Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 4, 2006
    And my leather isn't that bad. It's not cracked too bad or ripped at all. It's also very supple.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    You have to admit though, it doesn't look as good as fabric (or even a quality vinyl like MB Tex) would.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    You have to admit though, it doesn't look as good as fabric (or even a quality vinyl like MB Tex) would.
    eek7.gif I think leather looks way better than those.

I would rather have cloth for racing/spirited driving thogh. Less sliding around.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    eek7.gif I think leather looks way better than those.

I would rather have cloth for racing/spirited driving thogh. Less sliding around.

I think you misunderstood. What I'm saying is that for a car of that age, that leather doesn't look too bad, but it looks FAR from new. On the other hand, if a car that age had fabric or MB Tex in it, and was given similar care, it would still look like new.
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Meh. I dunno what 'quality vinyl like MB Tex' is. What I do know is that my buddy's new VW w/ the heated seats is pretty damned sweet! I won't be autox'ing, just driving to work..
    I think I must have joined this thread long after that.
    The Dr's purchase was introduced around page 35.. I know because I spent the afternoon re-reading this entire thread! It's change a lot in the last month or so since I posted to it! He actually traded nearly the same truck I had. That, and several other things, got me seriously thinking..

Doc: I'm a little surprised to hear you say you like the Mazda. I know I was surprised to like it myself. My GF bought a Toyota Prius back in '03. We took off for about a month driving it cross country (awesome experience) and piled some very hard miles on it very quickly. Last summer she got an offer she just couldn't refuse on the car-the Prius is very very popular in these parts-and traded it for a Mazda 3. I wanted her to go for the hatch.. but she didn't listen and landed in a base model sedan instead. She also refuses to drive stick, so it's an autotragic. The new Mazda's (or at least the 3's) have manually shiftable autos. Vauguely like the tiptronic system. Except it isn't very sporty. When you yank on the lever it's more like a suggestion to the trans than an order. It eventually shifts, but you don't feel like you have a heck of a lot of control. Besides, it's only a 4-speed. It just loses all it's pep right around 40-50 MPH. I just have to think the 5-speed manual equipped cars are a little more fun. I've been meaning to go do some more formal tire kicking.

I think the hatch would fit me well. The only catch is I'd need to put a hitch on it. I don't tow much (< 2000#), and I don't tow often, but I do need to tow. The rest (bikes, kayaks, runs to the lumbah yahd) I can probably fix w/ roof racks.

Oh, that and it's 100% made in Japan, so it's bad for the karma. You know, that whole 'buy American' thing.. Not that any of my other choices are any better. There isn't a single domestic made vehicle-nevermind domestic make (is there such thing anymore?!?)-that interests me at all.

But yah, the Mazda3 has my attention. Looks like it could be a fun daily driver.

I'm not sure I agree about the subies though. They may not be quite up to the likes of BMW, MB, Audi or maybe even VW, but they last. As you fellas discussed months ago, there's a difference between reliablity and fit-and-finish quality. I'm not necessarily hell-bent on the fit-and-finish. I've been driving Ford pickuptrucks for the past 8 years afterall! The Impreza still caries a lot of apeal. It's got a more capacity than the hatches do too!

And believe it or not, as equipped the Impreza comes out cheaper than the Mazda. Mostly because I loaded the Mazda down w/ just about everything I could save the nav system, including leather, which isn't even an option on the Subie.

Any body else know of any other decent, <$25k 'sport' wagons? The Mazda 6 Wagon hit the radar for about 5 min.. until I realized it was a V6. It's mileage isn't that much better than my pickup!
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Admittedly, off-road is the one arena I don't have much experience in. Not for lack of trying though.
    naughty.gif

26155539-S.jpg

It's just that I wuss out too easily, because the consequences of pulling a stuck 6000 lb truck out of the woods is a much more complex thing than even a (very heavy at) 600 lb motorbike.
    I know this is an old post.. but I just had to comment. All you need is a friend w/ one of these:
    48405417.jpg

:D

Although I have to say the LII package on these Rangers is pretty impressive in my book. I've yet to have mine stuck.. which I consider pretty remarkable!
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    What do you guys think of this e30? It is a hybrid between two submodels of the e30. There is the 325e and the 325i. This is a 325 "super e" which means it has slightly different pistons than the 325e.

The 325e is the economy engine although it is 2.7l. the 325i is the performance version at 2.5l. The "super e" is 2.7l but since it has different pistons, one can take the head from the 325i and put it on the "super e" and you have a 327i.

Stock "super e" 130bhp
    stroked 327i 180hp

I found it in NY and the guy will trade me plus give me $1000 cash.

DSC06452.JPG

DSC06465.JPG

DSC06466.JPG

DSC06468.JPG

With the $1000 I could easilly do that head swap and get some decent suspension in there.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    BTW Dragon, another movie to see, especially if you like Gumball Rally, is The Cannonball Run...plus for a asian car fan as you appear to be, there's Jackie Chan driving a subaru.

Zack, why don't you get a real bimmer like a 633? I'm guessing a 635 is out of the budget is why I recommend the 33. Actually, here's a 635 that might fit the budget, I forget what your iX cost you
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-BMW-635csi-5-Speed-NO-RUST-Southern-Car-635-633_W0QQitemZ4627720077QQcategoryZ6129QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Zack, why don't you get a real bimmer like a 633? I'm guessing a 635 is out of the budget is why I recommend the 33. Actually, here's a 635 that might fit the budget, I forget what your iX cost you
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-BMW-635csi-5-Speed-NO-RUST-Southern-Car-635-633_W0QQitemZ4627720077QQcategoryZ6129QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Problem is that those are big heavy ass cars that don't even compare to the handling of the e30. I happen to think the e30 is one of the last real BMW's anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Plus my 327i stroker will put down way more hp than that old turd of a motor in the 633.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Plus my 327i stroker will put down way more hp than that old turd of a motor in the 633.
    Then how about a 635, or if you have money to burn an E24 M6. At least that way it won't look like you drive a volvo rolleyes1.gifCan you tell I'm not a big E30 fan? Honestly, I don't have a reason for it, I just am not a fan. And what's with this weight thing anyways? I saw you harping on Doc because his car weighs 3200lbs...that's supposed to be a lot? There's nothing quite like carrying 4100lbs around a corner at 70. Oh, and the 635 isn't even that heavy, it's like 3100lbs.

On a more realistic note....I don't think the E30 was the last of the real BMWs. Honestly, I think BMWs peak were the E31 E38 and E39. As much as we like to harken back to the old BMWs like the 2002 and E30 and some even like the E34, they always were the lesser of the top two German car companies.

Also, isn't the iX more useful for those NY winters?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    What do you guys think???...

I found it in NY and the guy will trade me plus give me $1000 cash.
    Have you been tested for ADD?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 5, 2006
    wait a minute, you're Andy's son, so it's genetic. I therefore retract that last question.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Then how about a 635, or if you have money to burn an E24 M6. At least that way it won't look like you drive a volvo rolleyes1.gifCan you tell I'm not a big E30 fan? Honestly, I don't have a reason for it, I just am not a fan. And what's with this weight thing anyways? I saw you harping on Doc because his car weighs 3200lbs...that's supposed to be a lot? There's nothing quite like carrying 4100lbs around a corner at 70. Oh, and the 635 isn't even that heavy, it's like 3100lbs.

On a more realistic note....I don't think the E30 was the last of the real BMWs. Honestly, I think BMWs peak were the E31 E38 and E39. As much as we like to harken back to the old BMWs like the 2002 and E30 and some even like the E34, they always were the lesser of the top two German car companies.
    Havn't you ever heard of power to weight ratio? It's very important. A stock e30 (non 325ix) weighs about 2800lbs and from there it is very easy to take another 150lbs off. 180hp under a car that only weighs 2650lbs is a very good ratio. The e24 weighs 3500 BTW and the engine (M30) is an old turd.

You think the e31 is a real BMW? That thing was way too advanced for its times. If you let it sit for one week, bothe the batteries in the trunk would be dead becaues of all the electronics it has. The only good e31 was the 850CSI.

roffle at Doc.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Havn't you ever heard of power to weight ratio? It's very important. A stock e30 (non 325ix) weighs about 2800lbs and from there it is very easy to take another 150lbs off. 180hp under a car that only weighs 2650lbs is a very good ratio. The e24 weighs 3500 BTW and the engine (M30) is an old turd.

You think the e31 is a real BMW? That thing was way too advanced for its times. If you let it sit for one week, bothe the batteries in the trunk would be dead becaues of all the electronics it has. The only good e31 was the 850CSI.

roffle at Doc.

Yeah, I know power to weight...just get more power. But where do you get that the E24 is 3500lbs...are the US versions heavier than the euro's or something? Also, yeah, when I say e31 I mean 850csi...the ci was a dog and the 840 was lame, but the 850csi is both the pinnacle and epitomy of teutonic engineering.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Yeah, I know power to weight...just get more power. But where do you get that the E24 is 3500lbs...are the US versions heavier than the euro's or something?
    Uhh quick google search. If you can find otherwise, please let us know.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Andy started me out on his auto Plymouth Acclaim :D

m141210.jpg

That was a sweet car deal.gif
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    did you chime in after I bought my GTI or did you not read a word of my buying and owning impressions of the car? The base A3, while mechanically the same as GTI, has all the appeal of an old sock. No, really. The interior of the A3 without the premium package is right on par with MrsIt's 2 year old base Jetta. Everything is black, the steering wheel is a very boring, thin, and just all around wimpy 4-spoke design. Not to mention it does NOT come with HID headlights, very sport seats, 6disc in-dash stereo, and a whole list of other goodies that you DO get on the base GTI, at 3K less. Oh, my bad, you get 4 doors, but in the fall when the 5 door GTI comes out, that will be a moot point. The A3 is sweet, but ONLY if you opt for the premium package and the quattro, at which point you are at about 32k. You may have done your homework online, but perhaps you need to drive both to be convinced.

Waaay cool website:

http://www.vwfeatures.com/

My loaded GTI totaled $29K !!!! And no dvd stuff or nav for that price. Sunroof, 17" upgrades, autostick w/paddles (sorry, I gotta have auto), leather, aero kit.

The test drive is great. The test drive is customized with the options you choose. And Helga goes along for the ride and talk about your chosen features!

And you can customize your "Fast".
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    black.700.jpg

OMG dad get that. They're even less than $30k!

So badass.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    black.700.jpg

So badass.

Thats tooo much car for your dad to try and handle.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Uhh quick google search. If you can find otherwise, please let us know.

Well, I just checked on the unixnerd (http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html) The 635 is what I was thinking of (1430kg = 3152lbs) but even the 633 is 1495kg = 3296lbs.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:

So badass.
    Do you really think those are badass? If you do, I really don't know what to think anymore. Even Hummer knows to market those to housewives in their commercials (unlike the H1 which they market to guys who are poorly endowed...and I'm not kidding, I've know 6 people with an H1, all guys, all under 5foot 7)
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Yeah but my dad isn't about to spend over $30 grand on a car.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Yeah but my dad isn't about to spend over $30 grand on a car.
    Cameras, lenses, etc - yes.
    Car - NO.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    'spike and cra$h

STUDY - BOOKS - LIBRARY

deal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    'spike and cra$h

STUDY - BOOKS - LIBRARY

deal.gif
    I have NOTHING due tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, I have nothing due until the.....TWENTY-FOURTH! I'm not sure how this happened, but it has. I mean, sure I have reading assigments, but I'm all caught up on those. WOOOO HOOOO. For once maybe I can get more than 10 hours of sleep over a 6 day period.
    And will you at least look at the car links I posted? You'd think I'd take the opportunity to get ahead on things...oh well.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    black.700.jpg

So badass.
    badass not so much.

Chevy_Trailblazer_Front.jpg
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    He wants a NEW car. No Chevy's.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Cra$h wrote: