Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Fine then, new Mustang GT is under 30k.

Ahh when I was your guys age I drove a '67 red mustang convertible 389 3-speed it was way fast. Faster than fast.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 5, 2006
    No Ford's either. He want's an SUV.

There are really only like 10 options dad.

(Supercharged Nissan Pathfinder)
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Ahh when I was your guys age I drove a '67 red mustang convertible 389 3-speed it was way fast. Faster than fast.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So, don't you want to relive your youth? Come on, you know you want to, and like you said you need 2 SUVs like a hole in the head.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    He wants a NEW car. No Chevy's.

man, i didnt think you were THAT blinded by your bimmerlieb.

that H3 IS a Chevy trailblazer. 11doh.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    No Ford's either. He want's an SUV.

There are really only like 10 options dad.

(Supercharged Nissan Pathfinder)

Damn right. Nissan pathfinder do it dude do it.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    H3 = Trailblaizer? Daum!

Anyway, yeah that SC Nissan would be perfect.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited April 6, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    black.700.jpg

OMG dad get that. They're even less than $30k!

So badass.

Maybe so. But the "badasses" that own them seem to think they need two
    spaces to park...

How's the trade going?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 6, 2006
    Fine then, new Mustang GT is under 30k.
    Yeah seriously, this is one of the best deals going in cars right now. If you aren't looking for any sort of practicality, but for emotion, I don't know how you can beat a current Mustang GT.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    He want's

You get an F. Back to English class with you.

Sigh.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You get an F. Back to English class with you.

Sigh.

So Mustang should win by default then. A ford mechanic/race car engine builder that I know says that that car is solid, in fact, I asked him last month if one has come into the shop yet and he said the shop (at a dealership) hasn't needed to do any work on a mustang yet (so that's what, like a whole year after they came out) because the car has no kinks to work out so it's pretty rock solid reliable.

Mustang....you know you want to (that should be their ad campaign).
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    So Mustang should win by default then. A ford mechanic/race car engine builder that I know says that that car is solid, in fact, I asked him last month if one has come into the shop yet and he said the shop (at a dealership) hasn't needed to do any work on a mustang yet (so that's what, like a whole year after they came out) because the car has no kinks to work out so it's pretty rock solid reliable.
    It shouldn't have any kinks. I mean come on, it took them over 5 years to release the car! It was already well into design and prototyping when I was working at Ford. The platform it's on was already somewhat fleshed out and tested on the Tbird, and yes, Lincoln LS. They ended up scrapping the independant rear and morphing the platform, but it had roots, so therefore less kinks. Ford may screw up other stuff, but the Mustang is their only non-truck bread and butter. It had to be perfect.
    Mustang....you know you want to (that should be their ad campaign).
    It couldn't be any worse than what they have now, with the car showing off it's ridiculous rear axle hop! Do any of you other guys cringe when you see that? Not once, but twice in the same commercial!
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It couldn't be any worse than what they have now, with the car showing off it's ridiculous rear axle hop! Do any of you other guys cringe when you see that? Not once, but twice in the same commercial!

You ever driven a car that's peeling out so hard the SA is hopping up and down? It's a feeling of raw power than no car with IRS can have.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    You ever driven a car that's peeling out so hard the SA is hopping up and down? It's a feeling of raw power than no car with IRS can have.
    Spike, I spent days on a test track doing hard accelerations trying to get rid of this "feature". It is not good, it's a sign of a poorly balanced suspension.

And my ranger would do it even under not so hard acceleration lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Spike, I spent days on a test track doing hard accelerations trying to get rid of this "feature". It is not good, it's a sign of a poorly balanced suspension.

And my ranger would do it even under not so hard acceleration lol3.gif

Well now that you've basically established yourself as an industry insider, my curiousity is killing me: in what aspects of automotives do you work?
    If they wanted to get rid of it, they should have just used IRS, but since you can't have a good cheap IRS, what Ford should have done is made it a true muscle car with absolutely no frills and power nothing...still though, it's a great car for the money.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    Well now that you've basically established yourself as an industry insider, my curiousity is killing me: in what aspects of automotives do you work?
    If they wanted to get rid of it, they should have just used IRS, but since you can't have a good cheap IRS, what Ford should have done is made it a true muscle car with absolutely no frills and power nothing...still though, it's a great car for the money.
    lol cartalk thread n00b. Not your fault but I think we talked about this on page 20 or something.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    lol cartalk thread n00b. Not your fault but I think we talked about this on page 20 or something.

Yeah...I'm not going to read through all of that, so I guess I'm destined to wonder...or just not care anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    Yeah...I'm not going to read through all of that, so I guess I'm destined to wonder...or just not care anymore.

Lazy. I have read every page in this thread.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    Lazy. I have read every page in this thread.
    +1 and I've had 3 usernames through it.

haha if anyone ever digs this thread up and decides to read they will be so confused.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    short version: I was a vehicle dynamics engineer at Ford - I quit to go back for a PhD, that I'm finishing up this year. Trained as an subjective evaluator (hence the track time I've had) and objective as well (thats where the engineering degree came in - accelerometers and such).

I also like walks at the beach and fuzzy slippers.
    We're talking two different things: commercial, and real-life. You don't have to have IRS to eliminate axle hop. The geometry has to be right. That said, the tires, the surface, all could have been made "ideal" for the commercial. A smooth burnout would have portrayed a better car than a hopping rear axle.

But maybe I'm wrong. Seems muscle car guys like and recognize that sort of raw power as good. But, as a suspension and chassis guy, it makes me cringe.
    Erik

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    I've got another car daily photo:
    This smart Fiat Polski lile the role model of the Smart. They just squeezed the front and back more and named it Smart. (no offence meant to both cars- I'm just saying)
    63258707-M.jpg

So what do you say about my theory? mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    I think your theory is a good one. Neat little cars those fiats... my granddad had one in the 90's.

61307430-M.jpg

that's my grandma in the photo. she's a small lady, so you can imagine how small the car is!
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    Smaller than the Mini Man's car?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    61307430-Th.jpg
    that's my grandma in the photo. she's a small lady, so you can imagine how small the car is!
    That's a nice photo of your grandma - wasn't that back in Czech? I guess there those cars were wide spread at the time.
    Now-a-days you see an increasing number of Smarts in Germany. In a couple of years those will be dated too and some other small car comes up.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Smaller than the Mini Man's car?
    I think the Fiat is half the size of a Mini... in fact, I think the Fiat could be smaller than the current smart as well. I remember when I visited my grandparents for the summer when I was 13 or so. At my age and size (I was a scrawny kid), the car seemed pretty perfect for me.

Yes Sebastian, that is most certainly somewhere in CZ, can't say for sure where. My grandpa took it on one of their outings.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    I'm going back to RWD!

BTW dad was eyeing one of these babies last weekend mwink.gif

2006_chevy_hhr_2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I'm going back to RWD!
    Wow, so you managed to keep that car for a month or so?
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I'm going back to RWD!

So how bad was the AWD car smashed? I TOLD YOU SO. I knew you would revert.

Oh and might I add that your father is a sick sick man and needs help. A chevy HHR. It's american for one, it's chevy for another, and it's a knock off of a chrysler retro attempt. Someone needs to have that man commited to a psych ward for his own protection before he signs on one of those acts of evil.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Yeah the HHR looks like a giant colored turd.

325ix is still in great shape, I just miss a 5 speed. Plus I made $1000 which I can't complain.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I think your theory is a good one. Neat little cars those fiats... my granddad had one in the 90's.

61307430-Ti.jpg

Now *that's* a Mini!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I'm going back to RWD!

2006_chevy_hhr_2.jpg

I WAS NOT!

Not a smart move by someone who's looking to bum another wad of cash from me.

Andy (---> goes to set "ignore" button on IM)
This discussion has been closed.