've noticed those were leaf-springs in the first photo. But you controlled your depth of field too well...
    Hey! Weren't you the one that was going on about this illegal 'photography' talk going down in a car talk thread?!?

Like I said, these were snappies for web distribution to show others. I even used a P&S! :uhoh
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Yo Doc.. Seen this? +50 HP on yer 'dub..
    I'm gonna have to agree with C&D on that one. Sounds like it could be a bit unruly, not as refined as the VW, which I think strikes a truly good balance between hot-rod and daily driver. Remember, I'm an old man that turns up his nose at all the v-dub kids who have "chip it!" tattooed on their arms.

that said, if this Mazda was out, I would have given it a drive. nod.gif

I had a '99 Protege, total stripped base model, and in terms of full ownership experience, including driving experience, it was one of the best I've ever had.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    Ha.. yeah, should be an interesting car to read about. I'll never drive one. Way too much go for this man. When it's all said and done, I just need to get to work in the AM, that's all, thanks so much.

In fact the GTI won't even get a test-drive outta me. I've stricken all turbo/supercharged cars from my list. I just can't/won't pay for premium.

That reduces the shortlist to:
    • Mazda 3 2.3L Hatch ('5-door')
    • VW Golf 2.0L
    • Ford Focus ZX5 2.0L
    • Subie Impreza 2.5i
    All small wagons or 4-door hatches, all small 2.5L or smaller I4's. The focus really doesn't look that interesting.. it just makes the list for completeness..
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    That reduces the shortlist to:
    • Mazda 3 2.3L Hatch ('5-door')
    • VW Golf 2.0L
    • Ford Focus ZX5 2.0L
    • Subie Impreza 2.5i
    All small wagons or 4-door hatches, all small 2.5L or smaller I4's. The focus really doesn't look that interesting.. it just makes the list for completeness..
    Just curious (I really don't mean to offend anyone).

Why not take the money (that would be spent to buy one of those cars), and just by a 4th gen. TA or Camaro, instead?

I can't imagine, that you'd ever look back, once you pushed one of those pedals to the floor...

Sincerely,

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    R Johns wrote:

Why not take the money (that would be spent to buy one of those cars), and just by a 4th gen. TA or Camaro, instead?

I can't imagine, that you'd ever look back, once you pushed one of those pedals to the floor...

Sincerely,

Russ

Yassir, here's a second for a Firebird WS6 (aka ram air). Sure is fun to have a manual transmission in first gear with your feet off the clutch, off the gas, the engine at idle, and not stall. Kick it in the ass lemme hear them pipes.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    R Johns wrote:

Sincerely,

Russ
    rolleyes1.gif Sorry I don't think that would fly in this thread. 98% of us are either European or Japanese car fans.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Sorry I don't think that would fly in this thread. 98% of us are either European or Japanese car fans.

Yay, I'm in the 2%, I'm special!
This discussion has been closed.